Community Forum

WGN America and WE gone after upgrade

Highlighted
New Poster

WGN America and WE gone after upgrade

I upgraded my Internet speed from 250 to 400 and re-upped my contract for two more years and my WGN and WE channels now say they're not part of my package. I didn't change my Digital Preferred TV package, so what gives Comcast?
Highlighted
Regular Contributor

Re: WGN America and WE gone after upgrade

they gone

I was told the same thing in michigan

i decided not to upgrade

Highlighted
New Poster

I wasn't told that they'd be gone. I was supposed to be remaining on the same package that I already had.
Highlighted
New Poster

I was just told the same thing, WGN is no longer offered because Comcast lost their contract with them.  Only grandfathered packages include WGN......which suggest there IS still some maintenance of a contract!

Highlighted
New Poster

I said specifically, I did not want to loose channels,  I would have opted NOT to upgrade if I knew what we would loose!!!

Highlighted
Official Employee

Hello, all. 

thank you for your feedback regarding WGN and WE. We regularly examine our channel lineups and talk with a wide range of programmers to ensure that we are bringing the content that our customers want the most. We appreciate your feedback and thank you for taking time to reach out to us. 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Highlighted
New Poster

My reward for agreeing to an additional 2 year agreement was to lose WGN an WE.  This doesn't make sense. These channels should be made available to existing customers who renew an agreement if you continue to provide these channels to other customers.

Highlighted
New Poster

To Xfinity / Comcast,

As other have been stating, I also recently upgraded to a new 4K box, added channels, and recommitted to more years with Comcast.  Yet I lost WGN and the other channels mentioned.

*** When will these channels be restored? ***

For Chicagoland and the large surronding areas, WGN is a LOCAL CHANNEL, and it is important to stay current on local news and community activies.  Please restore WGN (and the other channels) to this new "Platform" (?!?) as soon as possible!  Thank you.

Highlighted
Contributor

WGN America is a superchannel like TBS and doesn't have any news/local Chicago programming only syndicated/original programming. 

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

@hwkn wrote:

WGN America is a superchannel like TBS and doesn't have any news/local Chicago programming only syndicated/original programming. 

TBS divorced itself from "WTBS" years ago

Highlighted
Contributor

As did WGN from WGN America.

Highlighted
New Poster

I just found out that WGN America is no longer available with my outrageously expensive Xfinity package. Funny how the cost goes up but what you get for your money decreases. I see why the movement to cut the cord has grown.
Highlighted
New Poster

After upgrade there is a subscription needed msg on the channel, I immediatley called to subscripe.  I was told Comcast lost their contract with WGN America.  I argued, if that was the truth the channel would no longer be available to anyone, therefor there is some maintenece of a contract.  I was then informed the cost of the channel has increased so to keep cost low Comcast opted to discontinue the channel.  I again argued there is an entire forum thread devoted to customers furious that they lost the channel, they would gladly pay the increase.

Highlighted
New Poster

I was told the same thing. The representative told me they have been getting a lot of complaints regarding WGN AMERICA and WE TV. Really getting sick of this cable provider
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Well Comcast  <Edited>, you'll get faster internet l don't see any difference.

But l did lose WGN nd WE , <Edited>

On the phone with them for over a hour, told l can never go back to my old programming.

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

I was told my internet was faster. It’s not. It’s slower. So done with them once my contract expires. Removing TCM was the nail in the coffin.
Highlighted
New Poster

We still have WGN and TBS and WE networks out here.  However, at the rate they are replacing and removing channels, I think they should consider ala carte instead of Packages.  They just took off TCM and put it in a package with a bunch of minor sports channels that have nothing to do with classic movies.  Really stupid!  I would gladly drop the 75 or so alternative language channels I have to pay for, so I could add a few I would actually watch.  

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Or the 150 shopping channels, we lost all the Blue Bloods, MASH and Chicago PD reruns, <Edited>

Highlighted
New Poster

The Channel line up for packages online still includes WGN a year later.  Deceptive listings.  This is not just laziness it is criminal.

New Poster

No, my question wasn't answered.
Highlighted
New Poster

We are very upset. I wasn’t told either during my attempt to reduce the ever increasing prices by updating to the latest package that we would lose, WGN, WE, ID Discovery &amp; Crime channels. Now, we lost out on great programming from them. I’m thinking of switching over to FIOS TV and abandoning XFinity.
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

If l was explained to by Comcast that l would be loosing my wife's favorite station's l certainly would never have agreed to the "MASSIVE " reduction in my billing.

For the little drop in billing l lost some of the best programs on Comcast.

Color me unhappy.

Highlighted
New Poster

If you are keeping track, then Please add my displeasure of loosing WGN America and WE! Your customer service Did tell me I would loose them, so thank you for that. But, please, please restore these channels!

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

I believe WGN America should be added to our TV packages / channel lineup soon since the new parent company of that network, Nexstar just renewed a carriage deal with Comcast.

Not sure when though.

https://www.broadcastingcable.com/news/nexstar-tegna-reach-retrans-deals-with-comcast
Highlighted
New Poster

Would that include the programming we received on Channel for WGN which only remains available on Grandfathered contracts until
You upgrade your package, and then it’s removed?

Gary
Highlighted
New Poster

It has now been almost a year since I've lost WGN America after switching plans. This was my favorite channel to watch in the afternoons especially. 4 episodes in a row of In the Heat of the Night, and Married With Children at night. Please come back :((((

Highlighted
New Poster

UPDATE: Today I got my WGN back, a year after losing it! Thank you Comcast!!

2nd UPDATE: It was back on for 1 hour, now it's off again and says that a subscription is required. What's going on?

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Amazing that you could get WGN for about a hour and then magically it disappears again,

somewhere Comcast id sending out a signal for the stations we lost, because our friend still gets WGN and she lives only about a mile and a half from us.

We told her just never change her contract and it seems like she can keep WGN.

All the Blue Bloods and MASH and Chicago PD will stay on her television lineup.

Highlighted
New Poster

Just checked, WGNA still just says "Not Authorized" for me
Highlighted
New Poster

Once again our reward for upgrading is loss of services. When I asked to renew I did not ask for increased internet speed or to loose any services, now I have increased speed which my modem is not compatible with, have lost services, and am paying more for less. Great business model for you but we your customers are the losers. Mark my words, your lack of attention to your customers needs will lead to your loosing customers to Netflix, Amazon Prime, RUKU,HULU,Apple TV,Chromecast, Sling Tv etc etc. FEEL ME????????? Think about you next moves because they just be your last for a great number of customers.
Highlighted
New Poster

Most people would keep or go back to the way it as before the UPGRADE.

Highlighted
New Poster

We are furious at the loss of WGN and WE.  We were not informed about this change; this almost feels like a "bait and switch" operation.  Such omissions cause serious customer dissatisfaction.  Surely there is a remedy that will not punish loyal viewers.  Figure it out!

Highlighted
New Poster

Another extremely displeased customer.  And the official Xvinity "answer" above was no answer at all, since it was not specifically stated what happened to WGN American and WE and why.  Quite the nerve to ask us to tag it "best answer."

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Agree! We have a bunch of useless channels and the ones people enjoy watching get taken away with the price increases. 

Highlighted
New Poster

Just a few weeks ago, looking for a new Comcast "promotion" to replace mine that was running out, I agreed to a 2-year contract with more channels (220--of which I will watch 10 regularly and another 10 sporadically) and higher Internet speed.  Plus, I have to keep the bundled Voice service that I don't use and don't want.  Like others here, I was NOT told about the loss of WGN America and did NOT get higher Internet speed.  There was certainly no increase to the upload speed, which can be described as glacial.  (Or maybe not, since unlike Xfinity uploads, glaciers really have increased their speed because of climate change and all.)  I am really sorry to lose WGN America because In the Heat of the NIght is one of my favorite shows ever.  I hope WGN will develop a streaming package and offer it on smart TVs.  Then I can use the whopping 9 bucks a month that I will supposedly save with my new Xfinity contract to subscribe to WGN Streaming.  

Highlighted
Contributor

@kayardavis wrote:

I am really sorry to lose WGN America because In the Heat of the NIght is one of my favorite shows ever.

It does not solve the WGN America problem, but "In The Heat Of The Night" is also shown on METV, if that channel is available to you locally.

Highlighted
Contributor

P.S. If you have Amazon Prime, you can currently watch 7 seasons of "In the Heat of the Night" without commercials (I don't know what happened to season 8).

Highlighted
New Poster

Hulu now offers all 11 seasons of MASH... one last nail in the cord cutting coffin