Community Forum

Which HD channels are NOT in 5.1 surround sound

Regular Contributor

Which HD channels are NOT in 5.1 surround sound

I noticed that quite a few HD channels weren't tripping the 5.1 surround sound on my receiver and I'm wondering if there is something going on with my cable company or if in 2018, there are still a lot of channels running 2.0 on their HD feed.

A google search didn't lead me to any answers/lists.

anyone?

Expert

Re: Which HD channels are NOT in 5.1 surround sound

@billmich88888 wrote:

I noticed that quite a few HD channels weren't tripping the 5.1 surround sound on my receiver and I'm wondering if there is something going on with my cable company or if in 2018, there are still a lot of channels running 2.0 on their HD feed.

anyone?

On linear cable, channels transmitting 5.1 surround sound will show the (DOD) Dolby Digital symbol. That includes also a number of SD channels. If you are not getting 5.1 SS for the main program audio then your HDMI cable may have failed, or your optical cable if you are using one.

I would make sure your Surround System is connected directly to your television, not the cable-box.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Regular Contributor

@MNtundraRET wrote:

@billmich88888 wrote:

anyone?

On linear cable, channels transmitting 5.1 surround sound will show the (DOD) Dolby Digital symbol. That includes also a number of SD channels. If you are not getting 5.1 SS for the main program audio then your HDMI cable may have failed, or your optical cable if you are using one.

I would make sure your Surround System is connected directly to your television, not the cable-box.

Everything is perfectly set up. All I am asking for is seeing a list of what channels are still in 2.0 on the HD feed.

I do not believe ANY SD channels transmit 5.1 audio.

Expert

"I do not believe ANY SD channels transmit 5.1 audio."

----------------------

A SD channel can carry 5.1. surround sound if the particular show was produced with it. That is why the channel lists "DOD" symbol. Most surround sound systems have many ways to carry different signals to the 6 speakers, including my Sony system. I have testing these SD stations and can get 5.1 S.S. through my speakers. I don't think you will ever find a list. Just go through all the channels you can get from Comcast. That means selecting the station (channel) to see what audio is provided for that particular show. If there is a "DOD" symbol I get surround sound through my Sony system.

I went to one of these SD channels to make sure I could get the surround sound through my speakers, when you posted your problem. It works fine for me. Have you used the microphone that came with speakers to test and balance the system from where you like to sit, recently?

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Highlighted
Regular Contributor

If you could be so kind, please list off a SD channel and show and I will see if I can duplicate it

Of course I could go through channel by channel of my HD stations, but I'd rather see a list .

I have a 7.2.4 dolby atmos system and set up - I know EXACTLY how these work

Expert

Since you have Dolby Atmos, you already know you need to go to You Tube using your television's app. I spend more time there watching 4K / HDR than the regular cable or OTA.

You Tube now has a new revision that includes: "Stats for Nerds". The app shows real time information for Video and Audio signals along with buffer health, signal drop-outs, etc.

The only time I spend down in the lower channels is when RF interference causes loss of signal in the HD frequencies (800 series in my area). I lost MSNBC, Fox, and a few others, a few years ago when moisture got into the Comcast transmission line two years ago about two blocks from home. There were a few feet of ice and snow blocking line repair. I got by watching the SD channels on a different frequency where the signal was not affected. Otherwise I wouldn't be caught dead watching those lower channels.  Channel locations very by service areas so you are on your own.

Regular Contributor

While I appreciate the effort,

you are not providing helpful information at all. Nowhere in any of my posts have I mentioned anything about youtube. I would like someone else to chime in and get their opinion

New Poster

I strongly disagree with not holding up the cable box to the receiver. TV is 2 channel, receiver is surround. If you use HDMI cable either it works or it doesn't . It isn't something that fades in and out, it is a digital connection. You can't switch channels and have one work and another not and blame that on the HDMI. The expert here is not an expert in surround sound, trust me.
Expert

@Blrac wrote:
I strongly disagree with not holding up the cable box to the receiver. TV is 2 channel, receiver is surround. If you use HDMI cable either it works or it doesn't . It isn't something that fades in and out, it is a digital connection. You can't switch channels and have one work and another not and blame that on the HDMI. The expert here is not an expert in surround sound, trust me.

All televisions are only stereo (2 channel). Additional speaker systems are meant to be connected to the television mainly by HDMI cable, or optical cable for 5.1 Systems. There are many S.S. systems that came out over the last 5 years that were designed to have all devices (including TV) go through them.

However: newer "smart" televisions contain different operating systems (CPU's). The directions that come with the televisions suggest having cable-box connected to the television with high-speed HDMI cable. All other devices connected to the television with HDMI cables, or the optical cable for audio if not enough HDMI ports.

New Poster

I, also, am not receiving surround sound when viewing any program through the Xfinity box.  When I review movies available through the Xfinity On Demand service I have noted note, in the associated notes, indicate the broadcast will include any of the surround sound technologies and when I watch any of those movies my A/V receiver does not receive a surround sound signal.

With respect to a previous reply -- it is not my HDMI or optical connections.  When I watch movies provided by either Amazon Prime or Netflix my home theater system does receive and deliver surround sound. The difference is I watch Amazon Prime and Netflix through my smart TV with none of the Xfinity TV equipment being used.

Regular Contributor

make sure your sound settings in the gear icon are set properly

@TVViewer431 wrote:

I, also, am not receiving surround sound when viewing any program through the Xfinity box.  When I review movies available through the Xfinity On Demand service I have noted note, in the associated notes, indicate the broadcast will include any of the surround sound technologies and when I watch any of those movies my A/V receiver does not receive a surround sound signal.

With respect to a previous reply -- it is not my HDMI or optical connections.  When I watch movies provided by either Amazon Prime or Netflix my home theater system does receive and deliver surround sound. The difference is I watch Amazon Prime and Netflix through my smart TV with none of the Xfinity TV equipment being used.