Community Forum

WHY IS COMCAST CHANGING TURNER CLASSIC MOVIES TO SPORTS PACKAGE IN OCTOBER?

New Poster

Re: WHY IS COMCAST CHANGING TURNER CLASSIC MOVIES TO SPORTS PACKAGE IN OCTOBER?

After moving TCM, what next for Comcast - they move ABC to another package in order to support the "More Sports & Entertainment"?  I DON'T want the MORE SPORTS package.  I recently switched from AT&T because of service, but AT&T never broke the sprit of our agreement by switching chanels to a different package and then asking for ransome to get the chanel back.  And, oh by-the-way not telling us about it.  And to add insult to injury I just stopped-by the local Comcast store and had them print out the "new" chanel line-up.   Guess what, TCM was still in the old line-up.

What action should we take to get Comcast to think before they act and arbitarialy yank channels from packages we subscribed to and have paid for?  

New Poster

I, for one, watch TCM frequently and am outraged that it is now a pay channel.  I do not watch that much sports, ususally Colorado Avalanche, which has not been shown due to contract disputes with Altitude TV, and some college football.  I do not need foreign language channels that are forced on us, so I am researching my "contract" with xfinity and will likely "cut the cord" and go with something else.  Netflix and Hulu are looking very enticing.

New Poster

leave tcm alone

New Poster

A bald faced lie. Comcast is going to lose money from this move of TCM to a sports tier.
Regular Visitor

I too am very upset with the Comcast change of TCM to a subscription to a sports channel package that requires additional fee.  I did not see any notification about this change!

This is clearly a way for Comcast to increase their revenue on the backs of loyal cusomers.  Well, after this, I will not be so loyal. Time to start looking for alternatives.....

New Poster

F Comcast. Time to leave
New Poster

Re: TCM Being Placed in Extra Cost Tier

Outrageous.  I'm seriously considering going back to my antenna.

Bundling TCM with sports is inane.

In addition, my internet is slower and the Xfinity speed test gives numbers that don't match up with other speed tests I run.

A den of thieves.

New Poster

Re: TCM BEING MOVED TO SPORTS PACKAGE

I’m getting ready to retire on a fixed income. I will do whatever it takes to reduce my bill. Will probably either switch providers or to internet only.
New Poster

I am so upset that one of my favorite channels is no longer available except on a sports package, which makes no sense.  I have been a loyal customer who pays on time for many years.  I have many , many stations I do not want, but am charged an exorbitant amount for them.  But one of the stations I do want and watch you take away and add to a location which is unexplainable.  The decisions Comcast makes should reflect customer wishes, not management arbitrary ideas.  If you ask customers you would find out what decisions about programming would be wisest.  I will soon be looking elsewhere.  

New Poster

i agree. thought i was getting tmc, instead the company tricked me into buying tmce channel 590. what a scam. i guess i need to cut back

New Poster

Re: Turner Classic Movies

Removed by me for violating forum guidelinesWe have been a customer of Comcast for over 20 years and pay our bill on time every month. One of the main programs that we watch is TCM. We pay for countless channels under our package that we do not want or watch but TCM was one of our major favorites. We turn on TCM las night and it now says we need a subscription and to upgrade. Are they serious? And on top of everything else they moved it to a Sports Entertainment package which we certainly dont want. To say that we are upset is an understatement. <Edited>

Contributor

@ComcastAlly wrote:

Viewership of TCM is low, as over 90% of our customers watch less than two movies per month.

I would love to know how YOU know this? I don't believe it, but I still would like to know.  Is this the same logic you used when you removed weatherscan? Is this the two-way cable networking equipment I've been hearing about, enabling comcast to know, store, and sell (hello nielson ratings!) (hello class action -- Wainblat v. Comcast Cable!)  subscriber viewing habits???

Frequent Visitor

Re: WHY IS TMC BEING GROUPED IN WITH A SPORTS CHANEL??? THIS IS NOT GOOD !!!

The only reason we've kept them this long is because of TCM.  Now that they've removed that obstacle, they've lost a TV customer for good!  

Monday morning, I'll hand in our DVR and cancel my TV service, which will cut the bill by 2/3.  We already have Netflix, Gaia and Amazon Prime, and I'll sign up for Usenet, where you can download jsut about anything FREE and LEGAL.  

Since all they care about is money --- HIT THEM IN THE PROFITS. 

#FREETCM

New Poster

I am in agreement. Everyone pays a huge fee for TV and expects to keep the same channels that they normally have. Many senior citizens watch TCM. I’m sure the Comcast realizes this. I’m extremely disappointed that they would remove this from the lineup especially as it directly impacts senior citizens. I’m shaking my head in disbelief. If they wanted to move something then why not make stations that are in different languages a package that is paid for. This way the majority of us aren’t paying for stations that we don’t watch. Those that watch stations in different languages would have the opportunity to get it by paying for a package. So if it’s a money issue for Comcast why not give us back TCM and make these foreign languages stations a money making package.
Frequent Visitor

I hope one of Comcast’s customers is an attorney that watches TCM and starts a class action suit!

New Poster

Furious at losing TCM.  I am looking up DIRECTV and DISH. This is a bait and switch,  deceitful move on Comcast part - Will not put up with it.  POORLY DONE COMCAST.

New Poster

TCM Removal

I am outraged that TCM has been removed from my package, and after speaking to a rep and reading forum messages I now know why.

My outrage isn't so much grounded in no longer being able to watch TCM "for free," it's about making a decision on a package two years ago and now having to pay an additional charge to enjoy the same service.

It's an arrogant move that shows no respect for customers. When can I expect to receive a discount for the portion of the agreed upon service I no longer have?

New Poster

I could find at least 34 other Channels that no one watches that I'm forced to keep. The one redeeming channel they take away. 

New Poster

TCM moved to a sports package is ridiculous.

I for one will let them know of my displeasure by cutting the cord. Truthfully one of the only reasons I kept it this long was TCM.  I do not allow Football in our home for my reasons so I will NOT be paying for that package which means TCM is gone. So no reason to continue with Comcast anymore. I will save a ton of money and stream my shows from other sources. Since TCM is a private company don't be surprised if it doesn't show up elsewhere in the near future. Truthfully we have been struggling to find quality shows worth paying $209 a month for. Absolutely ridiculous move and probably not their last. If enough of us cancel our service with them maybe they'll get the message. But I doubt it!

New Poster

I am so angry about this.  That was my favorite channel.  I will be cancelling Comcast and going to a better service.

New Poster

Me too.  Since my contract ended, the price of my service has increased by more than 25% while produce has consistently decreased,  and now they have dumped my favorite channel into a "sports package" that ends up charging me $10 per month more for a "package" that I do not want.  We'll be looking seriously at cable cutting in the near future.

Frequent Visitor

Re: TCM

WHY? MONEY!!!!!! They must not be selling enough sports packages.  They ASSUME (remember what Felix said about THAT!!) we are so feeble minded and/or desperate that we will fork over
MORE MONEY.  

NOT ME! I'd rather fork my savings from cutting their cable TV into getting a UIsenet subscriptiona, dnd that's what I'm gonna do   Anyone interested in more info can email me fig4159 @ comcast

It's just a mattter of time before TCM decides to offer itself as a stand alone subscription anyway. 

#FREETCM

New Poster

Been a customer since 2010 and going to terminate my contract and go with ATT. Shame !

Just agreed to my new contract in May 2019 and they broke contract and baited and switched me, which is illegal. I am reporting them !

New Poster

Re: ALERT: Comcast Taking Away Channels Again

TMC and the sports Package rediculous . Pure greed and sticking it to your customers.  Shame on Comcast.

Regular Visitor

To send an email about losing TCM  to Xfinity Executive VP of Customer Service, Tom Karnishak:

1.  Sign in to your Xfinity account

2.  Click on “Support” at the top

3.  Scroll to the bottom of the page

4.  In first column on the left side, click on “Contact Customer Support”

5.  Scroll down to “A Message from Tom”

6. At the bottom of the paragraph, click on “Read a letter from Tom”

7.  Scroll to the bottom, to the final paragraph

8.  Click on link “Contact me”

New Poster

UNless TCM is back in my package, it's bye-bye Comcast, hello AT&T.

Regular Contributor

Comcast's answer the the TMC "WHY" question

In that locked thread you'll see this answer:

"

Hello, mbg71. Thank you for reaching out. 

Every month, Comcast pays programmers like networks, local TV station owners and others, for the ability to bring their programming to you. We regularly review our programming and sometimes make changes to ensure we're offering a wide variety of programming at the best value. We look at a variety of factors, including customer viewership and programming costs when making these decisions. Viewership of TCM is low, as over 90% of our customers watch less than two movies per month. Given this and contractual limitations on offering TCM a la carte, we decided to move TCM to the Sports Entertainment Package, which will help us manage programming costs that are passed on to our customers while continuing to make the channel available to those who want to watch it."

According to the posts I've seen here (before they get locked or removed) It appears to me that there are very many people who use this channel.

In addition, what about all those channels that nobody watches? Move those tto the "Sports Entertainment" channel and put TCM back where it was. While you're at it, put the Military channel and CMT back where they were also.

Thanks

.Net Programmer
New Poster

Re: THOUSANDS WANT TURNER CLASSIC MOVIE CHANNEL LEFT ALONE AND NOT SWITCHED TO SPORTS PACKAGE

I have been a loyal customer of Comcast for 28 years, and TCM was the channel that I watched most often. I am appalled that Comcast would place TCM in a package with sports channels that I don't watch. I already pay over $100/month and now they want to charge an additional amount. I believe that the company is aware of the popularity and viewership of TCM so they expect subscribers to pay more. I believe that it's outright thievery.
New Poster

I am with all of you who are angry about the change on TCM. We too are looking into leaving Xfinity because they clearly done have their customers best interest.

* Xfinity I request you rethink you plan or even have two plans where you offer TCM on its own.
In a sports Metaphor you really dropped the ball.
New Poster

TCM where the heck is it?

TCM where the heck is it? What a lame move on Comcast part. This is already the worst cable I have ever paid 239.00$ a month for in my life , now you go and take one of the only things worth watching. PUT IT BACK Please....

Extremely dissatisfied customer..

New Poster

No TCM- I’m so sick of Comcast !!!

<Edited>- I don’t watch sports- I watch old movies.<br>The only reason I had the plan I did was for TCM and now it’s gone? What’s left, junk I don’t watch and I’ve been a customer forever !!!<br><Edited> Good job guys in driving away your customers. Not giving you anymore money, time to explore other options and don’t beg me to come back. You messed up, I could lease a car for what I pay you. I feel really betrayed. Others said you were no good but I ignored the criticisms <Edited>

Regular Visitor

In the 2018 Comcast 10-K report, I see that Comcast made net income of $11.3 BILLION. Now, the company is gouging us by moving TCM into the sports package. We don't watch sports. We don't care about the other things in this package. Putting TCM in this package is likely a monopolistic overreach that can be reversed through a petition to regulating bodies our respective states. I will be researching how to petition my regulatory body against this move, because it is nothing more than an attempt to gouge customers.

Problem is, without we customers, THERE WOULD BE NO SHAREHOLDER PROFITS. I presently $231 per month, month after month after month. This means I pay Comcast $2,772 per year. Since I first signed up with Comcast in 2002, I've paid this company over $43K. 

Now, I'm getting gouged for $9.99 extra a month for basically one channel, because I DON'T WANT SPORTS AND NEVER WATCH THEM. That is despicable. What this whole thing is - corporate beancounters are testing the market to see if the losses of people like me (because I'm disgusted with Comcast and will be actively pursuing other options) will be outweighed by the people who simply sigh and pay the extra.

I just got off the telephone with an agent (in the Philippines) who told me I can complain to Comcast corporate at corporate.comcast.com.

Because I am so disgusted with Comcast's complete disregard of its customers at the corporate level, I plan to call my US Senators and Representative as well as my state Rep and Senator about it, and I will be calling my county government to find out which agency can be petitioned to force Comcast to reverse this decision. 

New Poster

Great Suggestion!  TCM needs to be bombarded with our complaints about xfinity/comcast.

Contributor

First, I find it amusing that Comcast has labeled this thread as being SOLVED.  By the ever increasing number of pages with complaints I would clearly disagree with their view of the matter.

I admit to either not reading the fine print in my August statement about this happening on October 10th or reading it and not having it register that TCM is a (was a) channel that my Wife would often watch while eating lunch and/or making dinner.

I also find it a totally ignorant decision to place TCM within a sports package?  Who makes this type of decision?? Irregardless, we already spend way too much of our fixed income with Comcast and I have been spending hours on researching cutting the cord and ultimately finding a new ISP since my Wife began cussing at the TV on Thursday the 10th.

As a suggestion to others, one of the BEST resources I have found so far is at this website:

https://cordcuttingreport.com/cord-cutting-guide/ - they have really done their research and have links to the various resources they have looked into.

Our contract is up next March which gives me time to find the right alternatives and after 30 years of being a subscriber, I fully intend to say goodbye. The one thing that Comcast seems to forget is the old adage, "the customer is always right"!

Maybe, in a way, this is a blessing for a lot of us who are on fixed incomes because it forces us to finally look at the cord cutting alternatives that are so readily available now, so in that respect, maybe we should say Thank You to Comcast for finally getting us to take a look at alternatives!

New Poster

Re: THOUSANDS WANT TURNER CLASSIC MOVIE CHANNEL LEFT ALONE AND NOT SWITCHED TO SPORTS PACKAGE

I just emailed the CEO compalining about it.  It's outrageous.  Write the CEO, google, his first name is Brian.

Frequent Visitor

I don’t recall seeing a notice about TCM moving. This morning was shocked to find I now need a subscription. Really? But yet you offer religious channels, shopping channels, news channels ad nauseum. And don’t forget the Hallmark channels. I already pay A LOT for channels I don’t watch. And now Comcast wants me to pay extra for one of the few channels I watch? <br><br>Time to cut the cable and move to YouTube TV.
Frequent Visitor

I think you guys are full of it!! you are moving loved channels to bundled packages and or making some extra such as Cinemax. the ONLY reason I see for your moves is to extract more mony from long time customers! I am seriously thinking of dumping Comcast due to their hard handed policies to people like myself that pay over $200 a month for channels I can no longer get in my digital premiere package. Comcast, you customers are very unhappy!!!!
New Poster

Looking at alternatives. I am in one of Comcast's most expensive plans and now they want extra $$$ for me to watch one of the few channels I do watch. I will never do it and urge others to resist also. I will definately be looking for an alternative to Comcast for access to TCM. Actions like this is what inspires customers to explore cord-cutting. If I have to pay extra to watch TCM I will use my smart TV and pay anyone but Comcast for the privilege. This action has taken me from being a content customer to one who is extremely unhappy and will be l;ooking for alteratives to Comcast.

New Poster

Have had TCM for the length of time i have been with Comcast...28 years...will not be paying more than what i pay now...tired of paying their high prices...someone saw this move as another source of revenue...greedy...will be switching, and once i switch, there will be no moving back.

Regular Visitor

They are so bad at their job.  I have a contract with them and by removing Turner Classic Movies I do believe they just broke our contract.  Comcast-Xfinity  is one of the worst companies on earth as far as I am concerned.

Frequent Visitor

Re: TCM BEING MOVED TO SPORTS ENTERTAINMENT PACKAGE

not clear on how Comcast/Xfinity can change a 24 month contract that included TCM, then remove TCM and require that I subscribe to a "package" that will result in an increase over the amount for which I contracted.  Is this even legal?

New Poster

Re: TCM Removed from Previous Channel Line-Ups

I agree 100%. I have been with Xfinity/Comcast for 15(+) years. Direct TV here I come!

New Poster

This is a disgusting move! The idea of putting Turner Classic Movies with a sports channel subscription is absolutely NUTS! What bean-brain thought that one up? Movie afficionados are typically NOT into watching the World Tiddly-wink Championships!

Someone said they have other ways of getting TCM. Can you share? And give me tips on how to "cut the cable"? Thanks!

Frequent Visitor

Re: TCM move to Sports Package

Is this forum really locked?

New Poster

Re: Comcast's answer the the TMC "WHY" question

thats a big pile ,i must turn on tcm first to see whats playing  when the tv comes on , and that happens at least 10 times a day

New Poster

Yep. ASAP I am cutting the cord. I've had enough.

Regular Visitor

If you are in the lucky ones to actually speak with somebody about the complaint of Comcast changing the viewing on Turner movie classic you will speak with someone from the Philippines. The agent has no knowledge about Comcast nor do they have any knowledge about Turner movie classic. This matter is unsettling. I will be closing my account as soon as my contract is over which is November. I refuse to buy a package with my only interest is in Turner movie classic and not any sports or military, or country channels.
New Poster

here-here

@DoverPARon wrote:

First, I find it amusing that Comcast has labeled this thread as being SOLVED.  By the ever increasing number of pages with complaints I would clearly disagree with their view of the matter.

I admit to either not reading the fine print in my August statement about this happening on October 10th or reading it and not having it register that TCM is a (was a) channel that my Wife would often watch while eating lunch and/or making dinner.

I also find it a totally ignorant decision to place TCM within a sports package?  Who makes this type of decision?? Irregardless, we already spend way too much of our fixed income with Comcast and I have been spending hours on researching cutting the cord and ultimately finding a new ISP since my Wife began cussing at the TV on Thursday the 10th.

As a suggestion to others, one of the BEST resources I have found so far is at this website:

https://cordcuttingreport.com/cord-cutting-guide/ - they have really done their research and have links to the various resources they have looked into.

Our contract is up next March which gives me time to find the right alternatives and after 30 years of being a subscriber, I fully intend to say goodbye. The one thing that Comcast seems to forget is the old adage, "the customer is always right"!

Maybe, in a way, this is a blessing for a lot of us who are on fixed incomes because it forces us to finally look at the cord cutting alternatives that are so readily available now, so in that respect, maybe we should say Thank You to Comcast for finally getting us to take a look at alternatives!

Regular Visitor

Where's my TCM?

????

New Poster

This is exactly how I feel. I watch TCM all the time. I pay $275/month and still dont have this channel. I've been with Comcast since 1997, but I'm looking for another option. Ridiculous Comcast!!