Community Forum

How to I get Channel 3?

Frequent Visitor

How to I get Channel 3?

I am trying to play a VHS tape on my Samsung VCR.    Both the VCR and TV need to be set on Channel 3, but I cannot get my TV set to Channel 3.     Therefore, I can't play the tape.

Diamond Problem Solver

Re: How to I get Channel 3?

You would need the actual physical tv remote to physically change the tv’s channel. Or manually change the channel directly on the tv.

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!
Expert

@allenport wrote:

I am trying to play a VHS tape on my Samsung VCR.    Both the VCR and TV need to be set on Channel 3, but I cannot get my TV set to Channel 3.     Therefore, I can't play the tape.

You never stated how old your television was.

You will need to connect the VHS player using a coaxial cable to the Antenna (coaxial) connection on the television. Then turn on the the player and play a VHS tape. While playing the tape change the tv's source from cable to antenna. At this point you will need to do a search for analog channels using the tv remote. The search should find channel 3 as most likely the only analog channel found. From then on the channel should remain in the tv's memory when you switch the source to "Antenna".

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

How do I do a search for an Analog Channel on my Xfinity Remote?

I don't know how old the Samsung TV and VCR are.  Pretty old.  However, they were able to play VCR at one time.  Person that wired this stuff is now deceased, so therefore I don't know what all the connections are and can't see them either due to the way the TV is placed in a small corner.

When I do change channels on both digital and air (I have an antenna too), there is no channel 3.  It goes from 4 to 2.

Diamond Problem Solver

Disconnect the cable from the cable box, hook it up to the coax input, run a channel scan on the TV, when finished with the scan put the cable back on the cable box. See if Ch3 shows up

Regular Contributor

Two questions:

1. How is your VCR connected to your TV? For example, is it a coaxial cable, or three separate wires (usually one with red plugs, one with white, and one with yellow)?

2. How is your cable box connected to your TV? For example, is it directly connected, or does it now go through your VCR?

Expert

Evidently Allenport is unwilling, or unable, to move the television out far enough to check or change connections. He may need help from a friend or neighbor using our directions to set up the VHS tape player.

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Frequent Visitor

Thanks for all of your replies.  I think they will all be helpful once I am able to understand them.  I am a very non-technical female.  My late husband did all this wiring, and that is why I can't answer some of your questions yet.  He has all those wires grouped together and then stapled to the back of a cabinet where the TV and VCR sit.    When I read 'coaxial cable', I'm like ???  

Yes, that's how bad it is for some of us clueless people.

My gut feeling is that the problem can be solved with the VCR remote, which I do not have.  This is just a hunch.

Anyway, I wanted you all to know I appreciate the helpful replies.  It took me a while to even reply here because Comcast wasn't allowing me to log in.  

Expert

Thank you for your reply. The Comcast forum site has had problem for people logging on for the last 3 or 4 days. Some Experts are still having problems.

I think a neigbor or friend can help you out if you show them our directions.

Frequent Visitor

May I ask another basic question.   If I were to just have a TV connection (no VCR/DVD), how many cords need to be in the cable box?

I hardly think any of my friends or neighbors are able to help me with this.  I'd like to move this big flat screen TV out of its' current location and put a smaller TV in another room.  Wouldn't I need a Comcast person to come here for that?  If so, how do  I get one here?   Trying to work through the Comcast Service Reps is something I don't look forward to.

Diamond Problem Solver

There’s only one cable that goes to the box and another connection going from box to tv. If you swap tv’s, remove that cable (could be cables dependent on the type of connection) from old tv and put on the same spot of replacement tv.

Frequent Visitor

There is also a Zetta Guard 4 x 1 switch.  Do I need that for TV?

There is also a small black square thing with an Apple logo on it.  No clue what that is.

And then we have the connection to the house aerial and I have no idea what we would need that. I guess in order to watch tv if the cable goes out.

Diamond Problem Solver

The switch may be for multiple HDMI connections (cable box, DVD player etc) if the tv only has one hdmi port available

Regular Contributor

Where did you get the "channel 3" instruction from?

You say this is for a flat-screen TV, so it should have what is called a "digital tuner" - something that they didn't even have until after everybody stopped making VCRs.

Another question: pardon me for asking, but why do you even want to hook up a VCR? Is it to watch existing tapes? I don't think you will be able to record anything with it (something to do with the "digital tuner" I mentioned above), and besides, why would you want to, when you can just use your Comcast DVR?

Frequent Visitor

The reason I want to use the VCR was to see if some old tapes were good.  If they were, I was going to have them modifed to DVD.   I never recorded, ever.

As for where I got the channel 3 thing from, it was from Googling how to get a VCR to play with Xfinity.   This was one place, but it says 2,3 or 4.  https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/hooking-up-cable-tv-and-vcr

Well, as you can see, I am clearly in over my head with this.  My friends do not have comcast.  They have the Dish.  

Also, the more I play around with this, the more I screw up the TV.  I ended up getting a black screen a while ago and the voice command wouldn't work.  

I'm going to start disconnecting cords.  The heck with it.  I watch my TV on my Big Mac so I really don't need the TV.

Regular Contributor

@allenport wrote:

The reason I want to use the VCR was to see if some old tapes were good.  If they were, I was going to have them modifed to DVD.   I never recorded, ever.

As for where I got the channel 3 thing from, it was from Googling how to get a VCR to play with Xfinity.   This was one place, but it says 2,3 or 4.  https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/hooking-up-cable-tv-and-vcr

That was for doing something you don't need to do. I would worry about getting Xfinity working with your TV again first.

Between you and me, it might just be easier to go to wherever you would have gone to to do the VCR to DVD conversion, and see if they will let you look at the tapes before deciding whether or not to convert them. Otherwise, not only do you have to connect the VCR to the TV, but you have to figure out how to switch back and forth between the TV signal and the VCR signal. (Usually, there's a "Video" or "Source" button on the TV remote that switches from one to another, but I have seen some strange things.)

Expert

If you were to go to Amazon, or Best Buy, Internet sites you would likely find the movies you like from the VHS version that are dirt cheap already on DVD's.

Frequent Visitor

It wasn't a movie I wanted to play.  It was old video from holidays with my late husband and I.  Also video of my late parents.

Anyway, I disconnected the VCR and now I have no cable TV.   I can still get Air TV.   

Expert

@allenport wrote:

It wasn't a movie I wanted to play.  It was old video from holidays with my late husband and I.  Also video of my late parents.

Anyway, I disconnected the VCR and now I have no cable TV.   I can still get Air TV.   

I understand your problem now. My 4 brothers and I have managed to transfer home videos going back to 1944 which were filmed in "8" and "Super 8" of myself as a baby and other relatives. If your husband was the only one doing it, you have a real problem.

We managed to get our's on DVD's and passed them out to our relatives that wanted them

Regular Contributor

@allenport wrote:

We'll get you through this.

First of all, I assume you have a cable box of some sort (and there should be a cable running from the wall into the back of it)? Did that go through the VCR, or straight into the TV?

Second, you described a bunch of wires grouped together, Can you describe them - that is, what do their ends look like? Include colors where possible.

Expert

If you happen to have an old VHS player they did not have a remote. You run them from the controls on the player. There was a small switch for channel 3 or 4. You choose the one that was not a local over the air channel where you live now. The switch might be on either the front or back of the player.

My original directions here were for connecting an old VHS player to your television. I did this for a friend just two years ago. He insisted in being able to watch them on his newer television.

Frequent Visitor

Right now there are two connections from the cable box to the TV.  Both are black.  One is Cable In and the other is Cable Out to TV.    Note that there is a position to the right of the Cable In port that says Cable Out.  Nothing is plugged in there.

There is a white cord which I believe is the coaxial cable.  It is not connected to the TV.  It is connected underneath the shelf the TV set on, and there are some kind of switches there.

These cords are go into the wall and it looks like to the basement.

There aren't a lot of other cords now because I removed them all.  The one left is for the aerial and that is why I am still able to get Air TV.

It is possible that the TV needed the VCR in order to work.  When I hit the TV Input button, what comes up on the left of the screen is AV1-DVD combo.   Of course the remote doesn't work, because it only works if there is a cable connection.

Frequent Visitor

Perhaps I could take a photo will my cell phone of this mess?

Frequent Visitor

Thanks.  I've given up on the VCR thing now.   I want to concentrate on getting the darn TV to work.  I used hardly any of the features on the control.   I'm a 1-2 channel person and there was no need to use the other features.

Expert

@allenport wrote:

Perhaps I could take a photo will my cell phone of this mess?

Yes; a few pictures with the switch-box included would help a lot.

Regular Contributor

Pardon me for asking, but how many channels do you get?

I have a feeling your "cable box" is one of those old-style "digital to analog" ones they gave out when the country's TV system switched years ago. Does the "Cable Out to TV" port look like you need to screw something into it - and does that white cable you mentioned look like you could screw the cable into it?

If so, and the other end of that white cable is not connected to anything, then screw one end into the "Cable Out to TV" port on your box, and look for a similar port probably labeled "Cable" (or maybe "Antenna") on your TV, then screw it in to there.

Frequent Visitor

I don't think it's the old style, but that would depend on what is old.  That cable box is not that old.  We had Comcast out here not that long ago when we got that box.

I get many many channels.  How would I know how many?   I would guess they are the same number I get when I stream on my Pc.   

The cable out to TV cord is not a screw in type.  It snaps in.  The white cable looks like it screws in but it's hard to tell.  Wait till you see the photos.  Sadly, I'm just as incompetent with the cell phone as I am with the TV.

Regular Contributor

Got it. For a moment, I thought you had one of those "basic" boxes that only got channels 1-99.

While we're waiting for the photos, may I ask, do you see any cables that you think would fit into the cable box's output port - and are they hooked up to anything else?

Frequent Visitor

The cable box output port (which is the 2nd port, right of the input port) has a gold screw in it.  

I have not disconnected anything from the back of the TV.   I don't think there was ever anything connected in that port.

I sent two photos a while back from my cell phone with has AT&T service and they did not arrive.  This happens a lot.  A couple photos were too large to send.   I will try taking photos with my IPAD.

Frequent Visitor

image1.JPGagainst back wallimage3.JPG

This is the best quality I could get due to the position of these things and lack of light.

image2.JPGunder the shelf where TV sat

Regular Contributor

I am assuming one of the two wires from that "splitter" (the device with one wire going in one end and two going into the other) is the one that is connected to the "in" port on your cable box. You need to connect the cable box to your TV, and I can see possible three ways to do it, depending on what connections you have on the back of your TV.

If you have one that looks like the one for the "output to TV" on your cable box, then you need to connect a coaxial cable (it looks like the one that goes into your cable box right now) to that, as well as the "output to TV" port on your cable box. However, that may already be in use by your aerial.

Another way is if you have that set of yellow/red/white wires I mentioned before. Hook one end of each one to the yellow/red/white ports on the back of the cable box, and if there are similar-colored ports on your TV, connect the other ends to those.

A third way is if your TV has a long, thin port marked "HDMI", and you have a cable with long, thin plugs on each end; one end goes into the cable box, and the other goes into the TV.

Can you get a picture of the back of your TV - including where your aerial is connected to it?

Another question: I assume one of the two cables on one side of the splitter is the one that goes into the cable box. Where does the other one (on the same side) go?

Frequent Visitor

@ThatDonGuy wrote:

I am assuming one of the two wires from that "splitter" (the device with one wire going in one end and two going into the other) is the one that is connected to the "in" port on your cable box. You need to connect the cable box to your TV, and I can see possible three ways to do it, depending on what connections you have on the back of your TV.

If you have one that looks like the one for the "output to TV" on your cable box, then you need to connect a coaxial cable (it looks like the one that goes into your cable box right now) to that, as well as the "output to TV" port on your cable box. However, that may already be in use by your aerial.

No, the black wire that is in the 'in' port goes directly from the cable box to a hole in the floor.  Where that hole leads I don't know.   The splitter thing connects to some apparatus that is underneath the table.   Because the TV was working before I removed the VCR and various related cords, I don't see why I would now have to connect more things to the TV.  Nothing has been removed from the back of the TV.

Another way is if you have that set of yellow/red/white wires I mentioned before. Hook one end of each one to the yellow/red/white ports on the back of the cable box, and if there are similar-colored ports on your TV, connect the other ends to those.
Those yellow/red/white cords are still connected to the back of the TV.  I have tried connecting them to the cable box and it made no difference.
A third way is if your TV has a long, thin port marked "HDMI", and you have a cable with long, thin plugs on each end; one end goes into the cable box, and the other goes into the TV.  That I don't know.  I'll have to look when I have more light.

Can you get a picture of the back of your TV - including where your aerial is connected to it?   Yes I can, but it'll have to wait until tomorrow.  There is minimal light available where the TV is.   I am wondering if I asked Comcast to send a new signal if that would solve the problem.   Just a hunch.

Another question: I assume one of the two cables on one side of the splitter is the one that goes into the cable box. Where does the other one (on the same side) go?

Regular Contributor

@allenport wrote:

@ThatDonGuy wrote:

Those yellow/red/white cords are still connected to the back of the TV.  I have tried connecting them to the cable box and it made no difference.

Try it again (make sure the cable box is turned on first, if you can) - then if nothing appears on the TV, try pressing the "input" (or "source") button on the TV a few times. I have a feeling those were connected to the VCR, and the VCR was connected directly to the cable box for some reason.

Frequent Visitor

I think so too.   Isn't the cable box always turned on?  I don't think there is an on/off switch on the cable box.    The 'input' button you mention, is that the one on the remote?  If I push the input button, it will go to Air and then if pushed a second time, it will go to the Cable.  

Regular Contributor

@allenport wrote:

The 'input' button you mention, is that the one on the remote?  If I push the input button, it will go to Air and then if pushed a second time, it will go to the Cable.  

Yes. If the yellow/red/white cables are hooked up correctly, "cable" should be getting the signal from those three cables. I assume it is saying "cable" on the TV. If you still can't get anything on the screen, we can pick this up tomorrow when you can show me pictures of the back of the TV.

Frequent Visitor

satimage1.jpg

Those white cables do not attach to the back of the TV.  They attach to a couple little boxes that are under the table the TV sits on.  There is a earlier photo of what they look like.   Attaching the colored wires to the port doesn't do anything to bring up the cable TV.

satimage2.jpeg

Frequent Visitor

Ok, I just got off the phone with Comcast.  I got a good customer service rep.  We went through all the connections and all mine are correct.   Yet, my cable box is showing off line and the rep doesn't know why.  They are sending somone out on Monday.

Regular Contributor

Sounds good - the tech can probably dig through that nest of cables and see what goes where as well.

I did notice one thing; there is an HDMI cable plugged into the back of your TV (it's up and to the left of the yellow/white/red cables). Since you said your "input" options are "air" and "cable," I don't think you are supposed to have both HDMI and yellow/white/red cables plugged in; the TV may be confused as to which ones to use. What confuses me is, that HDMI cable should be plugged into a cable box, but I didn't see it plugged into yours. Do you happen to see an HDMI plug (it's long and thin, rather than round like the other ones) that's not plugged into anything?

Also, do you happen to know the manufacturer and model number of the TV? If I can download a copy of the manual, maybe there's some setting we are missing.

Frequent Visitor

On the cable box, there is no port for HDML.  There are the words HDML printed on the box, but there is no port below it.

The rep said I need the multi-colored cables.  They have always been connected to both TV and cable box, and the TV was working like that.   

Frequent Visitor

That HDML cable that is plugged into the TV leads with some other cables to that hole in the floor.  Who knows where that goes.   Even the service rep did not understand some of this contraption.   I will try to find out Monday when the guy comes.   Then I'll report here and maybe it might help another user.

I have another 'dumb' question.  I had a smaller unused flat screen tv.   Can I hook up that VCR to that TV without the TV being connected to cable or air?  In other words, do you need television service to work a vcr with a tv?

Regular Contributor

I have another 'dumb' question.  I had a smaller unused flat screen tv.   Can I hook up that VCR to that TV without the TV being connected to cable or air?  In other words, do you need television service to work a vcr with a tv?

You do not need television service to connect a VCR to a TV. However, you may need another set of yellow/white/red cables to connect the two.