Community Forum

Lack of HD Premium channel content

Regular Contributor

Lack of HD Premium channel content

I hear all this talk of 4k rolling out yet the premium channels are not all in HD.  Directv and Dish have ALL THEIR PREMIUMS IN HD! Why is the HOme shopping network and the food channel in HD yet PAID PREMIUM SUBSCRIPTION channels are not? 

HBO East is not in HD.  (all the live events/shows ex Game of Thrones airs on HBO East before it airs on HBO West) I don't want to wait 3 hours to watch my favorite TV show in HD.  The same goes for all the other providers!  This is 2017!

Only 4 out of 12 HBO Channels are in HD.   (HBO go does not stream live content so don't try to tell me to authenticate via the APP)

Only 1 out of 7 Starz Channels is in HD.... (Starz does not even Xfinity as a listed provider for authentication!)

Only 1 out of Showtime Channels in HD

Only 1 out of 4 Cinemax Channels in HD

New Poster

Re: Lack of HD Premium channel content

Oh good... I thought it was just me.

I totally agree.  I just moved and can't get DirecTV in this area due to tree coverage.  I love my 1GB internet speeds, but the HD movie content on XFinity are down-right depressing compared to other providers.

EVERY movie channel should be HD (and I mean 1080, not that 720 garbage that people call "HD").

Comcast should stop worrying about 4K content when they can't even master the basics.  I have a week to decide if I'm keeping this service before getting locked into a contract, and I'm honestly not sure what I'm going to do.

Official Employee

Waqas1 wrote:

I hear all this talk of 4k rolling out yet the premium channels are not all in HD.  Directv and Dish have ALL THEIR PREMIUMS IN HD! Why is the HOme shopping network and the food channel in HD yet PAID PREMIUM SUBSCRIPTION channels are not? 

HBO East is not in HD.  (all the live events/shows ex Game of Thrones airs on HBO East before it airs on HBO West) I don't want to wait 3 hours to watch my favorite TV show in HD.  The same goes for all the other providers!  This is 2017!

Only 4 out of 12 HBO Channels are in HD.   (HBO go does not stream live content so don't try to tell me to authenticate via the APP)

Only 1 out of 7 Starz Channels is in HD.... (Starz does not even Xfinity as a listed provider for authentication!)

Only 1 out of Showtime Channels in HD

Only 1 out of 4 Cinemax Channels in HD

Apologies. The channel lineup can vary from area to area.

There is a LOT of HD premium content available right now and anytime On Demand and included with your current package.

Actually, more HD content than ever is available today On Demand from our premium channel partners and included with your premium channel subscription. That is how premium movie content (SD and HD) is mostly consumed, via On Demand.

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Official Employee

HCarter111 wrote:

Oh good... I thought it was just me.

I totally agree.  I just moved and can't get DirecTV in this area due to tree coverage.  I love my 1GB internet speeds, but the HD movie content on XFinity are down-right depressing compared to other providers.

EVERY movie channel should be HD (and I mean 1080, not that 720 garbage that people call "HD").

Comcast should stop worrying about 4K content when they can't even master the basics.  I have a week to decide if I'm keeping this service before getting locked into a contract, and I'm honestly not sure what I'm going to do.

Apologies. The channel lineup can vary from area to area.

There is a LOT of HD premium content available right now and anytime On Demand and included with your current package. Actually, more HD content than ever is available today On Demand from our premium channel partners and included with your premium channel subscription. That is how premium movie content (SD and HD) is mostly consumed, via On Demand.

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Expert

Waqas1 wrote:

Game of Thrones airs on HBO East before it airs on HBO West) I don't want to wait 3 hours to watch my favorite TV show in HD. 

FYI This was a big problem for my wife and I since we go to bed at 9 PM to get up at 4 AM for our work commute, and it was next to impossible to encounter spoilers for the episode the next day.

I got around this by watching GoT on HBO GO on my Apple TV - it would start streaming at 7 PM PT so I don't have to wait till 9PM to see it. And it's full HD. 

The Experts are regular customers who volunteer their time helping other customers on the Forums and have been recognized by the community. For more information on the Expert Program, please click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Regular Contributor

Agreed!  However, 720 would even be an upgrade.  Majority of the movie channels are in SD... :::smh...:::::

Official Employee

Waqas1 wrote:

Agreed!  However, 720 would even be an upgrade.  Majority of the movie channels are in SD... :::smh...:::::

There is a LOT of HD premium content available right now and anytime On Demand and included with your current package. Actually, more HD content than ever is available today On Demand from our premium channel partners and included with your premium channel subscription. That is how premium movie content (SD and HD) is mostly consumed, via On Demand.

Contributor

ComcastTeds, what about those of us that prefer to watch the Premiums we pay a lot of money for on a more linear level? The complaints seem to be most people enjoy browsing, they don’t want to start from the beginning and watch On Demand. Yet as I’ve browsed the forums, that is your response to the numerous folks asking for this. On Demand is not the same.
Contributor

HCarter111 wrote:

Comcast should stop worrying about 4K content when they can't even master the basics.

4K....ha!  They can't even get my call-waiting to work on my land-line.  Aside from the premium stations I know there are others like WGN America and TV Land that are available in HD on Fios.  It's 2017.  Who doesn't have HD TV at this point? 

Official Employee

richphilly wrote: 4K....ha!  They can't even get my call-waiting to work on my land-line.  Aside from the premium stations I know there are others like WGN America and TV Land that are available in HD on Fios.  It's 2017.  Who doesn't have HD TV at this point? 

We are constantly updating your channel lineups with the networks that you want, please click on this link and request that WGN America or TV land be added in HD.

Frequent Visitor

My main regret in coming back to xfinity from uverse was the striking lack of HD content, especially premium. It's too much hassle to navigate the onDemand content. Yes, there is a lot there, an almost overwhelming amount, that's the problem. We watch a fraction now, of what we used to on the premium channels. Netflix is becoming our go to.

New Poster

Why lack of HD programming,  In New York I had Verizon FIOS & DirectTV. They have 90% of premium channel in HD & on demand.

I pay for NHL Center Ice & 90% of games are in SD.  I know they have a NHL Beta channel - when is great if you are watching a game live.  I work so I can only record SD games.

Is the intent of Comcast to have all games in HD like DirecTV or FIOS?

Please don’t tell me that Comcast will not add more HD programming.  It is not a solution to to have HD feed that you can’t record.  Why have a DVR?

I am confused - your competition has 90% in HD that you can record!

Please tell me the Beta feed will be part of regular programming & not the permanent solution by Comcast.

Thanks in advance - Jack

Regular Visitor

But the fact of the matter is if you have a 4K TV or some type of big flat screen the picture on the SD channels are horrible. It's unwatchable. Also not every single thing this played on certain channels are available for on demand. Not to mention there's even one of the premium channels that doesn't even let you log in on their app because you're not a partner so I can't even watch on-demand content from them. I really wish you would just apply HD to these channels can we pay extra for these channels but we don't get the quality we deserve from them. You're trying to roll out 4K, but you can't even get at least majority of your premium channels in HD yet. I would worry about getting HD do you premium channels before you try to give us 4K
Regular Contributor

Glad i am not the only one complaining.  Xfinity is trying to avoid our claims by saying "they have on demand content" THE PROBLEM IS WE WANT TO BE ABLE TO WATCH WORLD PREMIRES LIVE IN HD and not have to wait 3 hours to watch the replay.  Why do you guys contsantly brag about being better than Dish, Directv, Sling, Hulu etc but can't even get premiums in HD. 

Dish and Directv have all their premiums in HD so there you go Xfinity.  Don't use the "it depends on your region excuse" 

You guys make every excuse in the book to not have premiums in HD.  Premiums are a PAID subscription and there is no excuse to not have every premium in HD.  

Frequent Visitor

I could not agree more. We pay extra for premium channels and only one of each premium is in full HD. Sometimes not even full screen on that channel. If Comcast does not have the bandwidth then they should update there Infrastructure. Spend some of the Billions and Billions of profit on improving there lines. They are a monopoly in my area of NJ. I can not get fios there are no lines. There should be a law. Total rip-off
Joe
Regular Contributor

I have been thinking about this for a long time. I thought that they would add more by now, but they have not . They need to get with the times. I'm sick of paying for sub standard service!