Community Forum

Starz leaving Premiere packages?

Frequent Visitor

Starz

When should I expect my monthly bill to decrease once Xfinity removes STARZ? 

HITZ is not a replacement for Cinemax and EPIC is not a replacement for STARZ.  It appears Xfinity wants to have everyone purchase STARZ for another $12.99 a month.  I already pay too much. 

Xfinity needs to live up to their contract with the consumer and stop deleting stations.  I would not have upgraded my package if STARZ  was not part of the package.   

Keep STARZ!

Does management ever address customer's concerns?

Contributor

Re: Starz

I got an email telling me Epix is now included with my XF TV package on 12/12 and how GREAT this is for me ? ? Like I said on 12/11 it's amazing that a company like CC spends thousands of $'s each month to attract customers and then pull's this stupid stunt of providing me less for my monthly dollars. I too will NOT upgrade ..........

Regular Contributor
Contributor

I can see why Comcast wants to close down the ways to provide discounts to keep customers but you'd think they would understand that many folks will walk away.  l'v thought of going back to at&t but I don't want the hassle that entails. We now go straight to Netflix/Amazon Prime and now Apple TV+ rather than the xfinity library. 

I can't be alone in that mindset. I know cost keep going up, but there is a tipping point and as technically savvy folks age their options will keep growing. Cord cutting isn't so unthinkable to me as it was just a year or two ago.

Contributor

Precisely.  That is how Japanese cars killed American cars.  In the long run Comcast will be proven to be very short sighted.

Contributor

If you follow the trends...  Comcast seems to be most interested in  internet customers..  The TV business with all the junk fees as well as fees the networks want to carry the feeds is not that profitable anymore...   The internet business is almost pure profit..   

I looked into my package with all these changes but for now it's cheaper to stay put..    I have a locked in price foranother year or so since I got the Home Service ( saved me money over what I had) which keeps the discounts going.  But based on that link above, it looks like the old retaining scheme will no longer work...  If you want to leave TV... go ahead...    Just be prepared to pay more for Internet or may exceed internet limits by going all streaming..  In families, that certainly is a possibility..

D

@Gig8 wrote:

Precisely.  That is how Japanese cars killed American cars.  In the long run Comcast will be proven to be very short sighted.

Frequent Visitor

Will Comcast survive Starz Wars?

It appears that Comcast is leveraging their vast subcriber base against Liongate's uncertainty of what to do with STARZ.

The customers have weighed in on phase 1 of Comcast's battle plan and agree that MGM's EPIX/StreamPix content is no equal replacement. Any further loss of STARZ content can only further embitter customers.

Comcast started this war in 2016.  They survived that "no-STARZ streaming app" battle.

In light of the dissatifaction with moving TCM to a premium subscription, does Comcast believe that it can survive without Starz after December 31st?

Regular Contributor

Re: Starz leaving Premiere packages?

Apparently STARZ will be gone as of December 31 and we're supposed to be OK with that because they're adding EPIX. I have zero interest in anything on Epix and I watch STARZ.

Can I get my monthly charge reduced since I'm now going to have to pay another monthly charge in order to stream STARZ?

I don't think it's to Comcast's  benefit  to get people used to streaming channels.

Contributor

Hello, I believe that I am not alone in just either wanting what I was contracted for or a price reduction for what I am not receiving and must buy somewhere else. I as a customer should not be forced to abide by a contract if the other party doesn't have to. I understand that when there is no competition you can do whatever you can get away with or whatever the so called "regulators" allow but at some point when I/we  can receive fiber or high speed without a cable company where will they be. Does anyone remember when Blockbuster ruled the home movie rental business where are they now?  Someone in Upper management should look at the numbers generated by the customers that you are literally willing to throw away for a quick buck. I am not a irate customer as some might think I just would like someone to understand what we are upset about.

New Poster

please keep STARZ.  i would be willing to pay a little for the shows i love to watch. settle this dispute now or i will be forced to drop comcast which i pay a hefty sum for

Frequent Visitor

You may be better off going through your state's atty general.

Frequent Visitor

I called in and was told you can keep STARZ for $5 a month

Contributor

I signed up for Starz through Amazon Video for a $1 through March..  I will evaluate after that..   Obviously, we still have the main Starz available but all others are gone..  Through Amazon, you can watch On Demand or watch whatever the various channels are showing.

In Mid March, the price goes up so will evaluate if what Comcast offers for the channel works..      Meanwhile, Starz is available on the far more flexible Prime Video offering that is available on ROKU and many other smart devices where as the Xfinity is only available on computers and tablets and phones to watch..   Funny thing is  if I end up keeping Starz through Prime Video, I can still access it on my X1 boxes thorugh the Prime Video access...

Regular Contributor

@Doug-H wrote:

I signed up for Starz through Amazon Video for a $1 through March..  I will evaluate after that..   Obviously, we still have the main Starz available but all others are gone..  Through Amazon, you can watch On Demand or watch whatever the various channels are showing.

In Mid March, the price goes up so will evaluate if what Comcast offers for the channel works..      Meanwhile, Starz is available on the far more flexible Prime Video offering that is available on ROKU and many other smart devices where as the Xfinity is only available on computers and tablets and phones to watch..   Funny thing is  if I end up keeping Starz through Prime Video, I can still access it on my X1 boxes thorugh the Prime Video access...

From what I've read, we will NOT have the main STARZ available after December 31.

Contributor

Hi, I haven't looked into what it will cost me to replace what I had. I would just like a price reduction to offset that cost as it was part of my "package" Comcast is "free" to do what they want but they need to think about the "goodwill" that they are losing by making poor business moves like this and the others that are "upcoming" Be fair and most of us can live with it I think.

Regular Visitor

Comcast and Starz Reach carriage agreement. BUT, there is a catch!

Variety posted this morning that there is an agreement between Startz and Comcast. But only until eary February 2020 when Power ends and then Starz will only be offered as a streaming service. Starz, as Cinemax and TCM, will of course; still be offered al a carte! But, that was to be expected so that Comcast can continue to "grub more $$$" from our pockets.

I just wonder what will be next to be dropped? Comcast will probably run one of their "infamous polls" that nobody seems to be able to find the details of, that there is no one is watching the channel(s). 2020 could be a real negative year for subscribers of Xfinity for losing more and more channels and getting no relief with the cost of the service(s).

Contributor

Well... I will have all Starz channels after Dec 31 through Prime for now..   I have seen elsewhere that they are offering it for $5 to some who call but as I said, let's see what it'll be..

New Poster

Re: Comcast and Starz Reach carriage agreement. BUT, there is a catch?

Prior to this agreement, Comcast mentioned Starz being available a la carte for $12/month (like Cinemax is). While I'm not necessarily opposed to a la carte options, I don't get why Comcast is charging a higher price than just about everybody else. Cinemax is a couple dollars cheaper with both Apple TV's and Amazon Prime Video's a la carte channel options, with way more streaming options than you get with Comcast content (which is limited to X1 cable boxes, and the handful of people who the beta Stream TV app on Roku/Samsung). 

Maybe this deal changes things up a bit but prior to this deal, Comcast mentioned Starz a la carte would also be $12 a month. With Starz, that even makes less sense since you can just get access directly through the Starz app for $9 a month with streaming access on pretty much every major streaming device and smart TV.

I'm not really sure why on earth anybody would pay Comcast $12 a month for access to Starz.

Regular Contributor

@Doug-H wrote:

Well... I will have all Starz channels after Dec 31 through Prime for now..   I have seen elsewhere that they are offering it for $5 to some who call but as I said, let's see what it'll be..

From what I understand, the five dollars a month is only for a short period of time, then it goes back up to its regular price.

For awhile, they were offering a $.99 a month deal, but that deal is gone now.

If you like STARZ, I WOULD keep my eyes out for deals like these because STARZ knows as well as we do that Comcast customers will be going into shock after December 31.  Think of all the people who are not posting here who don't know it's happening yet.

I expect to see a huge uptick in comments here on January 1 or 2, whenever people start noticing the channel is gone.

Regular Contributor

@john991 wrote:

Hi, I haven't looked into what it will cost me to replace what I had. I would just like a price reduction to offset that cost as it was part of my "package" Comcast is "free" to do what they want but they need to think about the "goodwill" that they are losing by making poor business moves like this and the others that are "upcoming" Be fair and most of us can live with it I think.

I would love a price reduction, but I don't believe we would ever get such a thing. They gave us Epix, a station I have no interest in, and that's supposed to be good enough.

New Poster

Programming

I just read that Comcast has reached a new agreement with Starz. It says that Starz will eventually be removed from Comcast's premium package and become a subscription service for subscribers. This follows the removal of Cinemax from the premium package and the attempt to convince subscribers that the program poor Epix is an adequate substitute for Starz. As an avid soccer fan, there was a time that I got most European leagues as part of the sports package. Now I have to subscribe to NBC sports gold for the Premier League, Sling TV for La Liga (after Comcast eliminated BeinSport) and ESPN+ for Serie A. Now is seems that Comcast entertainment is going the same route:  a high price for the Premium package with degraded service. At what point do long-term Comcast customers such as I have no choice but to "cut the cord," something I have always been loathe to do?

Contributor

Re: Programming

As has  been pointed out, with Starz leaving the cable side and being strictly a streaming option for X1 customers, no need to subscribe   on Comcast if you want it but get it on Amazon Video which as you pointed out is available in lots of forms including through X1 boxes..  The main advantage of accessing Prime and Netflix thorugh X1 is it appears they are in 4K so they say....  My ROKU gets everything else very easily..    The X1 access is included in Ways to Watch for programming..  

I was informed that Comcast will be adding HULU to its integrated offerings soon on X1...  

So the reality for all of this hoopla is we have new services available that are cheaper alternatives to what they replaced for Comcast....  Some services like Starz will soon be strictly a streaming service it appears..  Not sure about  how they'll work on other cable services...    Yeh it is gong to cost a little more in the end but in this new world of cable and streaming, it is something people will need to figure out somehow...

Contributor

Re: Programming

Hi, I have to comment on the posts that talk about what Comcast is doing, they are creating an issue that you would think would not be in the best interest of the company and that is the mass exodus to cord cutting, If everything is going to be streaming why do we need any one company except for internet (is that the goal) As far as the X1 box and 4k I have a friend who has a television and the signal doesn't look all that much better with the box as opposed to "direct" through the tv app. The nickle and dime way of taking money is a poor way of treating "loyal" customers but all have a similar method. Trying to make us need the X1 box to receive streaming services is not helpful when I didn't need them before to get what I paid for the only advantage I see is that my wife only needs 7 remotes instead of 12 (haha).

Frequent Visitor

I have talked to three reps over the past couple of weeks. The first was at an Xfinity store and was quoted $2 a month, I didn’t have time then, so-called the next day and was quoted $5, waited and called yesterday ad was quoted $12.95.
Contributor

I would comment on the typical left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing but "a three handed" person. This is what one of the biggest issues when you never get to speak to the same person every time and it is not just Comcast. The biggest waste of time in dealing is having to ask if everything from the previous encounter was documented (usually not) and starting over again with the issue and hoping that the person understands what you are saying in regards to hope to resove it, billing, technical or just an issue you might not understand. I have to say that lately when I have been disconnected the person calls back as opposed to the past when you get disconnected and have to go through the whole automated system again and if you use the online system they will call you if you can get online (if that isn't the issue). As I have posted  before as a business they are not any different it is the whole problem of the way it is being handled drop the customers from the package as the promotion ends not in the middle of it.

Regular Contributor

@john991 wrote:

I would comment on the typical left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing but "a three handed" person. This is what one of the biggest issues when you never get to speak to the same person every time and it is not just Comcast. The biggest waste of time in dealing is having to ask if everything from the previous encounter was documented (usually not) and starting over again with the issue and hoping that the person understands what you are saying in regards to hope to resove it, billing, technical or just an issue you might not understand. I have to say that lately when I have been disconnected the person calls back as opposed to the past when you get disconnected and have to go through the whole automated system again and if you use the online system they will call you if you can get online (if that isn't the issue). As I have posted  before as a business they are not any different it is the whole problem of the way it is being handled drop the customers from the package as the promotion ends not in the middle of it.

@john991 ... I agree with your last sentence.

Regular Contributor

How do they drop people's access to STARZ as their promotions end? Everyone's promotion ends on different dates in different years. Mine ends March 2021.  

At a specified date (December 31 I assume) Comcast won't be offering STARZ anymore. Period.  It won't be part of any package because the contract between STARZ and Comcast will be over.

That's my understanding.

Regular Contributor

@JodieNJ wrote:

How do they drop people's access to STARZ as their promotions end? Everyone's promotion ends on different dates in different years. Mine ends March 2021.  

At a specified date (December 31 I assume) Comcast won't be offering STARZ anymore. Period.  It won't be part of any package because the contract between STARZ and Comcast will be over.

That's my understanding.

I recently signed up for a new contract in the Chicago area which effective Dec. 18 offered various premium movie channels packages. I did the 3 for $30 and Starz was included in my choices-which I took. This was coupled with a preferred channel lineup.  They don't offer Premier anymore. Since this was brand new pricing, I can't imagine they would let me have Starz if they were going to take it away in 11 days.

Regular Contributor

I think they just signed a new contract with Starz.  Not sure how it will affect people with packages or if they are still going to make us pay extra, but I saw it on the news the other night

Regular Contributor

I hear what you’re saying, but if I understand what’s happening between Comcast and STARZ, there will be nothing of STARZ that Comcast will have available for you or anyone.

I could be wrong. We’ll see.

(And if you get to keep your STARZ because you just got a new promotion and I don’t get to keep my STARZ because I had a two year promotion and have another year and a half to go, that would be very unfair. You can’t pick one person’s promotion and say, “you get to keep it“ and tell the other person, “your promotion is no good.” Right?

Their solution was to get us all Epix instead. Yuck.

This isn’t the first time Comcast has done something like this. About two years ago, we all lost access to the STARZ standalone app which we used to be able to sign into with your Comcast ID. There were like 50 other cable services you could sign in with, but Comcast, one day, was gone from the list.
Regular Contributor

But it is crazy that you just signed up to get STARZ on December 18 and they’ve been talking for months now about the fact they’re probably going to get rid of it, probably on December 31, and they’ve already dropped SOME of the STARZ channels.

I admit that doesn’t make any sense.
Regular Contributor

@JodieNJ ... this link from 48 hours ago might help clear up a few things:

https://nypost.com/2019/12/23/starz-to-exit-comcasts-premium-cable-bundle-after-power-finale/

Regular Contributor

Not cleared up for me. Is the article saying that the people who have STARZ as part of a package already will now be expected to pay five dollars extra a month to keep it?

That's not right.

Regular Contributor

@JodieNJ wrote:

Not cleared up for me. Is the article saying that the people who have STARZ as part of a package already will now be expected to pay five dollars extra a month to keep it?

That's not right.

Yup ... An extra amount yet to be determined ... exactly as written.  Fair or Right? The article also points to other links explaining that the DOJ and some Washington DC politicians have already been looking into the situation, which may explain why the original drop-dates have been pushed back a little bit into February.

New Poster

I’m on a promotion that runs through summer 2021 and I’ve been getting letters saying STARZ will be removed from our package for months now.

So I’m assuming after the Power finale, STARZ, both the channels and on demand, will be unavailable for those of us with a package deal no matter the start date.

Regular Contributor

@tx83 wrote:
I’m on a promotion that runs through summer 2021 and I’ve been getting letters saying STARZ will be removed from our package for months now.

So I’m assuming after the Power finale, STARZ, both the channels and on demand, will be unavailable for those of us with a package deal no matter the start date.

Yup .... Just like me.

Contributor

Hi, what I mean about dropping the channel as the promotion ends would be no different than if any other promotion ends and the "package/promo" It may be more work for the company but less for the now happier customer.

Regular Contributor

I don’t believe people with packages will be able to keep STARZ. I don’t know if you realize it, but at some point, they removed Cinemax from people’s package. It was part of mine, and if I go to a Cinemax channel now, I get a message saying that it requires a subscription in order to be able to watch it. Even though, until they decided to remove it, it WAS a part of my package.

One day I had it, the next day it was gone.
Regular Contributor

“Comcast premium subscribers began seeing Cinemax dropped from their lineup this morning, replaced with Comcast's own premium movie network Hitz. The cable company announced back in May it was replacing AT&T/WarnerMedia-owned Cinemax with its own movie channel beginning this summer. Summer has arrived. “
Jul 17, 2019
Regular Contributor

@JodieNJ wrote:
I don’t believe people with packages will be able to keep STARZ. I don’t know if you realize it, but at some point, they removed Cinemax from people’s package. It was part of mine, and if I go to a Cinemax channel now, I get a message saying that it requires a subscription in order to be able to watch it. Even though, until they decided to remove it, it WAS a part of my package.

One day I had it, the next day it was gone.

This Starz thing is just an old re-run from last Summer's similar loss of Cinemax from our Premium Packages ..... At that time, there were many postings about that sad incident.  I'll bet there is more sadness to come as the inevitable competition from the Streaming Wars heats up in the coming New Year.

Here you go:

https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Channels-and-Programming/Hitz-replacing-Cinemax-Really/td-p/3234070

Regular Contributor

As a further note of fairness, most all cable and satellite TV providers also annouced higher rates for 2020 over this Holiday Season .... so Comcast is in similar company, as much as it pains me to admit.

It's partly due to the Streaming Wars marching foward with newer lower-cost alternative streaming technology, plus many of the content creators/actors/providers also jumping on the gravy-train bandwagon by getting smarter/tougher agents and negoitators.  Thus the legacy content pipelines which deliver our shows (traditional cable and satellite) are getting squeezed.

It reminds me of our addiction to cheaper "made overseas" items which flooded our markets over the last 10 to 15 years.  As to the ultimate end-game?  Your guess is as good as mine.

Regular Contributor

I spoke with someone from billing who told me the decision to remove Starz from packages has been pushed back until February 28th. If it’s removed from packages it’ll be $8.99 a month extra. Other channels were added to replace the Starz channels.
Regular Contributor

But why should we pay $8.99 extra when we signed up for a package for one or two years that we cannot leave without paying the money, a package that includes STARZ?
Regular Contributor

@JodieNJ wrote:
But why should we pay $8.99 extra when we signed up for a package for one or two years that we cannot leave without paying the money, a package that includes STARZ?

I once thought I saw something (either here on the Forum, or on one of my Bills, or in the 24-Month Agreement) that states customers have 30 days from any changes made by Comcast to cancel their account without penalty, although I may wrong.  Maybe someone here on the Forum can refresh my memory?

Contributor

I think it used to be that way.  Within 30 days of channel lineup changes you could cancel.

I'm looking at my current contract, and came across this line: 

"Comcast
may rearrange,
delete,
add to or otherwise
change
programming
or features
or offerings
contained
in its Services."

This seems like a pretty shady thing to include, as Comcast could just delete all premium programming and replace it with garbage, like they have with Cinemax and Starz.  
I would still push this angle with the CS rep when you speak with them, it is a breach of contract.

New Poster

Comcast knows they have a monopoly on it that’s why they charge you expensive prices for channels you don’t watch but they know they have a monopoly that’s why the government needs to get involved for some regulations
Regular Contributor

Comcast is not a monopoly where I live. There are many other options, including satellite, FiOS, and streaming.
Contributor

Comcast is hardlyI a monopoly anymore...    Lots of TV choices now viable..  AT&T pulled fiber in my neighborhood and offers its service... DTV and Dish are still out there..  Plus all of the streaming only options available today... 

Still got Starz but will probably switch to getting it on Amazon after it's gone from Comcast..  

Regular Contributor

Give us back the STARZ app

Since you have removed all but the main STARZ channel on TV (and most of the the Encore channels), please give us back the STARZ app so that we can watch the programming on other devices, like Roku and Apple TV, which have superior controls, display in 1080, and include the whole library instead of the limited one on Comcast's On Demand. We have been paying to use this app for years, and you have denied us. Now, we still pay the same price (I pay a la carte) for STARZ, so we deserve to have the full service that the app provides. One reason I kept STARZ is because I like scrolling through the channel guide to choose a show to watch live. The more you take that away, the more likely I, and others, will drop STARZ via Comcast and pay less for better service by subscribing directly.

New Poster

I refuse to shell out $10 for TCM when Xfinity had to be negotiating with Lionsgate about Starz. I will do without Starz and Epix. The TCM move really upset me because I don’t watch NFL nor NBA.