Community Forum

Re: MSG Channel?! (Connecticut)

New Poster

What about the Harford Area - any chance we get MSG so we can watch the Knicks??

Frequent Visitor

Re: MSG Channel?!

New Comcast channel listing comes out with HD channels in the 1000's. No MSGHD! But they add Sprout HD and Gospel Music Channel HD? Nothing against sprouts and the gospel but come on?! Get MSG please!!

Frequent Visitor

I'm also in the Hartford area and no MSG yet.. encouraged that it moved to other parts of CT but they are still missing the Hartford County... we NEED MSG here too!  Please!!

Frequent Visitor

When can we expect MSG in the Hartford area?

Regular Contributor

Not to be a debbie downer, but here goes the most logical answer i can think of, and personally i hate it myself but here goes, Geographically speaking your in a "Boston" market, down here in "The Valley" (Naugatuck Valley) we are geographically closer to the New York City market, so your New York Knicks unfortunately are not available to you. Sorry....

However.... keep contacting comcast / xfinity and let them know, e-mails and calls work best, keeping this topic alive will also help comcastteds and other moderators express there interest in showing this to the quote "programming teams" New York fans are everywhere in the state. not just a geographical portion. And do not forget they may add only an SD Channel (which is a true bummer and comcast is famous for it) so make sure you request it in HD as well, we did down here and we finally got MSG HD.

Frequent Visitor

I, my husband and many others are big Knick fans. We live in the Hartford area, 2 hours from New York and 2 hours from Boston. We have always had access to the Celtics on non-high def and high def channels.

Until 2011, we have had access to the Knicks on high def channels and last year on a non-high def one. Now we are very disappointed we have no access to the Knicks on any channel.

PLEASE RESTORE MSG, EVEN IF IT IS ON A HIGH DEF CHANNEL!  Thank you.

Frequent Visitor

Thanks for the help.. it seemed like it worked for you guys so theres no reason to believe it won't for everyone in the Hartford area.  Lets keep the pressure up.. the season is so close we need MSG in Central CT.

New Poster

Do knick games still come in on channell 102 with the new channell lineup. This is rediculas. I live in west hartford, there are many knick fans here. I cant even get the ticket becuase the game is blacked out. So even if i want to pay extra i still can see the knicks. Im contacting my congressman..... This is terrible. Hopefully knicks fans keep switching to uverse and comcast caves on this issue. If MSG is not availble by next season im going to switch providers. I have heard good things about uverse and comcast is way to expensive anyways!!!!

New Poster

What about the Groton, CT area? Would like to get MSG Network over here since we do have fans of the New York teams in this area.

New Poster

Huge NBA fan here in Berlin CT, waiting for MSG to be added. CH. 102 doesn't seem to have the Knicks

games for my area, and the frustration is mounting...

Comcast, get 'er done!

New Poster

I would love to have MSG here in Hartford, but I would settle for paying the $179 for an NBA League Pass, but that gets blacked out, too!

Frequent Visitor

Dear Comcast,

On Friday evening, we were able to watch MSG's Knicks opener against the Heat and today we are unable to get MSG. Is Comcast only going to carry evening games? I have been told different things by Comcast personnel; some say we need to contact MSG. I did and was told I needed to contact Comcast. Then I spoke to a person at Comcast who said we would not obtain MSG and yet I was able to see Friday's game.

The mixed responses and lack of MSG are frustrating. Please restore MSG and on a consistent basis.

Lydia Vine

Frequent Visitor

Comcast,

Where is MSG in Hartford area (ie.East Hartford)? At least it was on Ch 102 (non-HD) last year. Today, I couldn't get the Knicks-76ers game on cable.

Regular Visitor

I just spoke with a Comcast rep on the telephone and she said that Comcast does not have a contract with MSG. She also said only ATT Uverse has a signed contract with MSG.  So how is Comcast going to offer MSG HD?

Waited a long time for the Knicks to turn things around and now can't even watch them unless they are on TNT or ESPN. Maybe its time to move on.

New Poster

Ch. 102 had the Knicks game on tonight (11/5)...

Frequent Visitor

If comcast doesn't add MSG here in West Hartford i think they are going to lose a lot of customers.. this one included.  For the prices we pay you would think we can watch the games, in a local area to say the least, that we want.  I would even pay the League Pass as well but thats blacked out!  Please comcast, this is urgent!

Frequent Visitor

Comcast was actually added to most western CT towns/counties on 1664, so we know its possible.  Unfortunately, the Hartford and eastern part of the state was ommitted from this.  Hopefully soon they can add this to our channel lineup

New Poster

My wife and I are moving to West Hartford shortly from New Haven.  Stumbling upon this thread has been an unpleasant surprise - I can't imagine not being able to see the Rangers from my home television.  If, as I've read, NHL Center Ice blacks out Rangers broadcasts in the Hartford area as well, that could be a dealbreaker for me.

I've been satisfied with Comcast for the 1.5 years I've been a customer, but the lack of MSG - even in standard definition as we had to live with in New Haven until last winter - is a big enough deal to send me elsewhere.

ComcastTeds - please keep us posted on the availability of MSG in the Hartford area.

Thank you.

Frequent Visitor

Been able to pick up MSG in standard mode on Ch 102 in East Hartford.

New Poster

We need any form of MSG or knicks games carried in Clinton CT Also! I live closer to MSG in NY than TD Bank arena in Boston. Why is this ably a Boston sports market?

New Poster

Please add Bristol to the list of cities/towns with MSG HD. If I lived 5 minutes west from where I am now, I would be able to watch the Rangers and Knicks? Btw, standard def and hockey, plus an HD tv, does not equate well. MSG+ is pretty much useless.
New Poster

How about those of us in the rest of New England who are NY transplants who never get to see the Knicks???  I'm in southern Vermont--please give us MSG!

New Poster

I live in Burlington and cannot get MSG. I also cannot get the Rangers on NHL Ice because it is blacked out "locally".  I get both NESN and Bruins on the Ice channels. Comcast is failing to protect the Bruins local broadcast and completely black out the Rangers at the same time. 

You need to either lift the local blackout for add MSG!

Frequent Visitor

So whats the word for the 2013 season?  Is the Hartford area STILL going to be left without MSG?  Chanel 102 is not showing the opening game.

Regular Visitor

Every year it is the same stuff. All the useless channels on Comcast and they can't put on the Knicks game. You can never get a straight answer from customer service on the topic. Hopefully someday there will be a free market instead of the monopoly that the cable companies enjoy.

New Poster

When I switched to the X1 box I had to agree FTP a two year commitment. I specifically asked
If we'd get MSG before doing so and was told before the Knick season started.
Guess I'll have to break the contract and go to AT&T since they have MSG HD.
Besides the X1 boxes suck anyways.
New Poster

The only way to get them to listen is to threaten to cancel your service. I, for one, went a step further and actually cancelled. I had to go a dish (which I didn't want to do), but with the cable monopoly here in Avon, I had no other choice. When I called customer service, they did everything to try to get me to stay (lower rates, faster internet, etc.). At the end of the day, if you can't get me MSG (especially after having the low-def overflow channel last year), then you're no longer worth my $150+ a month. Good riddance, Comcast.

For the rest that are still holding out hope, I'd HIGHLY reccommend calling or writing a letter. 

New Poster

AT&T is coming out Friday. Leaving Comcast after
20 years. Good riddance. Your days of having a monopoly
are over. Perhaps your service should reflect that.
New Poster

how is Att service?

Regular Visitor

MSG Network in Plainville and Burlington

Pretty plain and simple Comcast, we want MSG network... Madison Square Garden Network.  We are "in network" for the channel, so we are blacked out on NHL Network and NHL Center Ice.... so why can't I get it.  I know, it's "complicated" and "tricky".  I've heard all the lines.  I get NESN for the Bruins... AND I don't get blacked out on NHL Network or NHL Center Ice for them.  So why can't you strike a deal with MSG. 

I pay ALOT of money to Comcast every month and they can't even give me basic sports channels for local teams.  Pay MSG whatever they want for their channel, it is one of the most popular teams in the NHL and you are depriving your customers of it.  Oh and guess who does have MSG in this area? Direct TV, Dish, ATT... so why can't you guys offer it?  I wish i could say I'd switch but all those others companies are way worse than Comcast.  I know the NHL won't change blackout areas, so it's up to you Comcast you get your stuff together and get MSG Network ASAP.

Thank you.

New Poster

Another hockey season starting, still no MSG in Hartford. We get every NY and Boston sports station except the MSG networks. I might have to answer the door next time AT&T comes knocking.
Any updates on this comcast? All the surrounding comcast areas get.
Frequent Visitor

MSG this year for the Knicks?!

Frequent Visitor

We still do not get an MSG channel and are very disappointed.

Frequent Visitor

The most frustrating thing is that we're blacked out from NBA League pass as well. I would purchase league pass but we still wouldnt even be able to watch Knicks games.  Please Comcast - this is ridiculous.

Frequent Visitor

Re: MSG Network in Plainville and Burlington

Completely agree.  With all of the money we spend towards Comcast we can't even watch a local sports team.  And if their response is that we're not "local" in the Hartford area - well we're BLACKED OUT when we try to watch the Knicks on League Pass or any other team that plays on MSG.  

We need MSG in the Hartford area or Comcast will be losing a customer, plain and simple.  Ridiculous.

New Poster

I have the center ice package and they black it out due to MSG. i live in bristol pay 200 a month to be entertained we had msg in the 80 and 90s. Comcast needs to work out a deal to carry this we have YES AND SNY.... no MSG this dumb...

Frequent Visitor

I agree with alll of you. We should not be paying our money and be blacked out from ice hockey and the Knicks. Instead we get a message:"Sports Overflow." ...very annoying.

The Vines

New Poster

this is worst cable service ever customer servive is trash... crapy channel selection. they give lame excuses that they are blacking out the game due ticket sales of the game. they blame the NHL. i get comcast doesnt like the rangers they are owned by NBC which is a big supporter of the Kings. they offer MSG in CT but not Hartford make no sense.. i am done with comcast.

New Poster

msg

comcast needs to add msg network to it's lineup.we live in area that is classified,according to the nhl and nba,the new york market.if thats the case then comcast needs to rectify this issue for their subscibers.

Official Employee

Re: msg

All - thanks for your feedback and your patience. 

I wish I had better news for you, but we no longer have the rights to show MSG programming (Knicks and Rangers) in certain areas of CT.

In the past we were allowed to create a virtual channel to show some of the games, without having MSG as a full channel, but in the past few years we are not able to provide those games in that format.

I know that it is very disappointing, and that the die-hard fans are going to find other options (given that NHL Center Ice blacks out any Ranger, Bruin or Islander games in CT) – and that the dozen or so Ranger games televised nationally (on NBC or NHL Network) probably are not enough for the big fans.

I wish I had better news for you, but I wanted to be up-front and let you know where we stood.

We are always reevaluating our channels and talking with our network partners, so things can change, but as of right now, we don't believe we will have MSG Network available in areas of CT where it is not already available.

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
New Poster

see that comcast does not care hence I will be looking into other service providers thanks for not caring about the customer

Frequent Visitor

I hope Comcast will continue to pursue showing MSG games and not blocking out NBA TV when the Knicks are playing.

Thank you.

New Poster

Ted,

Thank you for responding to this thread. I am one of many who would be thrilled if Comcast would offer MSG in the area. I see that Frontier does carry MSG, and to be honest, I am considering switching cable providers for this reason.

One thing that I would like to get an answer on is:

Why is it that I get blacked out when the Rangers are playing on NHL Network and on NHL Center Ice? If you're saying that Comcast does not have the rights to show the games in certain areas of CT, then the game should be made available on the pay per view model. If the Hartford area, particularly west of the CT river is considered out of market, then it should be available on NHL Center Ice, right?

I don't care about a blackout with Bruins games because the game is available to me on NESN.

I've reached out to @ComcastCares on Twitter but have not heard back from anyone.

It seems like there are plenty of complaints from people in the area demanding you guys pick up the channel. I personally think with the Hartford Wolfpack, the Rangers AHL Affiliate Franchise in the area, there would be a natural connection with the fan bases, and ultimately viewership. Look at NESN in Providence (Bruins), MSG Plus in Bridgeport (Sound Tigers), etc.

Thanks for reading.

Eric

New Poster

Still waiting for a response here Ted.

New Poster

see Ted does not care this thread has been active since 2007... waiting for Frontier to get their act together comcast is on barrowed time

New Poster

Please, for the love of NY sports....GIVE ME MSG!!!!

Official Employee

rangerfanct wrote:

Ted,

Thank you for responding to this thread. I am one of many who would be thrilled if Comcast would offer MSG in the area. I see that Frontier does carry MSG, and to be honest, I am considering switching cable providers for this reason.

One thing that I would like to get an answer on is:

Why is it that I get blacked out when the Rangers are playing on NHL Network and on NHL Center Ice? If you're saying that Comcast does not have the rights to show the games in certain areas of CT, then the game should be made available on the pay per view model. If the Hartford area, particularly west of the CT river is considered out of market, then it should be available on NHL Center Ice, right?

I don't care about a blackout with Bruins games because the game is available to me on NESN.

I've reached out to @ComcastCares on Twitter but have not heard back from anyone.

It seems like there are plenty of complaints from people in the area demanding you guys pick up the channel. I personally think with the Hartford Wolfpack, the Rangers AHL Affiliate Franchise in the area, there would be a natural connection with the fan bases, and ultimately viewership. Look at NESN in Providence (Bruins), MSG Plus in Bridgeport (Sound Tigers), etc.

Thanks for reading.

Eric

Apologies, not sure how I missed your question above. You can always send me a PM (Private Message) to nudge me if needed. 

You can click on my name (ComcastTeds) and scroll down to a link that says “Send this user a private message”.

At the top of each Forum page you will see a small envelope

This is the icon for Private Messages, referred to as ‘PM’s’. A Private Message is a way to communicate in private, to another User, Moderator, or Administrator out of public view in the Forums.

The envelope icon will have a number next to it if you have any new messages waiting.

To open a PM to read it, double click on the envelope. If you click on the envelope a window will open with tabs for your Private Message Inbox, Sent Messages, Friends, Ignored Users, and Compose new Message. You can also access this area by clicking on the Username in a Thread or post. By default, Private Messages are enabled. You can disable this feature in My Settings>Preferences> Private Messenger.

Unfortunately, the rule is not whether the video provider actually carries the channel or not, the rule is that if the channel could be carried and offered in the area designated by the local team then the game is blacked out on the pay-per-view sports package.

This rule is in place to protect the television sports rightsholder who paid for the rights. 

This is a league rule. 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Regular Visitor

MSG Network in Connecticut

I've posted about this before on the boards, with no resolution about MSG (Madison Square Garden) Network in my area, but with hockey season almost two months away, I must try again in some hope that Comcast will fix this issue so that I can watch New York Rangers hockey come the start of the season.

Now I have had Xfinity for many years and latest promotional offer has run out, forcing us to pay $215 a month for your Premier Bundle XF... plus additional fees to bring our bill up to $262 a month.  In these years I was hoping that Comcast would finally fix the problem and offer MSG in my town.  But atlas they have not.  Which is a major problem since I am blacked-out from Rangers games on both NHL Network and NHL Center-Ice because of league rules that state if a carrier can carry the channel then it will be blacked out.

So that mean that Comcast CAN carry the channel but because of some reason will not.

I'd gladly pay my 262 a month if I could watch every New York Rangers game in HD on my TV at home.  That would be amazing!  But I can't.  So I feel ripped off by Comcast who can not stike a deal with MSG or refuse to strike a deal with MSG.  Either way you are punishing people like me who are paying very hard earned money and not getting everything that I should be getting.

So is there a way I can either get go back to a promotional price or is there a way you can somehow get MSG in your channel lineup for my area?  Or do I need to find a cable provider that will carry New York Rangers hockey for me?  I'm sorry to be blunt like that, but after all these years it is getting very frustrating not being able to watch my hockey team when I am in the area to get their games.

Please Comcast... please do something to help me out.

New Poster

Re: MSG Network in Connecticut

Any update for this season?

Frequent Visitor

Feel your pain as a Rangers and Knicks fan. This has gone on for years. One year though they showed some games on a non HD overflow channel which was better than nothing. Need to rethink this as I pay 230+ $ and no MSG.