Community Forum

NBA League Pass in HD 2015-2016 season?

Frequent Visitor

NBA League Pass in HD 2015-2016 season?

I've been reading that in the past the NBA League Pass has had only 1 channel in HD on Comcast.  I am considering switching from Directv to Comcast for my television but that's a huge deal-breaker if so. I've subscribed to NBALP for the past 10 years or so and Directv has been HD on all the games for many years.  We watch 75% of our tv on NBALP (and 20% on our local sports channels).

Anyone have any info on this?  

Tags (1)
New Poster

NBA League Pass HD

I don't understand how you dont have NBA games in HD, I though I made a smart move switching from dish network but now I am second guessing myself.

Are you ever going to have NBA League Pass in HD? The whole point of sports is to watch in HD, Please let me know.

Thank You

New Poster

Re: NBA League Pass HD

I agree.  DirecTV offers most of its NBA League Pass games in HD.  If Xfinity doesn't, then we  Xfinity customers are paying the same price for an inferior product.  I hope this gets rectified.

New Poster

100% agree.  I was about to call and order the League Pass, but then I was wondering if it would be HD.  Quickly looking at the guide and finding a few threads like this answered my question.  This is 2011/2012 - there's NO WAY I pay $171.80 for the package just to watch it in standard definition.  Comcast needs to wake up / wise up and add more of EVERYTHING in HD, including this package... or I might need to switch providers.

New Poster

omfg.... i found this thread looking for the hd channels of league pass... just AFTER  i signed up.... wasted money to watch standard def??? what a joke.... soon as this is over i am switching   i can't believe they don't have the games in HD. if it is available why can't you let us watch it. 

Frequent Visitor

Problem is Comcast does not have the bandwidth to carry all the NBA League Pass games in HD. Most systems have 1 or 2 channels that show league Pass in HD. They should offer the package at half price because most of the games are in SD. Lots of Comcast systems cleared out all their analog channels too make more room for HD channels yet they dont think it is a priority to add more HD channels to the sports packages. Besides direct tv most cable providers dont have many channels in HD for the sports packages and who wants too watch sports in crappy SD.

New Poster

How we do we get comcast to make the change!! I AGREE I JUST CANCELLED MY DIRECT TV BECAUSE COMCAST HAS LEAGUE PASS NOW BUT NO HD!! I MIGHT HAVE TO CALL DTV BACK.....

Problem Solver

Re: NBA League Pass in HD 2015-2016 season?

Don't think so man stick with Direct tv.

Frequent Visitor

Well someday maybe Comcast will realize it is keeping people from using their tv product.  Definitely will keep my family away.  Thanks for the reply!

Regular Visitor

If Comcast ever had all channels in HD, I'd buy the full League Pass.

If this ever changes, can someone please update this thread?

Frequent Visitor

Been saying this for years now, it is unacceptable for all games not to be in HD especially when the NBA offers it to Comcast.  Last 2 years I ended up buying NBA league pass from Directv and will continue to do so once again this year until Comcast ups their HD offering.  It sucks too with the new sports app would be awesome to just pop that open and swap from game to game seamlessly.  Any employees have any inside info on this, are we getting more HD channels for league pass?
Regular Visitor

They also rip people off with MLB Extra Innings, offering only 2 of 17 channels in HD.

New Poster

Where's NBA League Pass? The pre-season has already started and I see games listed on your guide?

Frequent Visitor

I've been researching the same thing last few days.  I saw preseason games on the guide so I called about ordering LP, they said its not availble yet?  Can anyone with Comcast chime in here to advise when NBA LP will be available for ordering?  And answer question about number of HD channels for games this year?  One is ridiculous. 

Gold Problem Solver

Matrixology wrote:

Where's NBA League Pass? The pre-season has already started and I see games listed on your guide?

Please see this ink:  http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Channels-and-Programming/when-does-the-NBA-League-pass-start/m-p/261730...

The Support Forums are "public" forums and you should not post identifiable information (full name, account number, address, phone numbers & email addresses).  Users of these forums are Comcast customers,the same as you & me and volunteer their time to assist with the issues and/or problems that you may be experiencing.  Please ensure your post is in the correct Forum to begin with.  Please do not send me Private Messages for personal help but instead use the Forums to allow everyone to read and offer comments to assist you.  Comcast employees are identified with RED lettered User Names.

Gold Problem Solver

maxcrowbar wrote:

I've been researching the same thing last few days.  I saw preseason games on the guide so I called about ordering LP, they said its not availble yet?  Can anyone with Comcast chime in here to advise when NBA LP will be available for ordering?  And answer question about number of HD channels for games this year?  One is ridiculous. 

PLease see this link for when LP will be available:  http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Channels-and-Programming/when-does-the-NBA-League-pass-start/m-p/261730...

The Support Forums are "public" forums and you should not post identifiable information (full name, account number, address, phone numbers & email addresses).  Users of these forums are Comcast customers,the same as you & me and volunteer their time to assist with the issues and/or problems that you may be experiencing.  Please ensure your post is in the correct Forum to begin with.  Please do not send me Private Messages for personal help but instead use the Forums to allow everyone to read and offer comments to assist you.  Comcast employees are identified with RED lettered User Names.

New Poster

I just ordered NBA League Pass for the 5th year in a row from Comcast.  There is only 1 HD channel this year and it is shared with NHL Center Ice.  NBA league pass is now channel 457-470. 

It's the 2015-2016 season.  This is downright embarrassing to not provide HD.  NBA provides 100% HD availability to Comcast too (I've done the calling and research in the past b/c this issue was already embarrassing in 2010). 

The ONLY reason I use Comcast is b/c league pass blacks out all Blazer games (born in Portland, lifelong fan) in SEATTLE.  Yes, I now live 180 miles away, and it's still blacked out... And guess what?  Comcast has exclusive rights to Blazer games. Direct TV cannot offer Blazer games (on locate TV in Seattle).  Hands are tied and I'm not happy.  I have to watch the other 29 teams through PS4 and Apple TV, but as you know even with Comcast's best Internet it doesn't compare to HD TV signal.

Frequent Visitor

Holy crud. I just switched from DirecTV and had no idea the games were almost all going to be in SD. That is TERRIBLE. We have all got to spread the word in the faint hope it helps apply pressure. I am still jaw-on-the-floor stunned. This SUCKS.

New Poster

Oh yeah, it's truly terrible.  I remember 2010 was the first year I had the money to get league pass.  I was so excited to start watching more games.  I simply couldn't believe, in 2010 remember, that every game wasn't offered in HD.  I remember making posts asking how it was even possible.

It's going to be SD still in 2015-2016.  Simply unacceptable. 

I would HIGHLY recommend Direct TV to any sports fan unless you have a 'local' blackout for your favorite team that only cable can offer (IE: Blazers for me).  Direct TV always has all games in HD.  It has for years.  The second Comcast loses the Blazer monopoly, I'm out, assuming NBA League pass is still in SD.

Seriously, just think about it.  It's 2016.  Let that set in.  And a company, a huge cable company, still offers sports in SD only.  It's unfathomable.  I simply can't watch sports in SD.

Frequent Visitor

I feel bad for you 

Regular Visitor

Comcast has 10 channels for NBA League Pass, and 16 channels for MLB Extra Innings.

Out of those 26 channels, only 3 are in HD (1 for NBA League Pass, 2 for MLB Extra Innings).

New Poster

ok this is totally true and the most ridiculous thing i have ever experienced. I have had the NBA League Pass for a decade, of course HD has only been out for a portion of that time. 

I CANT SWITCH to Direct TV because Comcast has an exclusive contract with the Blazers. The NBA league pass shows 2 games in HD! I Just spent a half hour on the phone with them and they are clueless. someone in corporate has made a decision to NOT broadcast in HD when the feeds they are showing are themselves in HD! 

WHO CAN HELP CHANGE THIS?!!!

New Poster

I’ll jump in on the bandwagon here. I’m absolutely flabbergasted. I had League Pass via DirecTV in 2007…and not only were the games in HD, I could choose between broadcasting teams.

Meanwhile, in 2015 (!!!!!) XFinity is broadcasting all of the games in standard def, and there are no broadcasting team choices. AND, Xfinity charges $9.95 per month for “HD access” on top of all of that? Insulte to injury. 

Candidly, I’m shocked that this forum string isn’t way way longer just given the absurdity.

Unfortunately I can’t switch to DirectTV because we live in a building and our patio faces the wrong way…and there’s no roof access. So, it is what it is. And of course there’s been issues with getting digital access (apple TV, computer, etc.) squared away because my account number isn’t recognized at nba.com/activate?

Still. TWO. THOUSAND. FIFTEEN. This is unbelievable to me.

New Poster

This string started in 2011.... and it's now the 2015-16 nba season. And still no HD. Nor is there the ability to select your preferred broadcasting team.

That is slapstick comedy.

Regular Visitor

You can select the home or away braodcasting team through the NBA Broadband app.

But not through TV, you have to just monitor the channels and hope the game is on multiple channels, which means multiple feeds.

Contributor

JayQu:  Candidly, I’m shocked that this forum string isn’t way way longer just given the absurdity.

In some senses the "threads" are actually very long, it's just split into multiple levels.  I'm posting hear in regards to NBA.  I've also posted in a separate NHL Center Ice forum in regards to the same issue.  Continue to research and you will find the same sentiment for MLB Extra Innings and even a little bit for MLS.  Continue to research and look at ESPN Game Plan, Buzzer Beater are all SD only.  There are also many pages in reagrds to the Sports Channel BeIn not being offered in HD.  Also the Fox Sports 2 crowd has their own page about the channel not even being offered, never mind in HD.

I have no idea how to "unite" the threads so that maybe Comcast will look at all the sports (which we are willing to pay a premium amount for) and offer them in HD, like their competition.  Right now each subsection looks small and as such Comcast doesn't care, or as I've seen in other posts, will actually tell you to switch providers if you are unsatisfied.

Finally, the closest I ever got to an answer was a little over a year ago when I went in person to a local Comcast store.  I asked them and the worker told me that comcast has the capability and space to open up all the HD channels, but choose not to because ultimately it is not cost effective for their company.

Regular Contributor

Lets not forget the MLB Extra inning fiasco where Comcast runs advertisements for the new season where they go on and on about how MLB.TV is now included-except it isn't when you purchase the service.   Of course every other provider does include it.

My guess for the reasoning behind this is that Comcast doesn't want subscribers to get used to seeing all games in that new fangled HD that everyone is talking about- which MLB.TV provides for ALL games.  Then subscribers wouldn't buy the Comcast package anymore.

New Poster

We've had the NBA Leauge Pass with Direct TV since 2009 and recently switched over to Comcast.  After watching the free week preview in SD (for the most part), we decided to refrain from spending $200 for the outdated broadcast.  To be honest, I'd rather be subjected to watching the OWN Network for 2 painful hours rather than watch any sports event in SD.

I do like all of the other features comcasts has initiated since I left in 2009 so this isn't a showstopper.  I just find it quite surprising they'd go throw-back to SD at this day an age. Smiley Sad

Regular Visitor

Is there somewhere where we can email Comcast?

Regular Visitor

I ordered NBA League Pass.  In the past, I've had LP Digital Broadband, but since they changed the pricing plan to either only have 1 team or all teams, I couldn't do 1 team anymore.

This time I ordered through cable.

I asked the sales rep how many channels would be in HD. Even though I already knew the answer.

He couldn't tell me. He just said the games would be in HD depending on where the game was played.

I asked "But aren't there certain channels that will be in HD, and thus it will depend on whether the games are on those channels?"

He said "yes, but I can't tell you which of those channels are in HD. I can only tell you the channel numbers. 440-452, and 460."

I had been ready to complain at how few channels were in HD, but since he couldn't give me a number at how few channels there were, my complaint wouldn't go anywhere. He probably would have just said that he can't verify how many channels were in HD, and so I don't think my complaint wouldn't move past him without him being able to verify that.

I'm not sure how my existing NBA.com account will link to League Pass. He said it would ask to select my provider, and I would log in that way. But I don't know, I didn't do that before when using LP Digital.

New Poster

I'm dumbfounded by this. I just canceled Dish Network service a few days ago because I could save a lot of money by combining my Comcast cable Internet service with TV service. I had NBA League Pass for the first time last season on Dish Network and loved it. There never was any question about standard definition vs. HD with Dish's League Pass -- everything was HD.

So yesterday Comcast came to my house and set up my new TV service. Later in the day I ordered League Pass and tonight I settled in to watch a couple games. The Houston/Sacramento game is HD and looks awesome. But the Bucks/Lakers game is SD and looks awful. (The only thing that helps is Gus Johnson doing the announcing.)

I scrolled through similar comments in this thread and can't believe what I just signed up for. Although I have nothing against Dish, I was really excited about trying out TV service with Comcast. But I feel like I just began day 1 of a 2-year prison sentence. Ugh. Looks like I'll be going back to Dish in a couple years.

New Poster

Comcast allows you to cancel the service and the League Pass within 30 days ...

New Poster

Each year I have contacted Comcast about their having only 1 HD channel. Each year I am given the royal run around. They contend they are "working on it." Well, they have been "working on it" for far too long.

I do not expect the 2016-2017 season to be any different. I do not plan to contact them again about this issue. It does no good.

I have considered changing to Direct TV...just have not done it. They have so many League Pass options. 

I also find it annoying that every year you have to wait until the day of the first games to sign up for the pass. How hard could it possibly be to make it available sooner.

Regular Visitor

Thanks.

I hope some day they offer both NBA League Pass, and MLB Extra Innings / NHL Center Ice, in HD.

Frequent Visitor

Its 2016 and this still hasn't been solved, LOL.  I think I came here in 2010 and started posting why aren't these games in HD.  How is everything not HD these days?  Guess I am ordering NBA league pass through Directv AGAIN.

New Poster

good thing you dont live in Portland. You can't get Direct TV becayse Comcast Sports Net NW , the channel that broadcasts all Blazer games has an exclusive contract with Comcast. However, to make things more crazy, now Century Link in 2016 has a new TV service that is much cheaper then comcast and equally as good AND has CSNNW but somehow DOESN"T HAVE NBA LEAGUE PASS!

New Poster

Ladies and Gentlemen,

The year is TWO THOUSAND SEVENTEEN.  I repeat, 2-0-1-7.  The 2017-2018 NBA season will begin in just about a month.  Will Comcast offer more than one HD channel?  Naaahhhhhh. 

I contacted NBA.com (customer support is mindbogglingly worse than Comcast), and I was assured that 100% of all NBA feeds are in HD (duh).  When I called Comcast and let them know, I was told Comcast chooses not to provide HD for cost savings.

I think I'll go NBA League Pass streaming only (same cost) just out of spite.

*slow clap for Comcast

Regular Visitor

teleteeps wrote:

Ladies and Gentlemen,

The year is TWO THOUSAND SEVENTEEN.  I repeat, 2-0-1-7.  The 2017-2018 NBA season will begin in just about a month.  Will Comcast offer more than one HD channel?  Naaahhhhhh. 

I contacted NBA.com (customer support is mindbogglingly worse than Comcast), and I was assured that 100% of all NBA feeds are in HD (duh).  When I called Comcast and let them know, I was told Comcast chooses not to provide HD for cost savings.

I think I'll go NBA League Pass streaming only (same cost) just out of spite.

*slow clap for Comcast

How did you contact NBA.com?  Email? 

Same with Comcast.  Phone, or chat?  Who was the name of the representative that told you they choose not to do it over cost savings?  I'm just curious as to who would be that forthcoming.

MLB Extra Innings has the same problem.  Out of 16 channels, only 2 are in HD.

I had NBA LP Broadband from 2008-2015.  When they changed their pricing model to not allow the 5 team plan, I got the full LP, even though I knew I would be getting mostly SD channels.  That was why I didn't get full LP initialy in 2008.

Last season, I didn't get any LP.  I just relied on national TV games.

On another note, Audio Pass used to be free, I think througn 2014 or 2015.  Now that costs money too.  I used to like using Audio Pass when I couldn't stream.