Community Forum

MSNBC HAS GONE FROM OCCASIONAL FREEZING TO UNWATCHABLE

Frequent Visitor

MSNBC HAS GONE FROM OCCASIONAL FREEZING TO UNWATCHABLE

Getting aggravated with MSNBC (channel 901) occasionally freezing or going blank... yesterday I went to the comcast store and exchanged my kitchen HD box for a new one. I installed the box, and within hours the reception on MSNBC went from some static to totally freezing and pixelating with voice coming and going. It's not the tv, it works fine on all other channels I tried. It's not our cable connection because all the other boxes are working fine. The cable was installed by the Comcast tech, so was the splitter... about a year or more ago. The tv is about a year old... so this is frustrating. It's especially frustrating to see dozens and dozens of similar problems with MSNBC all over the country.

It's pretty much unwatchable, and it seems like a systemic comcast problem, otherwise every channel would exhibit the same problems. Everybody 10 seconds my picture on a UHD Samsung looks like the attached picture, and no voice.

IMG_6512.JPG
Gold Problem Solver

Re: MSNBC HAS GONE FROM OCCASIONAL FREEZING TO UNWATCHABLE

@Mike_MASS wrote: ... it seems like a systemic comcast problem, otherwise every channel would exhibit the same problems ...

You would think so, but the causes of these kinds of audio and video problems can affect a single channel, a group of channels, or all channels. All it takes is for the signal for the channel you are trying to watch to be too weak or have too much noise. Since your other sets are OK, most likely there is a poor connection somewhere along the coax line to that cable box. A bad cable box is also possible, but that's less likely.

Troubleshoot by checking the connectors at both ends of that coax cable for corrosion and tightness, and by looking for damage. Running the cable through a surge protector, a defective splitter, or too many splitters can cause signal problems as well. If there is an amplifier in the line make sure it's getting power.

If you can't find the problem, call them at the phone number on your bill or 1-800-Comcast, or chat with them using the TV Support option at https://support.xfinity.com/chat. Ask them to check the account setup and send a refresh signal to the box. If they can't fix the problem remotely, insist they send a tech out to identify the cause and correct it.

If the tech finds bad coax, splitters, amplifiers, or connections in your home (even if Comcast originally supplied them) you'll probably have to pay for the visit.

New Poster

With all do respect, Comcast keeps replying to the signal problem the same way with every customer...basically we pay for the signal but we can't get it, its weak or bad....not Comcast's problem. Not acceptable. 

New Poster

I was reading the concerns from a few other customers and they have the same concern/problem as I which is having a bad reception on the MSNBC channel and no other channels?  Comcast replies that a bad signal could impact one channel.  I find it hard to believe that a bad signal in various locations, to include different cities and states have the same problem on the same channel at the same time.  It is too coincidental and I am going to say what most are thinking, it is intentional to dissuade the viewers from watching the MSNBC channel because MSNBC has  very high ratings compared to the other news channels.  Comcast should not be involved in politics or persuade their political view on their customers; and although they would never admit it, this is what is happening.  

We pay for service to watch what we want, when we want; and we expect services to be rendered.  If Comcast has no intentions on correcting this problem, then tell your customers so we can choose to stay or choose to seek other services.  

Please fix the problem.  It is not on my end so there is no need for me to do anything on my end. Request action to be taken immediately.  

Expert

The problem with MSNBC, Fox, and a few channels near them has nothing to do with politics.

These HD channels just happen to be at a signal frequency that can easily pick up RF interference caused by water intrusion, other types of storm, fire, damage to transmission lines being used to route the cable to your neighbor hood and home. Animals can also damage lines if they chew on them. This being the case, find the SD channel in the lower number series. That should work but be in a lower resolution (480p).

I went through this two years ago when the transmission line (buried under ice and melting snow) need to be replaced, but not fixed until the frozen ground thawed. I spent a month watching these channels in SD, until the line was replaced.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

😂😂🤣...give me a break...that is the worst excuse i have ever heard.
Expert

@Cigarster wrote:
😂😂🤣...give me a break...that is the worst excuse i have ever heard.

No break for you.

With no information at all supplied, we can't help you.

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Frequent Visitor

I've been on the phone several times with Comcast, and the only thing that seems to "fix" the problem is to restart the main DVR box.  I did it a few days ago and everything is fine for now. IIRC, it wasn't freezing on FOX or CNN newscasts... or other channels.  It seems to be just MSNBC. If a reset of the main box resolves the issue for a week or two... I can't beleive that the cables, splitter (only one), or connections inside or outside the house are messed up.  The installer went through the system last year and made sure all connections were solid and he had good signal strength at the actual TVs.  Its just weird, and its obviously not limited to my personal experience when many people are seeing similar problems.

Gold Problem Solver

@Mike_MASS wrote: ... the only thing that seems to "fix" the problem is to restart the main DVR box. ...

Just guessing, but rebooting a cable box tends to cause a small electrical pulse to travel along the coax cable. The connection failures that cause signal problems are often microscopic, and tiny effects like a small current pulse can make a big (though often temporary) difference in signal characteristics.

... I can't beleive that the cables, splitter (only one), or connections inside or outside the house are messed up.  The installer went through the system last year ...

That was then, this is now. Stuff happens (connector oxidation & corrosion, cable damage, etc.) that you may not be aware of. Consider having a tech out to take a look at the problem. 

If the tech finds bad coax, splitters, amplifiers, or connections in your home (even if Comcast originally supplied them) you'll probably have to pay for the visit. If the trouble is due to a faulty Comcast cable box/DVR/digital adapter or anything outside your home, you shouldn't be charged.

Expert

In looking at your picture you posted back in June, It looks like you had a SD (standard digital 480p) channel you took the picture of. The video is not filling the screen.

What year and model is your Samsung UHD television?

Also; with your recent problem with the HD channel of MSNBC, were you able to watch the SD channel for MSNBC?  In my case in the past RF interference on the HD channel frequency did not affect the lower SD channel on a different frequency. And of course watching any 480p program needing to upscale to 2160p leaves a lot to be desired but is acceptable for video and audio, but it might be better left in letter-box (4:3) versus expanding to (16:9).

New Poster

I have this problem occasionally also.  What I have done to fix it is, go into, "Device settings > Power Preferences > Restart.".  This takes only a few minutes but, it works every time.  I find I have to do this approximately every two weeks or so.  

Gold Problem Solver

@Willis14218 wrote: ... I am going to say what most are thinking, it is intentional to dissuade the viewers from watching the MSNBC channel ...

Comcast owns MSNBC (see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MSNBC). Why would they sabotage their own channel?