Xfinity plant
Xfinity globe
Community Forum

Lack of BBC America HD...

Contributor

Lack of BBC America HD...

Exactly as the title says... Planet Earth II is about to debut in a couple of weeks here, and I'm stuck with the weakest HD lineup I can imagine for your overpriced $300/month package. There's no BBC America HD channel here, nevermind the lack of premium HD channels. 2017 feels like 2007. If your cable tv was 1/2 as good as my internet speeds, I'd have all HD channels and these HD channels would be 4K channels with HDR/DV.

Here's the weak lineup of HD channels where Doctor Who is available only in SD.

CBS Sports Network HD

Net New England HD
ESPN HD
ESPN2 HD
ESPNews HD
FOX Sports 1 HD
Golf Channel HD
MLB Network HD
NBA TV HD
NBA TV HD
NBC Sports Network HD
NESN HD
NFL Network HD
NHL Network HD
SEC Network HD
SNY HD
Tennis Channel HD
NECN HD

WCCT HD (CW)

WCTX HD (MyTV)

WEDH HD (PBS)

WFSB HD (CBS)

WHPX HD (ION)

WNET HD (PBS)

WTIC HD (FOX)

WTNH HD (ABC)

WUVN HD (UNV)

WVIT HD (NBC)

CNBC HD
CNN HD
Destination America HD
FOX Business Network HD
FOX News Channel HD
HLN HD
MSNBC HD
The Weather Channel HD
Hallmark Movies & Mysteries HD
IFC HD
LMN HD
TCM HD
A&E HD
AMC HD
Bravo HD
Comedy Central HD
E! HD
Esquire Network HD
Food Network HD
fuse HD
FX HD
FXX HD
fyi HD
HGTV HD
HISTORY HD
HSN HD

Investigation Discovery HD
Lifetime HD
MTV HD
MTV Live HD
QVC HD

Science HD
Spike HD
Syfy HD
TBS HD
TLC HD
TNT HD
truTV HD
TV One HD
Universal HD
Velocity HD
VH1 HD
VICELAND HD
WE tv HD
Animal Planet HD
Cartoon Network HD
Discovery HD
Disney Channel HD
Disney XD HD

Freeform HD
Hallmark Channel HD
Nat Geo WILD HD
National Geographic HD
Nickelodeon HD

Sprout HD

Travel Channel HD

UP HD

USA Network HD
CINEMAX HD East
HBO HD East
Showtime HD East
STARZ East HD
STARZ ENCORE East HD

Silver Problem Solver

Re: Lack of BBC America HD...

Where are you located? You probably are on an older cable system that doesn't have enough bandwidth.

Contributor

Central Connecticut.
They recently pushed the X1 boxes (deadline was November 2016), 200mbps internet, and all, but when it comes to TV... They haven't done a thing to make it better for about 4~5 years now. They did a big push (with the channels you see listed) in like 2012 maybe? Then nothing. They keep making the internet better, like top 10% (according to Speedtest) better. I think it's a matter of customer base. No reason to concern themselves with rural towns. All they did was make it worse forcing these terrible X1 boxes on us.

Silver Problem Solver

You are probably talking about the MPEG4 upgrade. You didn't have to change to X1, but they way the have been pushing it, it sounded like you were being forced to. Problem is, the bandwidth opened up with MPEG4 is mostly being used for Internet and OnDemand, not channels.

Contributor

Well, as the letter put it, we wouldn't be able to access HD channels unless we upgraded to X1. My problem with a lack of HD would explode. Though it tickled me how until the bitter end, they said I needed to upgrade the modem to a DOCSIS 3.0, when I already had a DOCSIS 3.0 modem. That all being said, it's frustrating that BBC America and the rest of the premium channels aren't in HD here. Sports channels though, spared no expense!  Areas with just a few thousand residents at best (and not all of them being Comcast subscribers) simply don't matter. Cross the town line into the next town where it's Cox, and it's the full HD treatment. Suppose I really should be angry with the FCC. 

New Poster

I'm on X1 in Clermont FL and still forced to watch BBC America-Dr Who in SD on channel 114.

Still no HD for BBC America?

Ridiculous, I was watching it in HD on Dish Network 10 years ago.

Official Employee

Hi @Sal5528. While we do not have a live channel for BBC America in HD in your area, we do have BBC America HD Live streaming on TVGO using XFINITY Stream on our website or the XFINITY Stream App. This is per the channel lineup at your location.  Please let me know if you need help accessing this. 

New Poster

Sorry but IMO thats a pretty lame approach to offering a HD channel. I have to run third party software, why, most everyone else has BBC America HD in their standard lineup.I want to be able to just set the DVR and catch Dr Who and a number of other excellent SciFi shows when my time allows. Time to bring the Polk county channel lineup into the 21st century.  Don't expect my rant to make a difference alone but I'm hoping others will chime in here.  

Official Employee

Sal5528, I understand your frustration. I would encourage you to complete our corporate feedback form here: https://www.xfinity.com/support/cable-tv/channel-availability-faqs/ and request this channel be carried in HD in your area. 

New Poster

I will do that, Thanks so much for the link Joe.

Didn't mean to come across as a hard case, yes I'm frustrated and you were an easy target. Smiley Wink

My apologies.

Sal

Official Employee

No worries Sal5528. I hope at some point we can carry this live channel in HD for you. Thank you for using the Forums. 

New Poster

I just subscribed yesterday and find that BBC America is not showing in HD. There are so many programs I like to watch that are broadcast on BBC America. Why is this not being provided in HD format? If it is, how do I get it so I can record my favorites?

New Poster

Hope you had better luck than I did.

Can't believe you can get like 4 cooking channels in HD but not BBC America?

Try using the link ComcastJoeTru posted three messages up to complain to Comcast. Maybe they'll get off their butts soon.

I had BBC America in HD on DishNet over 10 years ago. Smiley Sad

New Poster

Shiii...I’m in Chattanooga, TN...and my folks live in south Atlanta...where bandwidth is no issue nor is population base, and BBC America has no HD for either. 🧐

Seems clear that Comcast and/or the network have no intention of solving this ridiculous (and loooong existing) problem.  The really inane part is that the capability exists, as HD is available for (most, at least...) On Demand programming.  Some may find that as a positive...I just see it as even further frustrating - because it just seems like they are going out of the way to deny an HD channel, whike letting us get our HD Planet Earth II, etc, fix...but without benefit of TiVo or mobile downloading, and so on!

New Poster

That’s insane. That just proves that this should have been solved a long, LOOONG time ago!