Community Forum

No full screen view

New Poster

No full screen view

Cant view premium channels in full screen.-only widescreeen (aka "breadbox"...with the black band above and below  the content...

it started with show time. recently all premium movie channels are now wideacreen displayed. We have called and even had a tech at our house and its been un fixable. anyone else have this issue?

New Poster

Re: No full screen view

Yes and I have tried everything. Zoom doesn't work and the custom doesn't either. It's not just premiums it's a lot other channels also. Someone told me it has to do with the HD but the problem is there is no way to adjust it.
New Poster

Thanks for the Reply. If I find a solution I'll post.
Frequent Visitor

It is 9:30 eastern time and both movies on showtime and HBO are not full screen. I am so happy I pay $194 per month to not get full screen on a premium channel. So now I don’t get full screen on my 55” in the living rm. and I don’t get full screen in the bedroom on the old tube tv. 1 of 9 hbo currently on are full screen. Showtime same thing. Shame. Shame shame
Regular Contributor

The problem could be that the aspect ratio of more recent movies (a width/height ratio of 2.35) and the aspect ratio of the TV (a width/height ratio of 16/9, or 1.77) are two entirely different things. AV Club noted early last year that showing these movies in fullscreen was removing a quarter of the picture, which is just as bad as the old "pan & scan" days when they needed to fit a 16:9 ratio movie onto a 12:9 ratio screen. You say, "Shame," but if this is what is happening, then the channels are just listening to all of the people who said, "Shame," when they realized that the movies they were watching were missing 1/4 of the screen - and the only solution for you might be to find a "custom" setting on your TV and "manuall" zoom the picture out until it fills the screen.

If it is happening with TV series as well, then what I described might not be the problem, since those should be made for 16:9 screens.

Contributor

Did you ever find a fix for this problem? I'm having a similar problem, along with some others, and looking for solutions.