Community Forum

NHL Blackout HD (only issues) Las Vegas Knights (Utah)

Regular Visitor

NHL Blackout HD (only issues) Las Vegas Knights (Utah)

Please fix! I live in Salt Lake City, and for the HD channels on Center Ice for the Vegas Golden Knights, it says: “This channel is required to be blacked out in your local market” and says it’s on a “local channel”, yet it works in SD in Center Ice. This makes zero sense. A) We aren’t in Vegas (or the state of Nevada. It’s not a local team and is not broadcasted on a local channel. C) Why on earth would it work ONLY in SD. Please have your responsible party over the NHL package fix this. Thanks

Official Employee

Re: NHL Blackout HD (only issues)

dhatch4 wrote:
Please fix! I live in Salt Lake City, and for the HD channels on Center Ice for the Vegas Golden Knights, it says: “This channel is required to be blacked out in your local market” and says it’s on a “local channel”, yet it works in SD in Center Ice. This makes zero sense. A) We aren’t in Vegas (or the state of Nevada. It’s not a local team and is not broadcasted on a local channel. C) Why on earth would it work ONLY in SD. Please have your responsible party over the NHL package fix this. Thanks

Apologies for the issue and the experience that you described above.

I can confirm that  your area of Utah does fall within the Outer Market of the new Vegas Nights territory. Your area should have been blacked out for both the SD and HD channels on NHL Center Ice for all NHL games involving the Vegas Knights.

I do see that AT&T SportsNet Rocky Mountain (channel 52/1251) and Altitude (channel 61/1250) are both offered in your area. 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
New Poster

I am in Utah and have AT&T SportsNet Rocky Mountain (channel 52/1251) and they don't show the Vegas Golden Knights. I tried to watch the other day and Xfinity was showing the Rich Eisen Show instead of the hockey game. Per the NHL schedule it should have been on the AT&T channel and it wasn't.
New Poster

That is a really frustrating answer......our version of AT&T sportsnet regional channel DOESN'T show the Vegas Knights games live or even replayed. In Utah we have ZERO ability to watch the Knights play even on nights when the Jazz are not playing they don't show the Vegas games. So either you need to offer an alternate feed of AT&T sportsnet Rocky Mountain that shows the games or he NHL needs to drop the Utah market from Vegas Knights so that we can watch them on the subscription service that we paid for (Center Ice). I can understand that we get the Colorado Avalanche games Blacked out.....they are AVAILABLE to watch on Altitude channel......see that's what it means to be available locally. Show me how to subscribe to the Vegas Knights games and I'll be happy .....right now it's impossible in Utah. There simply isn't a local feed. 

Regular Visitor

Center Ice Blackout PROBLEMS

I live in Salt Lake City and DO NOT have AT&T SportsNet for Las Vegas, yet I cannot watch ANY VEGAS Golden Knights games because @xfinity has incorrectly labeled them, local.
Regular Visitor

How can this get resolved? This isn’t fair, nor should this be blacked out! If it was local, add the channel for us to watch, if it’s not, add it back to the package. It’s 2017 and this is ridiculous! Now you have taken away the local feed. PLEASE! Even Directv in the area allows for the games to show.
Tags (1)
Official Employee

dhatch4 wrote:
How can this get resolved? This isn’t fair, nor should this be blacked out! If it was local, add the channel for us to watch, if it’s not, add it back to the package. It’s 2017 and this is ridiculous! Now you have taken away the local feed. PLEASE! Even Directv in the area allows for the games to show.

All - apologies. I am checking into this again now with our Utah team. Thanks for your patience. 

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Official Employee

Thanks all again for your patience while I researched this issue a bit further. Apologies on the news below. 

Unfortunately, it's not a matter of "is the game available on a regional sports network in your area" it's a matter of "could you possibly get this game on a regional sports network in your area" which is a different question.

The NHL blackout rules are in place to protect the local TV rights holders - whether the game is actually available on TV in your area or not.

The blackout for the Las Vegas Knights games in this area remains intact on NHL Center Ice (correctly) as the local regional sports network has the rights to these games in your area. 

In this case, this is a distribution issue between the regional sports network (AT&T SportsNet Rocky Mountain) and Comcast. There are additional costs (rights fees) for Comcast to deliver the AT&T SportsNet Rocky Mountain feed that includes the Las Vegas Knights games in this area of Utah.       

Blackouts are not based on arena sell-outs.

Regular Visitor

Comcast- You must fix this issue. Even the NHL website shows we are NOT in a local broadcast market for Vegas GoldenKnights hockey. See email with link:

“Dear Doug,

Thank you for sending your email.

Questions regarding cable or network blackouts of National Hockey League games on broadcast television should be directed to your network or cable TV provider.

For information regarding NHL.TV blackouts, please visit our Blackout FAQ page at http://www.nhl.com/ice/ziplookup.htm”
4A434304-518B-4A77-A339-869252335A23.png
Official Employee

dhatch4 wrote:
Comcast- You must fix this issue. Even the NHL website shows we are NOT in a local broadcast market for Vegas GoldenKnights hockey. See email with link:

“Dear Doug,

Thank you for sending your email.

Questions regarding cable or network blackouts of National Hockey League games on broadcast television should be directed to your network or cable TV provider.

For information regarding NHL.TV blackouts, please visit our Blackout FAQ page at http://www.nhl.com/ice/ziplookup.htm”

Unfortunately, it's not a matter of "is the game available on a regional sports network in your area" it's a matter of "could you possibly get this game on a regional sports network in your area" which is a different question.

The NHL blackout rules are in place to protect the local TV rights holders - whether the game is actually available on TV in your area or not.

The blackout for the Las Vegas Knights games in this area remains intact on NHL Center Ice (correctly) as the local regional sports network has the rights to these games in your area.

In this case, this is a distribution issue between the regional sports network (AT&T SportsNet Rocky Mountain) and Comcast. There are additional costs (rights fees) for Comcast to deliver the AT&T SportsNet Rocky Mountain feed that includes the Las Vegas Knights games in this area of Utah.

Blackouts are not based on arena sell-outs.

New Poster

I have been reading the posts n Questions on the Vegas Knights blackout in Utah and SLC market.
I know you can fix this. You failed and underestimated the support and interest the Vegas Knights Hockey.
Stop the stock answers.
When the Knights play in Montreal there is not a reason to blackout the game. Send me the feed from the local team.
My direct TV friends get the games and they don't have Center Ice like I do.
Just get a solution and fix it before I have to put a stupid plate on my roof.
Don't cut n paste a response from your screen.
If it's never going to happen then just say it. Be honest and open.
New Poster

This is lame. Paying for center ice and it gets blacked out. Can’t watch it anywhere. Just taking my money and not caring.
Official Employee

Knights2017 wrote:
I have been reading the posts n Questions on the Vegas Knights blackout in Utah and SLC market.
I know you can fix this. You failed and underestimated the support and interest the Vegas Knights Hockey.
Stop the stock answers.
When the Knights play in Montreal there is not a reason to blackout the game. Send me the feed from the local team.
My direct TV friends get the games and they don't have Center Ice like I do.
Just get a solution and fix it before I have to put a stupid plate on my roof.
Don't cut n paste a response from your screen.
If it's never going to happen then just say it. Be honest and open.

Apologies, The answer I posted earlier is still quite accurate.

Unfortunately, I am not aware of any current plans to deliver the regional sports network feed to your area that contains the Las Vegas Knights games.

We are contractually obligated in this area to black out the Las Vegas Knights games on NHL Center Ice. 

New Poster

Re: NHL Blackout HD (only issues) Las Vegas Knights (Utah)

Makes Zero sense for LVGK games to be blacked out in SLC. Why is this? I have NHL center ice and I dont get it on any local channel, so why is NHL Center Ice blacked out. Im 6 hours drive away! Fix it!
Official Employee

RicharsWrench wrote:
Makes Zero sense for LVGK games to be blacked out in SLC. Why is this? I have NHL center ice and I dont get it on any local channel, so why is NHL Center Ice blacked out. Im 6 hours drive away! Fix it!

Apologies.

In this case, this is a distribution issue between the regional sports network (AT&T SportsNet Rocky Mountain) and Comcast.

There are additional and considerable incremental costs (rights fees) for Comcast to deliver the AT&T SportsNet Rocky Mountain feed that includes the Las Vegas Knights NHL games in this area of Utah.

Comcast has chosen not to incur those additional and considerable incremental costs and pass them along to our customers. We certainly understand that some of our Utah customers are not happy with this decision.

Regular Visitor

I understand the local blackout rules for center ice having had dish for 14 years and Xfinity last 2. the current problem for last 7-8 days is channel 752 is constantly showing "Area blackout" message. Does not matter who is playing or even if there is a game on. There is never any game shown. I tried using chat again. Waste of 30 minutes as usual. Next day went to Xfinity store. Woman tried to explain center ice policy,  I reexplained the issue. She told me someone else had been in with same problem. She said we would be credited for the problem at some point.(  i laughed to myself)  Just checked and as i write this channel is still non working. There is no recourse as Xfinity makes it nearly impossible to reach any real support. I am hoping maybe, just maybe you can shed some light on this. You seem to be productive in these forums. Thanks ComcastTeds

Regular Visitor

Hello Comcast?!?!  Hello Xfinity?!?!?  Anyone out there?

Official Employee

wrote:

I understand the local blackout rules for center ice having had dish for 14 years and Xfinity last 2. the current problem for last 7-8 days is channel 752 is constantly showing "Area blackout" message. Does not matter who is playing or even if there is a game on. There is never any game shown. I tried using chat again. Waste of 30 minutes as usual. Next day went to Xfinity store. Woman tried to explain center ice policy,  I reexplained the issue. She told me someone else had been in with same problem. She said we would be credited for the problem at some point.(  i laughed to myself)  Just checked and as i write this channel is still non working. There is no recourse as Xfinity makes it nearly impossible to reach any real support. I am hoping maybe, just maybe you can shed some light on this. You seem to be productive in these forums. Thanks ComcastTeds

Apologies for the delay and apologies for the issue and the experience. Checking on this now. Thanks for your patience.  

Official Employee

wrote:

Apologies again. We were able to check with our team in Salt Lake City and confirmed that the GameHD2 channel 752 is now working.
Our satellite receiver was stuck on the blackout slate so the receiver was re-set. Please let me know if this is now working for you. 

I have also applied some credit on your account for this inconvenience. Thanks also for your patience.