Community Forum

KQED for the City of Faifield

New Poster

KQED for the City of Faifield

Why take the PBS KQED Channel 9 out of the Channel Lineup for the City of Fairfield?

Someone, please reverse this situation.

Silver Problem Solver

Re: KQED for the City of Faifield

Most likely, another Designated Market Area rule requirement. You are outside of KQED's DMA, so another PBS station, who's DMA you are in, complained and Comcast was forced to remove KQED.

New Poster

I am very unhappy about the dropping of KQED. I do not really care who"s sphere of influance Fairfield is considered to be in, I do not watch KVIE very often. KQED is my go to local channel. This may be the straw that breaks the camels back. Comcast, you should have polled us first. I am guessing there are far more people in this community who watch and support KQED over KVIE. Reinstate KQED.

Silver Problem Solver

The law is the law. If a competing station doesn't want Comcast to carry an out-of-market station, then Comcast MUST drop it, no matter what the subscribers want. If you want to complain, complain to KVIE.

https://www.kvie.org/contact/

New Poster

Where did you find that it was KVIE that requested/required this change? 

Silver Problem Solver

I didn't, but it is the most likely explanation if KVIE is still available. Again, contact KVIE and ask if they forced Comcast to drop KQED.

New Poster

I checked with KVIE, Sacramento PBS and they replied:

"Thank you for asking us about why KQED is no longer available to see on your Comcast subscription.

Unfortunately, there is some incorrect information circulating that we must have complained in order to remove them from the channel lineup. That is false. For years, KQED existed in parts of our service area and KVIE existed in parts of their service area on the respective Comcast lineups.

Comcast recently chose to drop both KQED and KVIE where the stations were not in the Federal “must carry” areas. Comcast had voluntarily carried the stations as a service to Comcast customers. We don’t know the reason why, but we were recently notified that the channels would be dropped. Perhaps if you and others let Comcast know how you feel about the decision they might reinstate the services. There is nothing stopping them from doing so.

Again, I am sorry that Comcast’s action has created problems for you and other viewers. And I hope you now understand that we had nothing to do with the decision. We are grateful for your support."