Community Forum

Remote DVR Programming

Contributor

Remote DVR Programming

Is Xfinity doing ANYTHING to restore remote programming of DVRs? Since the TIVO suit and Xfinity promise to appeal/fight the decision, I have seen and heard nothing to indicate Xfinity ever intends to allow that promised capabilty again!!!

Diamond Problem Solver

Re: Remote DVR Programming

Nothing has changed and probably won’t change until litigation is complete

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!
Contributor

I think I did ask the question publically on the Community Forum, and NO I did not get the answer to my question!

Contributor

Andrew,

I think it's about time the company notifies its customers that nothing has happened and probably will not in the foseeable future as you suggest!

I'm wondering what the company intends to do for its customers to make up for this lack of a feature that matters and was one advertised reason to sign up for the service.

Diamond Problem Solver

It’s actually been discussed on this thread for the last 18 months or so,
https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Stream-TV-App/Can-t-set-recordings-from-stream-app/td-p/3006332

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!
Valued Contributor

Hotwire Communications, a small broadband provider that is making major inroads here in Palm Beach County, offers remote programming of DVRs.  When contracts with Comcast expire, many developments here are switching to Hotwire as Comcast appears to be uninterested in renewing the contracts.

Contributor

Thanks for that info. I'm not  sure why Comcast/Xfinity does not appear to be concerned about this los of capability.

They may be, but I don't hear of any action. I learned in my companies that if noone apperas to be doing something about a problem; nobody is.

Contributor

In answer to my recent follow up from you . . . I did get a reply, but the answer was unacceptable. Briefly, I am told Xfiniti has no plans to restore the remote DVR recording capability or to compensate customers for the loss of this once advertised and touted capability.

W. Robert Keen

Official Employee

We do understand your frustration with the omission of the remote DVR recording functionality. We are sorry that this feature is no longer available and we apologize for the inconvenience this may have caused you. We recommend setting your recordings up ahead of time from home if/when you can within the absence of the ability to do so remotely. We are always working to add new features to the X1 Platform especially and we realize the changes/removal of others can be a difficult transition. We appreciate you being part of Comcast and we appreciate your understanding. Thank you for your feedback. 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Official Employee

@robertkeen02 wrote:

In answer to my recent follow up from you . . . I did get a reply, but the answer was unacceptable. Briefly, I am told Xfiniti has no plans to restore the remote DVR recording capability or to compensate customers for the loss of this once advertised and touted capability.

W. Robert Keen

Due to a legal ruling, we disabled the remote DVR feature while we actively pursued an appeal.

Some recent background on this can be found at the links below:

http://www.ipbrief.net/2018/03/29/tivovcomcastroundii/
https://www.multichannel.com/news/comcast-looks-to-possibly-re-instate-remote-dvr-recording-feature-...
http://www.cablefax.com/regulation/will-remote-dvr-return-after-comcasts-latest-patent-win-over-tivo

https://www.multichannel.com/news/tivo-goes-after-comcast-again-at-the-itc

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Highlighted
Official Employee

Remote DVR Functionality Restored

Today, September 23, the Remote DVR functionality on Xfinity Stream and Xfinity TV Remote app was restored.  The functionality lets you record, modify and/or cancel DVR recordings via the web portal (xfinity.com/stream) or apps.  Due to a legal ruling, we disabled the feature in 2017.