Community Forum

Weather Scan Channel

Regular Visitor

Re: Weather Scan Channel

Do you notice that all of the so-called Comcast employees are giving totally non-answers.   They are all great dancers.....I have a very simple question that has yet to be answered by any of the Comcast people...here it is..WHY? BE SPECIFIC

Official Employee

@pete15 wrote:

Do you notice that all of the so-called Comcast employees are giving totally non-answers.   They are all great dancers.....I have a very simple question that has yet to be answered by any of the Comcast people...here it is..WHY? BE SPECIFIC

At the risk of repeating... below:

We apologize for all the inconvenience.  Comcast continuously evaluates the content that we deliver to our customers. As part of this ongoing evaluation, we decided to discontinue offering the Weatherscan channel for all our customers this year.  

FAQ's

I can't find the Weatherscan Channel. Where is it?
I apologize for any inconvenience. Weatherscan is (or soon will be) no longer available.

Will you bring Weatherscan back again?
Comcast has no current plans to offer this channel again in the near future.

Is Comcast offering anything in place of Weatherscan?

Please check your channel lineup for local weather channel options via your local broadcast stations.

Thanks for your continued and valuable feedback. It has been noted and shared directly with our local and national programming teams that were involved with this decision.

The removal of the Weatherscan Channel in your area was a decision made by Comcast.

We regularly examine our programs and channels in an effort to bring our customers the best overall entertainment choices and the content they want the most. As a result, Comcast must sometimes remove channels that have lower viewership to make space for higher valued, more popular channels and to keep our channel line-ups consistent across markets.

Local weather can also be found online at https://weather.com/  (and other sites like http://www.weather.gov/  and http://www.noaa.gov/weather-forecast-tools-and-resources ) including live radar and satellite maps, pollen count, air quality, forecast by zip code, wind conditions, humidity, dew point, barometric pressure and more.  

The Weather Channel is still available and provides localized weather every ten minutes on Local on the 8's.

As a reminder, there is a localized and regularly updated weather app available to customers with the X1 platform. Select the XFINITY button on the remote control, select Apps, then Daily Life, then Weather. Or just hold down the blue microphone button and say "Weather" on the X1 Voice Remote.    

Customers with our traditional on-screen program guide also have access to local updated weather forecasts via the guide's Main Menu, then select Local Weather.

We have also found that most of our customers access this information through their mobile devices and the Internet. Your local broadcast TV stations will continue to keep you updated as to ongoing and breaking weather coverage. 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

Reverse the bad decision to drop weatherscan channel.

Admin1

Re: Weather channel 116

Hi jvitalo -- WeatherScan has been discontinued in your area as of October 10th. 

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
New Poster

Re: Weatherscan Channel 101

We want the weatherscan channel 101 back!

It was user friendly and to the point. The weather channel on 42 shows stories and other things that we don’t need to know. We just want the weatherscan channel because it only shows weather!

Please bring it back. I don’t want to drop Comcast because I have been a valuable customer for over 30 years.

BRING THE WEATHERSCAN BACK. We miss the information that was clear and consistent.

Thank You

Diamond Problem Solver
Moved:

11/6/17 The weatherscan is gone! Why?Bring it back! Weather channel poor for temp & radar.

Frequent Visitor

What happened to weatherscan local

Why is this no longer available on channel 101

Diamond Problem Solver
Frequent Visitor

Re: What happened to weatherscan local

I was wondering that too. Looks like yet another channel that I watched regularly has been removed from the lineup.

Not applicable

Agreed.  BRING BACK 101.  The Weather Channel has too much other programming - takes too long to get the basic weather.  Really upset over this!

Regular Visitor

what does one have to do to get channel 101 weatherscan local

what can a customer do to get weatherscan local, the constant streaming of local weather which was a very valuable tool?

Regular Visitor

weatherscan no longer availaible?

What happened to weatherscan channel 101?

New Poster

I was wondering the same thing!  I rely on that channel and watch it every day.  During storms, the constantly present radar is invaluable. It is much better than the weather channel for viewing what the weather is like at a given moment.  Having to wait for "the 8's" is a pain and sometimes you just don't have that much time.  And if you happen to miss something?  Well, you have to wait another 10 minutes to see what you missed.  Many times during bad storms, the Weather Channel's radar is "conveniently"  unavailable which is of no help.   The Weather Channel has way too many "shows" that are uninteresting and they are constantly repeating the same shows!  Frequently during these shows, they don't even play the weather on the 8's. 

We are extremely disappointed in this channel being unavailable and hope it is a malfunction and not removed. Unfortunately, Comcast is the only choice here in ourtownship in Warren County, NJ.  I do know surrounding towns in Warren County are checking into other options.

Please Comcast, if this channel is broken - please fix it.  If you took it off the air, PLEASE bring it back!  Thank you.

New Poster

PLEASE tell me that Weatherscan has NOT been dropped!! Noticed at 4:00 a.m. a black screen with "Tune to The Weather Channel or your local broadcaster..." Really?! Between all the commercials and all the fillers trying to "entertain us", we just want the facts and current local radar. Please bring it back!!
New Poster

As a loyal Comcast customer since 1984, I was shocked — and extremely disappointed to see that the Weatherscan Channel that I rely on for current weather reporting 24/7 was not available when I turned on my TV this morning. I leave my TV set on channel 101 when I turn off the TV for the evening, so when I turn the TV on first thing in the morning I get an instant view of weather conditions and impending weather changes. The radar helped me many times to 'batten down the hatches' before torrents of rain. Weatherscan provides information not available on other channels. I rely on it for weather reports any minute of the day without having to wait 8 minutes from the other channel.  I work from home — and my TV is on about 16 hours a day, and I tune to channel 101 for about 4 hours of those 16 hours. Of the over 1,000 channels Comcast provides I only watch about 20 of those channels — and Weatherscan is one of those 20 that I watch — that's 5% of my total viewing. Weatherscan is a valuable source of information to Comcast customers 24/7. I want Comcast to put Weatherscan back in their program choices. ***** If Comcast truly wants to provide Customer Service, put that 'Service' back!

New Poster

We are lost without the weatherscan channel 101, it gives up to the minute radar that we depend on!!! Please bring it back!!

New Poster

I also watched this channel every day and consider it a valuable part of my Comcast package. I hope xfinity realizes there are many who feel this way about Weatherscan and bring it back.

New Poster

Weatherscan Channel 101

I am writing to petition the return of Channel 101 - Weatherscan Channel....  I cannot believe Comcast would just up and discontinue this channel from the channel lineup...This channel was wonderful in checking local updates, forecasts, etc.  The Weather Channel does not even come close and it's more like watching a TV show about weather...  I hope you will reconsider the dropping of Weatherscan and I ask any other Comcast subscribers to petition this with me as well.  I am very disappointed in Comcast and you've been advertising for a long time now on how to improve your customer service and customer base - well this carries a big vote from my view....Thank you for your consideration in this....

New Poster

Weather channel

What's up with the Weather channel??

New Poster

Most of the weather apps frankly are garbage. I've found only 1 with good radar but it cost me $$ and eats up my battery. I've depended on Weatherscan for YEARS because 24/7 radar which is extremely important. 3 hours of animation is much much better than the few minutes tops you get from apps. Longer anims help you determine what the wind direction is doing to convection as it changes from one topographic area in my region to another and helps me predict if storms will actually hit in my specific little spot.

The Weather Channel used to be a good source when it actually covered current weather. Now you turn and find yet another Greatest Weather Events in history type program instead of what's happening now in the real world.

And being on tv is a great convenience because tv is in the kitchen where I spend a lot of time if I'm not on my PC doing work that has nothing to do with being online.

I haven't a clue what would make you change your mind. Just PLEASE do it.

Regular Visitor

Re: Weather channel

Comcast has cancelled this valuable informative site that gives constant radar coverage of local weather. I am Furious..
The alternative channel is less than informative and does not match Weatherscan.
New Poster

I also rely on Weatherscan and use it everyday (or did). Please bring it back.
New Poster

Weatherscan

I check Weatherscan everyday and now it is turned off.  Why?  I want it back, please!

Highlighted
Contributor

Not coming back. 

The internet has made this and many other channels obsolete.  Download the Weather Channel app or go to Weather.com

If you have an X1, just say 'weather'

New Poster

Re: Weatherscan

PLEASE BRING BACK WEATHERSCAN-DISAPPEARED ON 11/06/17

New Poster

Re: 11/6/17 The weatherscan is gone! Why?Bring it back! Weather channel poor for temp & radar.

I want Weathscan back !!!!  Where did it go. I use to get it on channel 101.

New Poster

This was the first thing we looked each morning. I was so upset to see that Comcast made the choice for us! This channel offers up to date info without all the useless chatter like other channels. I agree also the weather channel has become regular tv unless there is a huge storm. It is a waste of time. BRING BACK THIS CHANNEL YOUR CUSTOMERS WANT!
New Poster

Weather channel

What the heck happened to the weather channel? It disappeared overnight.
New Poster

Weather channel 101

What happened to channel 101?  Why did you take it off?  That was the main channel we'd watch several times per day, every day!  Why would you take this channel down?

New Poster

weatherscan

So many people depend on the Weatherscan channel (101) for a quick weather report.  (Is the storm coming?  Where is it? How bad is it? etc.)  This is poor move.  We pay for a service and now this service is being chipped away.  Doesn't seem right.  Very dissappointed.

Robert Sweetman

Forked River, NJ

New Poster

Channel

Why was channel 101 dropped? It was our local weather channel!

New Poster

Weather Channel 101

We are so disappointed that Comcast took off channel 101 the Weather Channel. We look at that channel first thing in the morning. My husband always checked it before he went out and sometimes even before we go to bed to see how cold it's going to get overnight. We miss knowing what the weather was going to be for the week. Please reconsider.

New Poster

weatherscan

Weatherscan is/was the one useful channel in the canle channel lineup.  I was looinjg forward to improvements in the local radar.  Taking this channel away is extremely disappointing.  It's the first channel I watch every morning.  Bring it back!!!!!!

Regular Visitor

Weather Scan Channel

Way to go Comcast, I just changed one of my DTV boxes to one that communicates with DVR because you excluded this channel on DTV boxes along with premimun channels that I pay for.

Comcast the only public utility that increases charges and offers less. I use this channel for instant radar when it works. Your X1 app is horrible and does not offer radar. Now I know why there are no lines in the local comcast store when I go in.

Official Employee

Hello all, the "Weatherscan Channel" has been discontinued as of 10/10/17. 

New Poster

weatherscan channel

Why on earth you would discontinue this channel is beyond me!!!   I use this numerous times daily!  The other options you offer, ie The Weather Channel, local on the 8's, and accessing from the main menu are not sufficient nor quick.  BRING IT BACK!!!!! I am more than upset!!!!!

New Poster

WeatherScan Channel

WIN_20171109_164322.JPGI though it was a 1 time glitchWIN_20171109_164258.JPGAnother reason to search options

Official Employee

Hello all, the "Weather Scan" channel has been discontinued due to contractual agreements ending. This change was made on 10/10/17. 

Official Employee

Re: Channel

Hi Daisywoman62, the "Weather Scan" channel was discontinued on 10/10/17. Please tune to another local news station, for a full channel lineup in your area click on this link

New Poster

WeatherScan - a legacy channel on cable TV

WeatherScan - a legacy channel on cable TV
WeatherScan channel being eliminated from the lineup is unbelievable! Cable TV systems have always had a ‘weather’ channel that broadcast 24-hour local weather. Period. It’s a legacy feature in my opinion. It’s a borderline safety issue because of the instant access to live local weather information, and more importantly, radar and tornado alerts. In lieu of the increasing amount of weather events and the volatility of the climate, it becomes an important safety tool. And we’ve all been paying for it. And we all still are! I do not understand how you can justify eliminating a channel, essentially taking away a feature, and still charging the same amount for the TV package. It’s wrong. If I’m not mistaken, I am carrying a higher tier of the TV service - “Preferred” - mainly because I ‘needed’ to have that tier to still get WeatherScan. I don’t watch a lot of TV channels and losing one that I watched every day, and paid more for, gives me pause. I think of getting rid of the TV service entirely.
Official Employee

Re: weatherscan

Hi ground_control, unfortunately the Weather Scan channel was removed from your lineup on 10/10/17. To request that this channel be added back to your lineup please click on this link

New Poster

local weather, channel 1101

Channel not available, will it return???

New Poster

what happened to the WeatherScan Local Network channel

why is the WeatherScan Local Network channel no longer showing weather - chesterfield va, the only reason I pay extra for digital premium

New Poster

Re: weatherscan

If Comcast truly wants to provide Customer Service, put the Weatherscan 'Service' back!

As a loyal Comcast customer since 1984, I was shocked — and extremely disappointed to see that the Weatherscan Channel that I rely on for current weather reporting 24/7 was not available when I turned on my TV this morning. I leave my TV set on channel 101 when I turn off the TV for the evening, so when I turn the TV on first thing in the morning I get an instant view of weather conditions and impending weather changes. The radar helped me many times to 'batten down the hatches' before torrents of rain. Weatherscan provides information not available on other channels. I rely on it for weather reports any minute of the day without having to wait 8 minutes from the other channel.  I work from home — and my TV is on about 16 hours a day, and I tune to channel 101 for about 4 hours of those 16 hours. Of the over 1,000 channels Comcast provides I only watch about 20 of those channels — and Weatherscan is one of those 20 that I watch — that's 5% of my total viewing. Weatherscan is a valuable source of information to Comcast customers 24/7. I want Comcast to put Weatherscan back in their program choices. ***** If Comcast truly wants to provide Customer Service, put that 'Service' back!

If not...there's always Verizon.

Regular Visitor

Re: why are we no longer receiving channel 101(wthsn)?

The short answer is that Xfinity pulled the plug on or about 11/7/17 after a short blurp on page 3 of their October bill.

I did contact Xfinity Help & Support at first about why the channel was no longer appearing.  Eventually I did ask why they would remove a public service channel providing local weather reports that I found very useful in planning outside activies.  With its instant response, 24-hour availability, up-to-the-minute Doppler Radar Scans, and continuous updating you could make decisions about trying to mow the lawn right now ahead of inclement weather that was going to blow in during the next hour. 

The response from folks on Xfinity indicate the channel was pulled after one of their "content evaluation" surveys.  The reponse to a follow-up email asking for more information on why The WeatherScan channel came up short in the survey was:  "that is proprietary information" 

Tags (1)
New Poster

Missing "weatherscan" channel-where'd it go?

Missing "weatherscan"-seems to have disappeared this week.  Just seeing black screen with "tune to the weather channel or your local bradcaster for local and national weather information".  Why?

Regular Visitor

WeatherScan (CH245 WTHSN) broadcasting dropped

Why has Xfinity arbitrarily dropped broadcasting of the Weather Scan channel in the 02324 zip code while still broadcasting it in other areas?  This is CH245 in the 02324 area code and appears to have been dropped around 11/7/2017.   

This channel is remarkably useful in planning outside activities.  This channel can easily help you make decisions, such as, mowing the lawn immediately to avoid inclement weather that will be in your area within the hour.  This provides a true public service with features that include immediate, up-to-date LOCAL weather in a screen that contains 4 sections showing current Doppler Radar scans, currrent temps etc., along with current and future forecasts. 

Posting questions to Xfinity support regarding the channel being dropped have resulted in either a list of other available weather sources, cryptic reference to the results of a "content evaluation" by Xfinity, or a terse reference to this being "proprietary material."

Regular Visitor

weatherscan local

BRING BACK WEATHERSCAN LOCAL!!!!  This is a Deal Breaker!!! ): ): ): ):

New Poster

weatherscan

Where is channel 101 the local weather for Harrisburg. wiIl we no longer get that channnel?

New Poster

Weather Scan Local Channel 101

What is the reason you are not broadcasting Channel 101 Weather Scan?  We always watch this station & now note it is not on the air.