Community Forum

Picture doesn't fill screen

New Poster

Picture doesn't fill screen

I had a coax cable connecting the HD DVR/cable box to an old TV. After getting a new Magnavox HD TV I used the same coax cable and the result was a predictably fuzzy picture filling the whole screen. After I replaced the coax cable with an HDMI, the picture is sharp but only takes up the top left corner of the screen. Nothing I have done, including resetting the cable box (before and after talking to someone at Comcast), has helped. I also tried using the HDMI2 input and got the same result. Comcast's follow-up "expert" technician never called back as I was promised. Has anybody else had this problem? How can I fix this?

Most Valued Poster

Re: Picture doesn't fill screen

On some HD channels the picture won't fill the whole screen. Depends on the channel and depends on how the program you're watching was originally recorded.

Jerry
Problem Solver

maf1231 wrote:

I had a coax cable connecting the HD DVR/cable box to an old TV. After getting a new Magnavox HD TV I used the same coax cable and the result was a predictably fuzzy picture filling the whole screen. After I replaced the coax cable with an HDMI, the picture is sharp but only takes up the top left corner of the screen. Nothing I have done, including resetting the cable box (before and after talking to someone at Comcast), has helped. I also tried using the HDMI2 input and got the same result. Comcast's follow-up "expert" technician never called back as I was promised. Has anybody else had this problem? How can I fix this?

That doesn't sound normal for any Tv ... you sure the Tv isn't displaying the Picture-in-picture window?

try messing with the Tv's settings & remote's buttons for PIP vs normal viewing.  

edit:   When the picture is displaying as you describe, on your Tv's remote (not the comcast remote) look for a "swap" button next to the PIP buttons & press that to see if the picture switches to the normal screen.  

Or also make sure the tv's "source setting" for the normal screen is set to the hdmi input you're using?

(that may not be the issue, it just sounds like it)

Problem Solver

I agree that an "upper left corner" picture doesn't sound like any issue I have heard of, aside form picture-in-picture.  Usually, what happens is that you get "black bars" on the top/bottom ("letterboxing") or a black frame all around the picture ("postage stamp").  You might also get a full screen, but everyone will be in stretch-o-vision.  The settings on your TV probably need some adjustment.

Before having a Comcast tech come in, ask your neighbors (or anyone under 20 years old) if they have issues/experience with wacky picture screens.  They may be able to diagnose your issue and fix the problem in a few minutes.

Did you sign up for HD service with Comcast?  If not, that could contribute to the issue.  The best way whether it's Comcast or the TV would also be to do an antenna scan of local over-the-air channels and see whether they come in with the full screen.  If they come through crisp and clear and correct, then maybe you need a new cable box?

Silver Problem Solver

It's not a cablebox issue. Use the remote that came with the TV to change the display settings.

Official Employee

Whats the model of the dvr ? Is it an old one or an x1
New Poster

This has been fixed. Even though I thought the resolution was limited to 720p, once I tried the 1080p 16:9 setting, it was fine. Thanks for all the replies though!

New Poster

If you have Xfinity with an XR2 remote ( on back of remote it will tell you model number )

do this:

Press the Yellow A Button for the Help menu

Select the Help Videos and select "Learn how to program your remote control"

No need to watch video, just after it comes up hit the "Exit" button on the remote to exit the video.

It will then take you to a selection screen.

Select "Device Settings" > "Video Display" > and then make

ZOOM = Full

Video Output Resolution = 16:9 - 1080p60 HD

once doing so the menu may or may not hang, try to exit, if you cant just recycle the power, i.e. reboot your TV etc

the setting will stay and you will have your full screen back.

Signed,

Frustrated Comcast Customer, 2 hours on hold, if you wish things done right do em yourself,

To the Cia is now run by the clown that runs comcast, goodness were in trouble