Community Forum

Over The Air TV requests?

Highlighted
New Poster

Over The Air TV requests?

I am wondering why some of the channels that you can get over the air in HD/digital formats are not carried in certain areas. For example, I see that certain Comcast areas cover Laff TV, but in my area, it doesn't. There's also another one, RetroTV, which isn't carried, which is over the air. I would have to go through and get the entire list of over the air stations that are not carried, but I know that several are not carried but were carried on a competitor's service. 

I mean, you repeat some stations three and four times... it's like a hot mess on the listings. How does one request these stations to be added? 

Valued Contributor

Re: Over The Air TV requests?

@Rocco220 wrote:

I am wondering why some of the channels that you can get over the air in HD/digital formats are not carried in certain areas. For example, I see that certain Comcast areas cover Laff TV, but in my area, it doesn't. There's also another one, RetroTV, which isn't carried, which is over the air. I would have to go through and get the entire list of over the air stations that are not carried, but I know that several are not carried but were carried on a competitor's service. 

I mean, you repeat some stations three and four times... it's like a hot mess on the listings. How does one request these stations to be added? 

You say "I know that several are not carried but were carried on a competitor's service. " Does that mean these OTA channels are no longer carried by the competitor in your area? Comcast doesn't carry channels if they are not broadcast subchannels in your market. If none of the broadcast channels in your market transmit these channels (Laff, Retro, etc.) then Comcast has no way of carrying them.

Regular Contributor

What's your ZIP Code?  That way, we can find out what broadcast stations you receive, so we can determine what OTA subchannels should be available.

Also, if there is a particular channel you want to look up, most of them have websites where you can enter your address, or at least your ZIP Code, and it will tell you if the channel is available.
For example, click here to see where LAFF TV is available. Note that DISH Network is the only provider that has it available nationwide.

Silver Problem Solver

It depends on agreements between Comcast and the local TV station, and sometimes even the network that station is carrying. I know here in Chicago, WLS carries Laff, but Comcast does not, even though it did carry the network that was on that subchannel before. There are also several other networks here in Chicago Comcast does not pass on, such as GritTV, Qubo, IonLife, getTV, Escape!, Quest, Justice Network, and many others.