Community Forum

WHY IS COMCAST CHANGING TURNER CLASSIC MOVIES TO SPORTS PACKAGE IN OCTOBER?

Highlighted
New Poster

Re: WHY IS COMCAST CHANGING TURNER CLASSIC MOVIES TO SPORTS PACKAGE IN OCTOBER?

TCM is one of the very few channels that my mother actually watches on TV. She was SO angry today when she learned about this. She will never subscribe to the new package <Edited>

We already have monthly subscriptions to Hulu ($5.99), Netflix ($12.99) and Amazon Prime ($12.99). And there are new streaming services from Disney+ ($6.99), HBO Max ($14.99) and Apple TV ($4.99) coming out soon. Disney even offers a bundle package: Disney+, ESPN+ and Hulu for $12.99!

The combined price of all these platforms is LESS than what we currently pay per month to Comcast, which is $150+.

My family is officially done with cable. 

Goodbye, Comcast TV.

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

Re: THOUSANDS WANT TURNER CLASSIC MOVIE CHANNEL LEFT ALONE AND NOT SWITCHED TO SPORTS PACKAGE

I had the Sports and Entertainment Pacakge in order to get TCM and  HBO, Showtime, Starz, etc and I don't watch sports at all. Anyway, the "promotion" that i had expired last month and my bill went up 15%. I went tot the local Comcast office and got a new promation, Super Triple Play, which includes the Sports and Entertainment Package for about the same cost as I was paying before. So why was I unable to watch Turner Classics on Friday evening? They were running some Japanese horror movies that I would have liked to see but all I got was "Subscription Required".  I was going to call Comcast this morning but I checked and Turner Classics was available again. Can't they even transition the channel without having it unavailable for that day? I also thiink there is some difference in the way that TCM is now received by the cable box, but that could be a new topic someday.

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

I will be dumping you shortly! You took away one of the channels that is in the package I paid for.  You didn't even give me a warning. I will not give you  warning when I set your equipment on the porch for you to come pick up.

Highlighted
New Poster

TCM

I want the channels I signed up for, for remainder of my 2 year contract, no more no less! I want my TCM back!
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Looking at the Xfinity package that iis now includeds TCM, I already get most of the channels that are budled (except CMT and now TCM). So why should I subscribe to a package that I already have most of the channels for? It would give me one additional sports channel that I could gladly live without. So basically I would be paying for the one channel I want.

Highlighted
New Poster

TCM

How much of a reduction in my bill is coming since you removed TCM?  <Edited>.  It never finished each question it asked and then hung up on me 5 times.  Finally i arranged a call back and that lady hung up on me when I asked for a supervisor.  <Edited>  I am awaiting an immediate call back from management. 

Highlighted
New Poster

I Want My TCM!

Shame on you Comcast for moving TCM to Sports. Do you think we TCM viewers are stupid and don't recognize your shameless money grab? Adding my opinion in hopes Comcast reverses this regrettable decision. Bring back TCM!

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Turner Classic Movies now in Sports Package???

OMG!!! Now I am looking into cutting the cable!
I pay almost $200 a month... a senior lady on fixed income and watch TCM classic movies a lot...I hate sports so would never pay xtra to get it. This is absolutely ridiculous because what does TCM have to do with sports!!! We are being forced to pay more to get what we signed up for. I bought the package with TCM and its gone! I have been with Comcast from the beginning and put up with rate hikes but taking away TCM from elderly people who enjoy watching movies from their sentimental years is a disgrace!!!
Highlighted
New Poster

TCM channel

I am very upset that you have moved the TCM channel to a sports package deal.  Come on, this is ridiculous and not very customer friendly.

Highlighted
Not applicable

Re: TCM

I am currently locked into a contractual term with Comcast. Can anyone tell me if the company has broken that agreement with the TCM/Cinemax shuffle allowing me now to quit dealing with Comcast and find a new alternative to my cable viewing?

Highlighted
New Poster

Charge for TCM? Goodbye Comcast, Hello Less Greedy Alternative

As if we aren’t paying enough already for Comcast’s annoyingly pixilating service, now the company’s bean-counters have devised a bizarre scheme to squeeze additional charges from customers: make them pay for TCM content as part of an inexplicable “sports package.” Don’t look for logic behind this decision — there is no rationality in believing old movie lovers will suddenly realize that they really should start branching out in their TV viewing to include more sports coverage. Plain and simple, this is unadulterated money-grubbing, and unless the company reverses its decision, I encourage all Comcast customers to follow me in identifying and selecting another service provider that isn’t so cavalier with its clients’ limited resources.
Highlighted
New Poster

Re: Turner Classic Movies

Yes, this is some business model that Comcast has, remove channels from your esxisting line-up and continue raising rates!  TCM needs an additional subscription to a sports package? Well, that makes a LOT of sence!  You can just see their greedy little fingers trying to pull more dollars out of your pocket!  It's no wonder that the Comcast / Xfinity customer satisfaction numbers have continued to tank faster than most other industries!

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Re: THOUSANDS WANT TURNER CLASSIC MOVIE CHANNEL LEFT ALONE AND NOT SWITCHED TO SPORTS PACKAGE

Count me in with those who rather continue to get TCM and give up the sports channels I almost never watch. 

Highlighted
New Poster

Big corporations w/big executives gettng BIG TAX CUT while consumers are forced to pay BIGGER BUCKS FOR EVEN LESS SERVICE!  

Highlighted
Contributor

Customer here since 1988.  Everything ends, I guess.  Change will be good.

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

LOL. Still laughing. Of course you hid my post. No surprise there. I became angry about you putting TCM into a sports package that I neither want nor need, and then charging me another $10 a month for it. I mentioned I would be pursuing the complaint with my national and state legislators and also mentioned that I found out when my contract is done and that unless you reverse this action, I will be leaving you at that time. Comcast isn't for its customers. Nor it is for its workers. The only people it cares about, apparently, are its shareholders, who according to Comcast's 10K report had net profits of $11.3 billion in 2018, as well as a CEO who 'earned' $35 million. So there you have it. Hide again.

But this ISN'T resolved, and Comcast will be losing money over this decision in the long term. I've been a customer since 2002, and have paid you over $43K in that time for cable, internet and landline services, and presently (with the sports package being forced down my throat) pay you $243 a month. But you won't have that after this coming March 5 when my contract is up. Not unless you reverse this decision.

So happy, happy. Feel free to hide again. And again. And again...cause I'll keep coming back.

Highlighted
New Poster

I was just thinking that.
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

It occurs to me that with the predominance of trash available lately on TV, more and more viewers are watching the old movies on TCM to avoid all the sexcapades and inane programing, not to mention the endless commercials.  Comcast/Exfinity have realized this and seek to profit from it.

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Re: TCM Being Placed in Extra Cost Tier

I put a post on here and got it hidden. But no worries. I'll be contacting my national and state legislators about what I believe to be monopolistic overreach on your part, and will be researching what agencies in Colorado exercise regulatory oversight over you. 

In addition, I will be cancelling my subscription on March 5, when my contract expires unless you reverse this decision - and I've been a subscriber since 2002, paid you over $43K at this point. But I've finally had it. I have a casual interest in sports at best and to be forced to subscribe to a sports package for the sake of the TCM channel is offensive to me as a matter of principle.

Good luck to your $35 million/yr CEO and your $11.3 billion net-profit company. You will be losing my $243 a month come March 2020. 

But them, I'm just a nobody, right? A drop in the bucket. 

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Turner Classic Movies: Bait and Switch?

After losing access to Turner Classic Movies two days ago, I upgraded my existing Xfinity cable TV service to a bundled channel package that included the Sports and Entertainment service. I received a hard copy of my new channel lineup from the local Comcast office, along with the new cable box they said was necessary to receive TCM again.

I was back to watching TCM Thursday and Friday, but this morning my access to it was again blocked.  When I called, they said my bundled service did not include the Sports and Entertainment package and that I could not watch TCM unless I paid an additional $10/month to my already upgraded service.

Understand that they made it clear I would receive the Sports and Entertainment service and TCM with the upgraded service, and that TCM was available for two days after they had initially removed it.  The hardcopy of the channel lineup lists TCM as one of the included channels in the new service package with the tier highlighted by the customer service rep, and I was able to watch TCM again for two days.

Now I am locked in a 2-year contract with a $230 cancellation fee for upgraded service that Comcast initially said included the Sports and Entertainment package including TCM, but now they insist it does not.

How can I get Comcast to honor their original service agreement?  Am I stuck with their bait and switch scheme?

Highlighted
New Poster

Re: TCM Removed from Previous Channel Line-Ups

This is the 2nd time it was moved up shameful.
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Another poor decision by Comcast.  A couple of months ago they took away Cinemax and gave us a lousy b movie channel Hitz. <Edited>. Haven't watched one movie on that channel yet. Oh, I'm sorry, thats not a channel its only on demand. Bye bye Cinemax.

Now they take TCM away and ad it to sports. Too much sports now. 

Rethink this Comcast. 

You are just making it easier for customers to switch.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

I am thinking it is time to change services to someone who appreciates their customers and understands serving them.

Highlighted
New Poster

Hi
I don’t know where you are getting your info that 90% only watch 2 movies a MONTH. As we watch TCM EVERYDAY . Not just for the movies but the historical information that all the host impart. The one question not answered is why put it in a Sports package???? It makes no sense! And what do we get in it place, nothing? Are you going to reduce our bill??
New Poster

Re: TCM BEING SWITCHED TO SPORTS PACKAGE IN OCTOBER

Soooooo discusted with Comcast now.  TCM requires additional subscription?  This is the single most irritating utility I deal with, worse than the phone and energy companies!  The Comcast business model, delete channels and incrase rates......  And wihile I'm at it, their equipment is also trash, I'm on my 5th converter box, and my cable modem died so many times their service tech told me I shold go out and buy my own if I wanted reliable internet service.  I really feel sorry for their staff responsible for dealing with the public.  I'm now actively looking or alternatives.  

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

I am cutting the cord

I just wanted to let you know that I will be canceling my TV cable service tomorrow and returning my equipment. I am doing this because I am a) paying too much b) you took a movie channel (TCM) and moved it to a sports package that would cost me $10 more a month. I can have that and all the other channels I want on YouTube TV for less . I am sharing this with you because Comcast needs to know that they are losing customers because of the way they treat those customers.

Highlighted
New Poster

10/12/19-My husband visited our Comcast store and told them he was cancelling service, mainly due to the removal of TCM from the lineup. IMMEDIATELY, the manager there put TCM back into our lineup AT NO ADDITIONAL CHARGE.We’ve been told our current rate will not change. A SQUEAKY WHEELS GETS THE GREASE (or in this case, gets TCM!)
Highlighted
New Poster

The answer is Comcast wants more money @$9.99+
They are hoping customers will want TCM and pay for it.
Highlighted
New Poster

Re: DISAPPOINTED IN COMCAST

Agree!!
Highlighted
New Poster

The  decision to bundle TCM with sports is outrageous.  Please, sports with classic movies.?  Such an odd pairing.  I assume the sports shoe is not doing well.  My wife and probably many others watch TCM on a regular basis.  We will never sign up for this combination.  I am ready to pull the plug on Comcast.  

Highlighted
New Poster

Rediculous!!
Highlighted
Contributor

I like how it disappears on a long weekend when I can't call and complain

Highlighted
New Poster

I agree that Xfinity/Comcast's decision to move Turner Classic Movies to a premium channel is underhanded.  I think I'll cancel my subscription and move to a program like Sling. 

Highlighted
New Poster

I dont want a sports package. I want TCM.   I dont watch over paid disrespecting thugs throw a football.  I want TCM ! My cable and internet go out at least twice a week and dont get credit. So give me TCM ! I am ready to pull the plug on you high priced over rated company.   BRING BACK TCM WITHOUT THE SPORTS PACKAGE..FREE

Highlighted
Contributor

So what happens now?  Just got into a new contract (which you messed up btw) - do I have to re-sign up again???

Highlighted
New Poster

Terrible, despicable move. A lineup littered with garbage. Comcast, I cannot wait to LEAVE YOU AS A CUSTOMER for good because of this decision. DirecTV here I come. 

Highlighted
New Poster

I Think It's Wrong and Aggravating That Your Company Has Moved and Taken Away TCM Channel From My Cable Package! A Channel That I've Had For Over 25 Years!! And You Want People To Upgrade and Pay Extra?! I'm Going To Cancel My Service, Prices Keep Going Up and Less Channels and Worse Service!! (ಠ_ಠ) (ಠ_ಠ) (ಠ_ಠ)

Highlighted
New Poster

MY HUSBAND AND I ARE VERY UPSET ABOUT COMCAST MAKING THIS HORRIBLE MOVE OF TCM TO AN EXTRA CHARGE TO A SPORTS PACKAGE. WE ARE "THE SO CALLED 10%" THAT WATCH TCM, IF FACT WE WATCH IT 90% OF THE TIME. IF THIS IS NOT CORRECTED WE WILL BE LIKE MANY OTHERS AND CUTTING THE CORD TO COMCAST AND SWITCHING TO STREAMING CHANNELS WE LIKE. WE ALREADY PAY WAY TOO MUCH FOR COMCAST SERVICES SO THIS WE HELP US MAKE OUR DECISION~

Highlighted
New Poster

i want TCM

How much is the sports and entertainment package that now includes TCM compared to preferred digital?

Highlighted
New Poster

I'm straight up about 2 cancel & have streaming services like my kids .I even use Twitter 2 tell ppl abt classic movies I watch & have since the channel's inception! I got 0 notice , can only speak 2 bits unless it's about my bill & my bedroom remote didn't synch for 6 mis. ! Bye Comcast!
Highlighted
New Poster

As soon as possible, I'm getting rid of comcast.  I love TCM and watch it as much or more than any other channel. To say I'm disappointed/angry is a gross understatment.   This stinks.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

I just bought a RoKu device.  I am cutting all Comcast services.  I subscribed to Sling and got all the channels I wanted DVR and turner classic movies for 68.39 + tax.

just cut the cord now and save yourself the hassle of working with this corrupt company.

Highlighted
New Poster

Re: TCM Removed from Previous Channel Line-Ups

Awesome 👍 I hope you don't mind if I copy and paste your email and forward it on to Xfinity... Well stated and EXACTLY what I feel. 💪
Highlighted
New Poster

Re: ALERT: Comcast Taking Away Channels Again

I agree this is getting ridiculous ..getting fed up..time to find another option

Highlighted
New Poster

I just sent TCM that they will be losing a lot of viewers because of this. Ball is in their court.
Highlighted
New Poster

It is only about money.... young people want the sports so they pay $9.99 and Comcast tacks on TCM ( which the young folks don't care about) for nothing.  Comcast then expects those of us who don't care about the sports package to pay the $9.99 for TCM.  I won't.  Where do we get a credit for the progamming that they took away?  They reduce the content of your monthly package without giving you a refund, and then they charge youu $9.99 to get the programming back..... is that the way things are suppose to work? 

Highlighted
New Poster

the choices on Sports and Entertainment are terrible...no mmovies or entertainment and low level sports

this is a total ripoff

Highlighted
New Poster

They did the same thing with EPIX a couple of months ago (although they never inform me when this happens).  They just remove a channel from the package I have and I have to add it back in for a fee if I want to watch it.  They shouldn't be allowed to do this.  I am a new customer (moved into the Seattle area last April) and I signed a contract for my survice that "guaranteed" my price would not go up for a year.  Then they removed EPIX, and to get my full package back (with EPIX) I had to pay extra for it.  In otherwords, they raised the price for the "package" I signed up for.  Now they've done it with TCM as well.  I have half a mind to lodge a formal complaint with the FCC!

Highlighted
New Poster

I'm with you...73 yrs old Remember SELKIRK before comcast...Well thats me.Thats how long i've been with comcast.Taking every penny out of this old man living on SOCIAL SECURITY.TCM was my favorite channel.Now they take that.No thought of the old Viet Nam veterns 66-69 they could care less or old men.I'm cutting the cable...THEY MAKE ME SICK TO MY STOMACH.....

Highlighted
New Poster

Stupid reason. Not client friendly.