Community Forum

Weird issues with WLS in Chicago

Silver Problem Solver

Weird issues with WLS in Chicago

On Tuesday (May 1, 2018), I noticed some issues with recordings made from WLS (ABC) in Chicago.

On "The Middle" and "blackish", I could only play the recordings. I could not FF, REW, skip, review, or pause! I just got the 'no' symbol. The timebar said 30 minutes, but never went beyond 0. Closed Captioning did not work. Other recordings made at the same time are fine.

This is probably not a Comcast issue, but again, there are street noises leaking into the audio. During quiet scenes, I could hear truck and car traffic. I think this was an issue a year or so ago, and now it seems to be back.

Highlighted
Contributor

Re: Weird issues with WLS in Chicago

I have been getting a static like sound on WLS (ABC) since 1/1/19. It is only on the HD feed and not on the normal or non HD feed. It is on both of my TVs which are connected to different brands of cable boxes. Regular channel 7, no noise, HD (channel 187) a steady low static sound. There is no static on any other channel. I called Comcast and got some outsourced person who could care but there are things on WLS that I do like to watch. The neighbor on one side of me has a dish and the other is in the middle of a major home renovation so no just walking next door to see if they have the same problem. I don't know if it's a Comcast issue or the WLS feed. My whole Xfinity experience has been pretty goofy since they re-flashed the firmware on the main X1 box on 12/12/2018. Two years with the same package I had no problems, now I get letterboxing On Demand on a 60" 1080P which I never had until I renewed my contract. The last month has been a hoot and I even exchanged my X1 box for a brand new one. I have been a customer for 24 years at my address and after seeing the new prices for 2019 this is pretty unacceptable. $10 for Broadcast TV fee and $8.25 Regional Sports Fee? That's $18.25 so my service should be better then ever. The problem is it's not, it's gone from good to unacceptable.
Contributor

Re: Weird issues with WLS in Chicago

The moral of the story is that after putting up with this noise since 1/1, it's magically gone. It was still doing it at 6AM but at 3:30PM it was gone. The letterboxing is still unacceptable but I can live with it because I think that is going to be the future of Chicagoland Comcast. Two things are for sure: I complained on the forum and my noise problem went away and I'm glad that I didn't spend almost a grand on a 70" 4K 2160P Sony before Christmas. I think it's going to be a while before Comcast masters 4K UHD, they pretty much ruined my regular HD experience. When is 1080P HD not really HD? When you have letterboxing when watching a On Demand movie on Comcast. I know I will never rent or buy a movie from Comcast, I have a 2 year old 1080P TV that worked great until the re-flash of the X1 box on 12/12. Nothing in HD ever letterboxed and it isn't some setting on my TV. Thanks for fixing the sound though, it was driving me nuts. I can always go to a Redbox to rent a Blu-ray movie, it's only $2.