Community Forum

What's holding back comcast from broadcasting in 4k?

Regular Contributor

What's holding back comcast from broadcasting in 4k?

Some channels already broadcast in 4k so what's the deal? why is comcast not providind the 4k feed?

4k is here so why are you so behind the times?

What's the hold up? i want an honest answer to a paying customer? I'll understand if you don't have the bandwidth just be honest.

You say because the tv channels aren't broadcasting in 4k but some events and channels are being broadcast in 4k and you're not providing that feed for us.

Why?

We pay just like direct tv customers?

Is it bandwidth?

Expert

Re: What's holding back comcast from broadcasting in 4k?

@Pharrell2 wrote:

Some channels already broadcast in 4k so what's the deal? why is comcast not providind the 4k feed?

What's the hold up? i want an honest answer to a paying customer? I'll understand if you don't have the bandwidth just be honest.

You say because the tv channels aren't broadcasting in 4k but some events and channels are being broadcast in 4k and you're not providing that feed for us.

Why?

Is it bandwidth?

other than a few test very low power stations no one is broadcasting (over the air) 4k. There are many reasons for this (TV tuners are not required to handle streams of mpeg4/HEVC). Comcast provided delayed on-demand Olympic coverage. Netflix using the X1 app can deliver 4K/UHD service. There are many articles available online basically stating that US transmissions may well skip 4K and implement 8k-16k with full ATSC 3.0 or better. to convert will require users using off the air broadcasts to have an adapter box similar to the conversion in US of transmitting analog to digital TV.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Regular Contributor

Probably in 2024 there's no way 8k is affordable right now.

Why were retaliers selling 4k tvs then?

Expert

@Pharrell2 wrote:

Probably in 2024 there's no way 8k is affordable right now.

Why were retaliers selling 4k tvs then?

many entertainment devices play 4k as well as Netfilx streaming.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Contributor

@Rustyben wrote:

@Pharrell2 wrote:

Why?

Is it bandwidth?

other than a few test very low power stations no one is broadcasting (over the air) 4k. There are many reasons for this (TV tuners are not required to handle streams of mpeg4/HEVC). Comcast provided delayed on-demand Olympic coverage. Netflix using the X1 app can deliver 4K/UHD service. There are many articles available online basically stating that US transmissions may well skip 4K and implement 8k-16k with full ATSC 3.0 or better. to convert will require users using off the air broadcasts to have an adapter box similar to the conversion in US of transmitting analog to digital TV.

Not sure why you're restricting your answer to "over the air", but if you've been following at all what DirecTV has been offering their customers for years, it's been one sporting event after another LIVE in 4K.  Perhaps a single game, but sometimes an entire event like The Masters, or the US Open, or The World Cup.  It can be done and in fact is happening often.  Just not on Xfinity.  There must be a reason.  If they choose not to, OK, but be up front about it and let us know to move on.  Don't distribute glorified 4K streaming boxes as if you're going to do something that you're not just to keep customers hanging on.

Edit:  I'd like to hear from someone at Comcast who may actually know the answer.  At first we thought it may be because Hisense had the exclusive rights to the 4K live broadcast through their TV streaming app.  But then DirecTV picked it up.  Then Level 3.  So it's not that.  I can think of two reasons:  Not wanting to spend the money, or not having the technical ability (bandwidth) to provide it live.