Community Forum

No HD Cooking Channel or DIY Network?!

New Poster

No HD Cooking Channel or DIY Network?!

Hey all,

I just switched to X1 from DirecTV and I'm pretty shocked to learn that Cooking Channel and DIY are not offered in HD in my area (06480).  I see lots of other complaints on this site and others regarding this issue.  Is there any plan to add these HD feeds in the future?  If not, is there an online petition or some way to ensure that our feedback is heard with the people who make these decisions?  My family watches these networks regularly, and SD-only service is pretty disappointing.  I am aware that On Demand content is available in HD, which is good, but not quite the same thing.

Any info is appreciated.  Thanks!

Shaun

Official Employee

Re: No HD Cooking Channel or DIY Network?!

Hello, sbuggie! Welcome to the Xfinity Forums!

I would be more than happy to look into this issue for you. Please send me a Private Message with your full name so I can check on this for you.

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

Same issue in our area (Nor Cal) and never been given a good anwser. Have been asking to 2-3 years

Official Employee

Hello, Povlak.

It is up to the networks to decide what services of theirs are available and where. We are always working with them to provide the best service possible to our customers. While some channels may not be offered in HD at this time, they may be available in the future. 

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Contributor

The last statement isn't totally correct. Comcast/xfinity varies its HD offerings depending on the capacity of the local systems. In areas where they invest in improving the infrastructure, they offer more HD channels. Many areas have those channels in HD. 

A better question is  whether Comcast plans to upgrade your area.

This is just what I've heard from several sources.

Official Employee

We’re always evaluating the content and channels we offer customers, so the Cooking channel/DIY may be available in HD in the future. To submit your interest in having those HD channels, please visit: https://www.xfinity.com/support/cable-tv/channel-availability-faqs/ .

Contributor

To be clear - both channels are available in many xfinity markets, including mine, in HD. Xfinity chooses not to show them in all markets in HD, usually because they haven’t upgraded the capacity of that system.

That seems unfair to many as we all pay essentially the same price for unequal offerings.

Here is a link to a site that keeps tabs on the HD channels being offered by the larger providers.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/34-hdtv-programming/2806945-official-avs-national-hd-channel-lineups-...

Official Employee

I definitely understand how frustrating that would be. The best way to have the issue addressed would be to fill out that feedback forum requesting those channels in your area.

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

Good luck with "Request they be added". In our area 32448 we have been asking for 12 years to add Cooking, DIY, Sportsman and Outdoor channel in HD.  To date.... nothing.... I'm not sure what the reason is but I'm sure it's some lame excuse. Good luck to the OP.

Contributor

Upgrades in Nashville began not long after Google announced they were bringing Google Fiber to Nashville and AT&T began significantly upgrading their service. I’m sure that wasn’t related....

I will say, for a lot of legal reasons, Google Fiber has not rolled out to any major degree here.

The only way we got more HD was switching to Uverse. We sadly switched back when the Uverse incentives ran out and our bill soared. 

Xfinity seems to listen more when customers begin leaving.