Community Forum

Gray screen with coding suddenly appearing

New Poster

Gray screen with coding suddenly appearing

The other day, without warning a gray screen started randomly appearing in the middle of watching something.  On the screen are lines of code.  Multiple times it has been what is in the attached photo.   There’s also one that makes reference to scheduling.  Any idea if this is a Comcast thing or my Sony TV?

D1E01492-B511-4DE7-A291-84D6F0C6FB5A.jpeg

Diamond Problem Solver

Re: Gray screen with coding suddenly appearing

Is that through the Stream app or cable box?

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!
New Poster

Cable box.  We will be watching tv and suddenly this shows up. We lose audio. It goes away when I select the cable box input on the tv. It goes back to live tv. 

New Poster

It just happened again while I was casting from my iPad to the TV.  I wasn’t using the cable box so I guess it’s a TV issue. 

Diamond Problem Solver

It’s kind of weird to be a tv issue because it’s referencing showtime/Ray Donovan but I can honestly say I’ve never seen that before. Do you have a showtime app on your tv? I would say next time you see it pull the hdmi connection out of the cable box and see if it disappears. If it doesn’t you know what it is

We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Expert

I would get the box exchanged. There is no way correct this issue.

Something in the QAM caused the coding to break and fail running properly.

The listing is coding to locate a program and failing to  locate program for output as a screen image.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Regular Visitor

I am having the exact same issue. Exact same text on the screen word for word. Has anyone found a resolution?

@Looseleafpaper wrote:

The other day, without warning a gray screen started randomly appearing in the middle of watching something.  On the screen are lines of code.  Multiple times it has been what is in the attached photo.   There’s also one that makes reference to scheduling.  Any idea if this is a Comcast thing or my Sony TV?

D1E01492-B511-4DE7-A291-84D6F0C6FB5A.jpeg

New Poster

So it appears the issue was th Showtime Anytime app within my TV that I never use. Not with the Comcast box.  I just deleted the app. Hopefully that does the trick. 

Regular Visitor

Just deleted showtime anytime, let’s see if that does the trick. 

Expert

It looks like the video (picture on the screen with code) was caused by a failure on the app itself.

Sometimes around Christmas we can find a linear channel that is running continuous episodes with maybe no one, or only one person, working at the station supplying the signal. The equipment can fail and many times we only see the error screen, or worse in this case.

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Regular Visitor

It’s been almost 24 hours since deleting the the showtime anytime app and no more issues. That seemed to do it. 

New Poster

I am having the same problem with exactly the same text.  I timed it and it was happening every 59 minutes and 30 seconds.  I don’t watch Showtime and have never heard of these programs.  After calling Comcast and having them reset everything, unplugging TV, unplugging cable box....they said it must be the box.   Got a new box today and hooked it up and it is still doing it!  Maddening and infuriating!  

New Poster

How do you delete the Showtime Anytime app?  I can’t figure it out.  (Little ole lady!)

Diamond Problem Solver

It’s not Comcast related, it’s an app on your smart tv. You’ll have to look on your tv not the cable box.

New Poster

Never mind.  I figured it out.  

New Poster

Just deleted the app, we'll see what happens. If Comcast knows about this, why doesn;t comcast's custmomer service team know? Would have saved many angry phone calls

Diamond Problem Solver

1. I personally only found out by others posting
2. It has nothing to do with Comcast, that’s your personal equipment

New Poster

We’ve gotten several times on our Sony too. If you shut off the tv then turn it back on (using the top left button) it clears the error. It’s getting very irritating!
Diamond Problem Solver

Let showtime know, it’s their app
https://shodotcom.zendesk.com/hc/en-us?mobile_site=true

New Poster

Not just a showtime app issue.  I experienced the same screen after using the CBS ALL Access app on my Sony TV.  Can these apps be deleted?  I would love to know.  Thank you

Expert

@ScottyD77 wrote:

Not just a showtime app issue.  I experienced the same screen after using the CBS ALL Access app on my Sony TV.  Can these apps be deleted?  I would love to know.  Thank you

Yes. Apps can be deleted from smart tv's that you down-load to your section for used apps. They can then be found in the section listing apps for possible down-load for re-installing.

I have a Samsung tv, so you will need your Sony manual to learn how to do it.