Community Forum

Less programming for more money, once again.

Contributor

Less programming for more money, once again.

I just noticed today that the retro channel DECADES has been replace with START TV in most markets, including here in the San Francisco Bay Area. When questioned about yet another lost station we get the same response - Comcast only carries programs offered by providers.

I'm sorry, but in this day and age that is complete hogwash. According to Wikipedia, Comcast "is the second-largest broadcasting and cable television company in the world by revenue and the largest pay-TV company, the largest cable TV company and largest home internet service provider in the United States."

Yet Comcast cannot make an exclusive deal with a small channel like Decades so loyal viewers can enjoy that programming? They cannot offer Turner Classic Movies to people with basic cable (an SD version) and we can only watch TCM with an HD premium sports package, even though there is an SD version of TCM inculded in the HD packages, which makes NO sense.

Comcast, it's time for you to step up and start fighting for your customers and negotiating better deals so you can offer better content. I'm paying $200 a month for content bundled into a package that includes shows I want to see, but that package also includes content I never watch and never will watch - children's programming, programming in languages other than English, and sports, just to name a few. This is not only unfair to me but it is a horribly outdated service model that will spell your doom as a business for profit if you don't change with the times.

I love my X1 box and my voice remote, but the extremely limited number of channels I watch versus the number of unwatched channels I am paying for is absurd, and this is why people like me are cutting the cord and moving to streaming.

Please don't drive me away. I've been a loyal Comcast customer for over 20 years, but I'm tired and frustrated about paying more every year for less programming.

I would appreciate seeing a serious response to this post and not a boilerplate reply explaining how some things are out of your control. TAKE CONTROL and SERVE your customers.

Diamond Problem Solver

Re: Less programming for more money, once again.

Contracts are made with station ownership, ownership decides which channel they will provide. Comcast can only broadcast what that station’s ownership wants to be broadcasted. Let the station ownership know how you feel about their switch of channels.

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!
Contributor

And that is exactly the response I expected. Boilerplate. No thinking about the customer, no thought of innovation, no thinking outside the box. THIS is why Comcast is dying a slow death, which is really sad because you COULD do better if you wanted.

Regular Contributor

What the original poster is asking for is for Comcast to make an effort to have Decades added as its own channel, rather than depending on it being a subchannel of other stations. The Decades website does include a link for cable companies to use concerning inquiring about adding the station.

Then again, no other company - DirecTV, Dish, U-Verse, Time Warner, Spectrum - includes it on all of its systems either. U-Verse won't carry it at all, because of its "no subchannels unless they carry a broadcast network's programming, and even then, we won't make any guarantees if it's CW" policy.

Official Employee

@Vacuous

Thank you for posting to the Xfinity Forum. Sorry, you feel this way. We don't want to drive you away. However, the information that you have been provided about the channels and networks we offer is correct. To see more information regarding our licensing or contract agreements and channel requests, follow this link

Because you mentioned your bill, I would like to review your account and discuss possible ways that we may be able to help lower your rate. To protect the privacy of your account, please send me a private message with your first and last name as it appears on your monthly statements. If the account is under someone else's name, please verify their first and last name and the primary phone number associated with the account. 

To send a private message click on my name "ComcastChe", then click send a message. 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Contributor

Will do.

Official Employee

Ok, chat with you soon. 

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Contributor

Vacuous, I agree with everything you said! 

Official Employee

Hi @Laurie3101

Thank you for posting to the Xfinity Forum. I can understand why you feel this way. If there is any way I can assist you in lowering your rate, I'd be more than happy to see what I can do for you as well. If you can send me a private message with your first and last name, we discuss the options that are available to you. To send a private message click on my name "ComcastChe", then click send a message.