Community Forum

Longhorn Network

Frequent Visitor

Re: Longhorn Network????

Comcast is nowhere to be found on the available providers list above.  Providers including DirecTV, Dish, Verizon, Google, Cox, Cablevision, Charter, AT&T Uverse, and Time Warner.  How is Comcast the only major provider without Longhorn Network???  What is the excuse now?  If every other provider can reach an agreement to carry Longhorn Network, Comcast should have no problem reaching a deal.  DirecTV didn't have a problem reaching a deal.  Dish didn't have a problem reaching a deal.  Verizon didn't have a problem reaching a deal.  Google didn't have a problem reaching a deal.  Cox didn't have a problem reaching a deal. Cablevision didn't have a problem reaching a deal.  Charter didn't have a problem reaching a deal.  AT&T Uverse didn't have a problem reaching a deal.  Time Warner didn't have a problem reaching a deal.  WHAT'S THE DEAL WITH COMCAST?

Frequent Visitor

We want Longhorn Network.  When can we expect it?

Regular Visitor

Longhorn Network please

Please get the Longhorn Network. 

Contributor

Re: Longhorn Network please

i doubt you will see longhorn network with comcast anytime soon. Unless espn comes down in price.

Frequent Visitor

Re: Longhorn Network

ComcastTeds, why is Comcast the only major provider not offering the Longhorn Network? All of the other major providers have been able to work with ESPN to come to an agreement.
Problem Solver

ESPN generally requires you to negotiate all of its networks, including ESPN, ESPN 2, ESPNEWS, ESPNU, ESPN Classic, ESPN Goal Line/Buzzer Beater, ABC Family, Disney Channel, Disney XD, Disney Jr., and new Hispanic and millennial themed news channel Fusion, which Comcast does not carry either. I suspect this is part of why Longhorn Network is not available.

Also, The University of Texas and ESPN want to be able to charge an exorbitant fee to areas surrounding the state of Texas, including Oklahoma, Arkansas, New Mexico and Louisiana. Comcast has significant territory in these states including Houston, controlling most of Albuquerque and Las Cruces, controlling Little Rock, and controlling parts of the New Orleans metro, as well as being the primary cable company of Shreveport. ESPN wants upwards of $1.00 per month per subscriber, and the equivalent of the Digital Starter tier in those states. That is a lot for what is essentially 2 football games against lower-end opponents, some basketball games and a whole lot of replays. And for a school who doesn't even command a majority of fans in its home state, it is absurd to make all customers subsidize the few who want to witness blowouts against Texas State and other lower-end opponents.

ESPN may also be asking for Digital Preferred tier outside of what they are considering the "Texas footprint", the way that SEC Network was required to be. This again, while not at the $1.00 per month fee, would still be exorbitant as it's beyond a niche network.

What ESPN did here represents one of the greatest excesses of modern programming today, and why costs have soared as much as they have. For everyone who continually complains about their bill being so high, channels like Longhorn Network represent exactly why that is. A network with no programming has the ability to demand universal carriage for many people who don't care about it because of the size of its corporate partner.

Contributor

Unfortunately that is the price that the big 12 agreed to in order to keep texas from leaving the conference. I don't see Longhorn Network being added to comcast's lineups until texas wakes up and realizes they can't charge such an exhorbinant amount of money for a channel that carries ONE University. Now maybe if they open the channel up to the whole big 12 conference and make it like the pac 12, big 10 and sec network THEN comcast will step up to the plate and offer the channel.

Frequent Visitor

I would like to hear from ComcastTeds as to why Comcast is the only major provider that doesn't have an agreement with Longhorn Network. ComcastTeds???
Official Employee

@speedracer14 wrote:
I would like to hear fromComcastTeds as to why Comcast is the only major provider that doesn't have an agreement with Longhorn Network.ComcastTeds???

Apologies, I have provided earlier responses in this thread. Not much has changed from our earlier position. drhull hit a lot of the high points in his post above. 

Comcast and a few other video providers do not currently have an agreement or contract to offer the Longhorn Network. We don't have any announcements at this time on offering this channel on Comcast.

Our content and programming teams are in regular contact with ESPN (one of the owners and the distribution arm for The Longhorn Network) on many topics, including this network.

Some good "inside baseball" at the link below (from Feb 2012, but still a good read and assessment) regarding this:

http://www.barkingcarnival.com/2012/2/14/2797675/update-on-longhorn-network-dont-hold-your-breath

And a good read from this week: http://www.foxsports.com/college-football/outkick-the-coverage/the-longhorn-network-is-all-hat-no-ca...

My understanding is this network is not currently available to be offered as a single "premium channel" or allowed to be bundled with other sports channels.

ESPN's historical stance has been that the Longhorn Network is required to be offered to a very widely distributed level of service, which those costs would likely be distributed along to all customers in that area.

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

ComcastTeds - Why is it that every other major provider has been able to come to an agreement with Longhorn Network EXCEPT Comcast? This reflects poorly on Comcast.

Clay Travis lacks sufficient evidence and data to support his claims, yet it's posted here as a "good read"??? He writes for FOX and has always been more entertainment than sports - a good reason why nobody cares that his radio contract wasn't renewed here in Nashville. To link that article is ridiculous!

A better read: http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2015/6/5/8733131/texas-longhorn-network-money-revenue

It's not going anywhere...
Official Employee

@speedracer14 wrote:
ComcastTeds - Why is it that every other major provider has been able to come to an agreement with Longhorn Network EXCEPT Comcast? This reflects poorly on Comcast.

Clay Travis lacks sufficient evidence and data to support his claims, yet it's posted here as a "good read"??? He writes for FOX and has always been more entertainment than sports - a good reason why nobody cares that his radio contract wasn't renewed here in Nashville. To link that article is ridiculous!

A better read: http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2015/6/5/8733131/texas-longhorn-network-money-revenue

It's not going anywhere...

Thanks for posting a more recent review of the current situation.  

Our content and programming teams are in regular contact with ESPN (one of the owners and the distribution arm for The Longhorn Network) on many topics, including this network.

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Regular Visitor

LONGHORN NETWORK 2015

Another year and no ESPN Longhorn Network. DIRECTV UVERSE seems to be the best option. They carry everything. Oh well. Hate changing but love my Horns which also has the largest fan base in the country. Texas vs Rice on LHN but not on Comcast.

Tags (1)
Problem Solver

Re: LONGHORN NETWORK 2015

Longhorn Network is unlikely to be coming to Comcast if it hasn't already.

The channel itself, while dedicated to Texas Longhorns athletics, has truly very little original content. Of the 3 college football games it carries, 2 are against minor opponents, and only 1 is against a Big 12 school. With that, the channel has asked upwards of $1 per subscriber and placement in a tier like Digital Starter in Texas and all its neighboring states for a channel that features very niche content in a state with many collegiate fanbases - Texas A&M, Baylor, TCU, SMU, Houston, and many out-of-state schools as well. ESPN has asked more for Longhorn Network than almost any other cable channel, outside of its sister ESPN and ESPN2, and your local regional sports networks for Houston and Dallas area professional teams.

I know that may not be what you want to hear, but it can at least provide some context as to why the channel hasn't been added not just by Comcast, but by many providers.

New Poster

Please add The Longhorn Channel as soon as possible. 

New Poster

Longhorn Network

SERIOUSLY COMCAST !   YOU DON'T CARRY THIE LONGHORN NETWORK ??  Get off your backsides and add this network.   Don't make me drop your service and go with another cable provider.   COME ON !  Get with it.   Sign a contract ... can it really be that hard ? 

Frequent Visitor

ComcastTeds - What other major providers, besides Comcast of course, do not carry Longhorn Network?
Frequent Visitor

ComcastTeds - What other major providers, besides Comcast of course, do not carry Longhorn Network?

Official Employee

Contributor

Your best idea would be to email the big 12. The new commissioner is trying to get Texas to let the big 12 turn the longhorn network into the big 12 network.
Frequent Visitor

List of major providers offering the Longhorn Network:

• DirecTV
  • Dish
  • Verizon Fios
  • Google Fiber
  • Cox
  • Cablevision
  • Charter
  • AT&T Uverse
  • Time Warner

List of major providers NOT offering the Longhorn Network

• Comcast Xfinity

What's the deal with that?  Every major provider can get a deal done - why can't Comcast?

New Poster

Why can't we get the Long Horn Network ??

Why isnt the Long Horn Netrwork available to Infinity customers via ESPN ??

Official Employee

Re: Why can't we get the Long Horn Network ??

@waynerob wrote:

Why isnt the Long Horn Netrwork available to Infinity customers via ESPN ??

Apologies. ESPN requires that in order to view any of their content online or via a mobile device, that you have that specific channel included in your linear channel lineup. 

Reference: http://www.espn.com/watchespn/faq

Is the Longhorn Network available via WatchESPN?
Access to the Longhorn Network requires a video subscription from an affiliated provider. 

http://www.espn.com/longhornnetwork/faq

New Poster

Longhorn network

Are you kidding me, with the technology we have I cannot watch ALL my Texas games??!! SO RIDICULOUS!! What do we have to do guys!!

New Poster

This is the first time I've ever heard of this... and that will not happen!
New Poster

Comcast/Xfinnity is STILL the only major cable provider serving Texas that does not carry the Longhorn Networ... Incedible!
Frequent Visitor

Why is Comcast still the only major provider not offering the Longhorn Network?

Regular Visitor

When is Comcast gettng the Longhorn Nework? Though I still thnk ESPN needs to dissolve the network I still get peeved every year that I can't watch two crappy games

New Poster

at least give us the option to add the Longhorn Network via a la carte.  having no options outside of switching providers is very frustrating

Official Employee

@Stoneman11 wrote:

at least give us the option to add the Longhorn Network via a la carte.  having no options outside of switching providers is very frustrating

Apologies. Our content and programming teams are in regular contact with ESPN (one of the owners and the distribution arm for The Longhorn Network) on many topics, including this network.

My understanding is that ESPN does not currently offer this network as a single "premium channel" (a-la-carte option). 

Frequent Visitor

Why has Comcast yet to add Longhorn Network? Every other major provider has worked out a deal with ESPN. That would lead me to believe Comcast is the problem and not negotiating in good faith considering every other major provider has worked out a deal.
Official Employee

@speedracer14 wrote:
Why has Comcast yet to add Longhorn Network? Every other major provider has worked out a deal with ESPN. That would lead me to believe Comcast is the problem and not negotiating in good faith considering every other major provider has worked out a deal.

The Comcast programming teams and local management teams constantly evaluate programming choices and make decisions based on customer interests, costs, channel bandwidth management and contractual obligations. The Comcast employees who participate in these forums certainly pass along your collective feedback, interests and concerns to those teams. All channels, regardless of affiliation, are required to go through the same application and approval process in order to be carried by Comcast.

As with any network contract, we want to come to an agreement that offers the best terms for our customers and our company that keeps both our costs and our customer's monthly costs to a minimum.

As with any business, situations may change based on customer demand, channel bandwidth opportunities, business opportunities, costs and contractual obligations.

We don't have any announcements to make regarding the addition of this channel at this time. We also don't have an expected date for an announcement for adding this channel in Comcast areas.

Any potential channel addition(s) would be communicated ahead of time according to any FCC and local franchise requirements.

I realize that is not the answer that most of you were looking for but that is the current situation and an accurate answer.

The reality is that there could be a deal announced next week, next month, next year or not at all. Depends on the many factors I outlined above.

Thanks for your question, your interest and your passion. It has been noted and shared.

New Poster

Make it happen. The Texas market is dominated by Texas football. Therefore, you must provide Texas football, regardless of the cost. It makes no sense to not include it and then just pass on the costs to the folks who want it. Beyond frustrating. You are pushing me to change providers because of a single channel, and I'm sure I'm not the only customer considering moving on.
Frequent Visitor

It's disgusting, really. Only provider without it...
New Poster

Still nothing?

Ugh.
Frequent Visitor

Still disgusting. Still the only major provider that doesn't offer Longhorn Network. Why is every other major provider able to reach a deal with ESPN except Comcast?
New Poster

I need the Longhorn network. When will this be added?

New Poster

Any plans to add LHN anytime soon? Seems like Comcast/Xfinity are the only major cable outlet without it. It might be time to switch my cable carrier.
Official Employee

Hi @glrector, and @Lame1

Thank you for posting to the Xfinity Forum. We constantly evaluate content availability for our customers. We can pass along your feedback and note your interest.​​ Thank you. 

New Poster

Re: Longhorn Network - When Will This Happen???

The softball season is almost over,I was hoping Xfinity  could have the longhorn network long before this, but I am not going to wait forever. 

Official Employee

Re: Longhorn Network - When Will This Happen???

Hi @Rster3022

I'll be sure to pass on your feedback about Longhorn Network. We examine channel lineups often to offer the best content available.