Community Forum

NHL Center Ice 2019-20 Season

Contributor

Re: NHL Center Ice 2019-20 Season

I'm going to say C none of the above. ASSUMING there is no software glitch like with MLB EI Beta, I say all HD on the dedicated team channels from day 1 tonight, but no recording. Think about it, why would hockey or any sports package be a front burner item when the main Xfinity app is still in Beta and needs a lot of modernizing?
Frequent Visitor

I'm interested in the Sabres/Penguins game that only shows an SD channel for tomorrow night.  After watching and recording all games in HD on Center Ice with Direct TV for the last several years it would be a big step backwards to only have an SD option available.

Contributor

@blueandgold wrote:

I'm interested in the Sabres/Penguins game that only shows an SD channel for tomorrow night.  After watching and recording all games in HD on Center Ice with Direct TV for the last several years it would be a big step backwards to only have an SD option available.

I was a 24 year since 1995 veteran of Directv until this past March.  There are certainly some HD hurdles in general you'll have to overcome here with Xfinity.  I got so much better value here than at Directv that I couldn't help but switch, even though I'm a huge sports fan and this HD/SD stuff is a PITA.

From what I can discern, if you want to record games, you're at the mercy of mostly SD telecasts and some HD telecasts in the 600/1300's (there are 2 dedicated linear HD channels for that).  You can watch all games in HD on the aforementioned Beta Team Channels (that are pain to get to) and even pause and rewind them from my recollection, but you can't record them.  Yet.  There's some posts here that say it's coming real soon.  You can roll the dice on what "real soon" ends up being.  Your best bet may be NHL.tv and stream it, where everything is basically recorded for you/on demand.

And yes I know, NHL.tv came with Center Ice free with Directv, but that's not the case here and has been discussed elsewhere.  MLB.tv comes to Xfinity for free with Extra Innings, it makes no sense that it's not consistent across MLB/NHL/NBA, don't ask me why it isn't, who knows.

Official Employee

Both, you won't be able to record in HD until the HD Channels are available in the grid guide and out of Beta. 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Regular Contributor

@ComcastChad wrote:

Both, you won't be able to record in HD until the HD Channels are available in the grid guide and out of Beta. 

........and you are saying that it will be out of beta in time for this season...this is what you eluded to earlier in the thread......... post by you on  (09-20-2019 02:48 PM)

"Beta" does not mean a feature you have around for 5 years and use that term as an excuse if it doesn't work. (and don't have to hand out refunds)

The time delay on this "beta" is also unacceptable as people like to be on twitter during the games and they see tweets of goals before it occurs on the TV because of the IP/internet time lag.

This was a great feature for 2016 - 3 years later it needs to be FULL allotment of linear channels, and please stop calling it beta in perpetuity

New Poster

Last night there was no NHL Center Ice Beta channel available in the lineup.

Usually it was right above the 2nd HD game, which is channel 459.

Instead, there's a MLB Extra Innings Beta channel, even though MLB ended last week, but no NHL channel.

With there being 4 NHL games last night, all available in HD, there wasn't a need for it, but there will be a need tonight and most nights going forward.

Does this mean we'll be without the ability to watch all games in HD until the unveil the feature mentioned above where they'd be available in the grid in HD?

If so, it's highly disappointing they couldn't get this figured out in time for opening night.

Frequent Visitor

The NHL Center Ice Beta channels were available for me last night.

I did the same thing I did for Extra Innings which is to say "NHL Center Ice Beta" into my X1 remote and the menu for all of the teams came up. I can also scroll down the guide and find it but I find it easier to speak into the remote. It worked that way for Extra Innings and last night for Center Ice.  

Regular Contributor

I think the "beta" gets a slot in the guide once the free preview is done. Good call on the voice activation Smiley Happy

but we are all hoping that beta goes away in favor of HD channels of each game

Contributor

The NHL Beta Guide channel is right before the Cricket Channel 3101 or just after I think it's 1899...just after the last movie channels.

I agree Bill on the Beta expiration date, I said it earlier.  I tested it, FWIW, the IP delay vs. the NHL CI REGULAR HD delay and it's only about 5 seconds vs. NHL.TV which has a 30 seconds+ delay vs linear tv.

New Poster

I'll try the voice activation and see if that works.

I know there was no NHL Beta channel last night on my TV.

Actually, I like the Beta. I completely get the frustration people have not being able to record games from there the Beta, but I like being able to pick the game I want to watch from there.

If I want to watch the Maple Leafs, for example, I can just click on Maple Leafs instead of trying to remember which channel they are on. Especially helpful when each channel on the grid says NHL Hockey, NHL Hockey, NHL Hockey....

And when all the channels are full of games, there's no open channel displaying the list of games, so I find it easier to go into the menu and just pick the team.

Contributor

@TPavs24 wrote:

I'll try the voice activation and see if that works.

I know there was no NHL Beta channel last night on my TV.

Actually, I like the Beta. I completely get the frustration people have not being able to record games from there the Beta, but I like being able to pick the game I want to watch from there.

If I want to watch the Maple Leafs, for example, I can just click on Maple Leafs instead of trying to remember which channel they are on. Especially helpful when each channel on the grid says NHL Hockey, NHL Hockey, NHL Hockey....

And when all the channels are full of games, there's no open channel displaying the list of games, so I find it easier to go into the menu and just pick the team.

If you have an X1, it was there, where I described above, I was watching.  Try where I said tonight.

I don't need to record games, so yeah, the Beta isn't the end of the world for me, it's just the principle.  There used to be no rewind or pause, that was the ultimate pain.  But someone told me channel 1329. the Pac 12 Network, is also an internet IP channel.  If true, my only wish is that we just had a number assigned to each team.  If I wanted Anaheim it's 2100, Boston 2101 etc.  The extra steps hopping between two good game is annoying.  If it can be done for the Pac 12 channel why not Beta NHL, MLB & NBA?

New Poster

@Microphone wrote:

The extra steps hopping between two good game is annoying.  If it can be done for the Pac 12 channel why not Beta NHL, MLB & NBA?

Thanks Microphone. I will look for it tonight.

When I hit the Last button, it shows the last 10 or show channels I watched. And for the games from the Beta channel, it shows the team logo. So if you watch the Flames game, for example, it shows a Calgary Flames logo. So switching back & forth is really easy.

But yeah, the idea of every team being assigned a channel is good too. If we have channels well into the 1000s, why can't every team have their own channel and keep it simple?

Contributor

You're right on the back button TPavs and if you're hopping between 3 games or more, it's actually better than a true last button, which I miss a lot. But I agree, specific channel numbers to get to the specific teams is the way to go.
New Poster

First off, voice command gets you right to the beta. Excellent suggestion.

I'm not much for talking into the remote, just a personal preference, so I prefer to find it the old school way so....

On my grid, there is no NHL CI Beta right above the CI games (like above channel 459, the 2nd HD channel).

However, when you go to the guide, put channel 3000 in, which is right above the cricket channels, there it is, and it works fine. It would be a LOT more convenient if it were above the NHL games, but at least it's there and all is good.

Interestingly, I was over at my Dad's house last night, and we were watching the free preview games, he does not have Center Ice. The Beta is not available for him in the free preview. When you picked a team, it said that team's channel isn't available, do you want to subscribe?

I thought this was a big miss on Xfinity/Center Ice's part, b/c if I was considering ordering Center Ice, I'd be much more inclined to order it if I knew all the games were available in HD.

Regular Contributor

@TPavs24 wrote:

...On my grid, there is no NHL CI Beta right above the CI games (like above channel 459, the 2nd HD channel).

However, when you go to the guide, put channel 3000 in, which is right above the cricket channels, there it is, and it works fine. It would be a LOT more convenient if it were above the NHL games, but at least it's there and all is good.

Interestingly, I was over at my Dad's house last night, and we were watching the free preview games, he does not have Center Ice. The Beta is not available for him in the free preview. When you picked a team, it said that team's channel isn't available, do you want to subscribe?

We have subscribed to CI this year but still see that msg (for Penguins aka "The Team" it says PITCI subscription needed). Beta is not available to us, atm. For the past few years, on our line-up, we've been able to channel down from the first CI channel (771) to get to beta, or, go to the teams logo as you have done. DH has never found beta on the grid--mostly because he's never looked. He just uses voice or the arrow button for previously viewed. No grid channel does make it more difficult when viewing though Slingbox when away.

New Poster

These people totally don't get NHL hockey.  I tuned in tonight for my free CI preview and somehow the two precious HD channels were showing the same game (Jets vs Devils) which was also being shown on NHL Network.  So I can get three HD options for the same game while three other games are being broadcast in some sort of pre-historic analog format that is 100% unwatchable.  Who and what is driving these horrible decisions.  Obviously it's not being driven by the customer / viewer experience.  How can you think you can charge for a premium service like NHL CI and deliver such inferrior content...........

Frequent Visitor

I have the same message.  I'm watching on the beta channel but can't get the regular HD channel so can't record.

Frequent Visitor

I received the same message after I ordered Center Ice using my X1 remote so I went to my Comcast office and they could not find a record that I had made the order so the representative at the office ordered it for me and when I got home about 10 minutes later everything was fine and have had no problem since then. Keeping my fingers crossed.

It is strange that at your Comcast  office they verified that it was on your account and you still had a problem.  On the other hand I have stopped calling Comcast because your call gets routed out of the country and mostly to Mexico where they can't speak English and are clueless. I just go to the Comcast office for help. 

There was a problem with Extra Innings in mid September and the 4 calls to Mexico were useless so I went to the Comcast office and lo and behold they spoke English and in 5 minutes I got more accomplished then in the 45 minutes I spent on the phone talking to 4 different representatives in Mexico. By the way Extra Innings problem was a software problem on the Comcast side but the Mexico reps were clueless.

Frequent Visitor

I ordered through my remote but got confirmation email with the change so thought I would be good.

Regular Contributor

@seattle4sports wrote:

I received the same message after I ordered Center Ice using my X1 remote so I went to my Comcast office and they could not find a record that I had made the order so the representative at the office ordered it for me and when I got home about 10 minutes later everything was fine and have had no problem since then. Keeping my fingers crossed.

It is strange that at your Comcast  office they verified that it was on your account and you still had a problem.  On the other hand I have stopped calling Comcast because your call gets routed out of the country and mostly to Mexico where they can't speak English and are clueless. I just go to the Comcast office for help. 

Of course, I did go to the office for help. I do believe it's on my account. The billing agent I spoke with on Friday did seem to know what was going on. I'd asked when I would see the CI charges on the bill. She said that it would be four payments and the first would be on the next bill. She quoted the early-signing price. I did not tell her it was a four-payment plan.

When I try beta, I get that same msg that's been there for days about subscribing. I know better than to call tonight. This is the fourth time in five years that this has happened. Last year I was changing my plan so just added CI with that and all worked (I even posted about the fact that someone got it right--for once!) The year before, I called the first night when we had no access. The guy said it would be there in an hour or so. It wasn't. I called again, and it finally appeared. The problem with that year was that I ended up with THREE subscriptions to CI: the one I'd placed during the early sign-up time; the one from the first call, and the one from the second call.

So, I see nothing strange about any of this except for the fact that I've been with Comcast/Xfinity for 16 yrs. 

Regular Contributor

@blueandgold wrote:

I ordered through my remote but got confirmation email with the change so thought I would be good.

Not receiving that is exactly why I went to the office which is what I told the agent there.

Frequent Visitor

When I ordered with the X1 remote I didn't get an confirmation email either but did get one after the representative at the Comcast office ordered it for me.  

Regular Contributor

@blueandgold wrote:

I wish I had gotten that info when I'd asked a week ago. I would have tried to get a printed copy from the agent. Two years ago when I'd gone in to get some info, the agent at that time told me that she could tell me what was on my account, but that she could not make any changes to it. I had to call. Was she lying? Has that responsibility changed? 

Frequent Visitor

I made the mistake of calling Comcast about not getting the center ice channels last night while I was watching the game on the beta channel.  They could see I had ordered center ice but didn't know why I wasnt' getting the channels.  After the first technician repopulated my channels and it wasn't fixed he transferred me to the "advanced" department where I proceded to unplug/plug several times and have the signal resent to the box several times.  After doing this I lost the whole signal and couldn't watch anything.  His resolution was to have me exchange my box today because it is "too old" to get the channels.  Calling back and getting another "advanced" rep only got me to more umplugging and plugging and signal sending.  Her supervisor used the even more advanced techniques of making sure the power was on the box and the input was set right.  After about 10 times checking this I now have a service appointment this afternoon.  Way to go Comcast. 

Regular Contributor

@blueandgold wrote:

I made the mistake of calling Comcast about not getting the center ice channels last night while I was watching the game on the beta channel.  They could see I had ordered center ice but didn't know why I wasnt' getting the channels.  After the first technician repopulated my channels and it wasn't fixed he transferred me to the "advanced" department where I proceded to unplug/plug several times and have the signal resent to the box several times.  After doing this I lost the whole signal and couldn't watch anything.  His resolution was to have me exchange my box today because it is "too old" to get the channels.  Calling back and getting another "advanced" rep only got me to more umplugging and plugging and signal sending.  Her supervisor used the even more advanced techniques of making sure the power was on the box and the input was set right.  After about 10 times checking this I now have a service appointment this afternoon.  Way to go Comcast. 

Yet, you were able to view the beta. So sorry that happend to you, but the scenario is not unusual. I just checked the channels on my pc and the CI rosters are now showing on the regular CI channels for my area. The Xfinity beta app for roku is showing those channels with the rosters as is my phone. I've done the system reset (button A on the remote to system refresh) as well as multiple unplugs, but I still get the error code. My box is fairly new (two years--maybe 3) PX013ANC. I read in a thread on error code 03121 (which is what I'm getting) that it's an "entitlement" issue--whatever that means.

I hope your issue is resolved with a new box. Mine needs something on Comcast end to fix it.

Frequent Visitor

I don't think the problem is the box.  I had that same error code and the first person I spoke to said something about entitlements.  The first time he reset it the channels repopulated and he thought the entitlements would update, or something like that, but when they didn't he sent me to the advanced department.

Regular Contributor

@blueandgold wrote:

I don't think the problem is the box.  I had that same error code and the first person I spoke to said something about entitlements.  The first time he reset it the channels repopulated and he thought the entitlements would update, or something like that, but when they didn't he sent me to the advanced department.

Exactly what I read on the error code thread. System reset (not box reset) was supposed to fix that, but, it didn't. Thanks for the input. All help is appreciated.

New Poster

No joke, would’ve picked up nhl.tv as at least then you can watch it wherever you want. Having to be on your home WiFi and not having accessible anywhere is pathetic.
New Poster

Re: NHL Center Ice Beta 2019-20 Season

I am a Center Ice subsciber(5 years now) You always had a Beta Channel so You could get the broadcast and announcers of Your favorite team, this Year You still have the MLB extra innings on! Baseball Season is over! Where is the NHL Center Ice (Beta) channel?

Regular Contributor

Re: NHL Center Ice Beta 2019-20 Season

@Bill19591 wrote:

I am a Center Ice subsciber(5 years now) You always had a Beta Channel so You could get the broadcast and announcers of Your favorite team, this Year You still have the MLB extra innings on! Baseball Season is over! Where is the NHL Center Ice (Beta) channel

Doesn't voice search work just like last year? If not, we found it between 1999 and 3101 on our line-up. It used to be one channel down from SD (channel down from 771 for us). We still don't have access through either of our boxes, though. Last night, I connected a chromebook to tv to watch the game since we have SD access on all our "streaming" devices. I was also able to record the game. Just can't watch it on the boxes thanks to an "entitlement" issue which I was able to deal with yesterday. 

EDIT: Before I called, I did a second system reset. After that, the XRE-03121 disappeared, but so did my subscription. The first call ended up in getting correctly diagnosed within about 5 min and then the agent gave me a direct number to the agent who fixed the codes. His advice was to sign up through "billing" next year.

New Poster

Chad, why is the MLB Beta channel still appearing on Center  Ice channels now that baseball is in the playoffs. ?  I use the Beta feature often. 

New Poster

WIsh I would have found this thread yesterday. I ordered CI through the chat feature online. I even asked about access to NHL.tv (half the reason I considered gettiing the package this year) and was told I would be receiving that as well. Sounds like that was pretty misinformed and now I'm trying to figure out what to do next.

Also, and this might be my fault for being impatient, I ordered this around 3p CST Friday. I am not getting the channels still and was told this wouldn't take effect until Monday. Ugh.

Regular Contributor

BRIBBS, if all is well, it should happen immediately (after you review the email/text sent then click agree-- which is the procedure when setting up service through an agent, at least). Based on my recent (and past) experiences, I'd recommend waiting until Monday and call billing if you still do not have CI. If CI is on your acct, ask them to check for correct codes. Alternatively, if you want to cancel CI because of no NHL TV, you should be able to do so.
Contributor

Starting today, the NHLCI Beta access point is between channels 612 & 621.  The MLB EI Beta access point is now between 1899 and 3101 where the NHL was.

The only issue for me is when you hit the guide to go back out, it defaults to 3101 instead of 621.  Interesting.