Community Forum

Recording the game

New Poster

Recording the game

My husband records the Astros then watches the game. But every time they play the Rangers, the DVR records fox instead of ATT sports and it’s annoying as the announcers are ranger people. 

How can he get it to record the games with our announcers?

Contributor

Re: Recording the game

@Danalea73 wrote:

My husband records the Astros then watches the game. But every time they play the Rangers, the DVR records fox instead of ATT sports and it’s annoying as the announcers are ranger people. 

How can he get it to record the games with our announcers?

By "Fox," do you mean Fox Sports Southwest, or the Fox network (or FS1)?

If it's Fox Sports Southwest, it may also depend on where you live.  Major League Baseball (and the NBA and NHL, as well) divides the country up into regions.  If you live in the Rangers' region, and there's a game on Fox Sports Southwest, then the game is supposed to be blacked out on all other channels in that region.

On the other hand, if you live outside of the Rangers' region, then the Rangers games on Fox Sports Southwest are blacked out.  For example, I live about halfway between San Francisco and Sacramento, and I get two of the regional sports networks because one has the San Francisco Giants and the other the Oakland Athletics - but one has the Golden State Warriors and the other the Sacramento Kings, and those of us on one side of "the line" get the Kings games blacked out while those on the other side get the Warriors games blacked out.

New Poster

We live in Houston, firmly in the Astros broadcast area.  But we get the Ranger's broadcast.  The Houston one is available, and if he thinks about it, he can go in and make sure it records correctly, but if he just lets it do its thing, it records the wrong broadcast.  Very annoying to watch the game with announcers who are cheering for the Rangers, talking about the Ranger players, pimping upcoming Ranger games, and ... no.

Valued Contributor

@Danalea73 wrote:

We live in Houston, firmly in the Astros broadcast area.  But we get the Ranger's broadcast.  The Houston one is available, and if he thinks about it, he can go in and make sure it records correctly, but if he just lets it do its thing, it records the wrong broadcast.  Very annoying to watch the game with announcers who are cheering for the Rangers, talking about the Ranger players, pimping upcoming Ranger games, and ... no.

You just came up with the answer. If your husband knows that the Astros are going to be playing the Rangers, have him think about it and make sure it records correctly. Simple.

Contributor

This shouldn't be a problem for the rest of the season; according to the schedule, July 29 was the last Astros-Rangers game of the season (unless both of them end up in the World Series, but if that happens, only Fox will be airing the games - I'm pretty sure World Series games don't have "local" TV broadcasts).

Valued Contributor

@ThatDonGuy wrote:

This shouldn't be a problem for the rest of the season; according to the schedule, July 29 was the last Astros-Rangers game of the season (unless both of them end up in the World Series, but if that happens, only Fox will be airing the games - I'm pretty sure World Series games don't have "local" TV broadcasts).

All postseason games, not just World Series, are national telecasts only. Fox, FS1, TBS and MLBN provide the coverage. However, the Astros and Rangers cannot meet in the World Series. They CAN meet in the ALDS and ALCS (and the ALWC, although that appears unlikely this season). 

Contributor

D'oh - I know I'm old school, but you would think I would remember that Houston moved to the AL a few years ago.  And yes, I am aware that Milwaukee also changed leagues, about 20 years ago...