Community Forum

Re: Comcast downgrading all 1080i HD channels to 720p

Contributor

I'm very disappointed with resolution now that Comcast has begun recoding 1080i to 720p60 (which then must be upscaled for viewing on my set). I just can't accept the reduced picture quality these two resolution changes deliver.

I've read MANY forum threads on this. I see that the X1 platform is included. (I understand that progressive is better for motion, so for sports content I can accept 720p. I also understand Comcast's priority to "transition to IP video delivery"...all-1080p would've worked for me.)

I wonder (though I don't even have a UHD television yet) what Comcast's plans are for UHD content?

My contract expires April 14, 2019; I escalated to a Comcast customer support supervisor who said that they won't let me out of my contract (despite having downgraded my picture since I signed it). I plan to complain to the FCC and my local TV consumer reporter.

I'll call DirecTV next April.

Expert

@coyote2 wrote:

I'm very disappointed with resolution now that Comcast has begun recoding 1080i to 720p60 (which then must be upscaled for viewing on my set). I just can't accept the reduced picture quality these two resolution changes deliver.

I've read MANY forum threads on this. I see that the X1 platform is included. (I understand that progressive is better for motion, so for sports content I can accept 720p. I also understand Comcast's priority to "transition to IP video delivery"...all-1080p would've worked for me.)

I wonder (though I don't even have a UHD television yet) what Comcast's plans are for UHD content?

My contract expires April 14, 2019; I escalated to a Comcast customer support supervisor who said that they won't let me out of my contract (despite having downgraded my picture since I signed it). I plan to complain to the FCC and my local TV consumer reporter.

you seem to have been misinformed. CW is a locally distributed syndication network. It was formed from 2 other networks and is/was transmitted locally in 480p (SD) or 720p(30) or 1080i depending on the consolidation transmitter used.  The local network 'may' have changed their broadcast resolution and the engineer there can verify that for you. All local broadcast channels are broadcast in mpeg2 and is not recoded by Comcast.

If you scroll back a few posts you can read on the technology upgrade Comcast has done while still on QAM for linear channels delivered by set top box. all portable devices are receiving IPTV streams. 

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Regular Contributor

@coyote2 wrote:

Look ..... The solution is to use a smaller screen like 32" or smaller and get a 720p one like my 10 year old Panasonic Viera and my Vizio 24" 1080p in the kitchen for my wife.  Both work really great with the Comcast conversion to 720p60 MPEG4 and save a lot of space on the DVR HDDs .... Unfortunately, many large screen users fell for the various manufacturer's past hype about bigger is better and 1080p is even greater, and 4k is wonderful over the last 5 years, etc.   Then of course comes along Comcast and changes the things to gain more bandwith (understandable) by using high quality compression algorithyms to convert to 720p60 MPEG4 which looks great on smaller screens.

Notice how many of their TV commercials now depict users only watching "streaming" TV on "small" hand-held devices which is probably "their" future business plan.   But, in my humble opinion, the move also stealthly sets them up to further monetize the change by asking for more money from the larger screen users (especially the 4K and up crowd) ... Smart business 101 if you ask me.

I'm not an employee ... but in full disclosure, I was a past individual stockholder for almost 8 years as it's price more than quadrupled from Sept 2010 to March 2017 (including reinvested dividends) .... a nice tax-free 4 bagger on a small initial after-tax $10K investment of cash that just was sitting idle in my retirement savings ROTH-IRA plan back at the front end of the Great Recession.

Contributor

@eecon1 wrote:

@coyote2 wrote:

Look ..... The solution is to use a smaller screen like 32" or smaller and get a 720p one like my 10 year old Panasonic Viera and my Vizio 24" 1080p in the kitchen for my wife.  Both work really great with the Comcast conversion to 720p60 MPEG4 and save a lot of space on the DVR HDDs .... Unfortunately, many large screen users fell for the various manufacturer's past hype about bigger is better and 1080p is even greater, and 4k is wonderful over the last 5 years, etc.   Then of course comes along Comcast and changes the things to gain more bandwith (understandable) by using high quality compression algorithyms to convert to 720p60 MPEG4 which looks great on smaller screens.

Notice how many of their TV commercials now depict users only watching "streaming" TV on "small" hand-held devices which is probably "their" future business plan.   But, in my humble opinion, the move also stealthly sets them up to further monetize the change by asking for more money from the larger screen users (especially the 4K and up crowd) ... Smart business 101 if you ask me.

I'm not an employee ... but in full disclosure, I was a past individual stockholder for almost 8 years as it's price more than quadrupled from Sept 2010 to March 2017 (including reinvested dividends) .... a nice tax-free 4 bagger on a small initial after-tax $10K investment of cash that just was sitting idle in my retirement savings ROTH-IRA plan back at the front end of the Great Recession.

We didn’t fall for anything, it’s not hype. My 65” 4k TV really does look amazing if you give it a good signal. Even 1080p streaming on Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, etc. looks great even though it’s not 4k or as high of a bitrate as a 1080p blu-ray, the bitrate is enough to look good. The problem with Comcast isn’t only that they’re broadcasting at 720p but also that the bitrate they broadcast at is very low. As it stands watching anything dark or in motion is a blocky mess that makes it hard to make out detail on anything and that’s all because of the bitrate. If you had a good bitrate at 720p it would be slightly blurrier than 1080p but at least you’d be able to make out a lot of fine detail and motion or dark scenes wouldn’t degrade the picture. I guarantee you if they were feeding your 720p TV a higher bitrate it would look a lot better than it does now, the resolution isn’t the primary issue here. 

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

@Rustyben wrote:

@coyote2 wrote:

you seem to have been misinformed. CW is a locally distributed syndication network. It was formed from 2 other networks and is/was transmitted locally in 480p (SD) or 720p(30) or 1080i depending on the consolidation transmitter used.  The local network 'may' have changed their broadcast resolution and the engineer there can verify that for you. All local broadcast channels are broadcast in mpeg2 and is not recoded by Comcast.

If you scroll back a few posts you can read on the technology upgrade Comcast has done while still on QAM for linear channels delivered by set top box. all portable devices are receiving IPTV streams. 

Comcast apparently is converting some local channels.  I can pull in channels via an antenna (Tivo) and through Comcast (also Tivo) and CW is being broadcast out of Philly is still 1080i.  Through Comcast it’s 720p. 

Expert

@Morac2 wrote:

@Rustyben wrote:

@coyote2 wrote:

Comcast apparently is converting some local channels.  I can pull in channels via an antenna (Tivo) and through Comcast (also Tivo) and CW is being broadcast out of Philly is still 1080i.  Through Comcast it’s 720p. 

normally (call the local engineer to verify) the station sends the mpeg2 stream that goes to the transmitter to a Comcast head-end-in-the-sky via glass fiber. the station may be getting the 720p from CW and outputting it to their current 1080i antenna. CW was created out of two different networks and has a varied base of syndicated broadcast sites/stations.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Regular Contributor

I hope my 12 year old SD CRT TV lasts for many more years.  Why? I'm stunned at its 4:3 picture quality.  In fact. while watching it ---- I often have  to  go into other room and check HD picture, for example HBO 801 and compare with simultaneous broadcast on HBO SD channel 551 (on CRT TV).  As for old 4:3 movies for example on TCM (Turner Classic Movies) channel 789 on HD TV and 501 on SD CRT TV --------- CRT TV picture superior. 

Regular Visitor

Thank goodness I found where my reply to the main thread for some reason got moved.

Good news: A few days after "a Comcast customer support supervisor who said that they won't let me out of my contract", Comcast phoned ME persuant to my FCC complaint and let me out of my contract.

As for the replies to my post...

@Rustyben
Your reply is not at all responsive to my post.

@eecon1
I can't tell for sure, but I sure hope your post was intended to be humourous!

@haneybd87
The compression problem is good to know about, thank you very much!

@SLannes
I'm guessing you aren't joking.

I'm imagine that for SD content, a SDTV could look as good as an HDTV (or better if the HDTV is set to fill the whole screen with it instead of display the content in it's 'actual size').

But there's an underlying irrationality to your thesis: SD content only has 480 vertical lines of detail (that's why it was fine to sit on the other side of a big room from it). HD and UHD have 1080 and 2160 vertical lines of detail, in other words they by definition are content which enable higher picture quality (aka higher definition /resolution) if one sits less distantly so one can percieve the much smaller screen pixels and thus much greater resolution.