Community Forum

Losing channels

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Losing channels

I've had xfinity at my current address since 1986. In the past year or two, I have lost PAR (28), GAC (52), CMT (98), POP (177) just to name a few; yet continue to receive price INcreases while losing channels. BUT MY BIGGEST COMPLAINT is to learn that in Oct, I am losing TCM (25). I have been watching TCM since its inception back in the 90's and am incensed that this is being moved to a Sports/Ent package where the bulk of channels are sports, outdoor, etc. Why in the world is a classic movie channel being moved there? I am not happy with Xfinity at all. I said nothing when you took the other channels, but this has me furious! I watch TCM daily!
Highlighted
New Poster

Re: Losing channels

I too am very upset about the TCM being put in a sports package! On the bottom of my bill in really small print it mentions TCM being moved out of my package . I’m already paying over $250 every month for basic channels and internet. Furious. Just unbelievable.
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Agreed...they think nothing of increasing rates, while systematically removing channels one way or another. But this one takes the cake...sports package??!!
Highlighted
Expert

@krabon wrote:
Agreed...they think nothing of increasing rates, while systematically removing channels one way or another. But this one takes the cake...sports package??!!

Sports AND Entertainment

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Yes. I am aware of the "entertainment" label. I was being brief.... with that said when I viewed that package's channel line-up I saw primarily sports related channels, with a sprinkling of outdoor channels, history, crime, etc. So why is a "classic movie" channel included in that line-up?
Highlighted
Official Employee

Hello, all - 

Thank you for taking the time to reach out to us here regarding your concerns. We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused. We are moving this channel to our Sports Entertainment programming package. Previously, we offered this channel in Digital Preferred and in Economy Plus Latino TV. We regularly evaluate channel lineups and sometimes make changes to ensure we're offering customers a wide variety of content at the best value. Moving TCM to the SEP will help us do that by continuing to make the channel available to those who want to watch it without forcing other customers who may not watch it to pay for it.

If you would like to take a look at some options together to upgrade your package, please feel free to send us a PM with your first and last name. 

To send us a Private Message, please click “Comcast_Support” and click “Send a message.”

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Highlighted
New Poster

I don’t plan on upgrading. I pay over $250 a month already. We only use 1 tv in the whole house. We don’t even have a landline. Anytime I call to ask for any deals I’m told I can’t have one because of my balance. As a person that is on kidney dialysis and doesn’t make much money Comcast is a huge bill each month. Now you take TCM away to put in a sports package. Now I know why everyone I know is switching out of cable . This is truly disappointing.
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

So, in other words... instead now I am the one who would be forced to pay for sports channels I'll never watch in order to retain my classic movies (TCM)?
Highlighted
New Poster

It’s so ridiculous. We don’t watch sports either and there’s a lot of sports channels as it is
Highlighted
Expert

@krabon wrote:
So, in other words... instead now I am the one who would be forced to pay for sports channels I'll never watch in order to retain my classic movies (TCM)?

You've been paying for sports channels all along.  You may not watch them, but they're most likely in your package.

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Thank you for supporting my point. As the Official C.Employee stated "without forcing other customers who may not watch it to pay for it." As you stated, I may not watch the sports channels, but pay for it.
Highlighted
New Poster

Absolutely!
Highlighted
New Poster

I have been a customer with Xfinity 4 over 30 years I'm on a fixed income and they keep raising the price I am fighting cancer I use TCM to watch old time movies because they're very relaxing this change is very disappointed I'm very very unhappy with Comcast.
Highlighted
Contributor

Losing channels, but they're not modifying the price of the packages.... I'm so sick and tired of comcast...... all these years just giving them my money..... they DO NOT care....if they did....they would modify the cost of your current package when the drop channels that were a part of that cost.....but noooooooo they leave the pricing as is....then say you can subscribe to said removed channel for an additional cost, despite the fact that it  was already in your package you're still paying for....rediculous.......

Highlighted
New Poster

I wholeheartedly agree with you, the least they could do is, adjust the package.  In my case, the package increased, and I am told....channels will be lost (WGN, UP, WETV).  I am not happy with Xfinity at all!!!!

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

I agree with all the complaints here.  I've been a subscriber since before it was Comcast. 1984.  I've been with this company throughout all the changes of hands.  After all these years this is how long time faithful subscribers are treated.  For all those who don't want to go through all the trouble switching to what I call the new way of doing things which is ditch remote controlled television (Cable) and switch to using the internet and stream to watch programs, this is what you get.  If you want better I suggest you call your grandkids, kids or whoever and learn how to do things the new way so you are not dependant on the services offered by a cable company.  The handwriting is on the wall for viewing television the way you have been used to all these years.  This is the reason why these cable companies are scrambling to grab as much of your money as possible, as fast as possible and in any way possible. They don't care about fair and doing the right thing for longtime faithful subscribers.  It's all about the money honey.  Cold as it sounds that's the truth.  How many from the younger generations even buy or use a television?  A TV is like a dinosaur now called a landline telephone.  Cable companies know the majority of viewers that use their services for watching programming on the TV dinosaur are folks from the older baby boomer like generation and beyond.  Those are the main viewers of TCM.  This generation is stuck for the most part in the past and does not want to or can not change.  The cable company depends on this generation doing what they have always done.  Protest and complain.  Will boomers cut the cord?  Heavens no!  Then they would not have their lifeline to watching which is....the TV with remote control.   The cable companies know there will be lots of complaints, nasty letters and maybe a march or two but in the end, the bill will be paid.  The complainers will break down and subscribe to that extra package so they can watch their TCM and so it will go.  Until those generations die out and go the way of Benny Goodman listeners.  Or the cable company ditches the current model of providing viewers with content because it is finally no longer profitable for them. (and that day is coming folks) So why waste your breath or even get upset.  These changes and scrambles will continue.  Who knows what will be next.  One thing's for sure.  It won't benefit you the subscriber.  They just tell you that it does.  But, you got some choices.  Cut the cord and get with the changes that benefit the consumer.  Or pay the bill and keep it moving.  Until the big cable granddaddy in the sky finally decides your fate for you.  Sorry.  Believe it or not but I'm one of you!  I just accept the truth that sometimes hurts.  And that's the way I see it.

Highlighted
Contributor

Why can’t things just be simple. I’ve always thought cable TV packages should be offered “cafeteria style”. Say Comcast offers a package with 140 channels. The customer should be able to choose the 140 channels they want included in their package. The customer would be happy because they are getting exactly what they want and Comcast would be getting paid by a lot of happy customers with a lot fewer complaints.
Highlighted
Expert

@OldTVGuide wrote:
Why can’t things just be simple. I’ve always thought cable TV packages should be offered “cafeteria style”. Say Comcast offers a package with 140 channels. The customer should be able to choose the 140 channels they want included in their package. The customer would be happy because they are getting exactly what they want and Comcast would be getting paid by a lot of happy customers with a lot fewer complaints.

Channels are put into tiers based on the cost which Comcast has to pay in order to bring them to you.  A la carte would be extremely expensive doing it the way you suggest.

Highlighted
New Poster

They do not listen. I have to realize that.
Highlighted
New Poster

Biga....thank you! You explained it perfectly.
Highlighted
New Poster

Again— you are so right ! I wish it was like that ! Thank you
Highlighted
Contributor

Oh my not those three too.....I dont watch tcm anymore ..but I do watch those three you named.......lort lort lort....this is why I'm glad I been building my DVD collection since 2005, I have Amazon prime and a roku device.......i have been preparing to CUT the cord for a while now......just a couple more things to do....and it will be done.....I'm tired of it ......
Highlighted
Regular Contributor

@Again wrote:

@OldTVGuide wrote:

Channels are put into tiers based on the cost which Comcast has to pay in order to bring them to you.  A la carte would be extremely expensive doing it the way you suggest.

Could letting me choose channels a la carte be much worse than what I'm paying now for a lot of junk that I DON'T WATCH and having the channels I DO WATCH taken away?

The response from that Comcast employee about people who don't watch TCM not having to pay for it is a total "crock".  Since when do they care about how much we pay?  Comcast has been charging a fortune for channels we don't want or need for years and they have resisted all attempts to make them change.  They deliberately group popular channels with other networks that cost less, so that, if you want the high-quality programs, you have to take the useless stuff too.  If Comcast is really concerned about customers, there are about 100 channels in my package that  I will happily give up so they can reduce MY bill!

I expect to pay for what I want, but I don't like being forced to pay for things that I don't want.  More is not necessarily better.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Well said!
Highlighted
Valued Contributor

Here is the difference between TCM and most other channels:

TCM is non-commercial, so Comcast cannot defray its cost by selling ad time. For most other channels, Comcast is allowed a certain number of local commercials to be inserted within the programming which reduces its and subscribers costs for those channels. Comcast has decided to place TCM into a package that it can entice movie buffs to purchase along with sports fans.

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

@studolgon wrote:

Here is the difference between TCM and most other channels:

TCM is non-commercial, so Comcast cannot defray its cost by selling ad time. For most other channels, Comcast is allowed a certain number of local commercials to be inserted within the programming which reduces its and subscribers costs for those channels. Comcast has decided to place TCM into a package that it can entice movie buffs to purchase along with sports fans.

Well, their plan won't work on me.  This is one movie buff who's not going to be s-ckered into paying another $9.95/month for a dozen sports channels that will never light up my screen just to get one channel that I want to watch.  Adding a movie channel to a package with other movie channels might be tempting, but the sports channels give me no incentive to sign up for something that requires an additional fee.  In fact, knowing I'll be charged for a lot of stuff I won't watch is more of a turn-off.

Comcast has been taking us to the cleaners and we have let them.  However, customers no longer have to tolerate this kind of manipulation.  It's not like cable tv is essential for life.  They need us more than we need them, and there are other options for tv viewing now with better choices.  Change is uncomfortable and requires effort, but I think it's time to cut the cord.

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

This is one reason why people are dumping there comcast TV service and moving to the Dish Netwotk, Direct TV or cutting the cord for Hula type services. 

Highlighted
Contributor

Here's another "losing channel" thing ... I was going to watch the Washington/Milwaukee MLB playoff game that was on TBS 10-1-2019. Problem was, as with a half dozen other channels, you get a message saying "We're having a problem on OUR END. Please wait and try again. I called Comcast three times. An average wait time of 10 minutes was required each time. The first lady tried diagnostics. No dice. Then she tried to sell me triple play (adding phone). Not happy. She patched me to a more experienced technician working this problem who promptly hung up on me when I complained. I called back a third and final time, and for the third time, I had to re-explain what's going on, and nothing. As usual, the only recourse your "agents" take is "we'll schedule you for a service call." NO! Channel 150 does the same thing, and has been, and I told her. Her reply was we've been having connectivity issues with that channel. Add about 6 or 8 more. The problem's at your end. My team, Washington, won and I missed the ENTIRE GAME. Thanks for totally nothing. The only thing your really good at is raising rates and having "issues!"
Highlighted
Regular Visitor

One of the biggest problems is getting one of these out of the country reps Xfinity is using, for what we pay for service I expect American based service reps.

Highlighted
New Poster

The Comcast support reply has NO info about why a MOVIE channel would be put into a SPORTS package!  I am one who doesn’t want to pay for any sports stuff that is not on the regular network channels, but what does TCM have to do with SPORTS?

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

@stitcherIam wrote:

The Comcast support reply has NO info about why a MOVIE channel would be put into a SPORTS package!  I am one who doesn’t want to pay for any sports stuff that is not on the regular network channels, but what does TCM have to do with SPORTS?

I must have hit a nerve since Comcast deleted my previous post.  So, I will share my thoughts again.  The Comcast Support reply was nothing but the usual DOUBLETALK.  They didn't give a reason for putting a movie channel into a sports package, because TCM has NOTHING to do with SPORTS and they know it.  The only reason for putting TCM in a pkg. with a bunch of sports channels is MONEY.

The reply states, "Moving TCM to the SEP will help us . . . . make the channel available to those who  want to watch it without forcing other customers who may not watch it to pay for it."  What an excuse!  They're trying to make the company appear concerned for their customers who are "forced" to pay for TCM even if they don't watch it.  However, they don't seem to mind charging other customers for sports channels they won't watch, just because they want TCM.  Is that supposed to be better?  It's better only for Comcast.  They won't say it outright, but putting TCM in another package simply gives them an opportunity to charge more for it.  It also makes the Digital Preferred tier less costly while we continue to pay the same amount.  That's all. 

Consumers are not as dumb or gullible as Comcast might think.  What they are doing is quite clear, no matter what their employees say.

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

@studolgon wrote:

TCM is non-commercial, so Comcast cannot defray its cost by selling ad time. For most other channels, Comcast is allowed a certain number of local commercials to be inserted within the programming which reduces its and subscribers costs for those channels. 

Unfortunately, it seems that Comcast has found a way to cheat the system once again.  Today, when I tried to play a TCM movie on demand, before the movie started, before the TCM logo even came on, the first thing I saw was an advertisement for the new Xfinity Bilingual Voice Remote! (really?!)  I've seen ads for prescription medications and other things too.  They have found a way to put commercials into commercial-free television. 

Other channels like Showtime and Starz are just as bad.  They charge huge fees, then ruin the last few minutes of each movie telling you all about "the next greatest thing", over and over.   You can't even find out who was in the cast because you can't read the credits -- anything for additional marketing and a few more bucks.  What a racket!  

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

No one is buying this scam.  There are millions -not thousands- who watch TCM every day.  Just in the state of Florida, there are millions of middle-aged and senior citizens who watch TCM for hours every day.  This is the most despicable thing any American company has ever done to its own customers.  Whoever made this decision is utterly incompetent.  People can buy a $179 Samsung TV and get Hulu or Sling for a fraction of what they’re paying for Comcast.  Another $50 for Verizon FIOS internet and they have both internet and TV for a third to one half of what we’re paying for Comcast.

It isn’t  even the money that’s disgusting your customers.  It’s the reality that you believe you can engage in such disingenuous trickery and get away with it.     You actually lied outright when you said people only watch 2 movies per month.  TCM is the most beloved of all the networks and you know it.  

Nobody believes your lies. You bundled TCM with the sports package because you are fully aware of how popular and heavily watched TCM is and you’re using it as bait to sell the sports package.  

Either restore TCM to the basic plan where it’s been since the beginning or watch millions of us switch to Hulu or Sling and AT&T or Frontier.  And you definitely need to think about firing the bottom-feeding moron who decided millions of Comcast customers could be treated  in such a shoddy manner without repercussion.  Those millions of older customers who are glued to TCM may not understand how Hulu and Sling work, but I guarantee their children and grandchildren do.  

Highlighted
New Poster

You are out of your mind. Combine with a sports package . The majority of us are woman and don’t care about sports. You are greedy! I pay almost $300. I am definitely looking at other options bedsides Comcast . I am furious! !!!!
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Agree completely.
I was told we can address complaints to Tom Karinshak at ecare@comcast.net. I also filled out a form at the "Ask Tom" link on Xfinity's support page.
Highlighted
Official Employee

Hello all. We have included a few things to note about the TCM channel, below. 

Every month, Comcast pays programmers like networks, local TV station owners and others, for the ability to bring their programming to you. We regularly review our programming and sometimes make changes to ensure we're offering a wide variety of programming at the best value. We look at a variety of factors, including customer viewership and programming costs when making these decisions. Viewership of TCM is low, as over 90% of our customers watch less than two movies per month. Given this, we decided to move TCM to the Sports Entertainment Package, which will help us manage programming costs that are passed on to our customers while continuing to make the channel available to those who want to watch it. 

We’re not getting rid of TCM, we’re just including it in a different Xfinity TV package. Please say “Classic TV” into your Xfinity Voice Remote to find a collection of all of the classic TV shows that are still available for you to view. 

While our Sports Entertainment Package includes some popular sports channels, like NFL Red Zone and some college sports networks, in most areas, it also offers several non-sports channels, like Military History, Crime & Investigation and CMT.

The cost of programming generally continues to rise - in fact, our programming costs have more than doubled since 2006 - which can affect your bill. We absorb a large portion of these cost increases and are doing our best to manage them while still giving you the best value we can. While this change won’t cause the prices to go down on existing packages, it will help reduce the speed at which they go up.

Io find similar programming that is found on TCM, please say “Classic TV” into your Xfinity Voice Remote. It will pull all of the classic TV shows that are still available for you to view.

If you would like to receive TCM and aren't currently subscribed to the Sports Entertainment Package, you can add that service for an additional charge. You can subscribe by saying “Sports Entertainment Package” into your X1 Voice Remote and following the on-screen prompts, by calling us at 1-800-xfinity, creating a post here, or by reaching out via any of our other support methods including Facebook and Twitter. 

Thank you. 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.