Community Forum

Unable to remove reminders

New Poster

Unable to remove reminders

Hello,

I had a couple of reminders set to shows (non DVR box).  However I would like to remove the reminders.  The show has changed now to a different one.  But when the reminder pops up, and I go to the channel, the bell icon is not there, so I cannot remove the reminder.  The show on after has a reminder option, as other channels.  But the current show that does have the reminder does not have the icon.  Do you know what the problem may be?

Thank you.

Silver Problem Solver

Re: Unable to remove reminders

You need to go to that show in the guide BEFORE the reminder is triggered, if possible.

New Poster

This doesn't really work efficiently, if at all. 

First of all you have to watch for your reminders and then the NEXT WEEK remember to go in before they go off and delete them.  

Second of all, if you do what I seem to have done, which is set the maximum allowed repeating reminders, even if you do the step above, it will not let you delete them.  I get a message that says "MAXIMUM REMINDERS SET.  You have too many reminders set.  To set this reminder, first cancel an existing reminder. " 

I'd love to. 

Contributor

I'm getting a "too many reminders" message too and I've been trying to find a way to delete them. In looking through the forum I see answers like, "You have to go to the program in the guide, go to the info screen for it, then click the bell icon to set or clear a reminder" and the one above "You need to go to that show in the guide BEFORE the reminder is triggered."

Are you kidding? I have no idea what shows the reminders are on - THAT'S why I have reminders set. So I'm supposed to go to the program guide and go through around 400 channels (a gentle estimate, taking out music channels and channels I'm not subscribed to) for a week of shows (because my reminders are not all on one day) to try to find the bell??

C'mon Comcast.  First, why is the reminder limit so low (I could only have 5 or 6 at the most) and second, if you're going to limit reminders at least provide a better way to manage them.

New Poster

SUCCESS!!

With the help of a tech who actually listened to my problem and realized too that there was no other way to do it, my converter box was re-initialized.  This meant erasing all programming reminders (yay!) but it also wiped out my favorite channels lists and saved searches.  I was okay with this, because there is also no way to delete saved searches once they have been saved. 

So here's your resolution: 

Call or 'online chat' Comcast.  You will need your account information and the serial number on your digital converter.  Have this ready - the first tech disconnected my chat because I took too long (90 seconds) to go get the serial number, even after I had to wait 10 minutes for a tech.  :\

Tell them you are unable to delete your programmed reminders or access the settings and that you need to have your digital box re-initialized.   Upon realizing this is the only way to fix this problem they will finally reinitialize the box, wiping out all of your programmed reminders, saved searches and favorites lists.  Other than that my converter is now working fine and I no longer have out-dated reminders popping up all the time.

From now on I will remind myself on my cellphone for recurring tv shows, and use the ones on the digital box for 1-time reminders only.

hth

Silver Problem Solver

the easiest thing is to get a dvr and just record the show and then you don't need reminders.

New Poster

Really? That's your solution?  I'm supposed to pay another $16 a month to get dvr.  Gee, you're right.  I don't know why they have reminders on the non-dvr digital box anyway.  Heck, they shouldn't even HAVE the non-dvr digital box.  What were they thinking?

:\

New Poster

Thank you so much for posting the solution!  My daughter had put so many reminders on that we couldn't go an hour without seeing one!  I called Comcast and with your instructions... it took me literally 5 minutes. Smiley Happy  Awesome!  Thanks again!

Frequent Visitor

I have been frustrated this issue now for weeks.  It's just plain simple; someone dropped the ball in the design of these boxes.  Not everyone has (or needs) a DVR so if I wish to set reminders, at least make it easy enough to be able to pull them all up and remove/modify as necessary.

Having the only answer being calling Comcast and having them reset my box and having to wait for my guide to reload, lose all my favorites and settings isn't an answer at all. 

However, I will say, be smart and write a letter to headquarters.  And send it with tracking.  I've done so and if enough people expect better service for their money and speak up, it's far more progressive than just complaining about it.

The service really is lousy - I dearly miss Cablevision.  Even their DVR service was easier to manage.  I've written several letters about that to Rick and I wish more people would do the same. 

New Poster

I went to the guide and searched a week ahead and hit info on that show and I was able to remove the reminder.
New Poster

Thank u Stanley1212!!!! I have been beyond frustrated about the exact problem.
EVERYTHING I have read says to go to the show that has the reminder, info, go to the bell icon
& select "Don't remind". Yet when I do so the bell icon is missing. So sincerely thank u. I will be calling Comcast tomorrow to do this.
New Poster

JustPatricia I completely agree. I will be writing corporate to let them know
New Poster

about my frustrations & this forum, so that they can see there are several
people who have had this issue.
Frequent Visitor

Thanks! Ironically just recently I moved here to NC and so no more New Jersey Comcast anyway. But it's still worth a good letter. You see there are no forthcoming responses here so this is just a little fenced in area to herd us all into and have us kvetch here where no one notices, cares or acts. 

Gee, how smart they are. LMAO!