Community Forum

I put the tv resolution at 2160p60

Problem Solver

I put the tv resolution at 2160p60

on my 4k box

 

What kind of Upscaling descaling is going on with comcast from my cable to my tv?

 

picture has a slight 4k signal

Expert

Re: I put the tv resolution at 2160p60

What do you mean by "slight 4k signal"?

 

What are you tring to watch?

 

X1 cable boxes do a poor job getting their 720p, or worse resulutions, to produce an acceptable picture on UHD televisions. Things aren't going to change until they get a true 4K cable-box.

 

I am giving my older Cisco HD cable-box TLC since it seems to give a better picture when up-scaled ot a 4K screen.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Problem Solver

Re: I put the tv resolution at 2160p60

I don't get the complaints saying the picture looks terrible on a 4k box with 4k tv ever since I plugged mine in I noticed a difference in the Picture quality. I think you need high signal levels to even run the 4k box and x1 system to make the picture look clean because on my tv the picture looks great it could be better but the picture is beautiful.

 

I get it there down scaling to 720p but I can't notice picture has that 4k sheen to it.

 

I love it.

 

 

Expert

Re: I put the tv resolution at 2160p60


@Pharrell wrote:

I don't get the complaints saying the picture looks terrible on a 4k box with 4k tv ever since I plugged mine in I noticed a difference in the Picture quality. I think you need high signal levels to even run the 4k box and x1 system to make the picture look clean because on my tv the picture looks great it could be better but the picture is beautiful.

 

I get it there down scaling to 720p but I can't notice picture has that 4k sheen to it.

 

I love it.

 

 


What people are commenting about is seen when watching sports like Golf. Actually; when seeing video with little movement and close up, the picture is quite acceptable. Once the move they camera, the grass will disappear on the green (looks like smooth Linoleum) while the camera follows the ball. Also; you will see changes of color on the green.

 

The problem is the way Comcast equipment handles going from 720p to 2160 to fill in all the extra pixels. Only 12% of the original pixels are filmed. The other 88% need to be synthesized by the television. That is the reason for the lack of detail. The process works better when there is less camera movement. The way Comcast equipment handles local 1080i channels even make those channels look worse. Sometimes we are better off watching the channels over the air with an antenna rather than use the cable.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Problem Solver

Re: I put the tv resolution at 2160p60

It looks better in HDR.

Expert

Re: I put the tv resolution at 2160p60


@Pharrell wrote:

It looks better in HDR.


Are you referring watching cable programs? 

There is currently no HDR for OTA, or standard cable, being produced.

 

The only source would be the replays of the Soccer matches in 4K / HDR.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!