Community Forum

The CW(WPIX) being removed from my channel lineup?

Frequent Visitor

The CW(WPIX) being removed from my channel lineup?

Was informed today via my cable bill that The CW(WPIX) is being removed from my channel lineup, anything I can do to continue to recieve The CW? I have many shows on The CW that I watch and don't want to miss them.

Silver Problem Solver

Re: The CW(WPIX) being removed from my channel lineup?

WPIX is involved in an issue with the Tribune sale to Nexstar. Something about it being sold to Scripps after Nexstar buys Tribune Media. Maybe they will be dropping their CW affiliation, or something to do with retransmission rights with the new owners.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WPIX

Here in the Chicago area, The CW will be moving from Fox-owned WPWR to WCIU this fall.

Frequent Visitor

I'm not from the Chicago area, I'm from Central PA, so no clue what will happen to the CW in my area.

Official Employee

Hi, Shafe88! Thank you for posting in our community! Was the CW channel completely removed in your area or just from your channel lineup? Does it say that it was moved to a higher package? 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

I don't know if The CW is being removed from my channel lineup, all's I know is WPIX will no longer be carried in my service area after June, WPIX is the local affiliate that carries The CW in my area. One costumer service person I talked too said I will no longer get The CW after WPIX is gone from my area while another person I talked too said I'll still get The CW, it'll just be from a different affiliate.
Regular Contributor

Question: what is your ZIP code? I see on the CW site that, for example, Allentown is "in range" of two CW stations - WPIX 11 New York, and WPSG 57 Philadelphia. Wikipedia lists five CW stations in Pennsylvania (Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Erie, Harrisburg, and Scranton), although Erie and Harrisburg appear to be subchannels to CBS affiliates. (Be glad you don't have AT&T U-Verse; there was a time - and it may still be the case - where U-Verse refused to air CW stations that were on subchannels; the only subchannels it would carry would be for the "big four" networks.) Of course, this assumes Comcast has its act together and, when WPIX is removed, it realizes you won't have a CW station and it will add another CW station is added in its place.
Official Employee

@Shafe88 wrote:

Was informed today via my cable bill that The CW(WPIX) is being removed from my channel lineup, anything I can do to continue to recieve The CW? I have many shows on The CW that I watch and don't want to miss them.

For the Johnstown-Altoona-State College television market in PA: On or shortly after June 26th, WPIX (CW) will no longer be available. 

There currently is no broadcast TV station in your area that has affiliated with the CW Network.   

The closest CW station to you is WHP-DT2  from Harrisburg,  PA (over 87 miles away) but that station is assigned to the Harrisburg-Lancaster-Lebanon-York TV market.

WPCW-TV from Jeanette, PA (over 120 miles away) is also a CW station, but assigned to the Pittsburgh television market.   https://cwpittsburgh.cbslocal.com/

Comcast does not currently have permission to import WPCW or WHP as  distant signals in this area. 

One option may be to view CW programs online at their website: https://www.cwtv.com/shows/more-video/view-in-app/

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Highlighted
Problem Solver

Ted, I have a little background information here that might be helpful to explain this situation.

WPCW for many years was licensed as a station to Johnstown, and served as a CBS station for that market. At one point, Altoona/State College was a television market, and Johnstown was a separate television market. This was the case until the early 1980's when they were merged and it was decided WTAJ would serve the entire unified market. At that time, no ABC station existed and Johnstown got WTAE from Pittsburgh, Altoona got WHTM from Harrisburg, and State College got WNEP from Scranton.

One of the agreements with the FCC was that in order to move the station to the Pittsburgh DMA, they still had to provide antenna range to the Altoona/Johnstown/State College market. The western areas of this market that Comcast serves carries WPCW from Pittsburgh as the de facto CW affiliate (as well as WPNT as a de facto MyTV affiliate, even though WHVL exists in State College). The eastern areas (State College, Philipsburg, Huntingdon systems) carried WPIX from New York. This is what is being removed, which is really a holdover from the old superstation days.

Frequent Visitor

OK, it's June 26th and The CW is still on the air, not as WPIX but as WPCW.  With the switch to WPCW, The CW is finally avliable in HD.

Regular Visitor

However, what about some Yankees and Mets games on WPIX which were broadcast on the New York affiliate of CW in areas such as South Jersey? It seems the games are now out of reach. I go back to the Phillies on 7 (17) l, Yankees on 11 (11Alive) and Mets on WOR 9.
Regular Visitor

I’m in the south jersey area near the shore 08042. What about the Yankees, Mets and the NY 10:00 News ?
Official Employee

@Baseball76 wrote:
However, what about some Yankees and Mets games on WPIX which were broadcast on the New York affiliate of CW in areas such as South Jersey? It seems the games are now out of reach. I go back to the Phillies on 7 (17) l, Yankees on 11 (11Alive) and Mets on WOR 9.

Unfortunately, the remaining nine NY Yankees games and 13 NY Mets games scheduled on WPIX won't be available from WPIX in your area from Comcast.

Some or all of these games may be available via MLB Network, available in your area on channel 738 and in HD on channel 1219. 

https://www.mlb.com/yankees/schedule/2019-07

All New York Mets games broadcast on WPIX will be streamed on PIX11.com and in the PIX11 app.

Official Employee

@Baseball76 wrote:
I’m in the south jersey area near the shore 08042. What about the Yankees, Mets and the NY 10:00 News ?

Apologies, some answers above on the baseball.

All of Gloucester County, NJ is considered part of the Philadelphia television market (DMA). 

The New York city based TV stations (including WPIX) are considered "out-of- market" in your area by the FCC and Nielsen Media Research who determine the in-market and out-of-market TV stations for the United States.

The primary CW affiliate assigned to your area is WPSG-TV from Philadelphia.  If there is duplicate programming from out-of-market WPIX-TV, then WPSG has the right to request that that duplicate programming be blacked out or the station removed in your area. 

By law, Comcast must honor the request from the in-market station.

The terms "DMA", "out of market", "significantly viewed" and "network non-duplication" all have extensive definitions and examples, some links below that will make for some good reading:

DMA: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Designated_market_area

Out of market and Significantly Viewed: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Significantly_viewed_out_of_market_TV_stations_in_the_United_States

Network non-duplication http://law.justia.com/cfr/title47/47-4.0.1.1.4.6.3.1.html

New Poster

Subscribe to MLB.TV ... you get all the games except for those out of Philadelphia as they are blacked out.  For these put on the Comcast PHILLIES feed, mute the sound, and play the radio feed out of New York on your phone or tablet on the MLB.TV app; radio is not blacked out. You have to fiddle with the Comcast TV remote control to get the two in synch. In the end, it's worth the effort.

New Poster

what happened tp wpix 11 from n y

• hello I recently lost wpix 11 from my channel line up. I am asking that this channel be restored it provides n y yankees games good programming and accurate news
Official Employee

Re: what happened tp wpix 11 from n y

@lsgt026 wrote:
  • hello I recently lost wpix 11 from my channel line up. I am asking that this channel be restored it provides n y yankees games good programming and accurate news

Apologies. Some answers above and below. 

Unfortunately, the remaining nine NY Yankees games and 13 NY Mets games scheduled on WPIX won't be available from WPIX in your area from Comcast. 

Some or all of these games may be available via MLB Network, available in your area on channel 738 and in HD on channel 1219. 

https://www.mlb.com/yankees/schedule/2019-07

All New York Mets games broadcast on WPIX will be streamed on PIX11.com and in the PIX11 app.

New Poster

And yet my bill stayed the same even tho I lost channels
Official Employee

@lsgt026 wrote:
And yet my bill stayed the same even tho I lost channels

WCCT-TV from Waterbury, CT is the CW affiliate assigned to your area and is available on channel 7 and in HD on channel 1020. 

Channels and programming are subject to change due to many reasons. The Comcast programming teams and local management teams constantly evaluate programming choices and make decisions based on customer interests, costs, channel bandwidth management and contractual and legal obligations.

The Comcast employees who participate in these forums certainly pass along your collective feedback, interests and concerns to those teams. All channels, regardless of affiliation, are required to go through the same application and approval process in order to be carried by Comcast.

As with any business, situations may change based on customer demand, channel bandwidth opportunities, business opportunities, costs and legal/contractual obligations.

Additional channels have been added in your area as per your most recent cable statement (below): 

Xfinity TV Update: Effective July 11, 2019, Fox Deportes ch 1230, SEC
Overflow HD ch 1322 and Pac 12 HD ch 1329 will be added.  HD channels require Xfinity X1 or
compatible customer owned device and Xfinity Internet.

Frequent Visitor

I tried streaming the Mets game on PIX11.com and the PIX11 app. For what I pay monthly for cable and internet, this should not be an issue. There is no reason that a wealthy, powerful cable provider like Comcast is not able to work out an agreement with PIX11 to be carried in Mercer County. There are many New York transplants and New York commuters who live in Mercer County and want to see New York news and New York baseball.
Official Employee

@Siegel9 wrote:
I tried streaming the Mets game on PIX11.com and the PIX11 app. For what I pay monthly for cable and internet, this should not be an issue. There is no reason that a wealthy, powerful cable provider like Comcast is not able to work out an agreement with PIX11 to be carried in Mercer County. There are many New York transplants and New York commuters who live in Mercer County and want to see New York news and New York baseball.

Apologies. Televison stations have Designated Market Area's (DMA) assigned to them.

Mercer County, NJ  is assigned to the Philadelphia television market. 

The New York city based TV stations (including WPIX) are considered "out-of- market" in your area by the FCC and Nielsen Media Research who determine the in-market and out-of-market TV stations for the United States.

The primary CW affiliate assigned to your area is WPSG-TV from Philadelphia. If there is duplicate programming from out-of-market WPIX-TV, then WPSG has the right to request that that duplicate programming be blacked out or the station removed in your area.

The terms "DMA", "out of market", "significantly viewed" and "network non-duplication" all have extensive definitions and examples, some links below that will make for some good reading:

Out of market and Significantly Viewed: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Significantly_viewed_out_of_market_TV_stations_in_the_United_States

Network non-duplication http://law.justia.com/cfr/title47/47-4.0.1.1.4.6.3.1.html

NYC stations WNYW and WABC are still offered in your area they meet the requirements as "significantly viewed" in Mercer County.  Both of these stations carry NYC based-news.  The overwhelming majority of NY Mets games can still be found on SportsNet NY on channel 73 in your area (ch. 1253 in HD).  

Frequent Visitor

It should be noted that Altice/Optimum and Verizon FiOS Still Carry WPIX in the communities they cover in Mercer County so this does not look like a Situation where WPSG/CBS Television stations requested WPIX be removed.
New Poster

Ok... So then why, in Mercer County, do I still have EVERY OTHER NYC NETWORK CHANNELS EXCEPT FOR WPIX??

We are OBVIOUSLY IN THE NYC MARKET.... What is the REAL REASON?

SMDH

JK
Official Employee

@PhillyGuyJohn wrote:
Ok... So then why, in Mercer County, do I still have EVERY OTHER NYC NETWORK CHANNELS EXCEPT FOR WPIX??

We are OBVIOUSLY IN THE NYC MARKET.... What is the REAL REASON?

SMDH

JK

Apologies. Televison stations have Designated Market Area's (DMA) assigned to them.

Mercer County, NJ is assigned to the Philadelphia television market.

The New York city based TV stations (including WPIX) are considered "out-of- market" in your area by the FCC and Nielsen Media Research who determine the in-market and out-of-market TV stations for the United States.

The primary CW affiliate assigned to your area is WPSG-TV from Philadelphia. If there is duplicate programming from out-of-market WPIX-TV, then WPSG has the right to request that that duplicate programming be blacked out or the station removed in your area.

NYC stations WNYW and WABC are still offered in your area they meet the requirements as "significantly viewed" in Mercer County. Both of these stations carry NYC based-news. The overwhelming majority of NY Mets games can still be found on SportsNet NY on channel 73 in your area (ch. 1253 in HD).

Frequent Visitor

This does not seem to have anything to do with WPSG/ CBS television stations requesting WPIX be removed Because Altice Optimum and Verizon FiOS still carry WPIX in Mercer County ( out of Official market) . It seems to be more of a official directive by Comcast to remove tribute TV stations WPIX and WPHL out of their official markets even if there are bordering areas and may have something to do with the stations pending sales in two different companies. WPIX (E. W. Scripps Company) and WPHL (Nexstar Media Group)
New Poster

Why is it gone from my zip 08560.  We have always had both NY and Philadelphia  stations

Frequent Visitor

Because 08560 is technically the Philadelphia DMA market. Why Comcast had to remove WPIX when Altice Optimum and Verizon FiOS didn’t remove WPIX for the Neighboring Mercer County communities in The case of Optimum And the same Mercer county communities in the case of FiOS is the big question?
Frequent Visitor

All I know is I’ve heard varying answers from Comcast:

-The owners of WPIX did not want to renew their agreement with Comcast.

-The CW station in Philly objected to the NY CW being played in the Philly market

-WPIX was not “significantly viewed” enough out of market to be carried.

I also heard from another source that WPIX is for sale and that has affected their agreement with Comcast.

Anyhow, there are multiple possible answers and I’m not sure which one is the truth at this point.
Frequent Visitor

At the same time Comcast Xfinity removed WPIX in the Philadelphia DMA Comcast boss are removed WPIX’s Philadelphia Tribune sister station WPHL 17 ( Still runs some of Fox’s my network TV at times) is removed from New York DMA cable systems in Ocean, Middlesex (Where I live) and Hunterdon Countys. Tribune is being sold Nexstar Media Group and Nextstar is then reselling WPIX to The E. W. Scripps Company And keeping WPHL.
New Poster

Wpix and other channels are removed from our channel line up and we are left with nothing. Comcast is no longer taking care of their long time customers. We have been paying for years and this is what we get!!