Community Forum

NBC Sports Boston Over Compressed this year?

Frequent Visitor

NBC Sports Boston Over Compressed this year?

The celtics on NBC sports boston channel 852 HD are showing really bad picture quality this year. So I've been calling every game. First I was told it is NBC Sports Boston's fault, but I can find the hacked raw feed online and it's pristine.  So I stopped at a friends house with fios and it looks great. This is definitely compression due to bandwidth limits comcast has set on this channel. After resetting my boxes to no effect, I was told I had to have an appt to have someone look at it. The support guy doesn't even have a screen to look at it. Sigh.

So someone is coming. He will definitely see it on my 110" screen. I've got a recording of the game too. But jeez there must be a better way for them to look at and see what they are transmitting than coming to my house. Is there?

Expert

Re: NBC Sports Boston Over Compressed this year?

@dsm1212 wrote:

The celtics on NBC sports boston channel 852 HD are showing really bad picture quality this year. So I've been calling every game. First I was told it is NBC Sports Boston's fault, but I can find the hacked raw feed online and it's pristine.  So I stopped at a friends house with fios and it looks great. This is definitely compression due to bandwidth limits comcast has set on this channel. After resetting my boxes to no effect, I was told I had to have an appt to have someone look at it. The support guy doesn't even have a screen to look at it. Sigh.

So someone is coming. He will definitely see it on my 110" screen. I've got a recording of the game too. But jeez there must be a better way for them to look at and see what they are transmitting than coming to my house. Is there?

If your television is a UHD "smart" television, you should be able to select source and view what resolution is being input on that channel. Since NBC is 1080i for OTA, on cable Comcast would supply 1080i in MPEG2. For X1 series boxes this conversion from the box creates an inferior picture. The larger the screen size, the worse the resulting picture will be.

If you have an antenna, you will find the local NBC channel will look better over the air, than that cable channel. Using the NBC app will give you a Blu-ray quality (1080p) on their regular shows in On Demand fashion.

I suspect this type of problem may only be resolved when some of these channels are output in 1080P under MPEG4. They output only up to 720P in MPEG4 currently.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

This is NBC SPorts Boston which used to be comcast sports net boston (CSN Boston). I cannot get it over the air. But your explanation is interesting. Does it apply to this former CSN channel?

Expert

@dsm1212 wrote:

This is NBC SPorts Boston which used to be comcast sports net boston (CSN Boston). I cannot get it over the air. But your explanation is interesting. Does it apply to this former CSN channel?

Yes. That channel is 720p currently.

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Frequent Visitor

I switched my box to 720P to see if maybe the upscaler was causing the poor quality, but it is no different. All the blurry hair, jagged edges to me says over compressed. The commercials appear better, but I know they are mixed in separately so that doesn't really tell me much.

steve

Expert

@dsm1212 wrote:

I switched my box to 720P to see if maybe the upscaler was causing the poor quality, but it is no different. All the blurry hair, jagged edges to me says over compressed. The commercials appear better, but I know they are mixed in separately so that doesn't really tell me much.

steve

There is one thing that might be happening here.

Sometimes when I use the search feature to find a particular football game on my Cisco RNG150N cable-box, the channel pulled up is the lowest channel: i.e. Big10 SD (in 480p) instead of Big10 HD (720 p). In this case I see the inferior picture. My Samsung TV can read the source to confirm 480p.

In this case the HD channel is one higher so using the channel + gets me to the HD channel with the better picture. This might be similar to what you describe with your cable-box.

Frequent Visitor

The channel is over-compressed..  I was watching Patriots pre-game coverage last night on that station, and some of the faces of the commentators looked waxed.  I have a 48" 1080p TV.  Setting the X1 box to 720p and 1080p resulted in no noticable differences.

If you have an Apple TV or a Roku Box, I would download the NBC Sports app and watch Celtics games through that.  It'll probably result in a better picture. 

Expert

@kar901 wrote:

The channel is over-compressed..  I was watching Patriots pre-game coverage last night on that station, and some of the faces of the commentators looked waxed.  I have a 48" 1080p TV.  Setting the X1 box to 720p and 1080p resulted in no noticable differences.

If you have an Apple TV or a Roku Box, I would download the NBC Sports app and watch Celtics games through that.  It'll probably result in a better picture. 

Yes it would since any of the NBC apps are sending the signal over the Internet, 1080p (Blu-ray quality). Many commecials might be only 480p so they may look worse.

New Poster

Not sure about the techno answer, but wholly agree with the OP on the horrible quality of the picture on 852 for the Celtics games this season. Like watching with dirty contact lenses. Sports on other channels are crystal sharp.
Frequent Visitor

I just posted earlier tonight..and just now found your post. Here's what I wrote earlier:

Tonight trying to enjoy Celtics-Raptors game. Impossible with contstant blurriness primarily in middle 50% of screen from left to right. Player faces, legs, jersey numbers..all randomly blurry. This is 2nd consecutive experience with this watching a Celtics game. No issues prior to this. My TV is a Sony Bravia 55" 4k .. purchased within last year.  Cables are fine, TV has had zero adjustments. Now, in my googling, I see avalanches of threads about Comcast and "compressing" amd MPEG-4, etc.. Please, someone tell me this issue is going to stop?????

and the link:

https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/X1/Comcast-Sports-Net-channel-852-X1-greater-Boston-BLURRY/m-p/3163408...

Frequent Visitor

EXACTLY.. tonight's game vs Raptors: blurry faces, legs, jerseys.. constantly

Frequent Visitor

So to summarize.. as a customer of Comcast I have done nothing differently except continue to pay $270+ per month .. and somehow it is up to me to find a workaround for this NEW and ridiculous blurriness during Celtics broadcasts on 852?  Nice.

Frequent Visitor

The Toronto game was cast on both 852 and espn. Espn was great, 852 was the usual blocky mess. I’ve been looking at other options. I don’t know who is at fault but the pic is also bad on the nbc sports Boston roku app. It might be their source doing it and not Comcast but we need Comcast to pursue it.
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Thanks, dsm1212.. last night's game vs. Utah was same blurry mess ..  I realized after the fact that Toronto game was on ESPN and wondered how the picture had been. Thanks for that info!  I'm not holding my breath on any resolution. Apparently you & I and one other are only people who have noticed?? 

Frequent Visitor

I agree with dsm1212 re: Friday's Celtics game.  The game was on both ESPN and NBC Sports Boston, and I could see a noticable difference in picture quality between the two.  On ESPN, I could see the detail on the TD Garden parquet floor and the white netting on each basketball hoop.  On NBC Sports Boston, they looked like a blurred mess.

For the record, I have a 48" 1080p TV.  The other regional sports channel in this region (NESN, channel 851) looks great during Bruins and Red Sox games.

Frequent Visitor

I noticed tonight there was no blurriness.. away game at Charlotte. Issue with TD Garden equipment?

Frequent Visitor

It was a little better the last two games, but still not good. I think someone may have up'd the bandwidth allocation a little. I still cannot tell if it is comcast or NBCSB who is at fault, but I will say the NBCSB app on roku is no better. That should have nothing to do with Comcast, so I've been thinking it is an NBCSB issue. I started a chat session on Facebook with them but after an initial response they have ignored me. We need comcast to make the case with them.

steve

Frequent Visitor

Another datapoint is that I did a 7 day trial subscription with youtubetv and nbcsb was also poor there during the game.

Expert

@dsm1212 wrote:

Another datapoint is that I did a 7 day trial subscription with youtubetv and nbcsb was also poor there during the game.

The problem might come from equipment used at the arena. Transmitting from there might be a problem caused by construction, or other building in the area.

New Poster

Same experience here.

It seems like the downgrade in broadcast happened with the new lights that were installed in the arena, but who knows - as another said, there is so much construction around there.

Tags (2)
Frequent Visitor

I've been trialing YouTube TV for the past week.  The NBC Sports Boston feed from YouTube TV (through an Apple TV) looked significantly better than the feed from my X1 DVR.  That, coupled with imminent increases to the Broadcast TV and Regional Sports fees, is enough motivation to cancel Xfinity TV service.

Contributor

It's not you guys.  I saw the same with ESPN vs. NBCSB feeds.   Where I was had Directv and the picture was fine first half of the game.  Once I got home, I had the same issues as you.  Whether its NBCSB or Comcast, does that matter?  I thought Comcast owned NBC, so it's one of the same.

Frequent Visitor

Tonight's game against Milwaukee .. worse than ever. Blurry faces, legs, arms ... that's on my 4k Sony Bravia. However, streaming xfinity on my computer I don't see same blurriness .. so I give up

Official Employee

Hi All, 

Thanks for posting to the Xfinity Forum. Sorry for the experience you're having. I'd like to investigate each account to see if I'm able to isolate a cause for the issues you're having. In order to assist you, please send me a private message verifying your first and last name, as well as the name of the account holder if it's different than yours.  

To send a private message click on my name "ComcastChe", then click send a message. 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Frequent Visitor

PQ of this station on Hulu tonight is great while on Xfinity it is still bad. My only reason for sticking with cable is local sports so I've given up. My phone number ported out of comcast yesterday to a mobile phone and should be on Google Voice tomorow. I'm returning the cable equipment on saturday and will just use comcast for internet until 5G gets deployed in my area. Then I'll be done with Comcast. I also picked up a HDHomeRun to pull perfect quality recordings OTA since I still have an antenna off my house. Works fantastic with Plex.

steve

New Poster

Awful quality for me, again, tonight. Everything was blurry on the wide camera - arms, legs, faces, the crowd, etc.. Something is very wrong.

Official Employee

Hi @dsm1212

Sorry for the experience you've had and the fact that we were not able to make this better for you.

@BedBug1212, I can take a deeper look into your issues. In order to assist you, please send me a private message verifying your first and last name, as well as the name of the account holder if it's different than yours.  

To send a private message click on my name "ComcastChe", then click send a message. 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
New Poster

@ComcastChe

I have the same issue. It is so infuriating that I can’t watch and enjoy the games on NBC Sports Boston. When they are aired on other channels the games are clear.
Frequent Visitor

Last night, I saw a re-cap of Celtics game on channel 807, WHDH. I have no problem on that channel. They showed replays from the game (from 852) during the sports segment and the same blurry legs, faces etc .. lol.  Seems that would indicate problem with 852, not with users' equipment, connections, etc.

Expert

@johnq2011 wrote:

Last night, I saw a re-cap of Celtics game on channel 807, WHDH. I have no problem on that channel. They showed replays from the game (from 852) during the sports segment and the same blurry legs, faces etc .. lol.  Seems that would indicate problem with 852, not with users' equipment, connections, etc.

Yes.   It would indicate that something is wrong with the equipment used by owners of channel 852, or with transmitting a decent signal from the arena.