Community Forum

WGN America

Frequent Visitor

WGN America

When I disconnected my phone service and was required to get a new tv package wgn America was dropped. My husband is very upset about this. We got this network on channel18. I understand you’re trying to renegotiate this contract to bring this channel back. Do you have any idea when it might be coming back?
Official Employee

Re: WGN America

Hello MaryStarnes. We have not received any communication regarding the contract negotiations for this channel. We regularly examine our channel lineups and talk with a wide range of programmers to ensure that we are bringing the content that our customers want the most. We appreciate your feedback and thank you for taking time to reach out to us.

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

Comcast JoeTru,

Thank you for your reply although it was not exactly what I wanted to hear.  Before this post I talked with people in resolutions who had told me Comcast was negotiating with these channels.  However, after this post someone from Tom Karinshak's office contacted me.  She really tried to be helpful, and referred me to the Regional Executive Team.  A person from this office actually called me, which I did not expect.  However, she didn't have a positive answer for me either.  She told me it was technically impossible to get my old package back because you all no longer carry this package, and are in the process of changing every subscriber over to the simple and easy plan as their contracts expire.  Then nobody will be able to get the channels that were dropped.  She wasn't very hopeful of these channels ever coming back either.  I don't know whether there is anybody higher up I can appeal to or not.  I realize I'm just a single subscriber, and therefore don't have any leverage.

Official Employee

We truly appreciate your business and feedback, MaryStarnes. I apologize this is news you do not want to hear, however it is true that some channels are no longer available in our new channel packages in your area. In this case, WGN American is one of them. I will pass along your sentiment and feedback request for this channel. At this time, we do not have any option to provide you this channel. Again we thank you for your loyal business. 

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
New Poster

What bothers me is I just switched from Directv to Xfinity and I specifically mentioned WGN as one of the channels I wanted to have in my package and was not told it was not going to be available. When I tried to access the channel it said I needed to upgrade my package by going to xfinity.com. When I tried that I ran into all kinds of problems, but not one of the problems indicated that WGN was not available. I then called the 800 number and it was not until I talked to the three people that I was informed that the station was no longer offered. Very frustrating. I would not have switched from Directv if I would have known this.  

Frequent Visitor

Tom,

It seems like several people have had a similar thing to happen.  We have decided to stay with Comcast now because they offered us a promotional package that is a good deal, and they didn't have to do that.  We have been with them for ten years.  However, if we had decided to leave, I would have asked them to wave the termination fee because this is their mistake not ours.  I certainly don't believe this was an intent to deceive but just an unfortunate oversight.  I also think that because it is their mistake, and a lot of people are affected by it, they should find a way to restore those channels that were dropped.  I realize that could take a while, but I think they should renegotiate the contracts.   

New Poster

Same thing here! We recently “upgraded” and channels we loved are now not available or now “require a subscription”. Why were we not told we would lose channels? It seems a bit misleading and less than honest to tell people you will “gain” channels only to take away channels they routinely watch? Is this a ploy to have people upgrade again? My WiFi doesn’t seem much faster either? We will do our time and go elsewhere—really disappointed in the experience. Expected so much more from Comcast.
Official Employee

Hello, lhuthga. I apologize for the experience you received. You sure did reach the right place for help, however! I can do my best to look into your account and see what your services come with and if I have a promotion with the other channels that fits you better. 

Can you please private message me your full name? Thank you for posting to our forums. 
To send a private message, please click my name "ComcastMartin" then select "Send a Message" on the right side.

New Poster

I am in the same boat regarding WGN America & Discovery ID Channels. I recently upgraded the cable package for my parents, and they're extremely disappointed that these channels are no longer included. This is especially true since I told them there would be no changes in the channel lineup which I relayed to them when they were deciding what to do. My dad rotates between a handful of channels, and it seems several of those are among the ones now missing from his plan. How can I remedy this for them? I've locked them into a one year contract based on misinformation. What are their options to address this issue?
Frequent Visitor

It looks like a lot of us are "in the same boat" regarding missing channels.  After my post I received a reply from the office of the vice president of customer service.  I practically begged them to let us go back to our preferred digital package.  They said that was impossible, but offered us some free movie channels for one month LOL!  I told them we weren't interested in those channels.  I told them I really thought they should make an exception in our case because we were misinformed.  This was their fault; it was in no way our fault.  Somehow I didn't feel they were being completely truthful with me saying that it was impossible to go back to the preferred digital, because someone had already told me on the phone that the people who had stayed with the preferred digital still had access to those channels.  Something just didn't seem quite right about that.  Well, the customer service person finally said this was out of her area, and she would have someone from the team regional office contact me; I think that is the name of the office.  Anyway, it is something like that.  I think this office is about as high up as you can go unless you can talk to somebody from the office of the president of Comcast.  Well, the next morning someone from that office actually telephoned me. The customer service person had been emailing me.  So I asked the question, "why do the people who stayed with preferrred digital still have access to those channels if it is impossible for us to go back to that package?"  This lady was very nice, and she told me the first thing that really made sense.  She said when we changed plans we were treated as a new customer.  She said the preferred digital was no longer available for them to offer to anyone.  They are in the process of  changing everybody who had the preferred digital over to the new simple and easy package.  When the contracts of those subscribers to the preferred digital expire they will automatically be switched over to the simple and easy package.  Then those channels will disappear from their lineup also.  It was at this point that I decided not to try to take it to an even higher level.  I had thought about going the BBB.  We also decided to stay with Comcast; we had seriously thought about going with another provider.  But Comcast gave us a new deal that saves us about sixty dollars a month so we decided to stay as there are other features that we really like.  You said your parents were locked into a one-year contract.  You know you can buy out the contract.  It is expensive, but it can be done.  I know because I checked into it.   My husband did discover, much to our surprise and liking, that the METV network is available with our package.  It has many of the same shows as WGN America.  We get it on channel 1169.  I'm hoping and thinking that because so many people were misinformed, and they've had so many complaints that maybe they will seriously try to  re-negotiate the contracts with those channels that were dropped.  It may take a while, but it would be good for their business.        

Regular Visitor

Their website still shows these channels as available to new customers. Shameful.

Frequent Visitor

I agree.
Regular Visitor

HEY COMCAST!

BRING BACK WGN AMERICA!

Official Employee

Hello All, 

We regularly examine our channel lineups and talk with a wide range of programmers to ensure that we are bringing the content that our customers want the most. We appreciate your feedback and thank you for taking the time to reach out to us.