Community Forum

MLB extra Innings blackout

Frequent Visitor

MLB extra Innings blackout

I can not watch the Phillies because it is blackout. The problem I have I live the Pirates area 17224. So MLB said I should be blackout from the pirates not the Phillies . Call Comcast 3 times had agents really had no clue what they are talking about. Actually kind of humorous with stupid explanations I received. I just want to watch the Phillies and there is no stations that covering them and I can’t buy a pkg to watch them and I live in the pirates territory. Comcast let me down. Any suggestions?
Gold Problem Solver

Re: MLB extra Innings blackout

I've never heard of "blackouts" in MLB coverage. There used to be blackouts in the NFL but they are gone. If you if in the Pirates market you should be able to see Pirates games. The MLB views that as your home market. It would make sense that if you want to see Phillies games you would have to buy an extra package.

I live in the Twin Cities and I get Twins games. If I wanted to watch Milwaukee or Chicago games I would need an extra package.

I was just on the Comcast website and it looks like you need to buy the MLB Extra Innings package.

FYI, MLB controls this stuff not Comcast.

@beefbag wrote:
I can not watch the Phillies because it is blackout. The problem I have I live the Pirates area 17224. So MLB said I should be blackout from the pirates not the Phillies . Call Comcast 3 times had agents really had no clue what they are talking about. Actually kind of humorous with stupid explanations I received. I just want to watch the Phillies and there is no stations that covering them and I can’t buy a pkg to watch them and I live in the pirates territory. Comcast let me down. Any suggestions?

Frequent Visitor

I have the extra innings package that’s the problem.
Gold Problem Solver

Honestly it sounds like your issue is with MLB not Comcast.

Like I said, I highly doubt Comcast has any control over this.

@beefbag wrote:
I have the extra innings package that’s the problem.

Frequent Visitor

I should have pointed out I have the mlb extra innings. The Phillies would be out of market game. The blackout is for so u watch the local affiliate that covers ur team in market team. MLB doesn’t blackout my game on Comcast. They told when those issues arose in the pass the person had the issue solved by Comcast.
Gold Problem Solver

If you are saying it worked in past but is not working now I would Call Comcast and register a trouble ticket.

Has it ever worked?
Frequent Visitor

What is a trouble ticket?
Gold Problem Solver

The person that you talk to on the phone registers a trouble ticket that gets forwarded to the real technicians.

Did it ever work? It's an important question.

Frequent Visitor

The supervisor I spoke to last night said he may be able to correct the problem dealing with something like the location something. I was on hold twice last night for an hour. I got disconnected both times. No one called me back the second time.
Gold Problem Solver

Once again, did it ever work?
Frequent Visitor

No never worked
Gold Problem Solver

OK I was just on MLB.TV web site. I have a better idea of what you are talking about. 

You are right in the middle of Philly and Pittsburgh. According to MLB the Pirates should be your blackout (I thought blackouts were a thing of the past). However I suspect you are attached to Comcast's Pittsburgh's market area and that system and that is the reason you see the Pirates and not the Phillies. 

Unless you move closer to the Philly market I don't see a fix for this. I HIGHLY doubt Comcast could change this just for you. They would have to move your entire market to the Philly system.

Frequent Visitor

I appreciate your help. It’s like u getting the MLB extra innings package. And u can’t watch the Brewers. Because ur channel will say blackout do to local market blackouts. Because they think ur in the Brewers area. So u think it’s MLB not Comcast?
Frequent Visitor

So I will not be able to see one Phillies game this year? It gets black out on espn, MLB network and MLB extra innings. I’m being treated as I’m in the Philly market. I’m not in the Philly market which I want so I can get out market games on MLB extra innings. MLB extra is for out of market people which I am.
Frequent Visitor

Y would they have to move the market?
Gold Problem Solver

I don't see a fix for this unless you move. Like I said, Comcast cannot and will not change it for just one person. They sign contracts with cities and counties for service.

It's not as easy as flipping a switch or punching a button on a keyboard.

Sorry. Enjoy the Pirates games.
Frequent Visitor

They wouldn’t be changing for one person. I’m confused how are they changing for one person? It would everyone in my town. Everyone in the town is blackout and the blackout wording states we should get it.
Gold Problem Solver

I'm sorry but I am not Comcast. I am just a customer who has been with Comcast since 1997 and I have a lot of dealings with them. I could be wrong but I highly doubt that I am.

I don't see a fix for this as long as you remain with Comcast. As long as you are attached to the Pittsburgh market you will be watching Pirates games. Who knows...everyone around you may prefer Pirates games.

You may want to check the satellite providers.
Frequent Visitor

Finally someone from Comcast said I was right. I finally had someone who is going look into this. In the Pittsburgh market so I should receive out market games which extra innings provides out market games. Now getting the job done may bring a miracle! The one representative from Comcast said they blackout games which many people are not watching. Dumbest thing I heard today. Let u know how I make out.
Gold Problem Solver

If you are receiving Pirates games then maybe you are actually in the Philly market and you are receiving out market games.
Frequent Visitor

17224 is in the Pirates market. Look it up .
Gold Problem Solver

Yes I know. I mentioned it yesterday. But I'm not talking about MLB. I am talking about Comcast.

You need to find out if you are are attached to Comcast's Philly or Pittsburgh market. In fact you should know by now.

Minneapolis and St Paul are two different networks for Comcast. I know that I live I am attached to the St Paul side.
Frequent Visitor

lol I don’t get Philly Comcast here. Who knows. MLB has a problem promoting their product if a customer has no way of seeing one game of his favorite team. Goodness I’m will to pay for the service.
Gold Problem Solver

How do you know that for sure? When you watch the news where is it coming from? Philly or Pittsburgh?

@beefbag wrote:
lol I don’t get Philly Comcast here. Who knows. MLB has a problem promoting their product if a customer has no way of seeing one game of his favorite team. Goodness I’m will to pay for the service.

New Poster

I am a Colorado Rockies fan living in Tucson, Arizona. For most  purposes, Extra Innings or MLB.TV is great because I can follow a team that would have no hometown coverage here. I expect to be blacked out from Arizona Diamondbacks games because I'm clearly in their market area, and I can watch the Colorado-Arizona games on Fox Sports Arizona. But absurdly, MLB also includes me in the San Diego Padres market. San Diego is just under 500 miles from where I live, and I guess 500 miles is the limit. This means I will miss live coverage of almost 20 games.  Weirdly, Dish includes Fox Sports San Diego here in Tucson, but Comcast doesn't. Go figure.

Official Employee

beefbag, The only games in the MLB EXTRA INNINGS package that are subject to blackout are those also carried by your local station/regional cable network. It sounds like while you are living in a Pirates locale, the actual local station considers your zip code to be a part of the Phillies territory. I looked up your zip code via the MLB website and it says that zip code is partitioned for the Pirates Blackout as you stated. 

On the same website is the following: 

If you think we have inaccurately determined your blackout restrictions, you may call Customer Service at 866.800.1275 (US) or 412.714.0999 (International).

(https://www.mlb.com/live-stream-games/subscribe#blackout-restrictions)

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

So you think I shouldn’t receive the Phillies games because of blackout rules?
New Poster

Thank you for looking into this.

I live in the Tucson, AZ area. Obviously the Diamondbacks games are blacked out on MLB.TV and I suppose on Extra Innings; they're the only MLB team in Arizona and only 120 miles from here. No problem; Comcast and other services carry the cable telecasts.

The puzzler here is the policy for San Diego Padres games. San Diego is obviously not part of the Tucson market. It's about 400 miles from here and I gather the arbitrary limit is 500 miles. But Dish carries the Padres games here on Fox Sports San Diego. Comcast does not. The Padres are in the same conference as the D-backs (NL West) so all those San Diego games matter to Arizona fans.

Either MLB has some weird discriminatory policy, or Dish has friends in high places, or Comcast is just dropping the ball. I understand the business imperative of protecting the local carriers, but this one is utterly irrational.

Official Employee

Jim-in-Tucson, yeah that is pretty odd to me as well but I won't speculate how that is being done. 

beefbag, based on what I saw on the MLB website, you are within the Pirates territory. 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!