Community Forum

No more commercials

New Poster

No more commercials

We pay for tv so lets lose the commercials!

Tags (1)
Regular Contributor

Re: No more commercials

Not quite.  You pay for Comcast providing you with, among other things:

(a) the ability to watch local channels with a decent quality picture - or, in some cases like mine, where I live too far away from the broadcast antennas - watch local channels at all;

(b) the ability to read through a program guide, and even search for programs;

(c) On Demand programs.

One thing I agree with you on: get rid of the commercials put there by Comcast (as opposed to by the broadcasting stations) - this was one of the reasons I left Comcast about eight years ago (what happened was, Comcast would replace a channel's late night infomercials with ones of its own, but somebody forgot about the switch back from Daylight Saving Time one year, so the infomercials replaced an hour of programming for a week or two).

Valued Contributor

@ThatDonGuy wrote:

Not quite.  You pay for Comcast providing you with, among other things:

(a) the ability to watch local channels with a decent quality picture - or, in some cases like mine, where I live too far away from the broadcast antennas - watch local channels at all;

(b) the ability to read through a program guide, and even search for programs;

(c) On Demand programs.

One thing I agree with you on: get rid of the commercials put there by Comcast (as opposed to by the broadcasting stations) - this was one of the reasons I left Comcast about eight years ago (what happened was, Comcast would replace a channel's late night infomercials with ones of its own, but somebody forgot about the switch back from Daylight Saving Time one year, so the infomercials replaced an hour of programming for a week or two).

Each national network reserves time during its programming for local commercials. Comcast and other telecom providers insert those commercials into the allotted slots. 

New Poster

Commercials being played during movies.

Valued Contributor

@slthompson wrote:

Commercials being played during movies.

Watch TCM. No commercials.

Highlighted
New Poster

Our cable subscription is paying for two things:

Broadcast Programming from a commercial network 

Broadcast Delivery service over the Comcast infrastructure.  

The purely over the air networks run commercials to pay their bills.  These are the Alphabet networks ABC, CBS and NBC and their local affiliates.  You can see these channels on the basic service.

In the beginning, the cable networks were funded solely by our cable subscriptions (sans commercials).   The after a few years, HBO and Showtime became Premium channels.  This was OK because you had the choice to subscribe or not.

In the present day, there are lots of Premium channels and we have to contribute $8.25/month to support a Regional Sports Network (YES, MSN, etc.) that we may not want. 

We also contribute $8.50 per month to support 'Local Broadcasting'.  I thought thats what the commercials were for - to support the local Broadcaster.  On top of that, we're getting hit with  commercials from both the locals and the cable network.   Those Home Shopping Networks are pure profit for the cable operator, thus they're mandatory on all service tiers.   

I also noticed that most related cable channels go to commercial at the same time, forcing you to suffer through a barrage of commercials.  

The FCC should mandate strict ala carte pricing.  As an example, the Military History Channel is a mandatory component of the 'Sports Package'.  The two have nothing to do with each other, but if you want Mil you have to want Sports too.

Frequent Visitor

Sometimes I wonder if FCC gets a kickback from providers to allow the stuff broadcasters and cable services push during programs. Do these entities not get enough money from subscribers all over the nation?

Regular Contributor

@jdorfman2011 wrote:

Sometimes I wonder if FCC gets a kickback from providers to allow the stuff broadcasters and cable services push during programs. Do these entities not get enough money from subscribers all over the nation?

By "push during programs," do you mean "product placement" (for example, where everybody seems to be drinking Coca-Cola products while using their Apple computers)?

First, the FCC has little authority over cable TV - just broadcast. This is why, for example, you can swear on TBS but not ABC.

Second, even on broadcast networks, as long as there is a "Promotional Consideration by {insert company name here}" listed in the closing credits, the FCC has no real problem with this.

Still, occasionally the FCC will do something about cable TV. For example, both Nickelodeon and ABC Family were fined because technical errors caused commercials to air during "kids' shows" that promoted items associated with the show, and when that happens, the FCC considers the entire program to be considered a commercial, so those channels violated the rules on the amount of commercial time they can air.