Community Forum

Only List Channels in Guide that you actually receive

New Poster

Only List Channels in Guide that you actually receive

I have been meaning to set up my guide to only list the channels that I actually receive.  I would also only like to show the HD version of the channels that have both HD and standard.  I finally just tried to do this.  I did not see how to do this with the available menu options so I did an on-line chat with Comcast.  I was told that your cannot do this.

Seriously?  WOW! That is pathetic.  That would be an easy programming effort on the part of Comcast. I wonder if they could do this but want you to see all of the channels to get you to add more.  Is this year 2012 or 1980.  I am writing this to vent and see if there is anyone else out there that thinks this is stupid, pathetic, poor customer service.  Sorry I am still in disbelief.

Bronze Problem Solver

Re: Only List Channels in Guide that you actually receive

dagootee wrote:

I have been meaning to set up my guide to only list the channels that I actually receive.  I would also only like to show the HD version of the channels that have both HD and standard.  I finally just tried to do this.  I did not see how to do this with the available menu options so I did an on-line chat with Comcast.  I was told that your cannot do this.

Seriously?  WOW! That is pathetic.  That would be an easy programming effort on the part of Comcast. I wonder if they could do this but want you to see all of the channels to get you to add more.  Is this year 2012 or 1980.  I am writing this to vent and see if there is anyone else out there that thinks this is stupid, pathetic, poor customer service.  Sorry I am still in disbelief.

I have seen this multiple times without any resolution.  The only thing I can suggest is to go to zap2it and configure it to your channels, I know you can select a channel from zap2it, but at least you better see what is available to you.

New Poster

Thanks for your idea.  I hate to be so lame but how would I do this?   I do not understand how Zap2it would do anything to what shows up when I hit the guide button on my remote.  I will go further in asking what is Zap2it?

Silver Problem Solver

eds suggestion was for the onine guide from Comcast. Zap2It  is similar but many times the program listings are more accurate.

What you want to do with the onscreen guide is not, as you noticed, not a function that can be done. Many people would like this to be available. I am one of them, my older tvs have this function for showing me only the channels I am interested in, not the Comcast boxes/software.

There is nothing you could do on Zap2It website that would affect the onscreen guide like you wouid like.

Edit: Forgot to mention with the onscreen guide the only option at present is to set up Favorites, you can set up more than one list, to show what channels you want. But normally the full guide will show up when you press the Guide button. Somewhere on these forums is a macro that is supposed to make a Favorite list your primary onscreen guide.

New Poster

Thank you for the clarity on Zap2it.  I was thinking of doing what you said in creating some favorites list.  Still clunky, but better than nothing.  I still cannot believe that Comcast does not offer this basic functionality.  This is what happens when there is close to a monopoly.  In general it seems that Comcase is saying "Take what we give you and like it".

Stuff like this coupled with the way you get nickeld-and-dimed on the packages and rental, I might start seriously looking at DIrect TV or somthing else.

Silver Problem Solver

In my opinion the problem is Comcast has two infrastructure bases to supply guides to: Motorola and Cisco/Scientific Atlanta based equipment.

The Motorola markets used guides very similar to what we all see now. I am in an old SA market (former Time Warner) and the older SARA guide software would only show the channels I subscribed to. No way to pull channels out that I didn't want to see when just scanning up or down the channels using the UP and Down channel buttons but still didn't have to see all the other channels. I knew they were there.

The plan is to have all markets nationwide have similar, probably not equal at the same time, functions. So some probably sensible functions needed to be left out of the new guide programming for this. Personally I would rather they dropped the Shop HSN from the Remote function for others but that is just me.
All my tvs are smarter than the boxes we get from Comcast because they have this function. However it seems Comcast doesn't think this is an issue. Probably more important to entice a customer to possibly upgrade by showing them what they may be missing. More likely it takes too much memory and programming time to install this function.

New Poster

I think they should make a "My Guide" where you can customize not just the channels you receive, but the cannels you WATCH. I don't need to see a bunch of sports schedules when that's not what I watch.

New Poster

I agree completely with both ideas I see here. The first one being, there should be a "setup" option to set the guide to only show the channels that are in your package. To me that concept is just common sense. And there is no doubt to me that this could be easily done, with little to no expense. I am also certain that the reason they don't do this is exactly what was mentioned. They want people to see what they are missing, so that they will pay more. But truly, I wonder how many people ACTUALLY do this; how many people see something in the guide and suddenly decide "I must have that" and pay more money to upgrade their package. I mean, are we really that stupid? I know I'm not, I know whats out there, but I also know how much I want to spend on my cable tv, and I'm not going to change my package because I see something else on the guide. But it just goes to show where their priorities lay. Instead of giving the customers what they want (and I bet 98% of their customers would want this), it seems to me they would rather anger their customers, on the off chance they might pull in a couple more bucks. The biggest frustration for me in this, and probably the reason I am here venting like this, is that I don't even know what all channels are available to me, and this seems like it would be the easiest and most logical way to learn that, but I guess not.

New Poster

I bet watching other people's DVR programs on your tv, I guess like a DRV Share, is closer to happen than this simple change to the guide.

New Poster

yeah i been having same issue. i only have the most basic cable but forced to scroll through maybe 1 hundred channels that i don't have in my plan.  Some channels i have or atleast supposed to have are missing or not viewable. I tell you what.  my Motorola box does not get HD channels cause i only have basic service and the HD channels DON'T show up which is a good thing.  So Comcast does have the ability to remove channels not in your service.  THEY JUST CHOOSE TO NOT TO MAKE MOTOROLA OR CISCO BUILD BOXES THAT ARE PROGRAMMED PER CHANNEL SERVICES CUSTOMER PAYS FOR. 

I made a post on these missing channels on this forum. they can remove channels from my service at anytime they want. its in your service agreement. but they can't remove unwanted channel:  Come on Comcast.  http://forums.comcast.com/t5/Channels-and-Programming/MISSING-CHANNELS-TBS-Channel-Comcast-missing-a...

Hope more can chime in.

Just about ready to cancel my cable service. Been thinking this for many months. Dont think i will last till new years. Just venting. Smiley Sad

New Poster

I Totally agree here!  That was one of the things I wanted to set up first as it seems to be a no-brainer!  Showing all kinds of stuff that is unavailable to me is not something I have time to scroll through.  Especially in the On Demand features when selecting Filter by Free to me and the selections do NOT change.  This is annoying to say the least. 

I just switched back from Direct TV and like the way some of the features are set up thru DTV...however they have their challenges now too. 

I spent a few hours going through the All Channels list and selecting each channel I get as a favorite in order to have a workabe list to scroll through.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE allow us to get this feature more easily!  OR at least let us be abe to have a few categories of Favorite channels to choose from and a way to select the default when starting up again.  Because it always reverts to the All Channel selection in the Guide. 

New Poster

2015 and still no way for the guide to show just my subscribed channels.

Monopolies gonna monopolize and do what they want....

I also like the idea mentioned to just show the HD channels if a channel has both standard and HD. 

Regular Visitor

I'm another frustrated user as the original poster. So venting, I say, that Comcast is not addressing the problem is out of this century. A similar way that the transmission end blocks the channel streamming  on the tv, the channel can be  made blanked, from the channel set and from my screen so i would not need to scrool through it. I'm pretty sure that the vendors (cisco, motorolla, etc) have left the application programming interfaces available for carriers (like comcast) to wrap around and address this issue. I mean why do they call it the "Infinity X1 Entertatinment Operating System"?

New Poster

This is a GREAT idea, exactly what I want and was trying to figure out!  Come on Comcast!  Please!

Official Employee
Moved:

Gold Problem Solver
Moved:

New Poster

We have had other cable services and they all had this option....i can't belive that how backward and complicated xfinity is....i have to go through multiple screens to get to my recordings or on demand. And when scrolling through all the live channels i have no idea which ones i have and which i don't, untill i try clicking on the channel. Xfinity is so time comsuming and backward! I would go back to Uverse if they provided it where we moved to.

I don't know if i can stand this long enough to keep it......

New Poster

You can get a TiVo and activate service. $15/month. Then return the Xfinity box and get a cable card. The cost of the TiVo service is offset by the reduction in your bill by not having the box fee and dvr fee. TiVo will let you customize your guide. It is a vastly better dvr and service. We just got a TiVo bolt and are loving it. It also comes with the first year of service free.