Community Forum

Ways to Watch the Winter Olympics 4K

Expert

Ways to Watch the Winter Olympics 4K

Experience 4K UHD (Ultra High Definition) HDR (High Dynamic Range) with Dolby ATMOS PyeongChang 2018 Olympic Winter Games On Demand content with Xfinity X1.

Olympic Winter Games in 4K UHD HDR with Dolby ATMOS

If you are an Xfinity TV customer with an eligible 4K TV Box, you can enjoy On Demand access to NBC programming in 4K UHD HDR with Dolby ATMOS three-dimensional sound presented by Xfinity. Watch programming in 4K UHD HDR including the Opening Ceremony, ski jumping, figure skating, snowboard /Big Air and the Closing Ceremony from the Winter Olympics.

How to Get 4K UHD HDR Content on X1

In order to view 4K UHD HDR content on X1, you must have the following equipment: Xfinity X1 XG1v4 DVR TV Box Video resolution should be set to 2160p60 or 2160p30 Compatible 4K UHD HDR TV

• The HDMI port on your TV / AV Receiver / Soundbar must be HDCP 2.2 compliant
  • The output device should be 4K UHD, HDR and Dolby ATMOS compliant

For more information on 4K UHD on Xfinity TV, see our frequently asked questions.

How to Watch 4K UHD HDR Olympic Winter Games On Demand Content on X1

• See the Best in 4K UHD within the Olympics Home will display to XG1V4 X1 TV Boxes.
  • You can also search for programming, and Episodes will display.
    Olympic Life Programming with Episodes selected

• Selecting Ways to Watch will default to the best watch option resolution, based on your TV Box capabilites.
    Episode of Olympic Life dispalying with Ways to Watch selected

If your devices (TV Box and TV) are capable of playing 4K UHD HDR content, free 4K UHD will appear as the default Ways to Watch option.
    Olympic Life episode with Free 4K UHD viewing option selected

Note: 4K UHD HDR On Demand programming may also have an HD/SD equivalent version. (The content will not be the exact, such as different announcers and cameras.) You can select 4K UHD, HD or SD in Ways to Watch.
Olympic Life On Demand programming episode available in 4K UHD

Olympic Life On Demand programming episode available in HD

Accessing the Olympics Home on X1

The Olympics Home is located on the Sports Guide.
  • Simply say "Sports" into your X1 Voice Remote to get to the Sports Guide.
  • Push the xfinity button on your X1 remote, then select On Demand and one of the following:
    • Select the Sports tab at the top, then the Olympics tile
    • Select the TV tab and under the Featured row, select the Sports Guide tile then Olympics
  • Navigate to the X1 Sports Guide by pressing the Guide button twice.
    • Note: Choosing a different Guide view will keep that Guide view for the remainder of the session or until you choose another Guide view. Learn more about changing your default Guide view for X1.
  • Navigate to the Winter Olympics tab in the Sports App.
  • Search for "4K" or say "Show me 4K" into your X1 Voice Remote.
Learn more about the Sports Guide on X1 and how to access it.

How can I receive an Xfinity XG1v4 X1 TV Box?

Go here http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Customer-Service/Xfinity-4k-XG1v4-Cable-Box-Availability/td-p/2987898/

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Expert

4k DVR only Winter Olympics option

I am posting here since other posts were locked for further replies.

I am not going to pay another estimated $250. / year just to watch some of the Winter Olympics in 4K. The 4K could have been added to the "Ultra HD Sampler" as another option. It was used for the Summer Olympics. Since we travel about 3 months each year, we already pay for service we cannot use during those periods. I do not need, or want,  the X1 box + 4K DVR until 4K programing becomes more main-stream.

We will be watching 4K programing directly over the Internet (same as last 2 years) instead of the Winter Olympics this time around. This is just one more offer a regular cable customer since 1973 will not be biting on. Thank you.

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Problem Solver

Re: 4k DVR only Winter Olympics option

Nice information Man a day before the olympics start.

I have no way to get an 4k box til the weekend GOOD JOB>

comcastic.

Problem Solver

the internet streams from the X1 box are ad infested.

I know it's from the NBC app but the commercials come at weird times and sometimes we miss action.

why are they ads On events like this? we already pay enough as it is for our content and get ads on live shows.

no need for ads for this type of event.

Silver Problem Solver

Re: Ways to Watch the Winter Olympics 4K

@Can you watch the Winter Olympics in 4K and HDR? Comcast tells Ars “no”

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2018/02/delays-hardware-issues-regional-blocks-can-you-watch-the-olympics-in-4k/

Expert

@ wrote:

Can you watch the Winter Olympics in 4K and HDR? Comcast tells Ars “no”

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2018/02/delays-hardware-issues-regional-blocks-can-you-watch-the-olympics-in-4k/

He is pointing out basically what I have been posting on this subject.

It will be interesting to see how this pans out. To me it would have made sense to also use the "Ultra HD Sampler" 4K app that worked for Rio Olympics on Samsung UHD tv's. They later worked on the 4K app to include more brands ot tv's.

All of this for naught. They quit using the apps yesterday, go for "More money!".

New Poster

I swapped my X1 box for a 4k box for free yesterday. No additional charged for 4k.
I don't think NBC will post any free 4k sources on the internet for free.
Expert

@ wrote:
I swapped my X1 box for a 4k box for free yesterday. No additional charged for 4k.
I don't think NBC will post any free 4k sources on the internet for free.

No one said they would. The NBC app is only good for 1080p (Blu-ray quality)., and the "Ultra HD Sampler" was removed before start of Olympics.

New Poster

I have not had luck using these directions, which are direct from Comcast, to find the 4K content. I find the Olmypic section on the Xfinity box to be very difficult to navigate especially when looking for the 4K options. First off when I realized a new box,  the XG1V4, was needed to unlock the 4K material, a simple request via Comcast support chat had a new box at my door within 2 days. There is no cost to upgrade just a $15 shipping charge which they did credit back to my account. The only way I was able to find the 4K content was by clicking the Xfinity button on the remote and searching 4K. Last night there were about 10 - 15 options, all 2018 Olympic related, that were available in 4K. Mostly highlights from ice skating, skiing and the full opening ceremony, but wow the picture was amazing. Im use to seeing 4k through Netflix but watching sports is a whole different ball game. Im really hoping they have offer some Hockey and Snowboarding highlights before the games end. The future is here.