Community Forum

The Weather Channel -- local forecast??!

Frequent Visitor

Re: The Weather Channel -- local forecast??!

To continue my previous response about your so-called explanation being nothing but BS, allow me to point out a fact that disputes your very explanation regarding an "upgrade" to your equipment:

WEATHERSCAN on channel 101 provides a mini weather report over and over all day - provided by both The Weather Channel and Xfinity as stated on the TV screen. THIS report is for MY LOCAL AREA. The main data reflects weather for Sellersville (where my nearest Comcast office is) and Souderton (just south of Sellersville). Both of these close-by towns USED to also be included on the ticker at the bottom of the screen on the Weather Channel. Weatherscan also provides a ticker with weather info for other close-by areas, the FIRST of which is MY TOWN, Quakertown. Of ALL the other towns noted in this ticker on Weatherscan - NONE OF THEM are ANY of the towns noted now as my "LOCAL" area on the Weather Channel. NONE. Why? They are NOT LOCAL.

So, question Comcast/Xfinity/Weather Channel tech people - if you can get Weatherscan to work properly and provide LOCAL weather - the only information we the public would want, WHY can't the Weather Channel work the same way??? Do you mean to tell me that's just too hard for you? Maybe you can get one of your interns to walk the data over to the Weather Channel office from Weatherscan - - or maybe, they're in the same office.......!!??

Regular Visitor

I've lived with the lack of local weather on the HD version of TWC ever since I signed up to get HD channels.  No big deal, I just used the analog version of TWC to get my local on the 8s.  Now, as of last week, the analog TWC is broadcasting the generic, national, region by region forecast that is valuable to no one.  I'll have to double check to see if the local forecast is available on the HD channel, but that's not only unlikely, it's unacceptable.  I still have other analog TVs hooked up with adapters rather than the expensive HD boxes.  What am I supposed to do for them?

Isn't the fact that "ComcastTeds" has been addressing local forecast issues for nearly 8 months just the least little bit embarrasing for Comcast?  Or, in typical Comcast fashion, are they just sticking their collective heads in the sand and denying that there is a problem?

Valued Contributor

As I have a tablet, I decided to use a weather app with minimal advertisement display; those with smartphones can do the same.

Works quite well as most/all(?) also have hourly forcasts; some have radar; think all have weekly forcasts as well as allow multiple selectible locations entered via the zipcode which would make it more accurate for a particular zipcode.

The accuracy of the various apps depends on where it finds or use the weather station located near the selected zipcode.  Don't need to turn on the tv to find the weather & can get the weather conditions at anytime quickly.

Anyway, the h*ll with the Weatherscan channel; this is another reason Comcast is losing TV subscribers as more of my neighbors are going Direct TV.  Some people just don't understand that the number of channels available is less important than the number of channels that one wants/use & watch; a case of "quality" over quantity.

Regular Visitor

I did check the HD flavor of TWC - no local 8s there, either.  As usual for Comcass:  fubar.

Frequent Visitor

I have tried both the HD and SD versions of the weather channel and there is still absolutely no difference, my "local weather" is for a town well over an hour away. It's pointless to watch the weather channel anymore unless, I suppose, if the entire regional area was expecting a large weather event, i.e. a snowstorm or a hurricaine. Plus I do not care for the format of this new weather show in the morning. 

I also find checking weather on my cellphone accurate and easy (I go to Accuweather), but it was always nice to turn on the tv in the morning while I drank my coffee and check the weather. I now just briefly check Weatherscan.

It still makes no sense to me how "improving" their system equated to worsening our weather coverage.

Regular Visitor

Checking the weather was always part of my morning ritual as well but, without the local, there's no point turning the TV on.

And I have to agree about the new morning show yak fest format.  If I really wanted to hear people yakking back and forth there's another 87 channels that offer the same drivel.

Frequent Visitor

In Burlington,NJ, we lost our true local forecast many months ago. Up until about a week ago, we had local weather from a town about 30 miles away (which was tolerable.) Now, all we get is the national, region by region forecast. This is on the SD channel. So TWC has become pretty much worthless here.
Regular Visitor

NO WEATHER CHANNEL FOR COMCAST'S CUSTOMERS ???

I started using cable service with TCI from their onset in the Denver market.

They had a weather channel devoted to our area 24/7/365.

When Comcast took over they had a weather channel 24/7/365

This summer the largest and richest cable provider in the world canceled the weather channel.

They offer a optional "on the 8s" channel that covers every subject but the rocky mountan area's

weather except for what ever the 8's is. I never seem to catch it.

Should we have a weather event that we could have made plans for with the channel 121's weather information

and suffer in some way from this lack of information, I suggest we hold Comcast accountable as a group.

Many older people do not have smart phones, laptops, note pads and their computor is still off and not working right

and they are hard of hearing.  The channel 45 weather shows at the bottom of the screen where their CC prints across.

COMCAST, PLEASE BRING BACK THE 24/7/365 WEATHER CHANNEL.

New Poster

I too am having this problem. I live in Winchester, VA and we have gotten Winchesters local weather for the last 20 yrs on the Weather Channel, now we get Martinsburg WV or Hancock MD.  This is not acceptable! Please bring back Winchesters local weather!

Regular Visitor

Much to my surprise, Comcass had seemed to have fixed the problem.  I suddenly started to get local forecasts again.  Then, a few days later, back to the national junk.  Than a couple of weeks later, locals again.  And so it's gone, I get locals for a few days, then it goes back to the nation wide view for a while.  You might think that, now that one of the Comc-azz-holes has found the switch, that they would just leave it alone, but no, they have to play with it:  on, off, on, off, on, off.  Apparently such simple things are enough to amuse the geniuses at Comcass.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

I finally moved into the HD world.  To my surprise and disappointment, Local On the 8's on the HD channel is national, not local.  If I want to see my local information, I have to go back to one of the lower TWC channels.  What's up with that?

New Poster

Yes I live In Walthourville Ga and I dont have my local forecast at all, it shows Dallas, New York and Altanta and I dont live in those places. It has been like this ever since the weather channel stopping working last week. There is no other way I can get my local weather. Please bring back my local forecast. It is like that at all my neighbors also.

Problem Solver

WeatherNation affiliates with broadcast stations. If you have a local broadcast station you might try contacting them.

Where I live the local ABC affiliate WAAY partnered with WeatherNation. WeatherNation is broadcast as a sub-channel on their OTA broadcasts. The WAAY/WeatherNation weather channel is also on Comcast channel 207. This channel gets its national weather information from WeatherNation and is local weather information from WAAY.

This is not as good as WeatherScan but it is an alternative to the Weather Channel.

Frequent Visitor

As of this evening, TWCHD is displaying Local On the 8's correctly.  Thank you, Comcast and/or TWC.

New Poster

I live in suburban Philadephia - might call this a pretty big metropolitan area -- since July we have been receiving LOCAL ON THE 8's for Wilmington, De/Elkton, Md. - almost an hour away, and often, quite a difference in the weather.

I have written The Weather Channel about this error.  WC quickly replied  it's a Comcast problem. I called Comcast. Comcast Tech support told me in July they'd investigate and get back to me - no one ever called back.

So now, 6 months later, I've contacted both again and received this reply from The Weather Channel personnel:

"Back in July Comcast did some re-zoning of their local weather servers for PA, NJ, MA, and DE. If the local area you see during LOT8's has not changed since then it is likely that will continue to see Wilmington from then on. "

I don't want to see Wilmington, De and Elkton, Md.  weather - I want to see Philadelphia, Pa.  weather.

After sending/receiving a series of further emails to/from The Weather Channel, I contacted Comcast 2 days ago -- 45 MINUTES INTO THE CALL , and multiple times on hold,the Comcast representative told me she was "still checking with someone."(first an associate, then another customer rep, then the Billing Dept.? - puts me on hold (AGAIN), and voila, I'm disconnected .... about 10 minutes later, a Comcast rep from the Sales Dept. in Wilmington, DE calls me, says I was referred to him,  and asks "What's Goin' On?"  Patiently, I tell him I live 5 miles outside of Philadelphia and explain the entire scenario to him, and he quickly says to me: "Mam, that's a Weather Channel problem -I'm sorry, but there's nothing we can do..." I politely say goodbye.I wrote the Weather Channel afterward and explained to them what happened and aked whom I should try and talk to at Comcast - they recommended I visit my local Comcast office.

I have just returned from the new, local Xfinity Office in Havertown, Pa. The Comcast rep who assisted me verified by turning on the Weather Channel on their large screen TV's that, in fact, people in Havetown, Pa. and Philadelphia are receiving the weather for Wilmington, De. and Elkton, Md. Once agin, he said there is nothing he can do.

Anyone with a real solution is encouraged to write.

Many thanks..........

Frequent Visitor

One thing for sure that I have learned after being a subscriber to comcast for several years is that you can RARELY if ever get ANYTHING solved by calling. And the comcast offices are only good for picking up products. This last writer here deserves free service for a year for the time and energy they put into to trying to figure out a problem for hours and hours with absolutely NO results. I have been told the same things: comcast says it's weather ch, weather ch says it's comast, that this is the price we pay for them "updating their equipment". As I've said previously here, it's all BS. And in response to the writer previous to the one previous, I am still without local weather on the weather channel for almost a year. You are lucky it changed, but from what I've read here, it is not permanent, so be prepared. I have found that "weatherscan", which for me is ch 101, provides quick and pretty good weather. If you are not-too-far from the Lehigh Valley, ch 249 has continuous weather 24/7. There is also an "app" on your tv for weather which you can set for whatever area you like - by zip code. As far as the weather ch goes per se, I am not fond of their morning chat fest so with the addition of non-local on-the-8's, I have adapted to other sources. I wish everyone luck! 

Frequent Visitor

p.s. it took 5 days from my last entry here for comcast to screw up ch 101. now IT ALSO IS NOT MY LOCAL WEATHER. yesterday at 11am weatherscan was working perfectly; by 8 pm i was getting non-local weather. a few months ago i e-mailed comcast and asked that if they can get weathescan right with local weather, why can't they get the local on the 8's right? i suggested they send an intern down the hall to make the correction. so now instead of getting local on the 8's corrected and working as well as weatherscan, they did THE OPPOSITE and now have weatherscan just as bad. are comcast employees trolling these forums to find out what needs to be corrected to then give us the opposite??

Frequent Visitor

It is now 2015.  No changes to reverse this has been done.  Everyone I talk to is dissappointed that we can no longer get a local weather forecast.  Today, Comcast has changed my local channel 101 Weatherscan channel to report this same no longer local weather.  I live in Souderton, Pa. and get Bensalem, Pa. weather which is 30 miles away and in another county.  FIX THIS OR I WILL GET EVERYONE TO LEAVE COMCAST.>>>>>>PLEASE.

New Poster

Up until about a week ago, we received Local on the 8's for Warrenton, VA and meaningful surrounding areas.  Now, we get Dale City, Quantico, etc. none of which have any value to us.  Please bring our "Local" weather channel. 

Frequent Visitor

"01-28-2015 08:32 PM

As of this evening, TWCHD is displaying Local On The 8's correctly.  Thank you, Comcast and/or TWC."

Well, my gratitude was short-lived.  As of yesterday, TWC on Comcast in Bloomington Indiana is again displaying "National on the 8's, and the banner is scrolling through major metropolitan area forecasts.  It feels like I'm watching TWC in a hotel room.  As long as this continues, I'm switching over to Imus in the Morning when Wake Up With Al is over.  The conversations are more interesting than AMHQ's patter.  There's no local weather there, either, but I might gain some useful financial information.

New Poster

when we had xfinity installed the weather channel would not show local weather only out of state, so i contacted comcast and their rep said it was not their problem contact weather channel, so after going thru settings on xfinity i found out if you turn off auto hd local weather will work in your area, just hit the red xfinity button scroll over to far right hit the button that looks like a wheel go to preferences hit ok select general drop down 1 line turn off auto hd and you have local weather

Frequent Visitor

My remote doesn't have a red Xfinity button.  I've looked through the various menus, and I found auto tune, but no auto HD. 

Frequent Visitor

Truth in advertising:  to be fair, I should say that I can get truly local Local on the 8's if I go to one of the non-HD TWC channels.  Aside from the Auto HD suggestion elsewhere, since TWCHD *did* display local weather for awhile, I have to conclude that either the national display reflects local service to be broken in HD, or a deliberate change has redefined local to be national, or something has modified the signal I'm receiving.  If it's broken, why hasn't it been fixed?  If it's deliberate, why not lose the "Local" label?  If something's changed how I receive the signal, what can I do to correct it so that I don't have to change channels?

Contributor

Our account does not have HD but for years we at least had local weather through The Weather Channel - I tried the red buttons on the remote with no success.  With all storms we have had this winter, and I do not mean to sound rude, why should I see western and Pacific region weather and almost nothing on the 8's for NH where we live? Once in while our 3 major city coverage returns and then disappears for days or a week.  We only view news and weather channels and use less than 97% of the channels included in our "package". We already use  an Apple TV for movie viewing, do we have to use it to see local weather weather forecast as well? If this is not a Comcast problem, should we get in touch with The Weather Channel?

Gold Problem Solver

fotog wrote: ... If this is not a Comcast problem, should we get in touch with The Weather Channel?

Since Comcast is one of the owners of The Weather Channel, I would complain to both.

Frequent Visitor

Mirabile dictu -- as of this morning, 2/15, TWCHD Local on the 8's is truly Local for Bloomington IN and vicinity.

@grover78 wrote:

Truth in advertising:  to be fair, I should say that I can get truly local Local on the 8's if I go to one of the non-HD TWC channels.  Aside from the Auto HD suggestion elsewhere, since TWCHD *did* display local weather for awhile, I have to conclude that either the national display reflects local service to be broken in HD, or a deliberate change has redefined local to be national, or something has modified the signal I'm receiving.  If it's broken, why hasn't it been fixed?  If it's deliberate, why not lose the "Local" label?  If something's changed how I receive the signal, what can I do to correct it so that I don't have to change channels?

Frequent Visitor

my local on the 8s should be vacaville ca now i get fairfields local on the 8s .our weather is not the same i want vacaville back.

Regular Visitor

i am having the same problem and i am in mi. called comcast they did not fix it

Regular Visitor

I have the same problem and i live milan mi.,comcast did not fix it,they only send refresh signal, same problem

New Poster

To anyone who is still having the problem of not getting their actual local weather on the weather channel...I switched to X1 Platform at the beginning of the year and had the same problem BUT my cable box was set to automatically redirect me to an HD channel whenever I selected a channel.  It is the weather channel in HD that is messed up.  If you go into settings and turn the feature OFF to stop it from automatically tuning to HD channels then when you select channel 27 (in the Fredericksburg VA area that is the weather channel) you will again get the weather with your local forcast on it again but it won't be in HD.  Hope this helps.  It certainly stopped my hubby from complaining.

Regular Visitor

I watch the Weather Channel quite often and about a week ago we lost our local forcast. 

I live near Columbiana, Ohio and we are now receiving the"local forcast" for Grove City, PA (60 miles away). 

Also, notice that the Weather Channel ticker at the bottom of the screen is a blurred mess.

Someone please hit the reset button...

New Poster

We're having the same issue with Comcast and The Weather Channel Local on the 8's in Warrenton, VA.  It seems to get corrected after some? time but it is starting to become more of a recurring problem here.  Comcast.......is it you or the TWC feed?

Official Employee

@runr109 wrote:

We're having the same issue with Comcast and The Weather Channel Local on the 8's in Warrenton, VA.  It seems to get corrected after some? time but it is starting to become more of a recurring problem here.  Comcast.......is it you or the TWC feed?

Apologies. The Weather Channel has recently pushed out a software release to all of the local Intellistar units that display the local forecasts.

During installation of this update, viewers may experience one or more of the following anomalies:

● Screen briefly locks and jitters
● Products in the Local on the 8s® segments start and end late or are missed (if this happens,
the National default forecast will display)
● Screen flashes to green/black, etc.
● Loss of transport stream output for about 1 minute during each reboot
● Loss of localization during the entire install

Are you still having an issue in Warrenton, VA? 

Additional overview of Intellistar can be found here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IntelliStar

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

I am having the same problem. I live in Rogers, OH used to get local for Columbiana Now it is moved to New Castle, PA. I want my local weather not weather from another State or area that is an hour or more away. I want my local weather. This is annoying.

New Poster

Same problem here in Flint Mi. as of 8-10-15 . Local on the 8's is no longer local.

Hope they fix this soon.

Official Employee
Moved: