Community Forum

NBC Sports Philly Plus but no NBC Sports Philly

New Poster

NBC Sports Philly Plus but no NBC Sports Philly

I'm trying to watch Flyers games on NBC Sports Philly but Its not on my channel line up and, from what I can tell, is NOT offered in my area? Strange because I get all other local Philadelphia channels, even the more obscure NBC Sports Philadelphia Plus.

When there is a National broadcast of the game on NBC Sportsnet, there is a blackout implying that I should be in-market for Philadelphia Flyers games. Yet NBC Sports Philly is not offered? How soon until I can get this channel?

e: I forgot to mention, there is a Regional Sports Fee on my bill every month.

Regular Contributor

Re: NBC Sports Philly Plus but no NBC Sports Philly

Could you post your ZIP code here?  (No other information - just your ZIP code.)  That way, we can figure out what regional sports channels you "should" have access to.

However, if Flyers games are blacked out on other channels, then you should be able to get the regional network that is showing the game.  (Then again, for all we know, you ARE getting that channel, but it has some crazy channel number.)

New Poster

My Zip is 08536. I hope I'm somehow overlooking that channel on my lineup but when I search for NBC channels on the online channel lineup tool NBCS Philly doesn't show up (see attached screenshots).

Xfinity Screenshot.jpg
Regular Contributor

According to the regional sports network guide that DirecTV has, you're not in the Philadelphia area; you're in the New York City area.

You "should" be getting:
YES (Yankees, Nets)
MSG (Knicks, Rangers, Islanders, Devils)
SportsNet NY (Mets)

Why Flyers games would be blacked out where you live, I don't know, unless the game was on in another local channel where you are, which I sort of doubt.  It's also possible that they were playing the Rangers, Islanders, or Devils, and the game was on YES or MSG.

Tuesday's game wasn't on NBC Sports Philadelphia, according to the Flyers' TV schedule, since it was on NBC Sports Network.  It's possible that the game was blacked out "out of habit" or because of some NHL rule requiring it (because it was a home game), even if it's not on a regional channel.

New Poster

First, thank you for trying to help me get this issue sorted out, I appreciate it.

I wish that Xfinity would release such a tool so that I can definitively say which region I am in according to Comcast. While I do get the New York channels, I am also getting every Philly channel EXCEPT for NBCS Philly. If I was not in the Philly region then I should not be getting these channels and I should not be getting blacked out of the games when they are also broadcasted nationally (provided they aren't playing the NY/NJ teams like you mentioned). The game I was referring to in my earlier post was blacked out against Las Vegas, not New York or New Jersey. Even when I tried NHL.tv, Flyers games are still blacked out.

My whole point is if I'm able to watch NBC Sports Philadelphia Plus, then I should be able to watch NBC Sports Philadelphia. It's very frustrating that I live 30 minutes outside of the city and yet I can't even watch my local hockey team.

Expert

Badams2:

"My whole point is if I'm able to watch NBC Sports Philadelphia Plus, then I should be able to watch NBC Sports Philadelphia. It's very frustrating that I live 30 minutes outside of the city and yet I can't even watch my local hockey team."

I see your point here. But here in Mpls. / St. Paul area, if a game was not sold out the blackout included anyone in the "over the air" viewing range. Usually figured as 50 to 60 mile within the transmitter. Sometimes the owners of the team, or local company,  bought up the extra seats in order to transmit the game. Cable companies, etc., only show what the local channel provides.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Regular Contributor

@MNtundraRET wrote:
I see your point here. But here in Mpls. / St. Paul area, if a game was not sold out the blackout included anyone in the "over the air" viewing range. Usually figured as 50 to 60 mile within the transmitter. Sometimes the owners of the team, or local company,  bought up the extra seats in order to transmit the game. Cable companies, etc., only show what the local channel provides.

That only applies to football (and even now, the NFL "suspended" its "blackout rule" a few years ago).

Each location is supposed to be assigned one or more "local" major league teams; I think the leagues themselves do this.  If "your" team is being shown on a local regional sports network, then all other broadcasts of that game are blacked out.  On the other hand, all other teams' broadcasts on regional sports networks are blacked out (on the RSNs only) where you live.  Most people only get one, but, for example, in my case, I get two, because one has the San Francisco Giants and the other has the Oakland Athletics.  However, one of those also has the Golden State Warriors, and the other has the Sacramento Kings - and the NBA says that, since I live in the Warriors area but not the Kings area, the RSN that shows the Athletics cannot show me its Kings games.

I think the problem with the original poster is, somebody at his local Comcast office thinks that he lives in the Philadelphia Flyers area, whereas the NHL says he lives in the Rangers/Islanders/Devils area.  Since the Flyers/Golden Knights game he wanted to see was on NBCSN, it should not have been blacked out.  This is something that has to be brought to the attention of the local Comcast office.

However, this is easier said than done; when I had Comcast 10 years ago, I had a problem where an hour of programming on GSN was being pre-empted by infomercials that the local Comcast system was adding (at the time, when a station aired "national" infomercials, Comcast would air "local" ones in its place), because the Comcast system had not taken the time change at the end of Daylight Saving Time into account.  However, the only way I could contact Comcast was through its nationwide phone number, and I just had to hope that it could get a message through to the local office to fix it.