Community Forum

The YES Network and Blackout Restrictions

New Poster

The YES Network and Blackout Restrictions

Good Afternoon xfinity,

I was wondering if you give me some insight on something.  I live in Williamsport, PA 17701, and we are labeled as being in the "Wilkes-Barre/Scranton" local market for the NY Yankees.

Here's my problem: YES is not offered on the Comcast channel lineup here in 17701, BUT is offered if I lived in Wilkes-Barre or Scranton.

Therefore, because I am labeled as being in the Yankees local home market (17701), why is YES not offered in the channel lineup?  I went to my local xfinity/Comcast store and they basically told me that's just the way it is.

At least if the "local market" label were removed for us living here in the 17701 zip code, we could have other options (i.e., MLB Xtra Innings for example).  BUT, since we are in the "local market," we will be blacked out.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much for listening.
Problem Solver

Re: The YES Network and Blackout Restrictions

The moral of the story is that you are in-market for the Yankees. The entire Scranton/Wilkes-Barre television market is in-market for the Yankees, as well as the Mets. Comcast has made a business decision to not carry YES in Lycoming and Clinton counties, even though in theory, they could. Comcast has made the decision that for your area, Pittsburgh Pirates and Philadelphia Phillies fans are more prevalent. Carrying additional regional sports networks would result in substantially higher rates for cable services in these areas, and Central and Northeastern PA are in-market for as many as 5 RSN channels.

This does not allow for you to have a legal way to see these games with Comcast. The same issue exists for Comcast subscribers who are Mets fans. SNY is not offered in NE PA by Comcast, even though it is in-market. In Central PA, MASN is not carried in Mifflin and Perry counties even though it is in-market, affecting Baltimore Orioles and Washington Nationals games being seen there. 

New Poster

Re: The YES Network and Blackout Restrictions

Thanks for your reply.  I have spoken to MLB and all Comcast would need to do is remove Lycoming and Clinton from the Wilkes Barre home market, THEN, I could at least watch games through MLB.  According to MLB, Comcast says who's in a home market or not.  At least if you are not going to offer YES or SNY, then let us get our fix elsewhere.

I am willing to pay a premium a la carte maybe for YES.  But, I just don't get it.  Not fair.

New Poster

YES Network & SNY for Lycoming County PA!

Anyone out there in favor of Comcast adding the YES Network and SNY?  I would pay a premium to have YES.  OR, or at the very least, designate our area NOT in the home market, so we are not blacked out and can subscribe to MLB or Xtra Innings to watch Yankees games.

I have called MLB and they say that Comcast decides who's in the Home Market or not.  Funny thing is, we are in the "home market" and don't have a channel to watch the games.

WHY is it so hard to do this?  Am I missing something?

Problem Solver

Re: YES Network & SNY for Lycoming County PA!

MLB long ago determined broadcast rights territories for the teams, not the providers. There are many notable places where you should receive regional sports networks, but the providers have not come to an agreement. In PA, the hole with NBC Sports Philadelphia and satellite is the most documented of these, but others exist on cable in various areas.

Comcast is the one who has the ability to offer you YES and SNY in that market. For cost or bandwidth reasons, or both, they have chosen not to do so. In order to see Yankees or Mets games, you would need to switch to DirecTV, who offers these services in-market in your area.