Community Forum

Instant TV RSNs

Regular Visitor

Instant TV RSNs

Been trying to figure out what the RSNs are for Instant TV subscription in the sports package.   No one can seem to tell me from Comcast.   Online links say RSNs by market, but offer no specificity.   Tried chat and got nowhere.   Why can't someone just answer this question?   it is not hard.   There are multiple RSNs and do I get all or one or two.   This impacts my decisions.....and yet no one can answer it.

Regular Contributor

Re: Instant TV RSNs

I have the HBO-level package, and I only get my local RSNs, so my guess is, you will only get one (or two, depending on where you live) of them - if that. Supposedly, Instant TV comes with the Limited Basic package, which does not appear to have any RSNs - at least, according to the plan comparison grid I am looking at.

Besides - even if you did get multiple RSNs, Comcast would be required to black out any NBA, NHL, and MLB games on non-local RSNs. Even in northern California, where anybody that can get RSNs gets both NBC Sports Bay Area (which has the NBA Warriors) and NBC Sports California (which has the NBA Kings), there are special versions of both that do not include those teams' games that air in the other team's "home area" - i.e. if you live in what the NBA considers to be the "Warriors home area," you get the version of NBC Sports California that does not broadcast Kings games.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

It's because there isn't a spreadsheet of every local area and their corresponding RSN fees.  Nobody is going to know any of that off the top of their head. There's way too many areas with different fees.

The only way I can think of to determine if there is one and what the amount is would be to go through the motions of adding on the channels and the software the agents use would tell the agent during the process of getting you to approve the change to your services.  You would get to see that too, because the agent is required to get your approval from text, email, or an automated recording.  

If you currently have instant tv, you ought to be able to adjust your subscription online through your My Account.  If you are able to, which I'm not sure if you can, you would be able to see the itemized charges including taxes or fees associated with upgrading your service. 

Regular Visitor

I do not have Instant TV, but I was considering it.

My RSNs here in Oregon would be: (1) NBC Sports Northwest (formerly CSN Northwest)  - for the Blazers, (2) Root Sports NW - for the Mariners, and (3) Pac 12 Network.

In normal plans get all three.   Are all three on regular TV.   it's not an unreasonable question.

I can go to DISH, Directv, Hulu, Youtube, etc, type in my zip code and get the answer as to what is included.   Comcast can't tell me.   I am not going to add it and then take it off because then they will say that I won't qualify for the "new" customer offer for the Instant TV at some later time.

This should not be hard, but Comcast makes it hard.

Regular Visitor

I totally underrstand the blackout rules, that's not an issue.  These are my local RSNs - CSN Northwest, Root Sports NW, and Pac 12 Network.

New Poster

Great question.  I'm wonder the same thing.  I want the PAC12 channel.    

Regular Contributor

This is pretty much just a guess, but I would assume you would get the same channels with Instant TV that you could get normally, which means you would be limited to the RSNs from your area. Even if you do get more RSNs, almost certainly all of the pro sports (Major League Baseball, NBA, NHL) from the out-of-market teams would be blacked out.

Regular Visitor

You would think so, but why is this so hard for Comcast to just tell me this?   It should not be so hard.

Reality is IF I can get Pac 12, CSN NW, and Root Sports - withe the locals, this may be a good deal.   But I can't tell the deal because no one can tell me.