Community Forum

HBO Max

Highlighted
New Poster

HBO Max

Hello,

Does anyone know if we will get any deals on the new HBO Max streaming service if we are already an HBO subscriber through Xfinity? 

Highlighted
New Poster

Re: HBO Max

Has a deal been reached with Comcast and HBO to carry the HBO Max Content when it launches in May, if you are an existing HBO subscriber through Comcast
Highlighted
New Poster

Many providers have agreed to include it for free if you have HBO. So far it's only AT&T/DirecTV and I can't remember which cable company. Xfinity is not one of them... Yet. Can someone from Xfinity answer this question please.
Highlighted
Regular Contributor

Charter Spectrum is the cable company that recently signed a deal with WarnerMedia aka HBO.

I don’t think Comcast has yet. But they tend to drag their feet when it comes to new additions or requests.
Highlighted
Regular Contributor

I hope they include it as part of the HBO subscription considering it costs/is worth $15 to get HBO, which is the same price for HBONow and HBOMAX. Otherwise, we would have to pay a second time for HMAX if we are locked into a package, which isn't fair. And there is no way to just subscribe to a full package of cable channels without paying for HBO, so it isn't like we can just change to a different plan without losing many cable channels (that I watch). Getting rid of most of STARZ/Encore was a huge disappointment for me (I really miss all of those channels) . I hope Comcast does the right thing this time.

Highlighted
Contributor

I have an ala carte package so if they don't make a deal for HBO Max then all I'd do is get rid of my HBO subscription with Xfinity and just sign up separately for HBO Max.  I would hope they realize that many subscribers would do the same exact thing so making a deal to include HBO Max would make the most sense for Xfinity if not they're gonna be losing a ton of HBO subscriptions.  If not at the very least lower the price for HBO because at $15 with no HBO Max in reality it would make no sense for any Xfinity customer to sign up for HBO.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

HBO Max for Comcast HBO subscribers

Does anyone know the status of customers which are currently getting HBO through Comcast whether HBO MAX will be available with the Comcast HBO subscription ?

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Re: HBO Max for Comcast HBO subscribers

Many companies are not settled for HBO Max: Comcast, Dish Network/Sling TV, Roku, Amazon Prime, Verizon and Altice USA. 

Highlighted
New Poster

Honestly I really hope HBO Max will be avalible it has a lot of stuff I enjoy and I want to see the Max Originals even the Elmo one.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Thanks for your response. It appears with no apparent agreement at this time, I will be dropping HBO from Comcast and subscribing to HBO MAX early as HBO NOW subscribers will automatically become HBO MAX customers on May 27. HBO is also discounting HBO Max to 11.99 for 12 mos. if you sign up early. Not sure why anyone would want to continue subscribing to HBO on Comcast other then part of the channel lineup, as HBO MAX will have much more content.

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

But will you be able to access on Infinity?  Also did you know that Disney xwill be streaming the film version of Hamilton  on July 3rd and Comcast/infinity users cannot access?

Highlighted
New Poster

HBO max

What's the deal with hbo max. Is it an additional fee or does it come with hbo?

Highlighted
Diamond Problem Solver

Re: HBO max

Nothings been announced yet

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!
Highlighted
New Poster

HBO continues to reach agreements with various providers. Xfinity is noticeably absent  I agree, if Comcast/Xfinity is unable to reach an agreement with HBO to include HBO Max with our subscriptions, I will be downgrading my subscription and remove all Premium Channels.

Highlighted
New Poster

I just spoke with HBO/HBO Now and the biggest issue I think people are having is being able to watch it on a TV vs another device once it releases. Since they have yet to reach a deal with Comcast, Amazon, or Sony many will only be able to watch it through a smart TV (Samsung only currently I believe) or through a device where the app can be downloaded. For me I would have to purchase an Apple TV ($200), purchase a Roku ($29.99 + if the deal goes through), connect my computer to my TV via an HDMI, or watch on one of my Apple devices. I hope Comcast, Amazon and/or Sony picks it up soon. Luckily I don't have HBO through Comcast at the moment so I won't have to cancel that. I've been doing a lot of research today and I finally gave in and gave them a call. I hope this is helpful. 

Highlighted
New Poster

With Cinemax being removed and replace with Hitz (but add a S in the front), then Starz being removed, they better reach a deal asap or else my services will be downgraded as well

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

The issue is not Comcast dropping HBO. You will still see HBO in the Comcast channel lineup if you pay for it with your Comcast bill. It is just HBO Max will have more content to watch for the same price you pay Comcast to have the ability to have it in  your Channel lineup. HBO GO streaming app is free to those who have a Cable Subscriber and is the same content as HBO NOW which is currently the Streaming app for those who do not want to pay cable.

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

People have mentioned downgrading their service to remove HBO so that they can subscribe to HBOMAX and not have to pay for the service twice. The problem is that there are NO packages without premium channels that include ALL of the same channels you get in the packages that bundle with premium channels. You aren't just dropping HBO, you are dropping tens of channels (not sure exactly how many), and many of those are ones I watch frequently.

The only alternative to a bundle with HBO is the similar one with Netflix instead. I already have Netflix, so I don't even want to consdier that (plus I won't do X1 and I am using one of their better older modems (without router), so I cannot use a FLEX box).

Comcast needs to make the deal because HBO Go, if ordered as an add-on, is the same price as HBOMAX. They need to replace the HBO in our packages with HMX so that we can keep all of the HBO channels and also have the full new streaming library on the app. We already pay for it.

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Unfortunately, with my package, I would pay more by dropping the package and getting just the channels I want. For me, it's time to cut the cord!!
Highlighted
Regular Visitor

I was going to drop all my premium channels since they are so undependable. Comcast can drop anything they want. However, you are right. If I drop the premium channels, I have to drop a lot of channels I watch. I am now considering dropping Comcast.
Highlighted
New Poster

Thanks for posting this. I didn't even think of the fact that in my bedroom I only have the Amazon firestick and wouldn't be able to download the app.
This whole thing is annoying, 3-days out and no agreement with Comcast or Amazon. They've had plenty of time.
I will cancel my HBO with Comcast, as at least I have a smart TV in my living room.
Highlighted
Contributor

Will Comcast let me downgrade (removing HBO and subscribing separately to HBO Max) if I am still under contract?  I still have four months to go on my so-called Quad Play package.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

I will be dropping HBO tomorrow and switching to max if Comcast doesn’t resolve this today.
Highlighted
New Poster

I did that yesterday, I hope it wasn't premature but they've had more than enough time to work this out!
Highlighted
Administrator

**UPDATE 06/02/2020**

HBO Max, a new streaming service that offers the entire HBO service, including linear channels and On Demand programming, as well as original programming and movies and TV shows from Warner Bros, CNN, TNT, TBS, DC and New Line, is now available to Xfinity customers.

All Xfinity HBO subscribers, including Xfinity Internet-only customers with a Flex device, can now use their Xfinity credentials to sign in to the HBO Max website or app and access the service’s full content library at no additional cost.

**Original Message**

All,

Thank you for posting your questions here in the Xfinity Forum. In the coming days, all Xfinity HBO subscribers, including Internet-only customers with a Flex device, can use their Xfinity ID and password to sign in to the HBO Max website or app and access the service’s full content library at no additional cost. We will notify customers when the HBO Max app is available on X1 and Flex.

Once it launches fully to all our customers we will update this post and share additional details here in the Xfinity Forum.  Thank you in advance for your continued patience. 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Highlighted
Valued Contributor

HBO Max to Comcast Subscribers?

HBO Max has cleared one of the last remaining distribution hurdles in its streaming rollout, announcing a distribution deal with Comcast, the No. 1 U.S. cable provider.

The deal makes HBO Max, which launched earlier Wednesday, available to customers of Comcast’s Xfinity X1 video package and Flex, a broadband video offering that is free for Comcast subscribers. Similar to other deals struck by HBO Max, existing HBO subscribers on Xfinity HBO will get access to HBO Max at no additional cost, starting Wednesday. New customers will be able to purchase HBO Max directly through Xfinity in the coming days.

I was able to get the app on my TV, and used my Comcast login to activate, but I'm not seeing the Max app on the Comcast menu on my  xg1-v4.

Highlighted
Diamond Problem Solver

Re: HBO Max to Comcast Subscribers?

From this link
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cnet.com/google-amp/news/hbo-max-deal-with-comcast-unlocks-max-for-...

. Though HBO customers on X1 and Flex plans can watch HBO Max on the web and on any devices that already support the service, it still isn't available to watch on their TVs with Comcast's boxes. The companies are still working to bring an HBO Max app to Comcast's X1 and Flex cable platforms, they said.

For future updates refer to this thread
https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Channels-and-Programming/HBO-Max/td-p/3283181

We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Highlighted
New Poster

HBO Max

I read this morning that X1 users will get HBO Max at no additional charge if we are subscribed to HBO. My package includes HBO. Is this true? Thanks

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

HBO Max

My HBO Now account predated my signing on as an Xfinity customer, so that service is billed through GooglePay. Do I need to switch my membership over to Comcast to be able to directly access HBO Max through my cable box? Thank you!

Highlighted
Diamond Problem Solver

Yes or through HBO but right now that isn’t on cable boxes yet

Highlighted
Administrator

@Tom557 

Welcome to the Xfinity Forum and thank you for posting your question here. As mentioned by @CCAndrew if you would like to receive HBO Max for free from Xfinity you must be an Xfinity HBO subscriber (including Xfinity Internet-only customers with a Flex device) and have Xfinity My Account credentials. You can use your Xfinity credentials to sign in to the HBO Max website or app and access the service’s full content library at no additional cost.

Please let us know if you have any additional questions. 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Does subscribing to X1 premier pro (which has HBO as part of the package) count towards this?  Or do you have to separately subsribe to HBO?

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

@UNCNU

Any subscription to HBO through Comcast, whether as part of a bundle package or as an add-on premium channel sub, entitles you to access the HBO Max service.  For now, the app is not available on Comcast-provided (X1) devices, but you can log in to the HBO Max website or app with your Comcast credentials on any supported device (see below).  Note, in particular, that AT&T has yet to work out deals with Amazon or Roku for their streaming devices to carry the HBO Max app.  But a deal with Roku is almost certainly in the offing, while Amazon is a bit of a stickier wicket.

For the full list of currently supported devices, see https://help.hbomax.com/Answer/Detail/20

Highlighted
New Poster

I'm paying for HBO Max but can't get HBO or HBO Max on my TV.  I've called customer service and just get the recording.  What steps can I take instead of just cancwelling HBO,

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Are you subscribing to HBO/HBO Max through Comcast?  If not and you have taken your subscription directly from WarnerMedia or through a third-party service such as Amazon, Roku, or AppleTV+, then you will not get the HBO linear cable TV channel in your Comcast channel line-up.

OTOH, if your HBO sub is through your Comcast CATV account, then you should have the HBO linear channel(s).  The HBO Max streaming app, however, is not yet available on the Comcast system but is anticipated to be deployed to X1 STB's soon--perhaps before the end of this month.  Until then, you can stream HBO Max from the app on your Android TV display or media device or mobile device (or on your PC from the web portal hbomax.com).  Additionally, most mobile devices (such as cell phones or tablets) will allow you to cast the stream to your TV.
Highlighted
Most Valued Poster

Re: HBO max

@CCAndrew

@ComcastJessie put an update on another thread dated early June abou HBO MAX and said it was now available  on X1 and we could sign on thru the website or the App. Its not listed in my X1 apps on my TV and when I tried to reply to her post it took me back to the forum home page and I tried twice. So....why is it not included in my X1 apps. It shows 'included' in my package. I used voice remote and it said to sign up thru website..what  website and please tell me whats going on and thanks. I am strictly referring to HBO MAX on TV not other devices.

Highlighted
Most Valued Poster

@CCAndrew wrote:

@CCAndrew wrote:

===

@CCAndrew   

Its Oct 12 and still no app on X1 box so I can sign in. How are we supposed to watch HBO MAX on TV?

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Terri,

See my post directly above yours. 

Until such time as Comcast adds the HBO Max streaming app to the X1 ecosystem, you will have to rely on a third-party device (e.g., your TV or a streaming media device) for the source of the stream.  If your display allows it, you can also cast the stream from a mobile device.

Highlighted
Diamond Problem Solver

It hasn’t been released to X1 yet check this last update made, the only other early June comment made was the one further up this thread
https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Channels-and-Programming/HBOMax-not-compatible-with-older-HBO-bundle-p...

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/hbo-max

Highlighted
Most Valued Poster

@chi_guy501 wrote:

Terri,

See my post directly above yours. 

Until such time as Comcast adds the HBO Max streaming app to the X1 ecosystem, you will have to rely on a third-party device (e.g., your TV or a streaming media device) for the source of the stream.  If your display allows it, you can also cast the stream from a mobile device.

--

Yep I saw your post but Comcast Jessie said it was on X1 when she posted in early June  that it was on X1 which to me means it should show up on my Apps on the TV.  You included TV as a third party device.......I don't understand what you meant. I only want to access if from my TV via the cable box.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Terri,

It was--and still is AFAIK--destined to be included in the X1 apps.  However, Comcast must write the coding for the app to function on their devices and this can take time.  The launch has apparently been delayed, perhaps due in part to the pandemic.  Thus, Jessie was probably not incorrect--although in retrospect a bit overly optimistic--when she posted about its availability.  In fact, the last word was that it was due by the end of September, which has not held true.

In the meantime, you can not access the app via your X1 STB.  If you have a "smart" TV, as almost all displays are these days, you can look for the HBO Max app in your app search feature.   If the TV's operating system is Android TV (e.g., Sony, TCL, Hisense), you will most likely find it there, in addition to most late-model Samsungs.  It will also be coming soon to Roku TV and Roku streaming devices.  And you can also use your Xfinity sign-in credentials to access HBO Max at its web site, HBOMax.com.

Otherwise, you can use a supported media streaming device (e.g., Nvidia Shield TV or Apple TV) connected to your TV's HDMI input.  Or you can cast the stream from a compatible mobile device such as a tablet or smart phone.  For more detailed information and instructions, see the below HBO Max Support web page:

Which devices work with HBO Max?

Highlighted
Most Valued Poster

@CCAndrew wrote:
It hasn’t been released to X1 yet check this last update made, the only other early June comment made was the one further up this thread
https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Channels-and-Programming/HBOMax-not-compatible-with-older-HBO-bundle-p...

I went to the HBO MAX website and  chose Xfinity as my provider and  it did not ask me for my Comcast id/password. It asked to me to create an HBO MAX acccount which I did. It only wanted my name and email.   Then I checked and its  still not on X1  as an app. When I use voice remote for HBO MAX it still says 'its coming' but I am able to  get the shows,etc by choosing 'play free to me' but I am not sure thats any different than it was before I  created the account on their website because I never tried to watch anything that way. So now I have no clue if I am really signed up for it or not because you say its not on X1 yet.  I ASSUME that when it comes to X1 it will appear as any APP? Do we have a clue when that might be?
I wish they had just not said anything about it until it was fully available on X1 instead of saying "its coming".  <SIGH>

Highlighted
Most Valued Poster

Thanks Chi-guy,

I will just have to be patient I guess. I have zero desire to access it on my phone or tablet so I will try to forgot it even exists for the time being. I just wish they would not tell us its here or its coming without definitive dates.

Terri

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Terri,

Here's another alternative for you if you decide you would rather not wait for X1:  Purchase the new Chromecast with Google TV ($50 at most retailers).  It is a very promising, feature-rich, reasonably priced streaming media device that you connect to your TV (or sound bar or AV receiver, if you are using one) via HDMI.  The X1 is a closed ecosystem and only supports a very limited number of apps; it is thus a good idea to have at least one other streaming source.  I think that you will like what it has to offer, and at any rate it will afford you immediate access to HBO Max on your TV.

Chromecast with Google TV

Highlighted
Diamond Problem Solver

@TerriB
Can you post a link to Jessie’s post to see what you’re referring to?

Highlighted
Most Valued Poster

@CCAndrew wrote:
@TerriB
Can you post a link to Jessie’s post to see what you’re referring to?

You betcha..this was posted by Jessie on June 2nd

https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Channels-and-Programming/HBO-Max/m-p/3377467#M114683

Unless I have totally lost my mind  Andrew posted today that..."The only other early June comment made was the one further up this thread this today ." That is  not accurate because the one I just referred you to is by the same author...Jessie  ..

Highlighted
Most Valued Poster

@chi_guy501 wrote:

Terri,

Here's another alternative for you if you decide you would rather not wait for X1:  Purchase the new Chromecast with Google TV ($50 at most retailers).  It is a very promising, feature-rich, reasonably priced streaming media device that you connect to your TV (or sound bar or AV receiver, if you are using one) via HDMI.  The X1 is a closed ecosystem and only supports a very limited number of apps; it is thus a good idea to have at least one other streaming source.  I think that you will like what it has to offer, and at any rate it will afford you immediate access to HBO Max on your TV.

Chromecast with Google TV

---

Thanks for the suggestion but we just  don't  have the need to stream other than whats available on X1 . 

Highlighted
Diamond Problem Solver

The first link is the one I was referring to and nowhere does it mention HBO app on X1. In fact, X1 isn’t mentioned in that post at all. A re-reading may be necessary. The app mentioned would have a mobile version of HBO Max.

Second link is from August to give you additional information

Highlighted
Most Valued Poster

@CCAndrew wrote:
The first link is the one I was referring to and nowhere does it mention HBO app on X1. In fact, X1 isn’t mentioned in that post at all. A re-reading may be necessary. The app mentioned would have a mobile version of HBO Max.

Second link is from August to give you additional information

=========

I am pasting Jessie's post for clarification....one says the HBO MAX service is available to Xfinity customers and does not say which devices. The other says we will be notified when its available on X1 and Flex.  Sorry that you don't find this confusing. When someone tells me I can sign up for the service that tells me I can use it. I am not going to beat this dead horse any longer but  judging by all the comments about the timing of and signing up for the service (long before I got involved) tells me the communication from Comcast has been muddy at best.  Customers would have been better served to not hear anything about 'in the coming days' or 'will be notified', etc in connection with HBO MAX until it was a reality or very close to it. I think you can see by user comments that its a mess.

Administrator

**UPDATE 06/02/2020**

HBO Max, a new streaming service that offers the entire HBO service, including linear channels and On Demand programming, as well as original programming and movies and TV shows from Warner Bros, CNN, TNT, TBS, DC and New Line, is now available to Xfinity customers.

All Xfinity HBO subscribers, including Xfinity Internet-only customers with a Flex device, can now use their Xfinity credentials to sign in to the HBO Max website or app and access the service’s full content library at no additional cost.

**Original Message**

All,

Thank you for posting your questions here in the Xfinity Forum. In the coming days, all Xfinity HBO subscribers, including Internet-only customers with a Flex device, can use their Xfinity ID and password to sign in to the HBO Max website or app and access the service’s full content library at no additional cost. We will notify customers when the HBO Max app is available on X1 and Flex.

Once it launches fully to all our customers we will update this post and share additional details here in the Xfinity Forum.  Thank you in advance for your continued patience. 

Highlighted
New Poster

I cannot get it but it says I have as a part of subscription!