Community Forum

History Channel and Vikings

Frequent Visitor

History Channel and Vikings

History Channel nows FORCES the viewer to watch commercials, even if Vikings has been recorded.  When attempting to fast forward during commercials with a pre-recorded episode on my DVR, the message pops up that says, paraphrasing, "there is a problem with the DVR recording, so History Channel is switching to On Demand, which of course means that fast forwarding during commercials, and now prohibits fast forwarding through the progam itself.  This is phony and only a ploy that allows History Channel to manipulate customers and force them to watch something they don't wish to.  Vikings has always been one of my favorite series and the new restrictions are frustrating.  I''m hoping Comcast takes over  this program  so we don't have to put up with numerous, long and repetitive commercials during Vikings and other showss  I am protesting in the strongest possible terms this cynical and arbitrary move  by HIstory Channel.

Official Employee

Re: History Channel and Vikings

It just meant that that episode didn’t record properly and the DVR is sending you to the next best copy, use the pg up button to skip through commercial. Press exit three times and press 0030 so your Remote is set to 30 seconds with each button press

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Regular Contributor

The same thing happened to me this week as well, but with NBC and Manifest - but I wouldn't call it "phony"; sometimes, problems happen with recordings, so the DVR will show the On Demand version, which, as you discovered, does not let you fast forward through the commercials.

New Poster

I have the same problem and my wife is seeing this on several of her shows as well. I think the DVRs have been modified to make you watch the ads even though it is recorded.

We have 2 of these DVRs and it is not an inexpensive investment in entertainment. All I will say is that if it is not fixed soon we will return these DVRs and pull the cable plug. I'm sure there are many people like me that are tired of paying a lot of money for cable and are on the edge of pulling the plug. 

Regular Contributor

@Edre wrote:

I have the same problem and my wife is seeing this on several of her shows as well. I think the DVRs have been modified to make you watch the ads even though it is recorded.

We have 2 of these DVRs and it is not an inexpensive investment in entertainment. All I will say is that if it is not fixed soon we will return these DVRs and pull the cable plug. I'm sure there are many people like me that are tired of paying a lot of money for cable and are on the edge of pulling the plug. 

No. I have recordings from Thursday and Friday that I can watch while still being able to fast forward through the commercials. The "can't fast forward through commercials" ability is limited to On Demand programs, and this is not limited to Xfinity by any means - U-Verse does the same thing, and I wouldn't be surprised if this is required by the networks as a condition for allowing the cable companies access to On Demand programs in the first place.

New Poster

Well all I can say if this is how it's going to go wether it is the channel or Xfinity we may be nearing the end our cable subscription days and unplug for less expensive entertainment. 

Expert

@Edre wrote:

Well all I can say if this is how it's going to go whether it is the channel or Xfinity we may be nearing the end our cable subscription days and unplug for less expensive entertainment. 

The companies paying for commercials have not been happy with people ability to fast forward through commercials. Many programs now contain code to stop the process. If you try to F.F. during a commercial all you accomplish is F.F. through the next program segment (not the commercial).

You are going to see this happen where ever to move to. It was never meant to be the purpose of a DRV.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

The latest Vikings episode was restricted for the SECOND time, the previous week to preventing fast forward thru commercials only, but the latest episode restricted  fast forward to BOTH.   I have a brand new DVR from Comcast, works perfectly for recording all other program,  so I am sticking to my opinion that History Channel is using a false reason to switch from DVR recording to On Demand, for monetary reasons of course.

Regular Contributor

There was a nation wide problem with DVR playback for shows recorded Wednesday and early Thursday.  There was not a Comcast conspiracy to make anyone watch commercials. The problem was fixed for me and others starting around noon Thursday, but evidently they couldn't retroactively fix Wednesday's shows.  So that is why everything but Wednesday's shows seem normal as usual.