Community Forum

Science Channel program guide

Silver Problem Solver

Science Channel program guide

The past few months, the program guide for Science channel has been horrible. It often does not update to actual episode info until the same day, if even then. Yesterday (2/6), there was supposed to be 3 hours of "Mythbusters Jr.", but the guide only listed two hours (as a single block), plus some other show about sinkholes. And worse, both just had generic descriptions, not specific info. Even more worse, that sinkhole show doesn't start until NEXT week.

I have been seeing these issues with MBjr for a few weeks. Their own online guide is up to date days before, but Comcast (or more likely Gracenote) is way out-of-date.

Silver Problem Solver

Re: Science Channel program guide

And today (2/8) shows how horrible it has gotten. My legacy box is showing 8 or so attempted recordings (I had to cancel each one) of "Mysteries of the Abandoned" because they have generic description and no "new/repeat" flag, which causes it to assume it's new and do a recording.

Last week it did that too, but with no warning. I left for the evening with NO recordings scheduled, and came home with it in the middle of recording the episodes.

Problem Solver

@andyross wrote:

And today (2/8) shows how horrible it has gotten. My legacy box is showing 8 or so attempted recordings (I had to cancel each one) of "Mysteries of the Abandoned" because they have generic description and no "new/repeat" flag, which causes it to assume it's new and do a recording.

Last week it did that too, but with no warning. I left for the evening with NO recordings scheduled, and came home with it in the middle of recording the episodes.

It's not just those channels for me. Every week I have to delete at least half the scheduled programs because the DVR thinks they are new when they are not. I have to be careful because sometimes I delete a scheduled program that is not listed as new at the beginning of the week only to find that the schedule update the night before updates the status to new. I then have to go back and change it to record again.

Another anoyance for the Science Channel is a lot of times they will repackage previously aired programs as new. A giveway is when the airtime is two to three hours. This is more likely several repeats packaged together and called new.

Silver Problem Solver

History also has a history of 'repackaging' shows. "Pawn Stars" and "American Pickers" are two I often see like that, usually on weekends.