Community Forum

If Comcast drops channels from a package, am i eligible to end 2-year contract without penalty?

Regular Visitor

If Comcast drops channels from a package, am i eligible to end 2-year contract without penalty?

I am considering 2-year contract, primarily because of disney channels and shows. However we all heard of Disney starting its own network, and they will possibly pull their channels and content from other providers (netflix, ...) already this autmn.

It happend before, it wil happen again. Channels are being dropped from the packages all the time.

If that happens, am i eligible to terminate the 2-year term agreement without penalty?

I cannot find it anywhere explicetly stated in policies.

Expert

Re: If Comcast drops channels from a package, am i eligible to end 2-year contract without penalty?

Sorry. Nope.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Expert

Re: If Comcast drops channels from a package, am i eligible to end 2-year contract without penalty?

From the Comcast Agreement for Residential Services:

4. CHANGES TO SERVICES

Subject to applicable law, we have the right to change our Service(s), Xfinity Equipment, rates and charges, at any time with or without notice to you. We also may rearrange, delete, add to, or otherwise change programming or features or offerings contained in the Service(s), including, but not limited to, content, functionality, hours of availability, equipment requirements, speed, and upstream and downstream rate limitations. We may deliver any notice concerning changes to the Service(s) and our relationship with you, including notice of any change to this Agreement, in any one or more of the following ways, as determined in our sole discretion: (1) by posting it on www.xfinity.com or any other website about which you have been notified; (2) by mail or hand delivery to your Premises; (3) by e-mail to the e-mail address for your account in our records; or (4) by including the information on or with your bill for Service(s).

https://www.xfinity.com/Corporate/Customers/Policies/SubscriberAgreement

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Regular Visitor

It does not say that i dont have the right to cancel the contract if they do so.
Some basic lawyer reasoning means that I do.
Expert

@Andru wrote:
It does not say that i dont have the right to cancel the contract if they do so.

Actually, it does.  You agreed to the contract with that disclaimer in the Agreement.  If you terminate your services you will be charged an ETF.

Official Employee Digital Care

Hi, Andru. The Experts are right that while we may add or remove channels in any given lineup, you will be charged an Early Termination Fee if you're in an agreement and decide to end it prematurely. We really hope you choose not to do that, as we appreciate you as a customer. Please let us know what other questions you have. 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
New Poster

Do not sign a 2 year agreement with this company!! I signed a 2 year agreement after being forced out of my old comcast agreement and moving to xfinity. They are dropping channels from my line up left and they do not care at all and want me to pay the deactivation fee. DO NOT do it. 

Gold Problem Solver

@Andru wrote: It does not say that i dont have the right to cancel the contract if they do so.

The agreement goes on to say:

If any material change negatively affects your Service(s), you have the right to cancel your Service(s). Your continued receipt of the Service(s) for more than 30 days after the change, however, will constitute your acceptance of the change.

What that means exactly, I do not know.

New Poster

Regardless I am done. I tried to change some things like dropping the house phone and all the premium channels.... it was going to cost more per month. They are absoluley driving customers away. With all of the cord cutting technologies out there, you'd think the would be looking for ways to work with customers
New Poster

If you cared you would find a way to work the customer base
Expert

@dacypo wrote:
Regardless I am done. I tried to change some things like dropping the house phone and all the premium channels.... it was going to cost more per month. They are absoluley driving customers away. With all of the cord cutting technologies out there, you'd think the would be looking for ways to work with customers

When you bundle you're getting a discount on each service.  When you break the bundle you're considered having individual services at every day prices - no discount.

Frequent Visitor

No! Its called "Bait and Switch"

Regular Visitor

When I lease a car, for 2 years, I am getting a “discount”, too.
Now, imagine that few months into the lease, lessor comes ant takes away a wheel. He says: “well, now you have to pay extra for it.”
That is not OK, and is not allowed; in such case I will terminate my lease and return the car without penalties; the law will be on my side.
How come the same logic does not apply to 2-year tv package contracts?
Expert

@Andru wrote:
When I lease a car, for 2 years, I am getting a “discount”, too.
Now, imagine that few months into the lease, lessor comes ant takes away a wheel. He says: “well, now you have to pay extra for it.”
That is not OK, and is not allowed; in such case I will terminate my lease and return the car without penalties; the law will be on my side.
How come the same logic does not apply to 2-year tv package contracts?

Two different types of contracts.  Of course, the car lease may have disclaimers in it as well.  This is where caveat emptor [let the buyer beware] comes in.  Read the fine print and know your options.