Community Forum

If Comcast drops channels from a package, am i eligible to end 2-year contract without penalty?

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

If Comcast drops channels from a package, am i eligible to end 2-year contract without penalty?

I am considering 2-year contract, primarily because of disney channels and shows. However we all heard of Disney starting its own network, and they will possibly pull their channels and content from other providers (netflix, ...) already this autmn.

It happend before, it wil happen again. Channels are being dropped from the packages all the time.

 

If that happens, am i eligible to terminate the 2-year term agreement without penalty?

I cannot find it anywhere explicetly stated in policies.

 

 

 

Highlighted
Expert

Re: If Comcast drops channels from a package, am i eligible to end 2-year contract without penalty?

Sorry. Nope.


I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Highlighted
Expert

Re: If Comcast drops channels from a package, am i eligible to end 2-year contract without penalty?

From the Comcast Agreement for Residential Services:

 

4. CHANGES TO SERVICES

Subject to applicable law, we have the right to change our Service(s), Xfinity Equipment, rates and charges, at any time with or without notice to you. We also may rearrange, delete, add to, or otherwise change programming or features or offerings contained in the Service(s), including, but not limited to, content, functionality, hours of availability, equipment requirements, speed, and upstream and downstream rate limitations. We may deliver any notice concerning changes to the Service(s) and our relationship with you, including notice of any change to this Agreement, in any one or more of the following ways, as determined in our sole discretion: (1) by posting it on www.xfinity.com or any other website about which you have been notified; (2) by mail or hand delivery to your Premises; (3) by e-mail to the e-mail address for your account in our records; or (4) by including the information on or with your bill for Service(s).

https://www.xfinity.com/Corporate/Customers/Policies/SubscriberAgreement


I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Re: If Comcast drops channels from a package, am i eligible to end 2-year contract without penalty?

It does not say that i dont have the right to cancel the contract if they do so.
Some basic lawyer reasoning means that I do.
Highlighted
Expert

Re: If Comcast drops channels from a package, am i eligible to end 2-year contract without penalty?


@Andru wrote:
It does not say that i dont have the right to cancel the contract if they do so.
Some basic lawyer reasoning means that I do.

Actually, it does.  You agreed to the contract with that disclaimer in the Agreement.  If you terminate your services you will be charged an ETF.


I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Highlighted
Official Employee

Re: If Comcast drops channels from a package, am i eligible to end 2-year contract without penalty?

Hi, Andru. The Experts are right that while we may add or remove channels in any given lineup, you will be charged an Early Termination Fee if you're in an agreement and decide to end it prematurely. We really hope you choose not to do that, as we appreciate you as a customer. Please let us know what other questions you have. 


I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Highlighted
New Poster

Re: If Comcast drops channels from a package, am i eligible to end 2-year contract without penalty?

Do not sign a 2 year agreement with this company!! I signed a 2 year agreement after being forced out of my old comcast agreement and moving to xfinity. They are dropping channels from my line up left and they do not care at all and want me to pay the deactivation fee. DO NOT do it. 

Highlighted
Gold Problem Solver

Re: If Comcast drops channels from a package, am i eligible to end 2-year contract without penalty?


@Andru wrote: It does not say that i dont have the right to cancel the contract if they do so.
Some basic lawyer reasoning means that I do.

The agreement goes on to say:

 


If any material change negatively affects your Service(s), you have the right to cancel your Service(s). Your continued receipt of the Service(s) for more than 30 days after the change, however, will constitute your acceptance of the change.

What that means exactly, I do not know.

Highlighted
New Poster

Re: If Comcast drops channels from a package, am i eligible to end 2-year contract without penalty?

Regardless I am done. I tried to change some things like dropping the house phone and all the premium channels.... it was going to cost more per month. They are absoluley driving customers away. With all of the cord cutting technologies out there, you'd think the would be looking for ways to work with customers
Highlighted
New Poster

Re: If Comcast drops channels from a package, am i eligible to end 2-year contract without penalty?

If you cared you would find a way to work the customer base
Highlighted
Expert

Re: If Comcast drops channels from a package, am i eligible to end 2-year contract without penalty?


@dacypo wrote:
Regardless I am done. I tried to change some things like dropping the house phone and all the premium channels.... it was going to cost more per month. They are absoluley driving customers away. With all of the cord cutting technologies out there, you'd think the would be looking for ways to work with customers

When you bundle you're getting a discount on each service.  When you break the bundle you're considered having individual services at every day prices - no discount.


I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Re: If Comcast drops channels from a package, am i eligible to end 2-year contract without penalty?

No! Its called "Bait and Switch"

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Re: If Comcast drops channels from a package, am i eligible to end 2-year contract without penalty?

When I lease a car, for 2 years, I am getting a “discount”, too.
Now, imagine that few months into the lease, lessor comes ant takes away a wheel. He says: “well, now you have to pay extra for it.”
That is not OK, and is not allowed; in such case I will terminate my lease and return the car without penalties; the law will be on my side.
How come the same logic does not apply to 2-year tv package contracts?
Highlighted
Expert

Re: If Comcast drops channels from a package, am i eligible to end 2-year contract without penalty?


@Andru wrote:
When I lease a car, for 2 years, I am getting a “discount”, too.
Now, imagine that few months into the lease, lessor comes ant takes away a wheel. He says: “well, now you have to pay extra for it.”
That is not OK, and is not allowed; in such case I will terminate my lease and return the car without penalties; the law will be on my side.
How come the same logic does not apply to 2-year tv package contracts?

Two different types of contracts.  Of course, the car lease may have disclaimers in it as well.  This is where caveat emptor [let the buyer beware] comes in.  Read the fine print and know your options.


I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Highlighted
New Poster

Re: If Comcast drops channels from a package, am i eligible to end 2-year contract without penalty?

I just learned that one of the few channels that I watch has been dropped from my Comcast package. While I still have one and a half months left on my contract, Comcast can allow me to terminate my contract without an early termination fee, or I’ll have no problem disconnecting service at my other two homes where I have Comcast not under contract. It would seem to me that the possibility of a class action lawsuit mlght need to be looked into.
Highlighted
Regular Contributor

Re: If Comcast drops channels from a package, am i eligible to end 2-year contract without penalty?

I suggest you read your agreement, every word.


just an old, dried-up crusty dude!
Highlighted
Contributor

Re: If Comcast drops channels from a package, am i eligible to end 2-year contract without penalty?

My contract says that if advance notice is not given before a channel is dropped, the service (one or all?) may be dropped without penalty.  The other option is to invoke arbitration but no support agent will tell me how to do that or how to get Comcast to do it.  Neither will HQ at VP of Customer Service.  Fortunately, I found an agent who understands service and he gave me the Sports and Entertainment package for free for 90 days while management hashes out the TCM issue (apparently a huge firestorm has erupted) (a charge with a credit).  A key problem is that the notices for channel deletion occur on electronic bill statements at Xfinity.com, and I get no paper bills anymore.  You have to have a reason to read your electronic bill statement if the bill amount is correct, so how would you know?  I suggest that you try to get the 90 day free subscription because you will die before you know how to invoke arbitration.

Highlighted
Contributor

Re: If Comcast drops channels from a package, am i eligible to end 2-year contract without penalty?

Notifications on electronic bills can be intendedd to evade the customer because who reads them if the bill amount is accurate.  Who goes to Xfinity.com to read emails every month?  Only real way is direct email to the customer .

Highlighted
Contributor

Re: If Comcast drops channels from a package, am i eligible to end 2-year contract without penalty?

Only valid reason to cancel is for non-notification.  My electronic bills did not notify me about TCM deletion but theree were notices about Stars, etc.

Highlighted
Contributor

Re: If Comcast drops channels from a package, am i eligible to end 2-year contract without penalty?

Contract states cancelation may occur is no notice is received about channel deletion.  Giving notice on electronic bill statements or at Xfinity.com is highly evasive.  Where does it say that we must monitor the bills and emails there?

Highlighted
Contributor

Re: If Comcast drops channels from a package, am i eligible to end 2-year contract without penalty?

Check your bill statements, hard and electronic, and emails at Xfinity.com to see if notices were given to you.  If not, you may cancel per contract language.

Highlighted
Gold Problem Solver

Re: If Comcast drops channels from a package, am i eligible to end 2-year contract without penalty?


@Gig8 wrote: ... how to invoke arbitration.

https://www.xfinity.com/corporate/customers/policies/subscriberagreement paragraph 13e says:

 

Initiation of Arbitration Proceeding/Selection of Arbitrator. The party initiating the arbitration proceeding may open a case with the American Arbitration Association (“AAA”) by visiting its website (www.adr.org) or calling its toll free number (1-800-778-7879). You may deliver any required or desired notice to us by mail to Comcast, 1701 JFK Boulevard, Philadelphia, PA 19103-2838 – ATTN: LEGAL DEPARTMENT.
Highlighted
Contributor

Re: If Comcast drops channels from a package, am i eligible to end 2-year contract without penalty?

Short term profit maximization is long term loss of profits when the customers leave.

Highlighted
Contributor

Re: If Comcast drops channels from a package, am i eligible to end 2-year contract without penalty?

Because the local and federal authorities give cable providers way too much power in their geographic monopolies.  If they had direct competition with other companies, prices would drop and the choices would become more attractive, that is, you might not have to subsidize the Hispanic channels, sport channels if you don't watch them,  etc.

Highlighted
Contributor

Re: If Comcast drops channels from a package, am i eligible to end 2-year contract without penalty?

There has been at least one successful class action suit on the west coast regarding use of the X box.  But the issue here is one of proper notification; with it, they are complying with the contract, even though that includes notices at Xfinity.com or on electronic bills which few bother to read.

Highlighted
Contributor

Re: If Comcast drops channels from a package, am i eligible to end 2-year contract without penalty?

Oviously, if that is in my contract I missed it, but why would no agent refer me to that passage in response to my questions?  Why create more frustration and bad will?

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

Re: If Comcast drops channels from a package, am i eligible to end 2-year contract without penalty?

Did you read your agreement, all of it?


just an old, dried-up crusty dude!
Highlighted
Contributor

Re: If Comcast drops channels from a package, am i eligible to end 2-year contract without penalty?

Read the part that says if you don't get advance notice, you can cancel, but read your bill statements and emails at xfinity.com, places you would not expect to find notices.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Re: If Comcast drops channels from a package, am i eligible to end 2-year contract without penalty?

The fact that not a single of the service desk employees had to read and learn the service contract agreement is telling a lot 😉 . But, did you really expect them? You did not read it either 😉
It would be wise for comcast to just quietly resolve this such “noisy” customers, rather than go to arbitration tbh, such publicity is not helping the image 🙂 But who am i to say.
I did not sign the 2-year contract btw. I really dont know anymore what I am signing for, as it can change anytime.
Highlighted
Gold Problem Solver

Re: If Comcast drops channels from a package, am i eligible to end 2-year contract without penalty?


@Gig8 wrote: ... I get no paper bills anymore.  You have to have a reason to read your electronic bill statement ...

The reason is: you're dealing with Comcast. Failure to read the full bill each and every month can be hazardous to your financial health. They're a slippery bunch!

Highlighted
New Poster

Re: If Comcast drops channels from a package, am i eligible to end 2-year contract without penalty?

Isnt that something? Xfinity promises you certain channels then removes them without compensation, then if you want to leave , the still charge a fee.. Can;t beleive they're proud of their customer service

Highlighted
Contributor

Re: If Comcast drops channels from a package, am i eligible to end 2-year contract without penalty?

They <Edited> won't even give you contact info for their corp hq.  <Edited>  Folks, it may be time for people to start reading again, learning to play a musical intrument, doing charitable work, meditating for spiritual improvement, corresponding with your friends, taking a college class,  playing cards or chess with friends, etc.  The intellect deserves more than tv anyway.

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

Re: If Comcast drops channels from a package, am i eligible to end 2-year contract without penalty?

As BruceW pointed out this line is at the end of item 4 Changes to Services in the agreement:

 

"If any material change negatively affects your Service(s), you have the right to cancel your Service(s). Your continued receipt of the Service(s) for more than 30 days after the change, however, will constitute your acceptance of the change."

 

Can somebody in an official capacity please explain what this means?

Thanks!

 

 


just an old, dried-up crusty dude!
Highlighted
Contributor

Re: If Comcast drops channels from a package, am i eligible to end 2-year contract without penalty?

If you want to cancel your subscription, you had better do it within 30 days of being notified.  Look into streaming services.

Highlighted
Expert

Re: If Comcast drops channels from a package, am i eligible to end 2-year contract without penalty?


@Gig8 wrote:

If you want to cancel your subscription, you had better do it within 30 days of being notified.  Look into streaming services.


If you're in a contract, however, you will pay early termination fees.


I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Re: If Comcast drops channels from a package, am i eligible to end 2-year contract without penalty?

Not if the change is initiated by Comcast and “..negatively affects your Service(s)”
It’s right there in black and white.
“ you have the right to cancel your Service(s).”
There is nothing about early termination fees.
Question is, if channel removal constitutes a “material change”.
Highlighted
New Poster

Re: If Comcast drops channels from a package, am i eligible to end 2-year contract without penalty?

Yes, the contract states if any material changes affect your service you have 30 days to cancel, I believe it’s #4 of the contract
Highlighted
New Poster

Re: If Comcast drops channels from a package, am i eligible to end 2-year contract without penalty?

If any material change negatively affects your Service(s), you have the right to cancel your Service(s). Your continued receipt of the Service(s) for more than 30 days after the change, however, will constitute your acceptance of the change.
Highlighted
New Poster

Re: If Comcast drops crom a package, am i eligible to end 2-year contract without penalty?

If any material change negatively affects your Service(s), you have the right to cancel your Service(s). Your continued receipt of the Service(s) for more than 30 days after the change, however, will constitute your acceptance of the change.
Highlighted
New Poster

Re: If Comcast drops channels from a package, am i eligible to end 2-year contract without penalty?

This means that you have the right to cancel, the original contract is void if you dispute and cancel, basic contract laws. That have the right to change the original contract but it does not bind you to excepting the new terms unless you ignore it and continue to use their services for longer than 30days after the change takes effect. Right them send it certified returned receipt to your local comcast facility. Make sure to include a copy of their contract stating you have the right to cancel.
Highlighted
Expert

Re: If Comcast drops channels from a package, am i eligible to end 2-year contract without penalty?


@Dogden83 wrote:
This means that you have the right to cancel, the original contract is void if you dispute and cancel, basic contract laws. That have the right to change the original contract but it does not bind you to excepting the new terms unless you ignore it and continue to use their services for longer than 30days after the change takes effect. Right them send it certified returned receipt to your local comcast facility. Make sure to include a copy of their contract stating you have the right to cancel.

Yes, you have the right to cancel - you always have the right to cancel at any time - but if you're in a contract at the time you cancel, you will pay early termination fees.  There is nothing in that passage that negates the ETF.


I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Highlighted
Regular Contributor

Re: If Comcast drops channels from a package, am i eligible to end 2-year contract without penalty?

Again,

Where does it mention in the agreement the part about ETF or early termination fees?

Thanks


just an old, dried-up crusty dude!
Highlighted
Expert

Re: If Comcast drops channels from a package, am i eligible to end 2-year contract without penalty?


@Biff-Tannon wrote:

Again,

Where does it mention in the agreement the part about ETF or early termination fees?

Thanks


It doesn't.  It only says that you are free to cancel.  But, if you're in a contract you are subject to the ETF.  It does not say the ETF will be waived.

 

As I mentioned, you are free to cancel your subscription at any time.  But, you still must follow the contract.


I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Highlighted
New Poster

Re: If Comcast drops channels from a package, am i eligible to end 2-year contract without penalty?

it’s basic contract law, I am responsible for the ETF if I cancel my contract, however, once comcast makes material changes to the previous contract, that contract is now void unless i continue using the service past the 30day period. That passage doesn’t negate the ETF because there is no reason to state what the obvious is, the previous contract is void. If you continue to use service past 30 days and cancel then the ETF will apply. And to your point, in doesn’t explicitly say you would have to pay the ETF either in #4 of the agreement if comcast was to make the material changes and you decide to cancel.
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Re: If Comcast drops channels from a package, am i eligible to end 2-year contract without penalty?

That actually means i CAN sign a 2-year and if Disney channels are gone, i could get out of jail free. Interesting. Thanks to guys who read the agreement! 😁
Highlighted
Regular Contributor

Re: If Comcast drops channels from a package, am i eligible to end 2-year contract without penalty?


@Andru wrote:
That actually means i CAN sign a 2-year and if Disney channels are gone, i could get out of jail free. Interesting. Thanks to guys who read the agreement! 😁

IMO, this is all moot unless someone can say with certainty that losing any channel

constitutes a material change.  Otherwise, by not paying the ETF you don't think you owe, will surely

result in a call from a collection agency.