Community Forum

Where is WHA Wisconsin PBS channel?

New Poster

Where is WHA Wisconsin PBS channel?

Where is the Wisconsin PBS channel(s)?

Regular Contributor

Re: Where is WHA Wisconsin PBS channel?

What's your ZIP Code?  There are online ways of seeing whether or not a cable service carries a particular channel in a particular area.

New Poster

Not happy about losing Channel 21. Is it still on the other television viewing options (i.e., Dish, etc.)?
Regular Contributor

If you told us what your ZIP Code is, I might be able to answer that.

For that matter, you should be able to answer it yourself.  Go to TitanTV, then click on the "+" next to the "default" cable system that shows up, click on one of the options (for example, Digital Cable, or Satellite), then enter your ZIP Code when asked, choose a service, and see if you can find the channel on the program grid that shows up.

Regular Visitor

Not helpful.  WHA 21 has been on Comcast in 61107 for years. Why has it been removed?  Violation of my contract. How do I terminate?

New Poster

Agree.  It disappeared this evening.  We are in 61114.  Our billing is electronic, and there was no prior notice to this change.  Typical Comcast/Xfinity.  Likely we have no recourse.  I only have the cable to get the Cubs, Blackhawks, IceHogs and foer my wife to watch her BBC programs on WHA. 

New Poster

Probably half of my television time was spent watching Wisconsin PBS. without that station I may as well get rid of cable and just gobto an antenna and smart tv with apps.

Regular Contributor

Strange - TitanTV claims that WHA is still on channel 22 in Rockford.

I can only think of one reason off the top of my head why a PBS station would be dropped like this; somebody at WTTW complained.  Even this doesn't make sense; I can get four different PBS channels (well, five, but two are owned by the same organization).

Might I suggest that you E-mail WHA and see if they know why?
Also try calling WPT Audience Services at 800-422-9707, although I have a feeling the response, if any, will be, "Ask Comcast."

Also see if both the SD and HD channels are gone (21 and 916, it appears).

New Poster

WHA is completely gone, from channel 21, to 220 (the Wisconsin Channel) and the HD channel as well.  Likely Xfinity is sutting costs, but not reducing our bill.  Like I said before, I do not watch regular TV, just specific sports, and my wife watches a few programs and her favorite BBC shows on WHA. I have no choice but to keep Comcast, as we have to have high speed broadband for business.  DSL is not available to us.  Broadband would be substantailly more $$ without basic digital cable, and the MLB and NHL packages blackout all home games for Chicago teams if you live in Rockford.  So, we have no recourse.  We pay high cable bills for poor reception (Comcast has tried numerous times in the last 8 years to make it better, but are unsuccessful. It is bad) and high rates for business internet that is NOT fast and randomly goes out every few days.  Again, new wires, cables and such from the post way out back, and the problem is neither our high end modem or router (Comcast's modem/router combo is junk).  The bottom line is that it is Comcast's infrastructure that is to blame.  We soldier on inspite of that.  Wish there were another choice, but there is no competition in Rockford.

Regular Visitor

I received this from WHA.  Being taken off of Comcast Rockford lineup is NOT because of the station.  

We remain committed to providing our content to your community via Comcast and all other platforms as part of our mission to serve free of charge. We would love it if Comcast would return us to your local line-up, cost-free, though that isn’t a decision we can make on their behalf. While we hope to resolve this, you can also enjoy our content via wpt.org/watch, with an over-the-air antenna, or video streaming services."

Regular Visitor

Removing WHA is a Comcast decision.  I'm very disappointed in Comcast.

WHA provided this answer:

"We remain committed to providing our content to your community via Comcast and all other platforms as part of our mission to serve free of charge. We would love it if Comcast would return us to your local line-up, cost-free, though that isn’t a decision we can make on their behalf. While we hope to resolve this, you can also enjoy our content via wpt.org/watch, with an over-the-air antenna, or video streaming services.'

Official Employee

@DrLes wrote:

Where is the Wisconsin PBS channel(s)?

Apologies.

PBS station WHA-TV from Madison, WI was recently removed from the channel lineup in Rockford, IL.  The PBS station WTTW-TV from Chicago, IL is the PBS station designated for your area.   

In your area, WTTW is available on channel 2 and in HD on channel 1181. There are additional channels of WTTW (PBS) also available:

WTTW Prime available on channel 243  

WTTW Create/World available on channel 213 

WTTW PBS Kids available on channel 355 

BBC America is available full time on channel 173 and in HD on channel 1418. 
BBC World News America is available full time on channel 154. 

Comcast is in complete compliance with all of the current FCC regulations and our own policies regarding the cable carriage of the broadcast TV stations in your area of Winnebago County, IL. 

All of Winnebago County is assigned to the Rockford, IL TV market (DMA). WTTW is the designated PBS station for your area.

WHA is considered "out-of- market" in your area by the FCC and Nielsen Media Research who determine the in-market and out-of-market TV stations for the United States.  WHA-TV is assigned to the Madison, WI TV market 

The links I provided below should provide some additional detailed information. Thanks for your interest. 

Broadcast Over-The-Air coverage for TV Stations in the Madison, WI TV market

http://transition.fcc.gov/dtv/markets/maps_current/Madison_WI.pdf

Broadcast Over-The-Air coverage for TV Stations in the Rockford, IL TV market

http://transition.fcc.gov/dtv/markets/maps_current/Rockford_IL.pdf

The areas shaded in green at the links above show the counties assigned to that specific TV market.  Other multi-channel video providers must adhere to the same requirements outlined above.

The terms "DMA", "out of market" and "significantly viewed" have extensive definitions and examples, some links below that will make for some good reading:

DMA: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Designated_market_area

Out of market and Significantly Viewed: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Significantly_viewed_out_of_market_TV_stations_in_the_United_States

Below was included on recent bill statements 

WHA (PBS), WHA Create and WHA Wisconsin will no longer be available on Xfinity TV. WTTW (PBS) and its multicasts channel will continue to be the PBS provider.

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Problem Solver

Ted,

I don't mean to make your life difficult, but this is incorrect.

Public broadcasting stations are not subject to the same designated market area (DMA) rules that you mentioned. PBS stations are based on their geographic proximity within 50 miles of the transmitter, regardless of DMA. While satellite has tried to make public broadcasting stations subject to similar rules for their own simplicity, they are not.

That is why a station like WHA was previously carried in a market like Rockford, a market that does not have a PBS affiliate of its own. Other PBS affiliates are pumped in to fill the need on cable. Satellite offers a national feed only in SD in markets like Rockford. This is a compelling reason why people in those markets often choose cable for access to more localized and quality public access programming.

Just as an example, the Comcast system where I reside has WPSU, the affiliate out of State College, PA instead of Harrisburg's WITF. WITF is not carried in any form. This system is in the Harrisburg/York/Lancaster DMA, not the Altoona/Johnstown/State College DMA. This is exactly case in point that the rules are not nearly the same for privately owned stations as they are public stations. Because of the proximity of Lewistown to State College, WPSU is prioritized because it is within 50 miles of the network signal. In terms of geography, WHA is closer to Rockford than WTTW. Even among PBS affiliates, unless they make arrangements with each other, there is no ability to claim market exclusivity. Unless there is some sort of  agreement between WTTW and WHA (which is part of the Wisconsin Public Television system), then there is no reason that WTTW and WHA cannot both be carried. A similar phenomenon has happened with WEIU in Central Illinois being removed.

WHA can and does continue to offer its signal to other providers in that area (via Spectrum and Mediacom). But there is no market protection in place that forced Comcast to remove WHA from this system.  Comcast's hand can absolutely be forced if a duplicative for-profit network decides to file exclusivity against a competing affiliate from the same network. The only plausible justifications for this removal are that of the aforementioned agreement between the public broadcasting systems (which we would see among those other mentioned systems) or a decision made by Comcast itself to remove the signal. And the evidence seems to suggest the latter.

Official Employee

@drhull wrote:

Ted,

I don't mean to make your life difficult, but this is incorrect.

Public broadcasting stations are not subject to the same designated market area (DMA) rules that you mentioned. PBS stations are based on their geographic proximity within 50 miles of the transmitter, regardless of DMA. While satellite has tried to make public broadcasting stations subject to similar rules for their own simplicity, they are not.

That is why a station like WHA was previously carried in a market like Rockford, a market that does not have a PBS affiliate of its own. Other PBS affiliates are pumped in to fill the need on cable. Satellite offers a national feed only in SD in markets like Rockford. This is a compelling reason why people in those markets often choose cable for access to more localized and quality public access programming.

Just as an example, the Comcast system where I reside has WPSU, the affiliate out of State College, PA instead of Harrisburg's WITF. WITF is not carried in any form. This system is in the Harrisburg/York/Lancaster DMA, not the Altoona/Johnstown/State College DMA. This is exactly case in point that the rules are not nearly the same for privately owned stations as they are public stations. Because of the proximity of Lewistown to State College, WPSU is prioritized because it is within 50 miles of the network signal. In terms of geography, WHA is closer to Rockford than WTTW. Even among PBS affiliates, unless they make arrangements with each other, there is no ability to claim market exclusivity. Unless there is some sort of  agreement between WTTW and WHA (which is part of the Wisconsin Public Television system), then there is no reason that WTTW and WHA cannot both be carried. A similar phenomenon has happened with WEIU in Central Illinois being removed.

WHA can and does continue to offer its signal to other providers in that area (via Spectrum and Mediacom). But there is no market protection in place that forced Comcast to remove WHA from this system.  Comcast's hand can absolutely be forced if a duplicative for-profit network decides to file exclusivity against a competing affiliate from the same network. The only plausible justifications for this removal are that of the aforementioned agreement between the public broadcasting systems (which we would see among those other mentioned systems) or a decision made by Comcast itself to remove the signal. And the evidence seems to suggest the latter.

Understood and agreed. Revised, shortened response below.  

PBS station WHA-TV from Madison, WI was recently removed from the channel lineup in Rockford, IL. This was annnounced on recent bill statements.  

WHA (PBS), WHA Create and WHA Wisconsin will no longer be available on Xfinity TV. WTTW (PBS) and its multicasts channel will continue to be the PBS provider.

The PBS station WTTW-TV from Chicago, IL is the PBS station that Comcast offers in this market. Much of the programming from WHA is available on WTTW and their multicast channels.  

In your area, WTTW is available on channel 2 and in HD on channel 1181. There are additional channels of WTTW (PBS) also available:

WTTW Prime available on channel 243

WTTW Create/World available on channel 213

WTTW PBS Kids available on channel 355

BBC America is available full time on channel 173 and in HD on channel 1418.
BBC World News America is available full time on channel 154.

Comcast is in complete compliance with all of the current FCC regulations and our own policies regarding the cable carriage of the broadcast TV stations in your area of Winnebago County, IL.

Comcast is not obligated to carry WHA-TV from Madison, WI in Rockford, IL.   

If it is important for you to view WHA-TV, you may be able to receive this station over the air with an antenna depending on your location and surrounding terrain.  You can also stream Wisconsin Public Television programs here at no additional charge: https://wpt4.org/watch-page/

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Regular Visitor

We now know the truth of Comcast customer service.  Considering all the poor programming Comcast provides, it is disappointing they remove one of the decade long quality channels they offered.

BTW  WHA is closer to Rockford, than the arbitrary choice of the more distant WTTW.

Official Employee

@PeterT wrote:

We now know the truth of Comcast customer service.  Considering all the poor programming Comcast provides, it is disappointing they remove one of the decade long quality channels they offered.

BTW  WHA is closer to Rockford, than the arbitrary choice of the more distant WTTW.

Apologies. In transparency I left up both the original and the updated responses above in this thread. 

I have shared your feedback (and all of the feedback here) around WHA directly with our programming and content teams where this decision was made in combination with our local leadership teams in Illinois.  

One of the considerations may have been in-state PBS station vs. out-of-state PBS station. 

Regular Visitor

You may be finally getting the point about WH A and Rockford. I simply do not understand removing WHA with the excuse that only one PBS station needs to be offered. We have enjoyed programming in BOTH WTTW and WHA for decades, the change to a blank channel makes no sense. Return WHA and all will be well.

if I have to install an antenna, I may as well quit Comcast TV because all other channels we watch are over the air here and everything else is on the internet.

Highlighted
Problem Solver

Ted, I appreciate the clarification of your response, and the correct understanding of how public broadcasting is handled.

For the sake of the customers of Northern and Central Illinois that have recently lost their additional PBS stations, I hope they'll be returned. In Illinois, unlike many states, the PBS stations are regionalized, and can offer very different programming. For a statewide network, the content is entirely the same, regardless of DMA or local transponder. That is not the case in Illinois. Considering all markets are now digital and that PBS does not charge retransmission fees, there are minimal delivery costs to be able to provide this programming to your customers as opposed to other broadcast networks.

Regular Visitor

to drhull, 

You have hit the real issue. It costs nothing for Comcast to carry WHA, so why have they removed it after decades of making WHA available?

Seeing a blank channel where WHA should be makes no sense.  It might make sense if something better were offered there, but a screen saying to watch WTTW is useless.

Official Employee

@PeterT wrote:

to drhull, 

You have hit the real issue. It costs nothing for Comcast to carry WHA, so why have they removed it after decades of making WHA available?

Seeing a blank channel where WHA should be makes no sense.  It might make sense if something better were offered there, but a screen saying to watch WTTW is useless.

I don't believe that it will be a blank channel for very long. The redirect message to WTTW programming is designed to be short term and actually helps many customers find PBS programs. 

New Poster

The programming for WHA and WTTW were different.  I enjoyed watching many of the programs on WHA including the various cooking shows, Nova, and the various woodworking shows on WHA.

Apparently COMCAST has removed these shows and replaced then with SLATE TV, the problem here is there is nothing on SLATE TV available to watch.  If the programming is not restored they I too will be looking at the varios streaming offers to be able to watch what I want to watch and not what COMCAST tells me to watch.

Official Employee

We appreciate everyone's feedback and have provided information on these changes, as we can understand your perspective. We want to set a proper expectation while being as informative and transparent as possible. Thank you everyone for the comments and feedback provided here.