Community Forum

Profanity

New Poster

Profanity

At 8pm on Monday Apr 22, 2019 the History Channel aired Knightfall S02 E05 Road to Chartres and the f-word was verbalized twice in the episode. The FCC site said to contact the carrier to file a complaint about profanity. How do I pursue a request to have them discontinue use of profanity during prime time programming?
Regular Contributor

Re: Profanity

I assume "the carrier" in this case is History Channel, not Comcast. I doubt Comcast has any right to censor any of the programs that it carries. I suggest contacting them. Only if enough people complain about it will they even consider doing anything about it.

Also keep in mind that the FCC does not have very much authority over cable stations.

Silver Problem Solver

That episode is listed as having a TV-MA rating. Many shows, especially if TVMA, will air foul language. Cable channel rules are looser than broadcast. If you are offended, configure your box to block those programs using the Parental Control settings.

History.jpg

Problem Solver

The FCC has no ability to regulate the content of cable television stations. Most prohibitions you see against language, violence, sexual content, or nudity on cable are done so by the decisions of network executives who want to market to certain demographics or by agreements of what advertisers find permissible in certain windows. This is a different story on the over-the-air networks, of which the FCC can regulate those types of standards.

All of us possess the right to consume whatever content we see fit, and if you find such language offensive, to feel free to change the channel to other programming that suits your values.