Community Forum

Missing local radio stations from channel lineup

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Missing local radio stations from channel lineup

Today I discovered that local radio stations were no longer on my channel lineup. I live in Berkeley California and as recently as last Saturday had local FM stations on my channel list. However today they were gone. I contacted xfinity tech support and they said several people had reported this issue. I’m wondering how widespread this is and/or if anyone else has a solution. Thanks in advance.
Regular Visitor

Radio stations

What happened to the radio stations that were above channel 950?

Frequent Visitor

Re: Missing local radio stations from channel lineup

i live in Castro Valleey CA and have the same problem with loss of KQED radio and other radio stations.

When I called support they were not aware of the change and not really aware there had been radio stations in the channel lineup. They suggested using iHeart radio or the internet app, but it is not carried on iHeart (except a few podcasts) and a pain to get to with the internet app.

PLEASE RESTORE DIRECT ACCESS TO RADIO STATIONS.

New Poster

Re: Radio stations

I just discovered the missing channels as well. It's time to reconsider my cable options. I really liked them
New Poster

Yes it is a problem in Marin and I have contacted their customer support and they called this morning and are putting their Tier two team on it!  Here is some history:

https://www.sfgate.com/business/article/Comcast-to-restore-30-FM-radio-stations-Some-2625920.php

New Poster

This article is from 2005

Frequent Visitor

Me too and Comcast said all the fm stations were not available on my package
New Poster

Radio stations

Couple of days ago we lost all access to radio stations. We listen to Kdfc classical radio through our Comcast service 24 hours a day,  except when we listen to Kqed radio or a few others for special shows. Please restore our direct access to radio stations through Comcast Xfinity. If it is not restored soon I will need to install other streaming services throughout My home and get rid of  Xfinity. 

New Poster

Comcast again refuses to serve the public and keep the local radio stations. Time to change cable companies. 

New Poster

Local radio station channels removed?

Hi so I usually wake up in the morning and listen to the local radio through the TV.  Yesterday night I go to turn on the TV and to my surprise all the channels with local radio are gone. Is this a mistake or have the channels been officially removed?

Silver Problem Solver

Re: Local radio station channels removed?

I don't remember cable carrying local radio for a long time. Were they treated like local channels? Maybe they were a local TV station's subchannels that Comcast was passing on?

New Poster

Same here. I'm so angry about this I'm trying to find where to send a scathing complaint into Comcast.  It's not like we haven't been paying for this all along.  I live in a valley with very poor over-the-air reception.  iHeart radio doesn't carry everything I want to listen to.  Its just really ridiculous Comcast discontinued the FM neighborhood.  

I called day before yesterday and was told (a) this is a channel lineup change, sorry then when I escalated was told (b) this is a known system error and they're working on it.  Yeah.  

Frequent Visitor

At first I thought it was a technical problem, but an hour on the phone with a technician or three confirmed it is not.  I do have an appointment this afternoon with a technician, but I believe it is a policy decision, and if so, <Edited for violating forum guidelines>, as well as the stations we love and which are now missing; for me they are especially KQED, KDFC, KPFA, KCSM.   

Frequent Visitor

My Comcast subscription package for years included 29 digital FM radio stations.  They abruptly disappeared this week.

Frequent Visitor

elimination of digital FM radio from Comcast package

I thought I had a technical problem for the past several days,  and had an hour on the phone on Wednesday Jan 16 with technicians regarding my inability to receive local digital FM radio stations on Comcast; I will see a technician this afternoon.  However, it seems that Comcast has summarily and without explanation eliminated these channels from their lineup, and I want to know why, and demand that they return.  Local stations like KQED, KDFC, KPFA, and KCSM are vital community assets and should be part of subscriber packages along with the other 25 or so channels.  I will be mailing these station executives, as well as my legislators, mayors, supervisors to demand Comcast return these FM stations to the air.

Frequent Visitor

As I said in my earlier post a few minutes ago, I believe it is a policy decision and technical support will not help us with this.  <Edited for violating forum guidelines>

New Poster

You are correct - this is a policy decision.  We also lost our FM stations in Pleasant Hill and were told by customer service that Comcast did not renew their FM carrier contract.  This is not the first time that Comcast made a decision to cut FM service.  I sent a letter to the SF Chronicle hoping they would report on the story. 

If Comcast were a public carrier they would be required to provide FM radio as a public service.

Many use it for local news and emergency services. 

Regular Visitor

Comcast’s decision to remove FM stations..again

Dear Comcast management,

Hopefully you read this post on your Forum board. Perhaps you’ve seen a few anxious and even angry posts by your customers regarding your unilateral decision to remove FM channels from your lineup. I have read that this isn’t the first time you’ve done this.

In this day and age of people cutting cable in favor of services such as Roku, Apple TV, etc, do you think it was a wise decision to remove FM radio stations from your lineups? I’d counsel a quick answer: no!

Please reverse your decision. My son and daughter have been on us to dump Comcast for two years now and your actions may well be the impetus for us to do so. I’m not one for threats but if these channels do. It return by the end of January, I will become an ex-Comcast customer.

Sincerely, Todd <Edited for violating forum guidelines>

Frequent Visitor

kqed-FM

https://ww2.kqed.org/transmitterstatus/2019/01/16/kqed-fm-on-comcast-services/

Comcast in San FRancisco stopped running kqed FM and I am very upset. This is the only way I can get kqed in some rooms, and my service has been downgraded. Several other people I know are talking about it too. Bring it back!!

Frequent Visitor

If you find a good place to call or write, please share! The tech dept stinks regarding this issue.

New Poster

Re: Comcast’s decision to remove FM stations..again

I would so much like an alternative to Comcast.  The removal of the local FM radio stations may be the push I needed.  I am furious.

New Poster

I am missing the FM radio stations in Concord. I really hope this isn't a permanent thing, I listen to the radio on all my TV'S!!
Frequent Visitor

To those who, like me, accessed and appreciated the FM stations that provided radio via television speakers, with a strong signal and easy access, <Edited for violating forum guidelines> - and hope for responses from the stations themselves (for me, I'll write to KQED, KPFA, KDFC, KCSM) as well as to our mayors, supervisors, representatives, and Comcast management.  The technician who came to my house yesterday talked on speaker phone with his supervisor, and I was in on the call.  I was told that in the "notification section" of the November bill we were informed that the FM stations would be eliminated.  I had not noticed this myself, so the removal this week was totally unexpected for me.  Yes, I could "stream" because I have a computer, or tune in on the radio, but I believe this "free service" (according to Comcast) should be made available to its subscribers, not all of whom have computers or even radios by the way,  and will still make an effort to get the FM stations back.  <Edited for violating forum guidelines>

Regular Visitor

I cannot speak for others on this thread but I am at the end of my Comcast experience. There are just too many reasonably priced and very good alternatives to using Comcast cable TV. It’s a shame but enough is enough. I can save a ton of money each month by cutting the cable cord and if it means investing in a high quality FM receiver to regain KQED, KDFC, etc then so be it. I’ll recoup the money spent on the radio in savings per month in no time.

Good luck to everyone on here who’ll try to convince Comcast to re-add FM radio to the channel lineup. It’s like talking to a brick wall <Edited for violating forum guidelines>

Cheers!

New Poster

I called Comcast this morning and KDFC, and all local radio stations have been removed from Comcast, and KDFC stated this was a decision they had no say or control over, and they are likely not returning, which is a shame because I listen all the time and was wondering why this decision was ever made. It’s a real shame, <Edited for violating forum guidelines>.

New Poster

I checked my prior bills and this notice appeared in the un-titled page 4 of my December 5, 2018 bill:

“Beginning January 15, 2019, FM Radio will no longer be available in Limited Basic”

That notice did not appear in prior bills or in the most recent bill.

As I have Digital Preferred, I presumed it didn’t apply to my subscription…evidently the notice is deceptive and it applies to all subscriptions.

New Poster

I’m very unhappy.
Frequent Visitor

Re: elimination of digital FM radio from Comcast package

Living in Marin this was such a needed method of receiving FM radio. Shame on Comcast.

Contributor

With over three hours of online chats today, this is what I've been told:

"I apologize for any inconvenience this has caused you. We removed FM Radio from our line-up because we no longer have the capability to carry it. You can check to see if there is any comparable programming on the IHeartRadio App on your X1 Receiver. -Ben"

Does anyone have an email list that we can use to protest this egregious move?  Give me back my KQED FM!

Contributor

Contact us anytime, and please have your account number available. How to reach us. Contact us online Chat: xfinity.com/chat Twitter: @ComcastCares Facebook: Facebook.com/xfinity Reach us by phone Toll Free: 1-800-xfinity Reach us by mail If you write to us, be sure to include your name, address, and account number. Please refer to your monthly cable statement for the Comcast store nearest you, CA. Contact your local franchise authority If you wish to contact your local franchise authority, please refer to the information in this Welcome Kit or on your monthly statement. How to have utility lines marked Know what’s below (ground). Call 811. Reach us in person Feel free to come to our service center(s): Please refer to your monthly cable statement for the Comcast Store nearest you. For a complete list of Comcast Store locations, please visit www.xfinity.com

Frequent Visitor

I too am furious about this <Edited for violating forum guidelines>.  I live in Rossmoor, Walnut Creek.  It is a valley and there is no acceptable radio reception through the air.  Comcast removed an entire service from their line-up, a sevice that has been a de facto part of their contract for many years (more than 10 years that I can personally vouch for) with NO advance notice, NO negotiations, NO compensation to clients for the loss of a service that will cost money to replace from another source.  They simply want to use the band-width for services that will earn them more money.  <Edited for violating forum guidelines> They will only respond if they fear losing money and clients.  I and many others in this community have relied on the radio service for many years.  <Edited for violating forum guidelines>

Frequent Visitor

Yes I will join you.  See my posting below (rhodakes).  <Edited for violating forum guidelines>

Frequent Visitor

Thanks for your response.  <Edited for violating forum guidelines> The emails I have received from KPFA Engineer and from KDFC tell us that there seems to be nothing they can do about it.  Who can do something about it?  <Edited for violating forum guidelines> If you have ideas and email addresses, please share.

<Edited for violating forum guidelines>

New Poster

Yes, sometime in 2018 Comcast decided to remove all FM channels, without saying anything to anyone. Including their tech support people who take calls about this.  Unbelievable.

Only by studying past printed "channel lineup" brochures was I able to figure out that Compast first simply removed the 951-999 FM channel reference in brochures. This reference never listed particular FM radio channels, only that something "FM" existed.  Then the reference to "FM" disappeared in promotional material.  Then all actual FM channels disappeared for everyone sometime in January, 2019.

Even yesterday, <Edited for violating forum guidelines>  Poor "Doug" in tech support is still trying to figure out where "my" FM radio stations went.  

There are plenty of customers who care a lot more about getting radio stations than most of the useless "channels" that still remain. <Edited for violating forum guidelines>.  

New Poster

It's a pain to pull out the phone and hook up to the bose sound bar through bluetooth and wait for streaming app of your choice to load up and pull up kqed or Kdfc, two of my faves. At times, I cant even stream all local radio stations through the same app, as in KMEL, which doesnt stream though TuneIn; it only streams in Iheart. They do have the NPR One App available for X1 customers. I demand a price reduction.
Frequent Visitor

FM radio service

Why did Comcast drop FM Radio service from its Digital Preferred package for Rossmoor residents? Mitzi <Edited for violating forum guidelines> said Music Choice would remain despite many other music options. She gave no reason for dropping digital FM services. I cannot get good radio reception for FM stations, and I depended on NPR stations for unbiased news and information. Please resume offering this service to Rossmoor residents. If it is not, I will urge the Rossmoor governance to drop Comcast and get cable service that includes FM service, especially NPR.

Frequent Visitor

Very interesting.  Have you contacted Comcast management through email.  I will be doing that.  I have contacted the Supervisor for my district in Marin County. <Edited for violating forum guidelines>  Documenting is good; we know it isn't a technical issue, but a policy problem, so now we need to try and make the change we want.  

Frequent Visitor

Re: Comcast’s decision to remove FM stations..again

What else can we do to get this service back, or must we seek another carrier?

New Poster

I am very upset about this as well.

I have been listening to KQED through Comcast for many years.

I called, the person said there was a conversation going on between the radio stations and Comcast.

I contacted KQED radio and they toldme that Comast decided to elimiate FM radio stations from their line-up effective Jan 2019 and that customers were notified in a previous bill.

I do nt look at my bill, I pay online so I did not see that notice.

I have emailed, called & written a letter to Comcast asking them to explain ths decision and to restore the radio stations to their line-up.

<Edited for violating forum guidelines>

Until then, I listen to KQED live on the computer.

JJ 

New Poster

I have spent the last 3 days trading ECARE email with Allan A in customer service.  Comcast has dropped all FM Radio service from TV packages.  I was referred to the Additional Information section of my last bill.  It says that beginning January 15, 2019, FM Radio will no longer be available in Limited Basic and Comcast believes that constitutes adequate notice.  But I am not limited basic I replied.  Response: limited basic is part of your tv service. Customer Service also claimed that FM Radio was dropped because Comcast no longer has the capability to carry it.  I have let Comcast know via ECARE that I want my FM radio back.  I have also found emails for Tom <Edited for violating forum guidelines>, Senior VP of Customer Service  <Edited for violating forum guidelines> and Charlie <Edited for violating forum guidelines>, Chief Customer Experience Office, <Edited for violating forum guidelines>.  Plan to send emails to them as well.

New Poster

I just noticed as well and can’t find anything online. I don’t like the music channels that are thwre
Frequent Visitor

Re: FM radio service

I too live in Rossmoor, Walnut Creek (see my other posts on this subject).  I was told by Comcast that they will not deal with us directly, since their contract is with the Golden Rain Foundation.  <Edited for violating forum guidelines>, who negotiated the contract with Comcast.  <Edited for violating forum guidelines> the almost 10,000 Rossmoor residents will not tolerate this reduction in essential service without compensation to make up for the cost of obtaining this service from other sources., if Comcast refuses to restore this service.

I have problems with insomnia, and it is only by listening to the radio stations in my bedroom that I am able to get to sleep.  I have depended on this FM service for MORE THAN 10 YEARS.  I do not have a computer in my bedroom for streaming, and even if I did, the sound quality is unacceptable.

<Edited for violating forum guidelines>we will take action against the Golden Rain Foundation, if he does not make Comcast live up to their contract and restore the FM service OR pay compensation to enable a new service to replace it at no additional cost to us.

<Edited for violating forum guidelines>.  In 2005, it took months of complaints to force them to restore the Fm radio service.  No doubt, they view our comments as just the usual "noise" that will die down after a while.  <Edited for violating forum guidelines>

New Poster

Radio stations

I listened to local radio stations almost as much as watching TV. I really, really wish you would return to carrying those, especially KPFA!
New Poster

Greetings all. KCSM-FM was removed a few months back. We were the first to go but were informed by Comcast that all local FM stations were soon to be removed. It looks like it's happened. Their solution for Xfinity X1 subscribers is supposed to be that local stations will be available via the iHeart radio application at some point.  Doesn't appear to be in place yet. Just iHeart owned stations at this time I believe.

Frequent Visitor

Thanks for the Customer Service emails!  Very helpful if  many people let them know how we feel about the elimination of our FM radio from the channel lineup!

Frequent Visitor

Thank you for your tenacity.  What is the "Golden Rain Foundation" ?  Can you explain what you mean by Comcast having a contract with this foundation?  Is that a Rossmoor contract specifically?

Frequent Visitor

Golden Rain Foundation runs Rossmoor, and Comcast has a contract with Rossmoor.

Frequent Visitor

Yes, Rossmoor contract specifically.

Frequent Visitor

I miss the radio channels and I like Xfinity less now ☹️
Frequent Visitor

I spent most of the day on Monday fighting with Comcast about dropping the FM stations. What is the alternative in Rossmoor? We residents 
are under a contract that Rossmoor has with Comcast, and we all pay through our coupon. I will try to contact GRF and <Edited for violating forum guidelines>. Radio reception for FM is terrible here. Not fair!