Community Forum

El Rey is broadcast in HD why is it not provided in HD?

Frequent Visitor

El Rey is broadcast in HD why is it not provided in HD?

The El Rey network broadcasts in HD and you squeeze it down as if it's SD, WHY?

I can understand this behavior for the SD channels but for the HD channels it is being squashed on all four sides even when the network broadcasts SD - all four sides are black. Since it's being broadcast in HD and you're already receiving it in HD why not provide it to your customers as HD?

El Rey is not the only network this is happening on, there are others!!!

Frequent Visitor

Re: El Rey is broadcast in HD why is it not provided in HD?

@LG53 wrote:

The El Rey network broadcasts in HD and you squeeze it down as if it's SD, WHY?

I can understand this behavior for the SD channels but for the HD channels it is being squashed on all four sides even when the network broadcasts SD - all four sides are black. Since it's being broadcast in HD and you're already receiving it in HD why not provide it to your customers as HD?

El Rey is not the only network this is happening on, there are others!!!

I guess no one at Comcast wants to respond - that's sad.

Frequent Visitor

I'd be curious to know if this happens on all of your HD channels or just some.  If it's happening on all of them, I'd suggest adjusting your TV settings.  If it's only a few, it's more likely that the network itself is the one broadcasting that content and quality.  

Frequent Visitor

@bfree0890 wrote:

I'd be curious to know if this happens on all of your HD channels or just some.  If it's happening on all of them, I'd suggest adjusting your TV settings.  If it's only a few, it's more likely that the network itself is the one broadcasting that content and quality.  

No, just a handful. In some cases the networks are, indeed, broadcasting SD but in the case of El Rey they're broadcasting HD and Comcast is squeezing it on all four sides instead of passing it on to their customers as HD. Comcast has the network on two channels. The low number I would expect to be SD quality but the higher range, along side the other HD channels, should NOT be reduced in quality just to save some bandwidth to resell as xfinity Internet!!!

Frequent Visitor

Okay so, again, if you’re on an HD channel and the quality is not correct it can still be the broadcaster. In this case that would be el ray.

If it is Comcast they may be able to fix it, probably over the phone. Have you called to tech support yet to ask for some assistance in trouble shooting the issue?

It’s difficult to determine the culprit really. Though I highly doubt it’s being done on purpose to save on “bandwidth”. Especially since internet bandwidth and cable tv are two separate things.
Official Employee

El Rey is only broadcast in HD in some systems, unfortunately yours may not be one of them. There are 2 EL Rey channels that you are getting may be because one is a neighborhood channel. For information on neighborhood channels
https://www.xfinity.com/channelneighborhoods/

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

@ComcastAndrew wrote:
El Rey is only broadcast in HD in some systems, unfortunately yours isn’t one of them.

Why, since it's being received by Comcast in HD?

I can understand the lower number channels for basic cable but I pay for HD and I'm simply not getting it - this is what's wrong; Comcast has it they just won't pipe it to their customers. WHY?

You've done this before, by mistake, and after calling support repeatedly they finally restored full HD on a channel that was always supposed to be HD. This was not something I did, it was an oversight on the part of Comcast and took repeated queries to get remedied. If El Rey wasn't being received by Comcast in HD I could understand the issue - but it IS being received by Comcast in HD and Comcast is squeezing it down as if it's SD on an HD channel. Again, WHY???

Bottom line, I pay for HD service above the price of standard cable, why am I not viewing HD when it's obviously available. Last question, does Comcast give a dang about its customers or just the money they get paid BY those customers?

Frequent Visitor

It’s difficult to determine the culprit really. Though I highly doubt it’s being done on purpose to save on “bandwidth”. Especially since internet bandwidth and cable tv are two separate things.

They are different but they travel down the same fiber and across the same coax so bandwidth can become an issue since the pipe size is limited. I used to do that for a living.<g>

@bfree0890 wrote:
Okay so, again, if you’re on an HD channel and the quality is not correct it can still be the broadcaster. In this case that would be el ray.

It's being broadcast in HD and received by Comcast in HD. Comcast is squeezing the image to fit an SD system on BOTH channels El Rey is provided on. For HD customers, like myself, it should not be squeezed, it should be piped as HD.

If it is Comcast they may be able to fix it, probably over the phone. Have you called to tech support yet to ask for some assistance in trouble shooting the issue?

I have, they haven't.

My biggest grip is that I, and other HD customers - at least in my viewing area, aren't getting what we pay for and I really don't like paying for something I'm not getting. I've run the gamut with providers in this area. I began with Comcast since it was the only offering. I switched to Knology when it became available - for better service. When its service went downhill I switched to AT&T and when their service declined I went back to Comcast. I suppose it's time for Dish!<g>