Community Forum

The CW channel replaced by mistake?

Problem Solver

The CW channel replaced by mistake?

13 The CW SD

1013 The CW HD

On Wednesday March 6th when I went to watch my recordings of programs on  channel 1013 The CW I was perplexed to see that a different channel had been recorded. I checked both channel 13 and 1013 only to find that the Escape channel was being shown instead of The CW. I called Comcast Customer Service. The rep could not figure out why this was happening but escalated it up to a higher level. I was happy to see that it was resolved the next day with The CW returning to channels 13 and 1013.

A little checking showed that the Escape channel is being broadcast over the air on a subchannel of the local affiliate for Fox. I have not found any evidence where Comcast should have been carrying the Escape channel. Could this be a simple mistake at the headend where there was a simple mixup?

Silver Problem Solver

Re: The CW channel replaced by mistake?

The CW is a broadcast network carried by a local TV station. It's possible your local station either dropped it, or changed the subchannel it is carried on. Do you know what station carried it?

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

Pardon me for asking, but what is your ZIP Code?

In some cities, the CW channel is not its own station, but a subchannel on another network's station. For example, in Providence, RI, CW is carried on a subchannel of WNAC, which is Providence's Fox station.
What may have happened is, the station that has CW as a subchannel may have added Escape as well, and either the channel numbers got switched, or somebody at Comcast thought that the CW subchannel had been replaced with the Escape one.

Problem Solver

WHDF is in Florence, Alabama. WZDX is in Huntsville, Alabama. I live in Huntsville, Alabama.
Both channels are considered local to Huntsville, Alabama. Notice that WZDX simulcasts 15.1.
That is probably because of complaints that WHDF's broadcast of 15.1 is hard to get in Huntsville.

The CW on channels 13 and 1013 was only gone for a day. It could have a problem on WZDX's feed to Comcast's headend or the headend itself. In any case Escape should never been broadcast by Comcast because it is not even in their lineup.

WHDF

Channel

Video

Aspect

PSIP

Programming

1080i

16:9

WHDF-DT

Main WHDF programming / The CW

WZDX

Channel